5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Civic Question....Turbo Civic vs. my Max

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2001, 11:26 PM

alright, this kid at school that i don't even know said his friend (who apparently also goes to my school) will walk all over me...he is willing to bet money on this race...before i do something stupid and bet money on something, i want to know how this race is going to turn out

this kid apparently has a purple (eww) civic hatchback w/ a front body kit but no sideskirts and no rear bumper (no rear bumer at all...not even the stock one apparently)...he also has 17" rims on the back and the stocks on the front...he has a turbo that is running 7 lbs. of boost...i looked all around all 5 of our school parking lots today and i couldn't find anything...

his friend that is willing to bet me money has no idea what i have in my car or how fast it is etc.

i do not know either of these kids, but a friend of mine told me about all of this...i don't know what year civic it is but how many years came in a purple hatchback? so any help would be appreciated...i want some money, but i don't want to lose any money...on the bright side, i beat a kid at my school the other day w/ an older mustang 5.0 gt
Old 04-20-2001, 11:37 PM

o, and my friend told me its a single cam
Old 04-20-2001, 11:44 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Thats all the info you have on it or is that all hes got? was it the complete stock engine with a bolt on turbo? or is it a hybrid or motor swap?it can be any year, purple was a custom paint job. these little hondas with boost fly and are nothing to be messed with, i think you will be beat seeing he is so willing to race.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:46 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

i think it really depends on his kit. is it a custom kit? Revhard gen1 gen 2? Fastrax kit? Greddy kit? There are so many kits out there and they all put out different levels of power, and then he could easily have upped the boost that you wouldnt even know. I dont really know how fast your Max is so i cant be a good judge about that but i would say dont bet money on it cause he can prolly beat you.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:49 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

But at the same time its a single cam with no v-tec, you never know what your getting with them though.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:50 PM

well i haven't talked to the kid in the civic...this other kid w/ a customized accord (the civic kids friend) is the one trying to get us to race...i don't even know if there is a purple civic at our school because i haven't seen it...all the info came from my friend who talked to the kid w/ the accord...the kid w/ the accord gave that much info to my friend but by the sound of it, he was probably running stock internals...i will try to talk to him on monday and find out if he is running anything else...i know civics can be really fast but stock civics run high 17s to low 18s at the track (my friend w/ an 2k EX auto w/ dual exhaust and intake ran w/ me one time at the track and he ran an 18.4)...a turbo w/ 7lbs of boost is probably adding about 70-80 wheel hp which would probably bring up that 18.4 number to i'm guessing 16s or 15s...i doubt he can get into 14s w/ just a turbo...i'm also guessing that he doesn't have any internal work done because he didn't have enough money for the rear section of his body kit or for front rims so i'm guessing he spent it all on the turbo
Old 04-20-2001, 11:52 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Originally posted by MrBurner
well i haven't talked to the kid in the civic...this other kid w/ a customized accord (the civic kids friend) is the one trying to get us to race...i don't even know if there is a purple civic at our school because i haven't seen it...all the info came from my friend who talked to the kid w/ the accord...the kid w/ the accord gave that much info to my friend but by the sound of it, he was probably running stock internals...i will try to talk to him on monday and find out if he is running anything else...i know civics can be really fast but stock civics run high 17s to low 18s at the track (my friend w/ an 2k EX auto w/ dual exhaust and intake ran w/ me one time at the track and he ran an 18.4)...a turbo w/ 7lbs of boost is probably adding about 70-80 wheel hp which would probably bring up that 18.4 number to i'm guessing 16s or 15s...i doubt he can get into 14s w/ just a turbo...i'm also guessing that he doesn't have any internal work done because he didn't have enough money for the rear section of his body kit or for front rims so i'm guessing he spent it all on the turbo
if you believe that is the case then i will say that you will have a nice roadkill on your hands
Old 04-20-2001, 11:56 PM

i know there are a few people at school that i can't beat but those are all stock cars (a new mustang cobra, 3 ford f150 lightnings etc.)...there is only 1 person at school that i have raced and lost to...a trans-am ws6...those things are damn fast...everyone else i have raced i have beaten...

i really don't know if that is the case though so i will try to find out more info before i get myself into anything...if he won't tell me anything else, i might put down $20 or so because thats not too big of a deal...gotta take my box out and spare tire out though...and gotta be sure i'm low on gas

o well, if i lose to him in straight line, i can always challenge him to the twisties
Old 04-21-2001, 03:04 AM

A trans-am ws6? Whats's the WS6 for, ram-air, or is it a sports suspension package? I saw onw the other day and I didn't even bother to mess with it. How bad did he beat you?
Old 04-21-2001, 06:37 AM

i know there are a few people at school that i can't beat but those are all stock cars (a new mustang cobra, 3 ford f150 lightnings etc.)...there is only 1 person at school that i have raced and lost to...a trans-am ws6...those things are damn fast...everyone else i have raced i have beaten...

