5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

WTF? Is urethane front lip supposed to crack?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WTF? Is urethane front lip supposed to crack?

i just got my fron't stillen urethane lip installed along with my ABS rear valance.

i paid 300 for painting and installing.
but now i got a problem.

somewhere in the middle of the front lip, on the bottom side of it, i see a crack the crack is getting like this:

\ /

wtf?
i drove it like a baby on the way home from the shop, no bumps whatsoever nor did i hit anything.........

i'm just wondering if the crack will get bigger, winter in NY could be really bad.........

i'll try to get some pics of it once i get ahold of a camera.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:07 PM

dang it....i shoulda check the bottom of it before i left that shop.

And no, i did not test fit it first, since i have no idea how to install it, all was done from the shop.

is impossible to see it from the front or top, u gotta touch it and feel it, or lift the car and look from bottom.

the front view of the car looks a lil funny tho, cuz a part of the lip is like curved upwards.
dang it, what am i supposed to do?

i don't think this shop is gonna take responsability since i already left the shop, grrrrrrrr nothing ever goes right, now my ride looks extremelly ghetto!
Old 12-09-2004, 03:19 PM

Don't stillen offer a warrantee or / grantee on their lip form cracking during normal use, I would call stillen up and say it manufacture defect.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:23 PM

I would bring it back right away and talk with them about it. Don't wait. They can't say that you hit anything if there's no marks on the front lip. Also, check and see if you can look at the crack. Is there any color IN the crack? As if they painted over it, and it was cracked already? From the way you said that it was curved upwards, it sounds like it wasn't installed/test fitted properly, and quite possibly damaged during installation. Did you check the lip before you dropped it off to them to be painted and installed? We always test fit any aftermarket bumper or ground effects kit here at our shop BEFORE it gets painted. Any adjustments/modifications should be made prior to painting.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:40 PM

i checked 100% it was ok before paint.

i left the kits for paint before installation, cuz i needed my car badly......

i requested to be painted before installed, they say installation is the simple part, so they agreed.

then they said the kit don't fit at all and that they had to paint it again after test fitting, but that they won't charge me for it.

now, i got introduced here by my friend, i don't really wanna b!tch at these guyz.......dang i dunno what to do. They are a collision and body shop, i guess they had no idea on body kits.

is there a way i can repair this?

anyone know a shop that could fix this crack? i will pay for it! is not big for now......but i'm pretty sure it will snap over time.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:43 PM

i know....this is what happens in ghetto land up in here......

man, they did the rear valance perfectly (must have been easy i guess).

but the front...i dunno, i'm worried that it will snap on me in the middle of the street, i'd look really dumb if that happens....
Old 12-09-2004, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by NYghettoGLE
i checked 100% it was ok before paint.

i left the kits for paint before installation, cuz i needed my car badly......

i requested to be painted before installed, they say installation is the simple part, so they agreed.

then they said the kit don't fit at all and that they had to paint it again after test fitting, but that they won't charge me for it.

now, i got introduced here by my friend, i don't really wanna b!tch at these guyz.......dang i dunno what to do. They are a collision and body shop, i guess they had no idea on body kits.

is there a way i can repair this?

anyone know a shop that could fix this crack? i will pay for it! is not big for now......but i'm pretty sure it will snap over time.
That sounds a little sketchy to me. I haven't heard of any fitment issues from other org members regarding the still front lip. But they said it "didn't fit at all." Then they said that they had to paint it over again. Obviously they did something to it to have to paint it over. "We're not going to charge you for painting it over again".........uh, damn right you're not. That's crazy! I would ask them nicely to re-do the work. It sounds like something's up over there. If they're even a remotely reputable "collision and body shop" they would know how to mount a body kit. Think about it, if these guys are supposed to be able to repair unibody and frame damage, I would like to HOPE that they could change a bumper cover or mount a lower valance panel! These are the kinds of guys that give our industry a bad rap. Just my .02!
Old 12-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My kit didn't fit on the car perfectly out of the box. The stillen kit is urethane so it can be heated and stretched. When we first test fitted my kit at the shop, the rear wouldn't fit around the entire bumper, and the front didnt fit all that well either. My body guy baked it so we could get a perfect fit and said he has experienced the same thing before with urethane parts. I also called stillen and asked them about it and they said heating may be necessary for a perfect fit also. Always test fit body parts before painting.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by NYC TAR
Don't stillen offer a warrantee or / grantee on their lip form cracking during normal use, I would call stillen up and say it manufacture defect.
u r absolutely right......My Stillen front bumper cracked and I called Stillen, they told me to take a pic and send it to them so they could check and approve the guarantee, so I did and they did approve to send me the new front bumper but I hav to rip or cut out the serial number off the back of the bumper and send it out to Stillen and they said they'll send me the brand new bumper......