5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Chipping Paint ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 04:10 PM

Chipping Paint ?'s

My front bumper has small chips probably every millimeter apart on some parts and the rest of my bumper has plenty of larger chips everywhere else, I was wondering if I should get the paint/clear coat pen and work on it for now or get it repainted and get a clear bra. What is a ballpark estimate of repainting the front bumper and I heard its more difficult to paint lighter color cars b/c its hard to get the paint to match....
Old 12-08-2004, 08:10 PM
BlkShadow01

sand n then prime n spray paint it wit liek 4 coats same color paint as yo car

Old 12-08-2004, 09:11 PM

It would look really obvious that my whole bumper is repainted if i took that approach...i think i am just going to get it repainted or professionally touched up and put a clear bra on. Anyone know any prices for something like that?
Old 12-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Bigger than Jesus

I have the exact same problem as you. A body shop quoted me ~$900 to repaint and "paint-match" the hood, bumper, and fenders. That also included fixing a dent in my hood too.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by crispykid717
I have the exact same problem as you. A body shop quoted me ~$900 to repaint and "paint-match" the hood, bumper, and fenders. That also included fixing a dent in my hood too.
Even if you shoot a bumper cover, hood and fenders, the color will probably still be slightly off from the bumper to the rest of the sheet metal. This is because plastic bumper covers reflect the color differently from sheet metal parts. We shoot front ends all the time , and there's almost always a SLIGHT difference in color......even from the manufacturer. Most people don't realize it until they pick their car up from the bodyshop! I know, because I see it everyday at work. Then, when we walk them around to the back and point out the other bumper cover that was never painted, they see the difference. Of course, there are crappy jobs out there that the color was just not tinted/mixed properly, and that's the shops fault. But, Maxima2000SE, to answer on of your other ?'s, light colors are not necessarily harder to color match, but metallic colors are! If you go outside and look at your front/rear bumpers really well, you'll probably see a SLIGHT difference. It's not major, but I see it in probably 9 out of 10 cars on the road......Honda's, Toyota's, Ford, Chevy, Nissan, it doesn't matter. Best bet is to shop around and find a reputable shop. Ask your insurance agent who they'd recommend, or who they take their own cars to. As far as your original question about how much it typically cost to paint a front bumper. Without actually seeing how bad, or how many chips there are, it's difficult to say. Let's just say for 2 hrs of bodywork plus the refinishing, flex additive, color tinting, and color sanding, and the removal and re-installation, I would guess it would be about $400.00. Keep in mind, that's for pricing in Hawaii. The mainland, I would assume, would be a little cheaper. $900.00 for a bumper, hood, and 2 fenders.......that's pretty cheap!
Old 12-09-2004, 02:33 PM

Bran808, have you ever heard of protouch-touch up or something like that, i read that they air spray it over your bumper after they clean it with some solution and it fills in the chips, then they do something called the "Remover" which takes away extra paint...is this any good? Anyway chips are all over my bumper and they are probably no bigger than the tip on a pen. Thats why i was wondering if it wouldnt be that bad to buy the paint/clear coat pen and some of that langka stuff and work on it.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my bumper's also chipping pretty bad, but im not prepared to fork over 400+ for paint, then 300+ for a clear bra...so i think im just going to repair as many chips as i can with lankga, then put the clear bra on..
Old 12-10-2004, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima2000SE
Bran808, have you ever heard of protouch-touch up or something like that, i read that they air spray it over your bumper after they clean it with some solution and it fills in the chips, then they do something called the "Remover" which takes away extra paint...is this any good? Anyway chips are all over my bumper and they are probably no bigger than the tip on a pen. Thats why i was wondering if it wouldnt be that bad to buy the paint/clear coat pen and some of that langka stuff and work on it.
I personally have never heard of it. Rock chips SUCK! The worst thing about it, is that they're unavoidable. I've never seen a car with that 3M clear bra thing, so I don't know how well it works. I personally just live with mine. My family owns a body shop here in Hawaii, but I don't want to fix something that I'll have to fix again in 6 months. The good thing is that my car is white, and the chips aren't too noticeable.......I know they're there, I just try and look the other way!
Old 12-10-2004, 12:39 PM

I tried the paint pen and I wasn't impressed. The clear bra works but is pretty expensive to fit on the bumper. I have it on my hood and it works good and is very subtle. I met a guy with a nice G35C (black) and he wrapped the whole front end. Looked pretty good but it had to cost alot (I didn't ask lol). I would just use touch up paint and langka and patience. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:08 PM
XGaSpAcHo

how easy is langka to use/apply? because i have two chips on my hood and wanted to repair them since my eye is always drawn to them everytime i get in my car.

Old 12-10-2004, 03:37 PM

It's pretty easy to use. You just have to make sure to fill the chip with touch up paint (usually 2-3 coats to make a blob). then just scrape it off according to instructions using the scraper they provide wrapped with a cloth. Easy on horizontal surfaces, not so easy on vertical surfaces.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:20 PM
XGaSpAcHo

it's my hood so it shouldn't be that bad then. i think i may order me some this weekend.

