5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What would you do for sound ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Qmax03

What would you do for sound ???

i had a big system which hit hard but i need some more room in my trunk , i wanted something that hit nice and clean, not looking for alot off bass i dont want to show off or nothing jsut something nice and clean jsut so i got a little bass in the trunk, plus i need more room in my trunk with the 10's i had decent room but i need more, yea they hit hard and clean but i need my room, i think my 2 options are the infinity basslink OR a 10' bazokka tube,with the infinty bass link or bazooka tube ill have more room so which would be better and sounds better?

anyone want 2 10' mtx subs dual voice coils in a box MINT MINT MINT... for ......... best offer jsut wanna get rid of them . i bought them JUST subs alone for like $180ish... ill part with subs alone, ill give you the box but i had the amp screwed into the box and when i took out the screws to take off the amp those holes caused an air leak which makes the subs sound not so good in the box so the subs dont sound right they need a new box or you can caulk this one up, BASICALLy what im trying to say is SUBS are punmping HARD and clean jsut needs a new box or you can fix this one. !

Old 12-04-2004, 06:12 PM
VW = 30 MPG

it'll cost to much to ship
Old 12-04-2004, 06:18 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

you can always mount them to the back of the seat if you like that for maximum space.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:04 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Both of those subwoofers are, well...garbage. If you are honestley looking for a combination of sound & size, then you are better off with either:

(BEST) Focal Utopia 5WS (5")
(BETTER) JLW60 (6.5")
(GOOD) Kicker (6.5")

You have to run the Focals @ 4-ohm, but MAN, what a sub it is
Old 12-06-2004, 05:16 AM
Qmax03

focal ?? Never heard of it , how much does it go 4 ? andd only 5" ?

Old 12-06-2004, 07:10 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Focal is a VERY high-end brand of audio equipment with the UTOPIA line being, well...untouchable in terms of quality. They cost about $150 a hit and the JL's are around $85. I recommend caraudio.com forums for doing research on this stuff...pretty much anything @ Best Buy or Circut City is crap...as I have found out! As with Maxima stuff, there is just as much to be learned about audio equipment. Good luck!!!!

PS - You should hear the Focal's hit...****in' WOW!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by BustaReims
Focal is a VERY high-end brand of audio equipment with the UTOPIA line being, well...untouchable in terms of quality. They cost about $150 a hit and the JL's are around $85. I recommend caraudio.com forums for doing research on this stuff...pretty much anything @ Best Buy or Circut City is crap...as I have found out! As with Maxima stuff, there is just as much to be learned about audio equipment. Good luck!!!!

PS - You should hear the Focal's hit...****in' WOW!!!!!!!!!!
$150 may be a lot for a 5" driver but quality bass is about moving air, and relatively speaking, you won't - or - can't - move much with a 5" sub. (the legendary Bose 901s needed 9 - 6" drivers + electronics to get a reasonable bass response).

Your Utopia doesn't have much output below 45Hz (Fs ~44Hz) but the toughest spec is the poor efficiency (compared to a normal sized sub) of 87 dB for a Watt. That said, you'll overdrive it's 160W max power limit before you hit 110dB - not particularly F#$$#ng WOW loud unless your fav. "band" is Bette Midler.

You might be able to stuff a handful of these things into the right box and get a modest level of bass, but don't fool around - get the Infinity Bass Link - powered, compact (~1 cubic ft) and will fit nicely into the corner of your trunk (sombody did a "how to" on this and posted on this site).

And Qmax - a 10' bazooka tube will never fit in your car. no wonder you're out of space if you had two 10' MTX subs. This I gotta see!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:55 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I got one 10" Kicker Comp CVR DVC ran by mega big Alpine MVR 1507 amp, and it sounds really nice, trunk space is still pretty good and the sub is EZ to take out when I got autoX or road racing. I listen to alot of trance n stuff so I like to hear my bass when needed, I had 3 JL W6s in the past but I had no trunk space eighter, so I went down to a Bazooka RS amplified tube 10", it sounded nice.. but the sealed CVR kicker sounds really good, especially when you have a good amp to go with it. Tell us what music you are into and we might be able to recomend something to ya then.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:57 PM
VW = 30 MPG

JL10W6
.88 cubic feet box and Rocks!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 10:00 PM
mjg

i had 2 jl w3's in a custom box fit to smallest size and with a lip dremeled to fit the back seat/trunk whole perfect. It's in goldmaxs car now, he should show some pics.

