5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nissan Customer Relations, 5th Gen vs. 2002 Altima Explanation

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001 | 01:46 PM

Has anyone spoken with Nissan Customer Relations about the current Maxima and the recently announced 2002 Altima? I spoke with them today. I just let them know that I have some concerns and that I don't think that enough consideration was given to Nissan's current Maxima ownership base.

The Rep said that the Maxima will still differentiate itself on features that won't be available in the Altima. He didn't say what features specifically. I sensed it was a "hot seat" type of answer. So I mentioned the statement by the Nissan N. American product VP made during the Altima announcement "When Nissan asked consumers what they want, many said that the Maxima was too big and the Altima wasn't big enough". I told him that I don't believe the Maxima is that much bigger than Camry, Accord or Taurus.

So he says that he doesn't know what the next generation Maxima will hold but he's sure that it will be a very different car from the soon to be introduced Altima. I followed up with "I don't own the next generation Maxima" and that "I'm not so sure I'm interested in Maxima after the events that took place over the last week. Besides, it doesn't appear that there will be any announcements regarding the Maxima in the near future".

I also told him that I think Nissan did a poor job of considering its current Maxima ownership base with this announcement. I also added that Nissan should have communicated its plans about the Maxima before making this announcement. I said "When Nissan advertises the Maxima as a Flagship, careful consideration should be given to its Flagship ownership base before making such an announcement. Nissan failed to do that." Then I added, "Nissan should be concerned with the owners it is impacting with such a decision and that I am very disappointed in its lack of acknowledgment toward its current Maxima ownership base".

Then I finished with, "I like the Maxima. I purchased it because it was a different car from the more mainstream Camry, Accord and Taurus. But, after experiencing a few quality problems with it and the recent announcement regarding the Altima, I will be selling my Maxima ASAP. And, I won't be buying another Nissan again."

The rep then quickly proceeded to get my contact information. I was told by the rep that they'll forward my comments to the Marketing dept. I'd like to know if anyone has done anything similar and if any feedback has been given.

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2001 | 03:45 PM

I just don't understand all the 5th generation Maxima owners who are so upset at Nissan over the new Altima.

The Altima is going through an evolutionary change. It has to in order for Nissan to stay competitive with Honda's Accord, Toyota's Camary, and Ford's Taurus. At the same time, Nissan had nothing to compete with Toyota's Avalon / Lexus GS300, so the Maxima needed to go full-size to get Toyota there. Ideally, it would have worked out better for us if both these changes happened during the same model year, but we can't always have it that way. Instead, we get that one-year overlap where the Altima seems to be better than the Maxima.

I say: 'So what?!?'

Does the announcement of the 2002 Altima change your view and love (?) of the Maxima you currently own so much? Do you all of a sudden consider your Maxima a piece of ***t? Of course not! Whatever 5th generation Maxima you have right now, and even next year's 'last-of-the-mid-size-Maximas,' will be one of the better cars on the road no matter what. Nissan never said that it will replace the Maxima with the Altima as its flagship car. The specs for next year's best Maxima should still be better overall than the best Altima. That flagship image will just blur a bit for 2002, but should come back into focus with the all new 2003 Maxima.

Just like computers, there will always be something better and faster. It's only a matter of time. Nobody can prevent that from happening. So just like computers, we need to enjoy what we have and use it to its fullest. The car you took so much time to research and decide on should have some kind of personal value to you that should be worth a LOT more than anything else.

I'm not mad at Nissan for what they are doing for the Altima because I know they have to do it. I'm sad that the Maxima will no longer be a mid-size sports sedan in 2003, but again, Nissan has to do it. I do, however, love my 2001 SE regardless, and at the same time, I can't wait to see the new Altima.

Sorry for rambling.
Old 04-18-2001 | 04:15 PM
Got Bent?

KennyLau : well said I agree
Old 04-18-2001 | 09:22 PM

No apology needed!

Originally posted by KennyLau
I just don't understand all the 5th generation Maxima owners who are so upset at Nissan over the new Altima.

