5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone Experiencing THIS malody.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 11:02 AM

Anyone Experiencing THIS malody.....

Under accleration in 1st or 2nd gear (MT), from a start or standing start -- I'm hearing a "clicking sound" from the right front wheel. NOT grinding, just lite clicking or more specifically a TICKING sound.

It's NOT the ABS "spring" sound - I'm familiar with this.

My GUESS is, that it may be the first signs of a bad Universal Joint, or bad wheel bearing - but I only have 28k miles, and the car is pristine.

With THAT said, I do have Progress Springs and Tok Illuminas - so I'm slightly worried that a trip to the stealer for diagnosis, will result in the usual "aftermarket parts" scenario.
Naturally, I am aware that if they can't PROVE it was caused by those parts -then it's not up for debate....however, they might have me on this one if it's what I THINK it is.

If anyone has or IS experiencing this sound/symptom with a lowered ride, your feedback would be appreciated!

Also - anyone experiencing any SQUEAKING from their Progress Springs on Full-Lock turns?? Getting colder now (40-50's), so maybe that's the cause --still, annoying and making me wonder. All noises are coming from the right front wheel.

thanks for any help,
gr
Old 11-19-2004, 11:09 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
Under accleration in 1st or 2nd gear (MT), from a start or standing start -- I'm hearing a "clicking sound" from the right front wheel. NOT grinding, just lite clicking or more specifically a TICKING sound.

It's NOT the ABS "spring" sound - I'm familiar with this.

My GUESS is, that it may be the first signs of a bad Universal Joint, or bad wheel bearing - but I only have 28k miles, and the car is pristine.
Start with the easy stuff...make sure there's not a nail or rock in the treads. I had a nail in there so long the head had worn off but my tire hadn't lost any air... I found it when it got warm and I drove with the windows down for the first time in a few weeks.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:18 AM

i hear the same exact noise from the front left...is sound like a ticking sound sort of when i go over slight bumps....i also have teins with illuminas...most likely its a joint or a bearing...ill check it out with my mechanic...if u fix first post wat it was if i get it done first ill let u know....
Old 11-19-2004, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by greekmax2k1
i hear the same exact noise from the front left...is sound like a ticking sound sort of when i go over slight bumps....i also have teins with illuminas...most likely its a joint or a bearing...ill check it out with my mechanic...if u fix first post wat it was if i get it done first ill let u know....
Will do - thanks Greek!

I'm going to the stealer next week for a SES Code reset, and I'll see if they can give me an idea what it is.

gr
Old 11-26-2004, 10:43 AM

No news

Just got back from the stealer.

Mechanic stated it was NOT the wheel bearing or the CV boot.
Both were fine. No HUGE surprise.

He guessed that it MIGHT be coming from the strut (strut bearing?) on that side, but I'm not so sure about that.
If I had stock struts, I'd suspect the bearings there....but I have illuminas with 10k miles on 'em.

Hmmmm --- may have to let this one play out a little longer to see what develops.

gr