Old 12-10-2004, 08:57 PM
BlkShadow01

jeez jus sand it then prime 2 coats n spray paint same color as your car 3 coats then clear gloss 1 coat n it will b gr8

Old 12-10-2004, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima2000SE
My front bumper has small chips probably every millimeter apart on some parts and the rest of my bumper has plenty of larger chips everywhere else, I was wondering if I should get the paint/clear coat pen and work on it for now or get it repainted and get a clear bra. What is a ballpark estimate of repainting the front bumper and I heard its more difficult to paint lighter color cars b/c its hard to get the paint to match....
Dealer charged $250 each for repainting hood and bumper. I didn't care, Nissan paid for it - and the paint matches perfectly.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:54 AM

Tomorrow and Saturday I will be repainting the front bumper myself. I tested out NAPA's ability to match paint by paint code. I repainted my front grill and not only found the color match to be very good (and the titanium silver is difficult to match), but the paint was also of very high quality, and it went down very, very nice.

I have already sanded it down to the point that all chips are gone. Tonight I will apply a filler primer, and wet sand. Up early tomorrow I will apply 2 base coats and 3 clear coats. I should be done by dark, not rushing drying times (and more wet sand if needed).

For about a $50 investment and my time, it is worth trying.

I will post a pic or two when it is completed
Old 09-03-2009, 10:14 AM

Nissan paint since the 5th gen has been bad..........7th gen guys are already complaining about the chips. I already have 2 on my 370......ughh.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:48 AM

Font End Paint (& Overall Face Lift) Pictures...
http://maximaprojects2009.shutterfly.com/31
http://maximaprojects2009.shutterfly.com/30
http://maximaprojects2009.shutterfly.com/29

Not bad for a backyard paint job…

Unfortunately, the camera photos do not capture the metal flake, which is really very nice in the sun, and paint was as close an OEM match as I have seen (where titanium silver can be the most difficult to match). I’ll give the paint a week before reattaching the license plate bracket.

• Tear down and rebuilt the fog lights - removed broken glass, replaced with clear Lexan sheet stock from work (tinted yellow, originally clear), removed bulb covers/reflectors (much brighter now)…
• Refinished and repainted the grill & grill emblem…
• Bought, painted and installed headlight eyelids…
• Refinished entire front fascia (sanded, filler primered, sanded, 3 base coats). No clear coat as it is already mixed in with the paint.
I Did not remove the fascia from the car to paint, so lots and lots of careful masking. No orange peel, runs, drips, or errors.
• Refinished the 6 year old bug and stone deflector (1 coat of adhesion promoter & 3 coats of clear). It looks brand new again.
• Paint is from NAPA - Color Matched per Paint Code - $20/can - 3 Cans Used

Last edited by Skier; 09-15-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:31 AM

wow this is one really old thread lol
Old 09-15-2009, 02:21 PM

Jesus. Wasted more time reading a 5 year old thread.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:35 PM

hahahaha I love when people pull up these threads as if the convo was going on last week or something lol priceless...

btw- the nissan touchup pen with clear coat works decent for $15 you cant go wrong
Old 09-16-2009, 10:02 AM

VQPOWER, Sorry you wasted such precious time…

nzelinsky, I see you just joined in June, so obviously you have not fallen victim to being flamed for starting threads that already exist. It does not matter how old a thread is if you want to continue “the subject matter" without creating yet another duplicate thread. The way one finds out if a subject has already been touched on is by doing a search, again, as to avoid duplicating discussions or just being lazy and blurting out a new thread that is really an old thread.

I also noted that you contributed to the discussion, so how ridiculous do you really think it is?
Old 09-16-2009, 10:23 AM

Skier I see you have been around a long time and obviously this makes you the master. Im glad you are part of the elite that can tell everybody what to do because you are so cool and I know this makes you feel good about yourself. Dont you think it would be more of a waste for me to post in the thread if I wasn't contributing to the topic at hand? You on the other hand have not contributed anything and are just bashing us to show how you are the best. You sir are much cooler than the rest of us by your display of superior forum etiquette knowledge.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 AM

When I first joined, I too received several forum etiquette suggestions, got flamed, etc. I guess the major difference between you and I, is that I was mature enough to learn, and appreciate the direction I got from other long time members “and even more from moderators who work hard to maintain such a forum”, and say thanks instead of being… well… like you are being. It’s not about being cool, a master, or part of your so called elite (which only exists in your mind by the way), it’s about being an adult that is willing to learn, and say thanks, as I have done many times myself. You have a nice day now… if you can…
Old 09-17-2009, 11:27 AM

Who the hell cares if it's old; it's still information nonetheless. People on this forum get pissed whether you make a new thread or bump an old one so who cares?