The Altima is going through an evolutionary change. It has to in order for Nissan to stay competitive with Honda's Accord, Toyota's Camary, and Ford's Taurus. At the same time, Nissan had nothing to compete with Toyota's Avalon / Lexus GS300, so the Maxima needed to go full-size to get Toyota there. Ideally, it would have worked out better for us if both these changes happened during the same model year, but we can't always have it that way. Instead, we get that one-year overlap where the Altima seems to be better than the Maxima.

Does the announcement of the 2002 Altima change your view and love (?) of the Maxima you currently own so much? Do you all of a sudden consider your Maxima a piece of ***t? Of course not! Whatever 5th generation Maxima you have right now, and even next year's 'last-of-the-mid-size-Maximas,' will be one of the better cars on the road no matter what. Nissan never said that it will replace the Maxima with the Altima as its flagship car. The specs for next year's best Maxima should still be better overall than the best Altima. That flagship image will just blur a bit for 2002, but should come back into focus with the all new 2003 Maxima.

Just like computers, there will always be something better and faster. It's only a matter of time. Nobody can prevent that from happening. So just like computers, we need to enjoy what we have and use it to its fullest. The car you took so much time to research and decide on should have some kind of personal value to you that should be worth a LOT more than anything else.

I'm not mad at Nissan for what they are doing for the Altima because I know they have to do it. I'm sad that the Maxima will no longer be a mid-size sports sedan in 2003, but again, Nissan has to do it. I do, however, love my 2001 SE regardless, and at the same time, I can't wait to see the new Altima.

Sorry for rambling.
You are Exactly Right! You seem well informed and also knew what you wanted when you made your purchase unlike the few grumbling Max owners. I, like you ,LOVE my Fifth Gen Max and knew that the styling change was coming thru my subscription to Car and Driver. This does not mean I don't want the sixth gen but for now, and for ME, MAX Only Baby!!
Old 04-19-2001 | 12:26 PM

here! here!.. well said.

Sorry for rambling.
i remember when my friend bought like a 1st gen max (remember those talking ones? and i though it was cool. then his friend had the 2nd gen (remember the MegaMax series?), and my wife (then girlfriend) had the 3rd gen which i fell in love with (performance and reliability was AWESOME in that thing). my parents then bought the 4th gen and i followed later trading in my 3rd gen for the 5th. i've enjoyed every one of them. if this 5th gen is going to be the last of the midsize, i'm glad i got it before they made it a fullsize. i'm still enjoying myself modding and tweeking and when i'm done, i'll love it even more.

kafene.
Old 04-19-2001 | 12:52 PM

I love my Maxima too..and will wait and see what Nissan has in store for 2002/2003. I want to have my loan paid off before I sell my Maxima. I am not fuming because I know that new cars don't stay "new" for that long.
I think it comes down to people always wanting the best. Well, you know what...go and buy a 2002 Altima. Then you'll be stewing when the 2003 Maxima comes out because you don't have "the best".
If case you don't know, Nissan designers are working on cars for 2005 right now. Will everyone get upset if they don't tell us about those projects for 2 years in advance??
If you bought your car in late 2000-2001, and if you read this board,you knew that a new v-6 Altima was on the way. So you should have just waited.
Old 04-19-2001 | 02:04 PM

quit whining

wtf? are you serious? are we still doing april fools gags?

when they came out with the new 911 turbo, i sold all my other porsches and will never buy another one again, cause they all suck now or somthing. same thing happened to me and my collection of M3's when they released the M5.
Old 04-19-2001 | 02:13 PM

Differences between 2002 Altima and Maxima

The 2002 Altima will not really be a better car than the 2002 Max. The SE Altima 3.5L will most definately be a great car...but the rest of them (S and SL) will only have the 2.5L.

Besides the 2002 Maxima getting the 3.5L STANDARD (should have at least 20 more hp than the Altima SE) it should also get HID headlamps, standard side-impact airbags, and a six-disc in-dash changer. I would also look for the Max to get the same letter designations as the Altima ...."S", "SL", "SE". Nissan will probably have to offer most of this equipment standard on the Maxima to sell them over an Altima SE.

