Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   HP Autoworks Short Shifter (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/266800-hp-autoworks-short-shifter.html)

PhxBlue 12-01-2004 08:53 PM

:ben: :ben: :ben: :ben: :ben:

I'm freakin stoked!! I wont beable to sleep tonight, been wantin this to happen for so long now...

hpautoworks 12-01-2004 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by harmbone2k2
good luck phxblue and HP

Thank you.

hpautoworks 12-01-2004 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Eleebob7
Just out of curiousity, is this just the shifter or the whole thing (shifter + housing)? I always thought that replacing only the shifter causes undesired stress on ur tranny.

Our unit will be attached to the shifter cable, not replacing the shifter nor housing. You are right in the essence that tweaking a cable too much can cause stress on the cable, not so much the tranny is concerned (honda).

hpautoworks 12-02-2004 05:21 PM

Test fitting is done and it looks like we have a huge success on our hands and for the Maxima community. The shifter was installed in less than 15 minutes with basic handtools. Although, I havent driven a manual Maxima very much, the shifting seemed solid while it was still parked. I had PhxBlue (George), feel the gears and at first glance didnt seem to worthy, as it felt firmer but not really shorter. I had him take the car for a spin to get a better feel and when he came back......I think the smile on the face was from the shifter.......unless he saw a hot girl or punked some honda on the way back (JK). Anyhow, my immediate question was how did it feel. His response was that it felt very solid and very smooth and shorter then before. He said it looked like a winner and here we are now.

After speaking with my engineer, he informed me that the shifter is currently set at about 34% reduction in throw. Going any past that could/would sacrifice longivity of the shifter and cable components being prematurely worn due to stress and cable binding. This peice is virtually troublesome free and there really wasnt too much we were looking for to go bad BUT its always better to be safe right?

We have already began mass production of these STS and will be ready in the next week and ready to ship. As a special for the Maxima.org community, we will be having a HP Promo Sale of 149.00 Shipped!!, with a normal site price of 179.00, and MSRP of 219.00. The first production run will only be 30 units, so it will be first come first serve. Just order off the site and note "Maxima.org" in the comments section, and the correct price will be adjusted. Email me if you guys have any questions. Thanks and enjoy the first 00-03 Maxima STS!!

crispykid717 12-02-2004 05:39 PM

:ben: :ben: :ben: :ben: HP and Phxblue you guys f'ing rock!!!!

Eleebob7 12-02-2004 06:51 PM

Any ideas when it might be on your site?

PoLo 12-02-2004 06:52 PM

damn, feels good to be the FIRST BUYER....:)

hpautoworks 12-02-2004 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eleebob7
Any ideas when it might be on your site?

Updating the site now, should be up in 30 minutes.

harmbone2k2 12-02-2004 07:05 PM

Now I have to tell the wife that my stock shifter is going bad so I can get this. Great Job HP and thanks phxblue!!!

hpautoworks 12-02-2004 07:10 PM

Thank you everyone for purchasing so far. I appreciate the support and hope to help you guys out further. While the site is being updated, you can paypal us at hpautoworks@cox.net if ya like. Thanks to all!

hpautoworks 12-02-2004 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by harmbone2k2
Now I have to tell the wife that my stock shifter is going bad so I can get this. Great Job HP and thanks phxblue!!!

LOL, you can blame it on the weather change, causing the shifter parts to go bad. HAHA

6spd_Hayes 12-02-2004 07:15 PM

Credit card in hand, scanning your site for the update. Please post the link as soon as your done. With only 30, I want to be in on it!!

Wife constantly complains about the shifter, this will give me an excuse to upgrade!!

Thanks HP Autoworks!!!!

hpautoworks 12-02-2004 07:19 PM

Shifter is now on the homepage of the site. Pics are kinda blurry but you get the general idea. Remember that if you order off the site, to note in the comments section "Maxima.org" and the price will be adjusted after checkout.

Derrick2k2SE 12-02-2004 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by hpautoworks
Thank you everyone for purchasing so far. I appreciate the support and hope to help you guys out further. While the site is being updated, you can paypal us at hpautoworks@cox.net if ya like. Thanks to all!