Damn man, what kind of school do you go to where students drive Lightings and Cobras. Is like a Ford SVT training school or something? Them are some nice cars for students to be driving.
Old 04-21-2001, 07:36 AM

hah...you think lightnings and cobras are nice...a couple of the teachers have vettes, one has a fully restored 36 chevy and there are tons of bimmers and mercedes...it is basically a school for the kids that get everything from their parents (****es me off because it seems like i'm the only one there that pays for anything)

and the ws-6...it's a step above the firebird but a step below the trans am...its 0-60 in the 5s and the ws6 stands for a 6spd manual...basically we were weaving in and out of traffic and i got to the light first...he was right behind me (not side by side) so from the light i floored it and basically by the time i got to about 60-70 he was passing me on the side (he had enough time to change lanes and pass)...by about 80 or 90 he was a couple car lengths ahead and we both saw a cop up ahead so we both shut down there...basically, those things are really fast...pontiacs in general are and the only firebird we can mess w/ is the v6
Old 04-21-2001, 10:10 AM
My 4DSC

Judging by your sig it looks like you only run 15.6?
If you know for a FACT that it's 1.5L/1.6L SOHC non-VTEC pushing only 7 psi then it would be a close race relying mostly on driver skill...
If it's a 1.6L SOHC VTEC (or ANY DOHC) with 7 psi you will probably lose...
Waaay back in the day (1996) I had a 96 civic EX...
Stock it went 16.7....
With the GReddy kit @ 7.5 psi it went 14.9...
With the GReddy kit @ 14 psi it went 13.5...
Eventually in late 1999 I got it to 11.4 with a hybrid/turbo setup...

I would say to be very careful racing this guy for money since your car is not very fast (no offense it's just not).
It is VERY EASY to simply adjust a wastegate/boost controller to push more boost....WATCH OUT!

Old 04-21-2001, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by maxse91
But at the same time its a single cam with no v-tec, you never know what your getting with them though.
If it's a single cam, that means that it isn't a hybrid. And he still has the d16 engine in there. But it might be putting out the same power as you w/ that turbo. I would try to look under the hood before you race him. He actually might have a GSR engine in there and lied to you.

Usually, when honda's get turboed and sometimes supercharged, they disable VTEC. B/c the computer gets really confused by all the air going in, so if a Honda has a turbo, there definately isn't a VTEC.
Old 04-21-2001, 10:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i really don't know if that is the case though so i will try to find out more info before i get myself into anything...if he won't tell me anything else, i might put down $20 or so because thats not too big of a deal...gotta take my box out and spare tire out though...and gotta be sure i'm low on gas

o well, if i lose to him in straight line, i can always challenge him to the twisties
Single cam turbo...race him! DOHC? maybe not. I raced a SOHC Civic turbo in my old SHO and ripped him one, although I ran high 14's in it.
Old 04-21-2001, 12:16 PM
My 4DSC

Originally posted by Mugen13

Usually, when honda's get turboed and sometimes supercharged, they disable VTEC. B/c the computer gets really confused by all the air going in, so if a Honda has a turbo, there definately isn't a VTEC.
COMPLETELY FALSE!
VTEC motors are VERY happy with turbo's.
I've never heard of ANYONE disabling the VTEC on purpose because they run a turbo...unless they're a moron.
For instance:
While on the dyno with my civic I made 225HP on my 1st pass.
We thought it was down on power so we checked the VTEC relay and guess what...it wasnt hooked up...
After about 2 minutes of re-wiring we got the VTEC activated and guess what....it put down 289HP!!
That was with a stock internal SOHC VTEC w/ GReddy kit @ 15psi....so be careful...even if its got a D-series motor.