As far as the 2002 Altima being better than the 2000-2001 Maxima...well, at least the Altima will not come standard with the 3.5L (only on SE) and I still think the Maxima is still a VERY good looking car! The general public will probably never really know or care that the 2002 Altima SE "might" outperform a 2000-01 Maxima. Most people will continue to believe the Maxima (ultimate/maximum) is better than the Altima (alternate).

One more thing...I believe this is quite unpresidented in the auto industry for a company to move one car up (Alt) into and beyond the size of their flagship (Max). Bet you'll never see the Camry moved up to be bigger than the Avalon!
Old 04-19-2001 | 02:25 PM

Re: quit whining

Originally posted by tb420
wtf? are you serious? are we still doing april fools gags?

when they came out with the new 911 turbo, i sold all my other porsches and will never buy another one again, cause they all suck now or somthing. same thing happened to me and my collection of M3's when they released the M5.
Old 04-19-2001 | 04:26 PM

What I'd like to know is how many of you would have purchased your Max if it was a Toyota Avalon equivalent? Furthermore, the only way Nissan could compete with the Lexus GS is through its Infiniti line. So let's not get ahead of ourselves on speculation about where Nissan is going to position the Maxima from a luxury and performance standpoint.

Rather than speculate about the next gen Max, I think more attention should be given to how the Altima announcment impacts the current Max. I like my Maxima as much as the next guy/girl but I'm not going to "okey doke" any product announcement that puts the flagship in the back seat. Why? Because we all paid good money for the Maxima. And I don't think any of us are willing to see the value of the car go down the toilet shortly after purchasing it.

Would you be feeling this good if Mercedes positioned its E-Class ahead of its S-Class? If the Civic jumped the Accord? The Beam 3 jumped the 5?

I don't think the Altima will be a better car than the Maxima. It will surely cannibalize Maxima sales, however.

So for all of you who say quit whining, I say "quit fantasizing"!
Old 04-19-2001 | 04:36 PM

In regards to your Mercedes comment. I think you compare the Altima/Maxima conflict to buying a S500 (S-class)or an E-55 (e-class) . The E55 is a smaller car but has better performance. Big deal...someone who wants an S-class is going to buy an S-class. The new Altima will not flush our resale values down the toilet. Why can you fetch well over $15K for used 4th Gen when clearly there is a newer model out?? Because the Maxima has a nitch and holds its value as a performance oriented sedan. Someone who wants a Maxima will buy a Maxima!!
Old 04-19-2001 | 04:43 PM

Originally posted by NYC2SD
In regards to your Mercedes comment. I think you compare the Altima/Maxima conflict to buying a S500 (S-class)or an E-55 (e-class) . The E55 is a smaller car but has better performance. Big deal...someone who wants an S-class is going to buy an S-class. The new Altima will not flush our resale values down the toilet. Why can you fetch well over $15K for used 4th Gen when clearly there is a newer model out?? Because the Maxima has a nitch and holds its value as a performance oriented sedan. Someone who wants a Maxima will buy a Maxima!!
Okay, so the S-Class/E-Class remark was a little extreme! I get your point!

Anyway, I've had a little time to think it over. I like my Maxima. I don't particularly care for the new Altima (from what I've seen anyway), regardless of its specs. So I'm going to hold on and continue to enjoy my Maxima, even though it seems to like to visit Nissan Service a lot. I'll just hope that whatever the next gen Maxima holds will be in the spirit of all the Maximas that have ever been produced.
Old 04-19-2001 | 04:43 PM
jwletourneau

Did you guys know that next year Subaru is planning on selling in the US a WRX Sti with 280 hp and better everything than the hot new 227 hp WRX? What do you think that this is going to do to the resale value of 2002 WRX's? You guessed it, it is going to drop the value of these cars through the roof and that is after only one year of offering limited the production WRX.
Anyway, I had a great 80 mile ride home from work tonight. And I am looking forward to having many more before I'm done with my 2000 Maxima. I'm almost looking forward to being a member of the Maxima forum that doesn't reside at the top of the list.
Old 04-20-2001 | 05:46 PM

Sorry for rambling.
Kenny, I couldn't have wrote a better statement myself. I personally feel that if they did such a great job with the new Altima, I can't wait to see what the new Maxima will be like. In the mean time, I'm still in love with my Max!
Old 04-20-2001 | 11:50 PM

One more thing to add...

