5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

just fogs

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 01:10 PM

just fogs

forgive me if this has already been addressed, but i did look around for hours and hours for something like it. i just saw how to keep fogs on when the high beams are on.

i ultimately want to have just the fogs on while driving. if i turn the parking lights on, my colored bulbs on the side markers go on and i want them off so they look clear. saw a maxima the other day that had all the lights off except the fogs. pretty sure it was an 02 though. do they have seperate controls for the fogs, or is there a way i can wire the 01 to do the same?

thanks

...so many things to ask as a newbie, where do i start???
Old 11-23-2004, 01:38 PM
dot dot dot ...

It's in the FAQ how tos, under Foglight re-wire.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
It's in the FAQ how tos, under Foglight re-wire.
no its not. the re-wire in there taps the fog into the parking lights.
i dont know of anyone who has bothered to figure out how to do just the fogs. you would have to find another power source to tap into
Old 11-23-2004, 03:23 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

thats diffrent, maybe the car you saw blew a fuse. otherwise I would like to know also..
Old 11-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
thats diffrent, maybe the car you saw blew a fuse. otherwise I would like to know also..
or took the bulbs out
Old 11-23-2004, 03:38 PM

cuz, technacly we use the parking lights for power right. if you take a power source from the "batt" lets say its probably possible to do that. so he probably put them on a switch on its own.

feedback on this theory please............
Old 11-23-2004, 03:45 PM

i figured i'd have to hard wire the fogs to a power source and switch them, i was just wondering if there was an easier way. ill post when i hard wire them.

i didnt think i saw it in FAQ's...i looked in there forever!
Old 11-23-2004, 03:45 PM

right thats what I was thinking. so the batt wire goes to the wire that we spliced right.......but insted it would be hooked up to the batt.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:48 PM
dot dot dot ...

It would be a long wire but could be done.

Then the fogs would be a stand alone system. Correct?

Or splicing using only a ground source, because that's how the 4th gen re-wire works, all they need is a ground, it could be different, but everything looks similar.

This was borrowed from the 4th gen, and the 5th gen also is similar, so food for thought.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The wires leading to the FR FOG LAMP relay (motor-facing-right, when the cover is on, refer to the relay cover if you are confused) You will need to find the trigger line for the fog lights (it should be green with a yellow stripe) Cut this wire. Tape off the wire leading down with electrical tape so that it doesn't short on anything. Strip back the wire going up into the relay. Now take 3-4 inches of thick insulated wire (at least as thick as the g/y foglight trigger, and 'connect' one end to the g/y stripe fog trigger going into the relay.

9. Now that you are no longer using the headlights (low beam) as a 'circuit' completer, you can find another wire to tap into for a trigger to complete the circuit (meaning give power to your foglights) For this, the best wire to tap would be one only on with ACC, or one turn from the key. in this mod, we will tap into the wiper relay. use the relay cover again as a reference to find the wiper relay. It should be the motor-facing middle relay (or the third from the left when closed) You will need to strip back the light green wire (NOT CUT) and connect the other end of your 3-4" wire to it. You may also use a wire tap, but I prefer a strong, twisted wire connection myself. Again, when you have a good connection, cover the wire VERY well. I used electrical tape

10. You have now completed the circuit using an accessory (the windshield wipers) Before we put everything back together, we need to test it out to make sure we did everything right. Replace the FR FOG LAMP relay, and reconnect the positive terminal of the battery. Now turn the key to ACC, and turn on your foglights. If you did everything correctly, they should work! Test them with your windshield wipers on, as well as corner lamps, low beams and high beams. all good? GREAT!! you've done everything correctly. no fogs? uh oh, something with your car is NOT the same as a 95 SE, OR you will have to go back and check your steps.

11. If the foglights worked, you can now put everything back together, and show off those fogs By themselves.
Make sure to tighten that postive battery terminal, replace all relays, replace any screws that were undone, and check your engine bay for loose tools.

I know this has been over many times, but I finally got my foglights working how I wanted them to be. Independent of everything, any not when car is off. Only when key is turned.

This is not the same as the foglight rewire which taps into the corner light. This only requires 3-4 inches of wire, which does not leave the fuse box. This is very simple and takes approximately 5-10 minutes to do.

This was done on a 95 SE, so if anything on your car is different, you may need to do further research (as far as wire colors, relay locations etc.) however I'm not positive, as my car is the only one I've personally done this on. Do this mod at your own risk, as I'm not responsible for anything that you do wrong. Forgive my rambling, I'm not the best at write-ups. anyways people here it is...
Old 11-23-2004, 06:23 PM

there are a couple of ways you could do it all very simple, unfortunately with all of them you will be isolating the fog light circuit from the 'Headlight Light Battery Saver Control Unit". that neat little device that shuts your lights when the key is in off position after 45 sec you open the door. although it could be wired through the HLBSCU, it would involve a lot more than I want to get into

First you have to get into the box containing the fog light relay on the passenger side of the engine compartment, follow any one of the write-ups available if you need help doing this, once inside cut the yellow wire(wire color on 2K, terminal will be the same regardless of year) going to terminal 1(printed on bottom of relay) of the fog light relay,making sure leave a few inches of wire going into Terminal 1, (be sure to securely cap/tape the remainder of the wire that is leaving the box as this will be live when headlight are turned on). Using a wire spice connector the cut piece of wire extending from T1 of the fog light relay, can now be tapped into:

1) the orange wire from Terminal 3 of the fog light relay. - fog lights can be turned on independent of head/parking lights or ignition switch position.

OR

2) the pink/blue wire from Terminal 1 of the A/C relay located in the same box. -this will allow the fog lights to operate independent of head/parking light but only when the ignition switch is in the on position.

OR (though not asked, this is easier than other methods I have seen)

3) to the red/green wire from Terminal 5 on the tail lamp relay. -fog lights operational when parking light are on, and will be controlled by Headlight Light Battery Saver Control Unit.

with all three of these methods, the new fog light circuits will be protected by fuses in the circuits they tap into.

The fog lights will still be defeated by the high beams in all these configurations, to avoid this you must open up the steering column and cut the green/yellow wire that runs between the fog light portion of the combination switch (terminal 32*) to the lighting switch portion (terminal 7**) and ground the wire that connects to the fog lamp (T32)

conectors as veiwed with wires exiting the rear (away from veiwer ).
X = locking portion

* [ ][32][31]X

** [ X ]
[5][7][6][12]