5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

how to tell need replace belts

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 12:02 PM

how to tell need replace belts

I was told that I might need to get my timing belt replaced before it breaks...how do you tell if it in fact needs to be replaced, or how do you tell if any belts need to be replaced? Im afraid of waiting until I "hear a noise" because the last time I did that, it ruined a 626 (which is why I have the maxima now)...Im just wondering if there is anything I could look out for so that I will know when it needs to be replaced...or should I just take it into Nissan and have them tell me? I would also like to know about other belts and what to look out for...TIA
Old 11-15-2004, 12:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

You have a timing CHAIN.

No maintenance.

And as far as drive belts, it's in your owners manual as how often.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:19 PM

yea timing chain definitely, someone was ****ing with you. your drive belts should be replaced......note should, ~60k. However i did mine at 110 the other day, and they weren't bad, i've seen people go 150k, but i would say do it every 80-100k, unless you're hearing noises, as for the chain, it's not a service item, and when it goes, just lay a kiss on your wheel, and begin shopping....
Old 11-15-2004, 02:30 PM

BlackbirdVQ said to replaced around 200K miles, by that time I will be rolling in a nicer car. yea, the drive belt need to be repalced around 60K miles.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:46 AM

ok, thank you for your responses...one thing I noticed, and it may have nothing to do with belts, or chains...but I notice that if I dont let my car heat up and just start driving, my fuel gauge goes to E...even if it is at F when I start out driving, itll go all the way to E, then hop back up a little bit, and keep doing this for a while...anyone know what causes that...I really didnt wanna start a new thread for this...cuz I dont like starting new threads...but hopefully someone will look back here and know why this happens, if it seriously is just the cold engine, then fine, but just wanna make sure it isnt something I need to fix. And thanks everyone for your responses, my mind is at ease about belts...timing chain Ive heard can seriously **** up a car if it breaks, other belts I guess Ill just wait until I hear a sound which should mean they are just worn and not broken (I watch out for just about any sound...Im real particular about things...I took my max in cause it wasnt driving right, and was told that my alignment was off a tad...thats how bad I am LOL). Thanks again...and if someone could answer the above question, itd be great
Old 11-16-2004, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by thread
ok, thank you for your responses...one thing I noticed, and it may have nothing to do with belts, or chains...but I notice that if I dont let my car heat up and just start driving, my fuel gauge goes to E...even if it is at F when I start out driving, itll go all the way to E, then hop back up a little bit, and keep doing this for a while...anyone know what causes that...I really didnt wanna start a new thread for this...cuz I dont like starting new threads...but hopefully someone will look back here and know why this happens, if it seriously is just the cold engine, then fine, but just wanna make sure it isnt something I need to fix. And thanks everyone for your responses, my mind is at ease about belts...timing chain Ive heard can seriously **** up a car if it breaks, other belts I guess Ill just wait until I hear a sound which should mean they are just worn and not broken (I watch out for just about any sound...Im real particular about things...I took my max in cause it wasnt driving right, and was told that my alignment was off a tad...thats how bad I am LOL). Thanks again...and if someone could answer the above question, itd be great
hey man I live in Lilburn too, where did you take your car?
Old 11-16-2004, 10:48 AM

Big 10 on Dogwood Road (past QT) and Big 10 on 29 and Tires Plus on Piedmont is where I normally go...Dont think im going back to the one on 29...theyre the ones who said it was off a tad, but I bought the lifetime alignment at the one on dogwood, they have a computerized system there (the one on 29 does not)...also, dont think Ill ever go back to Tires Plus (if it wasnt for my 10% discount, dont think Id ever have gone)
Old 11-16-2004, 06:48 PM

Chains and belts

Yeah, had my timing belt snap in mid-drive on a car I had years ago. When that happens on these imports, you can kiss your valves and, for all intensive purposes, your car goodbye (unless you have $1000+ for the repair).

As far as the other belts, generally you should replace them if you notice them fraying or cracking on the surfaces.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by thread
Big 10 on Dogwood Road (past QT) and Big 10 on 29 and Tires Plus on Piedmont is where I normally go...Dont think im going back to the one on 29...theyre the ones who said it was off a tad, but I bought the lifetime alignment at the one on dogwood, they have a computerized system there (the one on 29 does not)...also, dont think Ill ever go back to Tires Plus (if it wasnt for my 10% discount, dont think Id ever have gone)
yeh there aren't many good mechanics around here. I usually take my car to a fellow .org member to help me out. You wouldn't believe the bs local mechanics have tried to tell me....
Old 11-16-2004, 10:08 PM

I would like to find a fellow org member to help me out...Ive got grounding wires from a few months back that I havent even had put on...but I dunno who to ask if they would help me...Im also getting struts...so if you ask the member if he is willing to do these things for me, and he says yea, it would be really great...then just like pm me (in case he doesnt want his name posted as a helper)...I really dont wanna take the struts to big 10 and have them put them on, cuz they always do stuff wrong to my cars (ive taken multiple cars to them, and something always goes wrong)...I would really appreciate it tho.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:34 AM

That's an odd one where your fuel gauge is at E when you have a cold engine then goes back to F after it's heated up. I'm thinking there's something wrong with your relay float, that's usually found in the gas tank, but I'm not certain.