Our 5th Gen Maximas will probably be the last imported Maximas.
Old 04-21-2001 | 07:05 AM
EZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: One more thing to add...

Originally posted by warrlocked
Our 5th Gen Maximas will probably be the last imported Maximas.
To bad they're gonna start making cars here Anyway, I figure that Nissan is at a transition point from old school to new school. The Max will get bigger, the Alty will replace the Max, then you have the Sentra. But if you want more power and slightly smaller than Alty, you also have a choice from Infinity (the XVL) which probably comes with the 3.5L VQ. Thats just for the sedans. Later we'll get the Z and maybe a Z roadster

EZ
Old 04-21-2001 | 07:55 AM

Everything changes. I know my 2K1 is not going to be a peice of crap because the 2002 Altima has 13HP more. Oh my! A good deal of us are moding the cars through the roof anyway, creating more HP than your stock Altima. I don't own a Altima or have ever looked for mods on Altimas, but I guess guess their isn't a whole lot of them out there. I could be wrong, and I am sure they will be on their way. But just because the Altima might be faster, doesn't mean our 5th Gens is trash. We are talking about FWD 4 door sedans here, they were not meant to be dragsters and top speed machines. They are touring/sport sedans. If you want a fast car, go buy a Stang or a Vette or something like that, and mod that. Anyways, I am guessing not too many folks will get the V6 Altima, they will be too cheap for it. I don't know how many low end V6 Mustangs I see a day, or low end Firebirds ect... It makes me laugh, they wanted a sporty looking car, but couldn't afford the better engine. I think we will see alot of 2.5's running around, and I think our 5th Gen Maxi's can take them.
Old 04-21-2001 | 08:34 AM

Altima vs Maxima

Has anyone stopped to think that the current sentra is about the size the 1st and 2nd gen max was? Can you imagine if the max had stayed at that size/class level?

Guys, calm down. I too am a bit surprised that Nissan would bump the altima up in size and scope, but let's be honest, currently, it's not a very exciting car, and needs an overhaul. Its mission as an economy car is complete, it's time for it to mature.

Regarding the Maxima, I, too, thought when the 4th came out it was beginning to stray from its roots. And the 5th gen seemed to come closer to home. However, if any of you have old 3rd gen sales brouchures, take notice how back then, the 5 speed SE model was showcased ahead of the GXE. Now, they seem to be showcasing the GLE; there's not even a picture of a 5 speed in the brouchure!

That should tell you where they are trying to position the Maxima. I will lament the passing of the mid-size car, and certainly hope that they keep a stick in the produce mix. If not, this will probably be my last Max (and based on the paint quality of the car, almost guaranteed it will be my last!)

I think we will all be pleasantly surprised when the next Max comes out. There are too many SE maximas on the road for them to ignore that particular trim line.

I guess that's all I have to say. Well, one last thing. If you don't like the new one, then, well, just keep your old one!!

srm
Old 04-21-2001 | 09:02 AM

Your comments are all well thought out...

We bought our Max's for what they are...great vehicle for the money...

Life goes on...progress, etc... which does not detract from the fact that the 5th gen is one helluva great car...

The computer analogy is the best one...buy it today, & it's already dated...cpu, harddrive, soundcard advances, etc...

Never look back & bite your fingers...as long as you've done your homework ahead of time...
Old 04-21-2001 | 09:29 AM

Don't forget the torque. 217 for us vs. 246 for them. You can feel that in the seat of your pants.
Old 04-21-2001 | 02:01 PM

Well said everyone. There is a lot of sound reasoning here. I'm one of those 5th gen'ers that did my homework, found out the specs on the new Alt and Max, scoped the competition, and still chose to purchase my 2K1 3 weeks ago...no regrets.

