5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just realized something serious/bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 08:33 AM
It's business time.

Just realized something serious/bad

My car got broken into a few months back and they took my backpack. One thing I JUST remembered was in it was my spare key and fob. I know it was a really stupid thing to have my backpack in my car and an even dumber thing to have my spare key in the bag.

What should I do. I know it costs a lot of money to reprogram the key but will that still allow someone access to the interior?
Old 11-15-2004, 08:39 AM
It's chrome alright...

Months?

Don't worry about it. If it happened yesterday or last week I'd consider getting it re-keyed/re-fobbed (is that a word?) but it's been months...probably thrown away long ago.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:12 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
Months?

Don't worry about it. If it happened yesterday or last week I'd consider getting it re-keyed/re-fobbed (is that a word?) but it's been months...probably thrown away long ago.
Would you feel comfortable having your car parked on the street while visiting your GF. I do it every day. I guess it has only been 1 month, but still, they could be scoping it out, waiting for the perfect moment. I am going to the station today to add it to my report, if that is possible.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:21 AM

if you are really worried, go buy one of those GPS tracking modules (i know they are expensive) and hide it in your car. if the bastards come and get the car, you can track the GPS thing and give it to the police. thats the only way i can see other than changing the locks and the key code. if its been a month i wouldnt worry about it. it was probably someone just trying to get some extra cash, but grand theft auto is something only serious criminals do.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:21 AM
It's chrome alright...

Oh, definitely add it to the report and if insurance will pay, do it. But think about how many times you've already parked there with nothing happening...you think someone would steal the key and wait months before using it?

Where was the bag stolen? Was it stolen from your car while it was parked at your g/f's house? Was it stolen from your driveway? If the answer to both of those is 'no' then think about how many 2000 black maximas are there, and how would they even find yours?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:27 AM
It's business time.

Oh, definitely add it to the report and if insurance will pay, do it. But think about how many times you've already parked there with nothing happening...you think someone would steal the key and wait months before using it?

Where was the bag stolen? Was it stolen from your car while it was parked at your g/f's house? Was it stolen from your driveway? If the answer to both of those is 'no' then think about how many 2000 black maximas are there, and how would they even find yours?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

The car was parked in an on-campus lot with a temporary parking pass on it. I spent the night at her on-campus apartment and when I went to leave the next morning it had been broken into. I was just considering a worst case scenario where one guy sold the key to another telling him he sees the car around the area a bunch, usually at nighttime, and then they would attack at the best moment.

I don't know.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:52 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by ABDomega
The car was parked in an on-campus lot with a temporary parking pass on it. I spent the night at her on-campus apartment and when I went to leave the next morning it had been broken into. I was just considering a worst case scenario where one guy sold the key to another telling him he sees the car around the area a bunch, usually at nighttime, and then they would attack at the best moment.
It *could* happen but I wouldn't worry about it....just trying to calm your fears a little. If something was going to happen it would have already.

The only thing I'd consider is

1. never park in that lot again.

2. turn off the horn chirp when you push the fob button. That way if someone has the fob he won't be able to "scan" a parking lot by just pushing the button, and he'd pretty much have to have your car in sight...reduces the chances of someone "finding" it.

I'd do those, but inthe same circumstance I wouldn't re-key/re-fob.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:05 PM
It's business time.

It *could* happen but I wouldn't worry about it....just trying to calm your fears a little. If something was going to happen it would have already.

The only thing I'd consider is

1. never park in that lot again.

2. turn off the horn chirp when you push the fob button. That way if someone has the fob he won't be able to "scan" a parking lot by just pushing the button, and he'd pretty much have to have your car in sight...reduces the chances of someone "finding" it.

I'd do those, but inthe same circumstance I wouldn't re-key/re-fob.
Thanks for the reassuranace. I haven't nor will I ever park my car in that lot again and I advise other people not to also. My horn chirp is already off and if I remember, that fob didn't work well in the first place (buttons were really soft and you had to push very hard and be in close proximity to the car for it to work.

I'm just worried because I was planning on getting a Pioneer AVIC-N1 and was afraid someone would try to steal it. But I guess if I take it out every time I leave the car I'll be ok.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WTF is a fob? lol, keep seeing it and when someone says what it is, i'm going to feel pretty stupid. Is it the remote or something?
Old 11-15-2004, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Devils Fan
WTF is a fob? lol, keep seeing it and when someone says what it is, i'm going to feel pretty stupid. Is it the remote or something?

lol. a Key fob is your keyless entry remote. with the lock unlock, trunk buttons on it.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:53 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by NJ Devils Fan
It's a little azn that follows you around saying "fi dolla, fi dolla!" ... fob, you know... fresh-off-the-boat
Old 11-15-2004, 06:23 PM

dude get an aftermarket alarm like viper if you use the stock remote it sets the car alarm of, that is prolly a good idea if you are gonna get any equipment anyways, that was the first thing i did to my car and still the best investment i have ever made, i can park my car anywhere with 1,200 dollars of stereo equipment in it and not worry one bit. besides the viper alarm disables the ignition if it goes off anyways. also viper will insure your car up to like 2,500 dollars anyways it might be more than that. so i would just shell out the 200 dollars and not worry about anyone even touching your car...........duh!
Old 11-15-2004, 09:17 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by midnightmax01
dude get an aftermarket alarm like viper if you use the stock remote it sets the car alarm of, that is prolly a good idea if you are gonna get any equipment anyways, that was the first thing i did to my car and still the best investment i have ever made, i can park my car anywhere with 1,200 dollars of stereo equipment in it and not worry one bit. besides the viper alarm disables the ignition if it goes off anyways. also viper will insure your car up to like 2,500 dollars anyways it might be more than that. so i would just shell out the 200 dollars and not worry about anyone even touching your car...........duh!
Can you transplant your Viper into a new car when you get one?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:01 AM

Maybe the criminals haven't stolen it yet because they don't know how to drive stick, lol. Just trying to put your mind at ease, buddy.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:45 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by midnightmax01
i can park my car anywhere with 1,200 dollars of stereo equipment in it and not worry one bit. besides the viper alarm disables the ignition if it goes off anyways. also viper will insure your car up to like 2,500 dollars anyways it might be more than that. so i would just shell out the 200 dollars and not worry about anyone even touching your car...........duh!
That's pretty ignorant...all they have to do is smash the window and take your stuff...thieves don't care if the alarm is going off while they take your stuff, but the noise is kind of annoying.

Will viper pay if someone does that? (hint: no)
Old 11-16-2004, 04:46 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by ABDomega
Can you transplant your Viper into a new car when you get one?
Yes, but many people just raise the price by $200 when they're selling the old car to cover the cost of installing the new one.

Also, consider this carefully...an aftermarket alarm would not have stopped what happened to your car so it is worth it? If you're nervous and are willing to spend $200, get new keys/fobs.