The ONLY reason why some people chose to turbo a non-VTEC motor rather than a VTEC motor is because the VTEC motors have higher compression...so it's safer to run a turbo on Non-VTEC motor (w/ stock internals)...although with the non-VTEC's you give up other stuff such as the beefier rods and the oil squirters in the block...

Anyway...BE CAREFUL with your $$$!!
Anyone who's gone thru the trouble to put a turbo on their car is obviously serious about making power.

Old 04-21-2001, 04:23 PM

i need to redo my sig...that was my stock time before my y pipe, before my oscai conversion, before my full catback exhaust and before my new tires (which grip better off the line)
Old 04-21-2001, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by My 4DSC

COMPLETELY FALSE!
VTEC motors are VERY happy with turbo's.
I've never heard of ANYONE disabling the VTEC on purpose because they run a turbo...unless they're a moron.
For instance:
While on the dyno with my civic I made 225HP on my 1st pass.
We thought it was down on power so we checked the VTEC relay and guess what...it wasnt hooked up...
After about 2 minutes of re-wiring we got the VTEC activated and guess what....it put down 289HP!!
That was with a stock internal SOHC VTEC w/ GReddy kit @ 15psi....so be careful...even if its got a D-series motor.

The ONLY reason why some people chose to turbo a non-VTEC motor rather than a VTEC motor is because the VTEC motors have higher compression...so it's safer to run a turbo on Non-VTEC motor (w/ stock internals)...although with the non-VTEC's you give up other stuff such as the beefier rods and the oil squirters in the block...
I've heard of ppl disabling their VTEC on purpose. Go to superhonda.com and looks through some of the forums and some do disable VTEC. Since you had a Civic EX, that means that you had VTEC-E, E for economy. But if you had a civic Si, it would be smarter to disable VTEC.

Well anyways, different ppl do things different ways. I'm sure that there are ppl that turbo and keep their VTEC. And some that disable it. Their are more ways than one to do something.
Old 04-21-2001, 06:50 PM
My 4DSC

Originally posted by Mugen13

I've heard of ppl disabling their VTEC on purpose. Go to superhonda.com and looks through some of the forums and some do disable VTEC. Since you had a Civic EX, that means that you had VTEC-E, E for economy. But if you had a civic Si, it would be smarter to disable VTEC.

Well anyways, different ppl do things different ways. I'm sure that there are ppl that turbo and keep their VTEC. And some that disable it. Their are more ways than one to do something.
Uhhhhh...dude you don't know much about honda's do you?
1992-2000 Civic EX is NOT VTEC-E!
1996+ Civic HX is VTEC-E as well as the newer 2001 Civics.
C'MON with a screenname like that you should know better!

Old 04-21-2001, 07:28 PM

Why are you concerned about the Honda if you've raced Porsche's, Mustangs, Mercedes, and the like, with little or no knowledge of what they had under the hood (per your website)?
Old 04-21-2001, 08:08 PM

because this race is for money...when i race people on the street...i used to take on anyone...any takers...now i only race people that i think would be close or people that can kick my @$$...i don't race people that are really slow anymore like i used to...those races i just got lucky (the ones you mentioned)...i have never raced for money before and that is why i'm asking...i have never asked a question like this before because of that...i want to win money, but if there is no chance of me winning, i'll just race him for fun
Old 04-21-2001, 08:55 PM

alright, this kid at school that i don't even know said his friend (who apparently also goes to my school) will walk all over me...he is willing to bet money on this race...before i do something stupid and bet money on something, i want to know how this race is going to turn out

this kid apparently has a purple (eww) civic hatchback w/ a front body kit but no sideskirts and no rear bumper (no rear bumer at all...not even the stock one apparently)...he also has 17" rims on the back and the stocks on the front...he has a turbo that is running 7 lbs. of boost...i looked all around all 5 of our school parking lots today and i couldn't find anything...

his friend that is willing to bet me money has no idea what i have in my car or how fast it is etc.

i do not know either of these kids, but a friend of mine told me about all of this...i don't know what year civic it is but how many years came in a purple hatchback? so any help would be appreciated...i want some money, but i don't want to lose any money...on the bright side, i beat a kid at my school the other day w/ an older mustang 5.0 gt
If it is a hybrid/turbo do not attempt that. I raced one in my 2001 Max and he had me from jump, I hit 115 mph and he still flew past me.
Old 04-22-2001, 09:14 AM

Save your money,

you will probably get killed(IMO).
Old 04-22-2001, 03:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

huh huh...Civic. Shoulda bought a maxima. That's why they can afford to mod their cars like crazy. Cuz they barely paid anything for the car! They're silly motha f...
Old 04-23-2001, 08:56 AM

SON OF A ****!!!!!