I'll briefly share why:
1) The Altima will be awesome...however, the 2002 will be a first-year engine and you know how that goes.
2) The 2K2 Max: same reasoning
3) The 2K3 Max: too big
4) Therefore 2K1 Max with proven power and reliability was the best option.
The only thing I had to consider was when to purchase and I chose to buy before my current vehicle went out of commission. Otherwise, it'll be even cheaper.

Hands down, Max is the best and I'm looking forward to seeing all the improvements that Nissan is planning to make in stride.

Still the 4DSC.

Originally posted by mregenst
Your comments are all well thought out...

We bought our Max's for what they are...great vehicle for the money...

Life goes on...progress, etc... which does not detract from the fact that the 5th gen is one helluva great car...

The computer analogy is the best one...buy it today, & it's already dated...cpu, harddrive, soundcard advances, etc...

Never look back & bite your fingers...as long as you've done your homework ahead of time...
Old 04-21-2001 | 02:06 PM

i believe the altima motors willl be built in japan, so lets boycott the shipment and take the motors, that'll make us happier with the 3.5L motor.. we can possibly take teh frontier sc and see what we can do with that too..
Old 04-22-2001 | 08:53 AM

Re: Re: quit whining

Originally posted by MaxinMD

I personally just purchased my first Maxima ever and I am greatly saddened about the recent announcement about the Altima (3 days after I purchased the Max). I purchased the Max for it's speed, styling, etc and the new Altima appears better. I agree with the flagship discussions going on here and I won't be happy with Max takes a back seat to a historically known cheaper Metro version of the Max. We ALL paid a heck of a lot of money for our cars for a specific reason and to have a less pronounced car in the same family step over us isn't cool! I'm really interested to see what the new Altima will be priced at (for the SE) and the advertising they do for it and the Max.
Old 04-22-2001 | 09:19 AM

Originally posted by jwletourneau
Did you guys know that next year Subaru is planning on selling in the US a WRX Sti with 280 hp and better everything than the hot new 227 hp WRX? What do you think that this is going to do to the resale value of 2002 WRX's? You guessed it, it is going to drop the value of these cars through the roof and that is after only one year of offering limited the production WRX.
Anyway, I had a great 80 mile ride home from work tonight. And I am looking forward to having many more before I'm done with my 2000 Maxima. I'm almost looking forward to being a member of the Maxima forum that doesn't reside at the top of the list.
hey, is the WRX with 280hp a sure thing yet or is it still rumored? that might be a good investment to start saving up for.
Old 05-01-2001 | 12:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I drove my roommate's car home this weekend cuz she needed the tires rotated and brakes checked (turns out the fronts still head lots of tread left).

Anyways, my bro's 93 Max SE 5sp is on stands cuz he's overhauling the tranny. I parked the 93 Altima GXE 5sp right next by it and started noticing how *similar* they are.

At introduction, the Altima was a step ahead of my bro's Max, especially the styling. Also, I let my bro thumb through the Alt's factory service manual and he said many of the diagrams in his Chilton are identical! Anyways, he thinks that if they dropped a V6 in my roommate's Alty, the 2 would nearly be twins.

As you can see (just as others have mentioned), it's not the first time that Altima has nearly eclipsed the Maxima.

Jay
Old 05-01-2001 | 01:30 PM

Originally posted by _DRU_

hey, is the WRX with 280hp a sure thing yet or is it still rumored? that might be a good investment to start saving up for.
I heard that the 280hp Sti is a sure thing. I believe that it is because Mitsubishi has decided to bring over the EvilEvo... hehehehe!
Old 05-01-2001 | 06:22 PM

Well I just read car my new Car and Driver mag and it says that in 2003 we will get the next generation skyline.
Old 05-01-2001 | 07:36 PM

I totally agree with your post.

Fact of the matter is...the 2002 Altima is a better overall car than the 19xx-2001 Maxima pound-for-pound, LIKE IT OR NOT! Anyone who denies this must be blinded by their eyes!