Skier, the paint looks good, but be sure to polish and wax it in about two weeks and post pictures after that; it may make it shine a little more like the stock finish. I'm shocked at the paint match, though...it matches better than the body shop did mine.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:37 AM

You need to wet sand the bumper and use a special primer ( for bumper ) and then 3-4 layer of base coat and 3-4 layer of clear coats. Most good body shop charge around 200-250$ per bumper, they remove the bumper, sand it, prime it and then paint + clear coat once dry they put it back. The hard part might be the paint match which will depend on how well your car was maintain.

Good luck.

AA
Old 09-17-2009, 12:33 PM

Thanks Guy's, and the buffing and waxing will definateley get done once it cures, and I agree, it will look even better.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Skier
When I first joined, I too received several forum etiquette suggestions, got flamed, etc. I guess the major difference between you and I, is that I was mature enough to learn, and appreciate the direction I got from other long time members “and even more from moderators who work hard to maintain such a forum”, and say thanks instead of being… well… like you are being. It’s not about being cool, a master, or part of your so called elite (which only exists in your mind by the way), it’s about being an adult that is willing to learn, and say thanks, as I have done many times myself. You have a nice day now… if you can…
Old 09-17-2009, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by doublea
You need to wet sand the bumper and use a special primer ( for bumper ) and then 3-4 layer of base coat and 3-4 layer of clear coats. Most good body shop charge around 200-250$ per bumper, they remove the bumper, sand it, prime it and then paint + clear coat once dry they put it back. The hard part might be the paint match which will depend on how well your car was maintain.

Good luck.

AA

If you plan on getting a clear bra after a fresh bumper paint should you still wax or no?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nexus67
If you plan on getting a clear bra after a fresh bumper paint should you still wax or no?
I dont think you want to try and put clear bra on top of wax... have it perfectly clean for bra install then wax over afterwards
Old 09-18-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
I dont think you want to try and put clear bra on top of wax... have it perfectly clean for bra install then wax over afterwards

After reading about the kit you a def correct. My question should have read: would fresh wax affect the clear bra or would it have to be removed. (though the answer would be the same lol)

My co-worker told me about the 'invisi' clear bra. I didn't know the kit came with a wax remover. Pretty good
Old 09-18-2009, 06:38 PM
retired moderator

hahahaha I love when people pull up these threads as if the convo was going on last week or something lol priceless...

btw- the nissan touchup pen with clear coat works decent for $15 you cant go wrong
Admin/moderators here would much rather have you post in an old thread on the same topic that you want to discuss, than to create a new thread on the same topic. (I used to be a mod here, so I can tell you that)

Old threads already have alot of information in them, sometimes very good information that has been forgotten over the years. No need to start a new thread just so nooberts like yourself can just say the same thing that someone already said 5 years ago, right?

Skier I see you have been around a long time and obviously this makes you the master. Im glad you are part of the elite that can tell everybody what to do because you are so cool and I know this makes you feel good about yourself. Dont you think it would be more of a waste for me to post in the thread if I wasn't contributing to the topic at hand? You on the other hand have not contributed anything and are just bashing us to show how you are the best. You sir are much cooler than the rest of us by your display of superior forum etiquette knowledge.
STFU ...

Didn't I just read a post from you in the 5th gen "newbie questions" thread where you (a n00b) told some other n00b

"You will drive yourself crazy or bankrupt if you are worried about suspension noises. Its a common problem on these cars and noises dont always mean something is wrong."

One of the stupidest things I've seen written on here in a long time.

Perhaps instead of talking **** to veteran members here, maybe you should instead keep your trap shut and leave the advice-giving to people who actually know what they're talking about, k?

Last edited by irish44j; 09-18-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 AM

Well said Irish...
Old 09-21-2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
Admin/moderators here would much rather have you post in an old thread on the same topic that you want to discuss, than to create a new thread on the same topic. (I used to be a mod here, so I can tell you that)

Old threads already have alot of information in them, sometimes very good information that has been forgotten over the years. No need to start a new thread just so nooberts like yourself can just say the same thing that someone already said 5 years ago, right?
So you may have noticed that I was contributing to the thread and skier bashed me for that... AND what was your point in posting here besides to bash me you have nothing to contribute...

Originally Posted by irish44j
STFU ...

Didn't I just read a post from you in the 5th gen "newbie questions" thread where you (a n00b) told some other n00b

"You will drive yourself crazy or bankrupt if you are worried about suspension noises. Its a common problem on these cars and noises dont always mean something is wrong."

One of the stupidest things I've seen written on here in a long time.

Perhaps instead of talking **** to veteran members here, maybe you should instead keep your trap shut and leave the advice-giving to people who actually know what they're talking about, k?
This is true.... cars make noises... you could waste a bunch of money trying to make noises go away if you want. not my problem. Thats like idiots who replace brand new pads and rotors because they squeal... ftmtl AND this has nothing to do with the thread at hand so whats your point? What are you even doing outside OT anyway?? go back to where you belong with all those other bs'ers and nonsense makers, people are trying to have real conversations up here you know.

Last edited by nzelinsky; 09-21-2009 at 01:19 PM.