Does the price of $149.00 include shipping in the U.S.?

harmbone2k2 12-02-2004 07:23 PM

how many are left?

hpautoworks 12-02-2004 07:24 PM

Yes the 149.00 is including shipping in the continental US. We have already sold 7 in the last 5 minutes, 3 were paypal.

6spd_Hayes 12-02-2004 07:26 PM

Mine is ordered!!! Going like hot cakes!!!

makavelisk 12-02-2004 07:29 PM

So Andy, we keep all the same parts except for the piece that the cable goes through and the the actual shifter sits in, right???

hpautoworks 12-02-2004 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by makavelisk
So Andy, we keep all the same parts except for the piece that the cable goes through and the the actual shifter sits in, right???

Everything is still intact, just install inline where the cable attaches to the tranny (below the intake). Install is a breeze, i mean breeze.

Fezzik 12-02-2004 07:39 PM

Sweet Jebus. Ordered. Finally. I almost want to hug you guys. (tears rolling down cheek)

jeepik 12-02-2004 08:41 PM

can you tell me exactly how much shorter throw it will be?? in inches??

the 34% doesnt tell me much, if you could tell me it is shorter by like 2 inches each way, then i know what i am dealing with

thanks

hpautoworks 12-02-2004 08:47 PM

You know, i would have to ask PhxBlue on that one because he drove his car stock and with the shifter, so he would have a better gauge. I would say a few inches each way is standard.

Igor911 12-02-2004 08:55 PM

is that reallly the picture on the website....

That does not look like a shifter. How many more are avail

hpautoworks 12-02-2004 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Igor911
is that reallly the picture on the website....

That does not look like a shifter. How many more are avail

Yes thats the actual STS. With the complexity of the shifter housing under the consol and the reverse lock mechanism, a "under the console" shifter would just be too expensive BUT most of all, could compromise the integrity of the cables.

We have around 30 or so thats still good.

BeSeenWithGreen 12-02-2004 09:07 PM

Thanks for making this happen HP :)

hpautoworks 12-02-2004 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by BeSeenWithGreen
Thanks for making this happen HP :)

Your welcome.....im just kicking myself in the head as to why I just now thought of it. :rotz:

Triple8Sol 12-02-2004 10:15 PM

I'm excited, but I'm also a bit confused. All the short shifters I've seen for other cars not only shorten the throw, but also include a shorter stick (or stalk, or whatever it's called) such as the B&M one for '95-'01 Maximas shown here:

http://www.bmracing.com/media/produc...s/181_full.jpg

or the Stillen one shown here:

http://www.2kracing.com/images/maximashifter.jpg

Yet yours seems to be just a simple piece of machined aluminum that may shorten the throw, but not the height of the shifter itself. So being a noob to the technical details, I'm hoping you or someone else can clarify this for me.

PoLo 12-02-2004 10:20 PM

what you're showing above is the simple technology of adding a bearing in between a straight pipe with twice the travel with movement. so when you move your stick, the lower section moves twice, 3x's, etc... as far. that's what creates the "shorter throw". the shorter stick does NOTHING at all, but is done prolly for looks or whatnot. the main force of those STS's is the bearing in the middle.

hpautoworks 12-02-2004 10:46 PM

Polo, you are absolutely correct. As a side note also, those shifter pics you see are also those that are not equipped with cable trannies, such as the 00-03 maximas along with the new altimas and sentra spec v's. Being that there is a cable setup, there is no way to incorporatte a shifter like that, plus a reverse mechanism would be almost impossible to incorporate w/o being very very costly.

Eleebob7 12-03-2004 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by hpautoworks
Polo, you are absolutely correct. As a side note also, those shifter pics you see are also those that are not equipped with cable trannies, such as the 00-03 maximas along with the new altimas and sentra spec v's. Being that there is a cable setup, there is no way to incorporatte a shifter like that, plus a reverse mechanism would be almost impossible to incorporate w/o being very very costly.

Thank you! That answered my question.

However, do you think this GB will go on for a while? I have to wait for a couple more paychecks before I can afford it.