Note that I said the 2001 and before Maxima. I'm sure that the 2002 (and certainly the 2003+) will stack up a little better when comparing the two.
Old 05-01-2001 | 08:48 PM

I disagree with the people that thinks the Altima will be better than the Maxima.

I spoke to a dealer about this, and he explained it to me as that there will definitely be fundamental differences between the 2. Yeah, the Altima might have more hp for now, but styling, accessories, and the such will be lacking. And I can bet you right now that the Altima SE will be priced comparably with a Maxima SE, just for the fact that it has a better engine.

By looking at the pictures, I think the back end of the Altima is as ugly as it can be...I think they are using interior decorators to design the tail lights...

If I were to buy an Altima, it would only because it has more power, but then I don't see that as more important as having a more refined styling and the "prestige" of a Maxima.

Just my 2 cents.

Green

P.S. Yes, it's true that I have a friend that has a Civic with more power than my Max, but do u see me buying one of those that way?
Old 05-01-2001 | 09:53 PM

I also was at the New York Auto Show and looked closely at the new Altima. I bought my Maxima because it was a better car for the money than the Accord, Camry, Passat or any other car in this class offering a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder. Fit, finish, materials, design, styling and features in the Maxima are superior to all of those cars. Also, it outperforms all of those cars quite handily. The new Altima (unlike the previous ones) is more similar to the cars I named previously than the Maxima. It is obviously designed to be price competitive with them in a way the Maxima never was.

I have always applauded Nissan for seling 3 models of car against 2 models from the other Japanese manufacturers. By pitting the Altima against the highend Civics and Corollas and the lowend Accords and Camrys they are/were able to command a piece of the market that the others ignored. The Maxima has always been perceived as the competitor to the Accord/Camrys but it has never been able to beat the price of the 4 cylinder versions of those cars. By producing 3 bodys to the competition's 2 Nissan has found themselves in a financial bind and has finally decided to "join them" by making cars that compete directly (features for price) with their competitors.

So, what do you do? Eliminate 2 nameplates or move both of them up in their markets? It is apparent that Nissan has chosen the latter. I applaude them for moving the Altima up first and allowing the Maxima to loose some lustre due to the glare of the Altima's spotlight. The new Max and the new Z will come out at roughly the same time. Thus, some (many) of us will become Z drivers and the Maxima will carry the flag for the Nissan ship into new waters where I35s, GS300s, Avalons, RLs, E-classes and 5-series lurk and undercut them in price. How many of us really do not like those cars? I bet the same names we chat with today will be the ones we see in the Maxima showrooms of the future.
Old 05-02-2001 | 05:50 AM

I love big fast black sport sedans with big wheels and dark windows. That's why the Maxima is perfect for me. Has anyone ever walked out to their car and said to themselves "D*mn that is a beautiful car." I'm not a small sports car person. I don't care if the give the Sentra 300 horsepower. Why dont you complain about the skyline, or the 300zx TT. They have more HP than the Max. The Maxima will always be the Maxima. It's an awesome car with awesome looks. And I love it.
Old 05-02-2001 | 11:55 AM

Altimax

Not to rain on anyone's party, but let's not forget that the new Altima is a 2002... given that, the 02 Max will have the 3.5 also, so it's not a power thing. The 02 Altima will not be faster than the 02 Max.

What does concern me is the 02 Altima IRS. It will be nearly the same size, and slightly slower than the 02 Max, but it will have a more sophisticated suspension.

The question is not one of whether the 00 or 01 max is better than the 02 Altima, but instead, will the 02 Altima eclipse the 02 Max and become the Flagship of Nissan for the year. This was same question when the 1st gen Altima came out; slightly less hp, irs, nearly same size. But did it eclipse the Max? NO WAY. Will it in 02? I don't know. I fear that in the class that both of these cars have grown into, independent rear suspension is a much more important feature than it was when they were last this close. Can Nissan justify the rougher ride of the no-IRS Max until 03? Any word on whether the I35 will have it? Hasn't it become a feature Entry-Luxury requires?