I ordered a 12" eclipse titanium to replace it, i may end up just not using it and sell it. If i keep it, it's getting powered with an alpine m1000.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:20 PM

M1000 is nice, but it don't hit anywhere as hard as a MRV1507, its a older Alpine amp. I keep on switching amps and always go back to my older 1507, can't beats its 900W RMS into 4ohms bridged for a low price ! Only drawback is its size- its about 40-44" long by 12" wide. Its a beast.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:24 PM

thougt there was an A/V and clasified section for this kind of stuff...not be be hating or anything........oh but for my two cents i sugest the new bazooka tube infinity rattels too much for my taste my boy has one in his car and it sounded like crap if you only want mellow tones in the back round then infinity but for thumpin go bazooka
Old 12-06-2004, 10:45 PM

I agree, BassLink I heard in a few RSXs didn't sound good compared to Bazooka inside a RSX. I work at Acura and heard a few customer setups, Infinity sucks- my 2nd set of front Kappa Componets is on its way out again, sometimes in colder weather I can hear one of my 6.5 mids is starting to sound like its blow, and its been doing it more n more. Time for Bostons.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:46 PM

I think you should try and work backwards. Find out how much space you're willing to sacrifice and plan it from there. Heck, if you don't mind ditchin' your spare, you could do a sub-floor in the spare tire well. If you raised the floor just a few inches, I bet you could squeeze (2) JL 12W7 in there. And you would still have pretty much all of your space left. Anything is possible, you just need to speak to your local "reputable" stereo shop and leave it up to them. Keep in mind that just because you have (2) 12" subs, doesn't necessarily mean it'll be louder or sound better. Proper enclosure size, as well as power rating makes a HUGE difference. BlackBird has the right idea pushing 900w into his Kicker 10". Typically, you'll cause more damage to your speakers by under powering them. I guarantee you that (2) 10's in a properly designed box with hella power will outperform (2) 12's in a junk box with minimal power.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:53 PM

My gain is set pretty low on the amp no to destroy my sub, but it sounds really tight and I know if I ever wanna get some better subs I can go down into 2ohm loads and push even more power with the huge Alpine amp. Stay away from cheap subs, my friend told me his MTX Blue Thunders where rated at 600W RMS each, well we put them in my car, I cranked the gain up and found both his subs blown... and 2 12" MTX didnt sound anywhere as good as one 10" Kicker in a nice box my audiophile friend built me. Its all in the box design. I thought bout doing the "in the wheel well box" but something tells me I will get a flat tire and will be stranded without a spare ! I ran a Infinity Beta 100 amp with my Kicker and it didn't sound good at all with only 300W RMS power coming from this Class D amp compared to my set at low gain big daddy Alpine. Diff manucaturers claim diff power ratings I guess. Peace.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a..........

I have a Infinity Basslink in my Maxima. I have 4 Alpine 6.5s in the doors & a 400 Watt Alpine amp as well as a Alpine head unit. My setup is nice & clean the bass response is clean & tight not boomy sounding. If you want clean music head & shoulders better than either the crap Bose system or stock system & have grown out of the idea that people from 2 blocks away need to hear your system. The Basslink is the way to go. I personally have heard a powered Bazooka tube in a Maxima it was nice but a little to boomy it wasent real tight like the Basslink.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
My gain is set pretty low on the amp no to destroy my sub, but it sounds really tight and I know if I ever wanna get some better subs I can go down into 2ohm loads and push even more power with the huge Alpine amp. Stay away from cheap subs, my friend told me his MTX Blue Thunders where rated at 600W RMS each, well we put them in my car, I cranked the gain up and found both his subs blown... and 2 12" MTX didnt sound anywhere as good as one 10" Kicker in a nice box my audiophile friend built me. Its all in the box design. I thought bout doing the "in the wheel well box" but something tells me I will get a flat tire and will be stranded without a spare ! I ran a Infinity Beta 100 amp with my Kicker and it didn't sound good at all with only 300W RMS power coming from this Class D amp compared to my set at low gain big daddy Alpine. Diff manucaturers claim diff power ratings I guess. Peace.
Yep, that's the only downside to doing a subfloor.....being stranded out in the middle of nowhere without a spare tire! But, the end result is awesome! I would check into JL Audio's W6 of W7 line. I can't say a lot about Infinity, but the stereo shop I used to work at sold JL Audio, Kicker, Boston, A/D/S, Alpine, Kenwood, Clarion, and MTX subs. When installed properly in a well tuned enclosure, with the recommended amount of power, the first (3) brands were the best performers. We sold, and were most impressed with JL Audio's. Keep in mind, that just because the W7 line is JL's "Top of the line," doesn't mean that they're the best for you. You can make a 10W-0 outperform a 10W7 if given the right conditions. Also, remember that the W6 and W7 lines go in really tiny enclosures ( .625 cu ft for the 10W6 ). But, generally, woofers in smaller boxes require more power to push than woofers designed to work in bigger boxes. To make W6's perform well, you'd probably need at least 300W per speaker....RMS, not MAX! A 1.25 cu ft box ( Internal volume ) is VERY tiny. You could probably design it to fit up against the back seat (firin backwards) an dit wouldn't even extend past where a rear stru bar would mount. Food for thought!
Old 12-08-2004, 05:46 AM
Bandwagon Lover

I would post this in the audio forum to get some additional comments?