Man, after reading all these replies, I'm getting kinda worried. My friend has been daring to race me in my new maxima with his '00 Civic EX. I had a 2K Max SE, and used to totally destroy him when all he had were a few mods. Now he's got a turbo running 11 LBS of boost. I've also got a 2K1 Max SE 5-Speed now, with really no mods on it. After reading all of your responses, I don't think I want to race him, and give him the satisfaction of knowing that his P.O.S. honda civic could pull on my Max. It's not FAIR!!!!! D*** these small cars to HE**!!!!
Old 04-23-2001, 09:04 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: SON OF A ****!!!!!

Originally posted by Y2K1MaximaDevil
Man, after reading all these replies, I'm getting kinda worried. My friend has been daring to race me in my new maxima with his '00 Civic EX. I had a 2K Max SE, and used to totally destroy him when all he had were a few mods. Now he's got a turbo running 11 LBS of boost. I've also got a 2K1 Max SE 5-Speed now, with really no mods on it. After reading all of your responses, I don't think I want to race him, and give him the satisfaction of knowing that his P.O.S. honda civic could pull on my Max. It's not FAIR!!!!! D*** these small cars to HE**!!!!
1 response... super charger.
Old 04-23-2001, 09:17 AM

Re: Re: SON OF A ****!!!!!

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

1 response... super charger.
2 response.. NOS
Old 04-23-2001, 09:19 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

3 responses... turbo the Max.
Old 04-23-2001, 09:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: SON OF A ****!!!!!

3 response
Ooglie
Old 04-23-2001, 01:46 PM
My 4DSC

11 psi on a 2K Civic EX = mid 13's to mid 14's depending on whether or not he's running slicks...

Don't race him unless you're a good driver & he's not...

A race from 0mph would be close on the street because he will be struggling with traction....bad.
You should be able to keep up...if not win...upto 60mph.
Anything over that and he'll walk you like a dog.

Old 04-23-2001, 07:14 PM

Get more info first....

Guys,
We all have been there before.... this guys knows a guys that said this... yadda yadda yadda... and when you finally talk to that guy, he did not know anything! Sound familiar guys? Best thing to do, find out more info first. Or better yet... talk to the guys with the purple Civic. We Maxima.org members never spend money on anything until we do some research on it, right?
About your winning chances... it will be close. When I had my 81' turbo RX-7, I use to run alot of these guys out at the night races. Some of them are pretty quick ( although I never had the pleasure of a Honda showing me their rear end back then ) I was doing mid 12's, and some I only bet by a car lenght or so.
Anyway, if is for $100 bucks or less... DO IT!!! But find out what he's got first!
Old 04-23-2001, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
3 responses... turbo the Max.
4 response.. skyline v-spec engine swap
Old 04-23-2001, 08:45 PM

Hmmm...

Well, I've been in his 2K civic already. I think in a 0-60 drag, I might be able to take him. He has a tendency to grind between 1st and 2nd in a crucial drag. But he's more interested in taking me on at highway speeds, which from what I understand (thanks My 4DSC), I'll lose. So, rather than take a loss with my newly broken in car, I think I'll call no joy to this one! It wasn't for money anyway. Just our egos on the line!
Old 04-23-2001, 10:42 PM

alright, found out all of the info that i could on this guys car

well apparently this guy doesn't go to my school so i won't be able to see the car unless i agree to a race (or if i see it on the street)...

he has a stock SOHC engine w/ a turbo, exhaust, gutted interior, and some sort of computer (i didn't talk to the guy that owned the car, i talked to his friend again...his friend said it isn't a chip, but a computer...(don't ask me...i already asked if it was a piggyback and it is not)

so the guy that owns this civic bought it from a friend...it is a 5spd and this friend of his ran a best time of 14.7 at the track...apparently this kid isn't as good of a driver as the previous owner and hasn't taken it to the track yet...the spark plug wires are messed up which causes the car to bog down apparently (sometimes he said)...