PhxBlue 12-03-2004 01:02 AM

Well people, HP did an awesome job on this thing. Throw is definately shorter and very smooth. I was very happy as I was banging through the gears going up and down the road behind HP's shop. Most noticeable to me was first to second gear. On my car stock, that throw seems to be humongous and takes forever. Now its short, quick, and pleasing. You guys are awesome over there at HP. BTW Andy, that is one sick "G" you got!!
:thumbsup:

Triple8Sol 12-03-2004 03:50 AM

So that "joint" is basically moving the fulcrum further up the stalk/stick. Ok, so now I understand how those previous non-cable short shifters worked. Thanks for clearing that up guys.

So my next question is (sorry, but I'm sure there are plenty of others who are curious/confused like me) do you have pics of your new product installed but without the shift boot and console in place?

Bluesbrekr 12-03-2004 05:09 AM

I'm a bit confused. Will we will still use the stock shifter lever?

The kit just includes the fulcrum thing and not the 'stick' correct?

MaximaMan77 12-03-2004 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr
I'm a bit confused. Will we will still use the stock shifter lever?

The kit just includes the fulcrum thing and not the 'stick' correct?

Please read post 30. This is all done under the hood.

company man 12-03-2004 06:49 AM

Cable Shifters

In a Cable Shift System, there are usually two levers. One is the actual shift lever located within the center console. This is attached to the second lever, located on the transmission with cables. HP's Short Shift Kit focuses on the transmission side, thereby leaving the reverse lockout mechanism in the center console able to still function.

MaximaMan77 12-03-2004 08:09 AM

I would like to see some reviews from more people. For the price you're not getting much as far as the amount of metal used to make the part. For instance look on hpautoworks site, the Comptech Short Shifter for the Acura RSX looks to contain more metal and needs more CNC work to get the finished product and costs less than half the price. Also the Nissan Short Shifter: 02+ Nissan Spec V / Altima contains 3 pieces and has a hell of a lot more metal and costs 20 bucks less.

The reason for not including a new shifter arm is obvious, the reverse lock out.
I believe I can shorten the stock arm and still keep the LO functional but I would need an arm to do it and you'd need a new knob but it can be done. It's just that'd it'd be a PITA for a company to produce a complete new one, design and production wise. My problem is I can't afford the down time right now and doing the first one always takes longer to complete. I would figure it would take me a few days to get the 1st one done. The combination of HPAW's product and a shortened arm would be sweet. If someone can find 2 or 3 shift control assemblies from totaled Max's I could do it. I’d need more than one to make sure the height is right and 1 for core swaps.
If there is interest I'll start a new thread about it and cover more of the details, as I don't want to whore this one up, even though it's not in the FS or GD forums it's still not right.

PhxBlue 12-03-2004 09:07 AM

All the work is done under the hood. Stock shift handle and console stay in place. Its simple yet effective what they have done.

tarpoon 12-03-2004 09:31 AM

Order placed......thanks HP

makavelisk 12-03-2004 11:16 AM

All I know is that I cant wait till I get mine. :mardi: Ill be ripping through the gears...

hpautoworks 12-03-2004 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaMan77
I would like to see some reviews from more people. For the price you're not getting much as far as the amount of metal used to make the part. For instance look on hpautoworks site, the Comptech Short Shifter for the Acura RSX looks to contain more metal and needs more CNC work to get the finished product and costs less than half the price. Also the Nissan Short Shifter: 02+ Nissan Spec V / Altima contains 3 pieces and has a hell of a lot more metal and costs 20 bucks less. .

Its not that we are cheaping people out of materials or parts or anything like that. what it really came down to, was what is going to work and whats not. im sure we could have designed something that had 3-6 peices BUT does that mean its gonna work better? maybe/maybe not. The peice that we have designed is simple and bottom line......gets the job done.

I would have loved to keep the cost down like Comptech has it BUT A. we are not nearly as large of a company B. We dont have a order for 2k of them like the RSX has and C. They have actually had problems with theirs, so its actually been redisgned again. Its all about market demand and pre-orders. The Spec V shifters, we had pre-ordered over 500 of them to get the pricing that we got it for.

I dont want people to think that we are ripping anyone off.