5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Done major engine work on 2k?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 09:44 AM

Done major engine work on 2k?

I want to speak to anyone who has done engine work ont he 2k. I have had some problems. Some major some not so much. I want to do the work I can do myself. I am interested in if any of you have had the problems I've had. Also are there any maxima clubs in Atl, GA?
Old 12-07-2004, 09:46 AM
dot dot dot ...

Don't be so vague. . .explain in a little more deetail.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:49 AM

I think I spoke to you before about the coils. The 2 most recent problems are...sometimes the car will start and go to 1k rpm like it should but then dip down and stall. The other problem is sometimes it won't start at all. The other day it took 4 tries for it to start. I've already had at LEAST 10k dollars worth of warranty work done on this car, I'm ready to scream!
Old 12-07-2004, 10:02 AM
dot dot dot ...

10k, you could have bought a brand new from Nissan wrapped in a box on a crate VQ30DE-K.

You have more electronic control issues thatn actual engine issues. MAF and coils seems to be a hot item going out on these, but I'm not too knowledgeable with the generation so I can only offer some help.
Starting could be a # of things, battery, starter, ground points, postive batt. ceonnections, corrosion, TB needs cleaning, just normal tune-up items.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:04 AM

I almost feel as if it's a fuel problem. I have noticed lately I'm not getting as many miles to a full tank. So where should I start to check myself before I hae to take it to the dealer to run codes?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:05 AM
dot dot dot ...

Take it to Autozone, they run them for free.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:12 AM

Here's the thing. A customer of mine has a shop and ran the codes with his computer and it pulled up nothing. I took it to Nissan and it pulled up all of the codes. That problem at the time was a pinging in the engine that nothig would fix. It took Nissan replacing the whole air induction systems and random parts to fix it. I am weery that non-nissan computers work right. What do you think?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Its the maf call dave b he has it for 80 someting bucks
Old 12-07-2004, 11:45 AM

ok, I have taken it to Advance and it pulled no codes. See what I mean. If it's not a Nissan computer it won't pull it up. Now I'm really mad!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 01:25 PM
dot dot dot ...

It will only pull codes when there's a SES light on. You seemed to have got from Nissan.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:30 PM

ok I'm officially confused. I went to my friends shop and pulled no codes when I was positive there was something wrong. Took it to Nissan and it immediately pulled codes. I took it today to Advance ran it myself and again it pulled no codes. Everyone keeps asking me if the light is on and no it's not on but I know my car and it's not acting right. What am I supposed to do?
Old 12-07-2004, 01:32 PM

Oh and my light has never come on but I've had major work done to the car so what does that tell me??? There have been several problems. Everytime my coil packs blew the light never came on. Shouldn't that make it come on?
Old 12-07-2004, 06:07 PM

Maybe Faulty Light? Try Checking The Connections To That And Clean It, Just The Normal Tune-up Things...
Old 12-07-2004, 06:29 PM

[QUOTE=hakimis]I...sometimes the car will start and go to 1k rpm like it should but then dip down and stall. The other problem is sometimes it won't start at all. The other day it took 4 tries for it to start. [QUOTE]When does it stall? cold start-up all the time? Have you clean the throttle body recently cause I noticed that last two times i clean mine, during cold start up my car would stall, similar to yours. I clean the idle air control valve and and didn't have the problem again. Well that is until 2 weeks ago. After I would get off work, i started the car and idled for a few seconds and then it stalled. Next day same thing, same scenario. A few days later the car started acting up. It would shift hard and the power in the lower rpms...well there was no power. The car would bog and it got worse. then came the check engine light. Was O2 sensor related. I replaced it but that didn't fix it. Checked spark, check fuel trim and the MAF and everything seemed fine. I e-mailed BlackbirdVQ and he advised me to change the MAF sensor and man I am really glad I did. Car feels better than ever. Torque is there and the car feels alot smoother. Just something to think about. Also i have pulled codes from a car before with the scanner when there was no SES light on. There is a posibility that you might have some pending codes stored. Or maybe Nissan is lying. What codes did they pull from your ECM?
Old 12-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally Posted by hakimis
I almost feel as if it's a fuel problem. I have noticed lately I'm not getting as many miles to a full tank. So where should I start to check myself before I hae to take it to the dealer to run codes?
i dont get it. if you are having that many probs, then take it to the dealer and pay the diagnostic fees. at least you won't be wondering then.

if you have really spent 10k, then the joke is on you. i would have traded the biatch in for a 2k2 6speed
Old 12-07-2004, 10:12 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Have the dealer repleace the MAF and update the ECM with the newest MAF software, at the same time have them do the idle learn procedure. I have seen the weirdest 3.0L DE-K problems and alot of them are MAF related. Find a diff dealer to take the car to, most Nissan techs are idiots who can't diagnose anything ( I used to work for one and know), they are not gear heads nor they are passionate about working on Nissan line of cars. I work at Acura, and it don't matter to me that I'm a Nissan lover, I still fix Acuras the same way I would fix my car. Its all bout customer satisfaction, and no comebacks !
Old 12-07-2004, 10:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by -ZIPPIN-
i would have traded the biatch in for a 2k2 5speed
The 2k2 is a 6speed
Old 12-08-2004, 04:07 AM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally Posted by orlando00i30
The 2k2 is a 6speed
fixedddddddddd
Old 12-08-2004, 08:50 AM

Wonderful I appreciate all of your help oh and the 10k in work was all done under warranty. I left the car there for 3 weeks and refused to take it home until it was fixed. Finally they fixed the problem at the time. Is the MAF something I can do myself or do I have to have Nissan do it? Oh and the guy at Nissan who does the work on my car has the same car and I trust him to do the work. I only let him work onthe car when it's there. He's actaully done some minor work on the car too after hours. Trust me if I could trade this car I would have a long time ago. I am upside down about 7k. I drive a lot. I have put 95k miles in 3 years. Even with that being said I still don't think the car should be acting up this much. I take very good care of this car. I don't think there is a problem with the light (SES) it come on when the car is being started just like all of the other light but has never come on when I have found a problem. I am going to take it today to see what they say. I have printed up ont he petition site all the pages with signatures on it with people with the same problem and if it is the coils I am NOT paying for them. Hopefully it's not and hopefully it is the MAF. Again, thanks everyone and I'll let you know.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:01 PM
UCF Lexus

Changing out a MAF is not hard at all. You will need basic hand tools. It could be your knock sensor...sometimes they'll go bad and not throw a code.