after finding this out, i think this would be a really really fun race...street racing is completely different from track racing...i am used to street racing and not track racing so i can get great launches on the street whereas on the track my launches aren't too amazing...so what does everyone think? if he can run a 14.7 (figuring this kid is as good as his friend was) he is probably getting upto about 100mph (give or take a few)...

my friend told me to challenge him to a best out of 3 races test...first race is from zero to 80...second race is from 60 to 130 (if it can even get up that high)...third race is in the twisties...what does everyone think? i think he might be able to take me from 0-80 but i think i can kill him from 60-130 (took my car upto 130 last night for the first time and it felt amazing...ran out of room but the car had plenty left in it...the y pipe and full catback exhaust are really really noticable at high speeds...before i would get upto about 100 and it would climb really really slow but now it climbs from 100-130 like it climbs from 0-60...the needle will just keep going...i know a 14.7 is at least point a few secs quicker than me in the 1/4 mile (that is his best time so i'm guessing he did it when it was cold out...when cold i'm thinking i can run a low 15...probably a 15.2 or so...he is still faster than me, but i have my street launch mastered (not even close to having my track launch mastered)...we can also race w/ people in the car since people in a 6 cyl doesn't hurt the speed as much as people in a 4cyl does

apparently this kid had a full body kit but went offroading (don't ask because i have no idea) and cracked the front and rear of the kit...he got so ****ed off apparently he took his sideskirts off and started beating the other pieces of the body kit (that were already cracked)...this kid doesn't sound too knowledgeable about cars so i think this will be a very close race from all of those 3 types of races i mentioned...i'll let everyone know what we decide
Old 04-23-2001, 10:49 PM

alright, found out all of the info that i could on this guys car

well apparently this guy doesn't go to my school so i won't be able to see the car unless i agree to a race (or if i see it on the street)...

he has a stock SOHC engine w/ a turbo, exhaust, gutted interior, and some sort of computer (i didn't talk to the guy that owned the car, i talked to his friend again...his friend said it isn't a chip, but a computer...(don't ask me...i already asked if it was a piggyback and it is not)

so the guy that owns this civic bought it from a friend...it is a 5spd and this friend of his ran a best time of 14.7 at the track...apparently this kid isn't as good of a driver as the previous owner and hasn't taken it to the track yet...the spark plug wires are messed up which causes the car to bog down apparently (sometimes he said)...

after finding this out, i think this would be a really really fun race...street racing is completely different from track racing...i am used to street racing and not track racing so i can get great launches on the street whereas on the track my launches aren't too amazing...so what does everyone think? if he can run a 14.7 (figuring this kid is as good as his friend was) he is probably getting upto about 100mph (give or take a few)...

my friend told me to challenge him to a best out of 3 races test...first race is from zero to 80...second race is from 60 to 130 (if it can even get up that high)...third race is in the twisties...what does everyone think? i think he might be able to take me from 0-80 but i think i can kill him from 60-130 (took my car upto 130 last night for the first time and it felt amazing...ran out of room but the car had plenty left in it...the y pipe and full catback exhaust are really really noticable at high speeds...before i would get upto about 100 and it would climb really really slow but now it climbs from 100-130 like it climbs from 0-60...the needle will just keep going...i know a 14.7 is at least point a few secs quicker than me in the 1/4 mile (that is his best time so i'm guessing he did it when it was cold out...when cold i'm thinking i can run a low 15...probably a 15.2 or so...he is still faster than me, but i have my street launch mastered (not even close to having my track launch mastered)...we can also race w/ people in the car since people in a 6 cyl doesn't hurt the speed as much as people in a 4cyl does

apparently this kid had a full body kit but went offroading (don't ask because i have no idea) and cracked the front and rear of the kit...he got so ****ed off apparently he took his sideskirts off and started beating the other pieces of the body kit (that were already cracked)...this kid doesn't sound too knowledgeable about cars so i think this will be a very close race from all of those 3 types of races i mentioned...i'll let everyone know what we decide
PUHHAHAHAHAHHAH offroading?? is this kid smart? with a body kit?? in a civic?? puhaha
Old 04-23-2001, 10:51 PM

thats exactly what i said when i heard that
Old 04-24-2001, 04:54 AM
Got Bent?

that guy sounds a bit strange to say the least...

anyhow, sounds like it might be a good race...