5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

6spd wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 10:44 PM

6spd wheel hop

To all those with 6 speeds, does anyone else have a problem with OBSURDLY hard wheel hop off the line??? Even w/ the HLSD? and if anyone else has this problem, what is the best way to cure it? i still have the Pootenzas on, and i delfated them to 25 psi last night at the track it helped a little, but it feels like the dash is going to fall off for about 3 seconds when the car launches. When it finally grabs its cool, but untill it hooks, it is ugly. i dunno if it is just the tires, or what, but it bugs me. sorry if this was posted somewhere else already, i could'nt find a thread anywhere on it.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:46 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Place Racing motor mounts. Stiff as heck.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:57 AM

feather the clutch a bit more, and 25psi isnt low, drag radials DOT approved or not are around 10.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:06 AM

those stock tires are really REALLY bad... (Potenza RE92)... I launch fairly well... somtimes the wheel jerks SLIGHTLY to the right but i am able to overcome it. I think a large part of it are the tires. Ive been able to spin them around 5-6k rpm after i "caught grip" in first gear after peeling out from the launch. My recommendation would definately be to pick up some decent tires like the kumho ecsta supras. I think it will help dramatically.

How do you know if your car has the HLSD... Do all of the 6spds have some sort of limited slip differencial build in? I've been reading mixed sources that say it does and it doesn't... I have a 2003 SE Titanium Edition. My car doesn't have the traction control or heated seats (worthless in miami) but I don't know conclusively about the HLSD never illuminated before.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:27 AM

There is a way to tell if your car has HLSD using the a tag under the hood but I can't search so I don't know what that info is. Also, I know that on my original window sticker HLSD was an option (I think a $399 option) and not standard equipment with a 6-speed. It may have been a necessary option, however, meaning if you got a manual then that option was automatically added in. I honestly don't know. But I am sure that someone can tell you the tag's location and what you need to look for to determine if you have HLSD.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Barc
There is a way to tell if your car has HLSD using the a tag under the hood but I can't search so I don't know what that info is. Also, I know that on my original window sticker HLSD was an option (I think a $399 option) and not standard equipment with a 6-speed. It may have been a necessary option, however, meaning if you got a manual then that option was automatically added in. I honestly don't know. But I am sure that someone can tell you the tag's location and what you need to look for to determine if you have HLSD.
Thanks alot for this information. I will research this, this afternoon.
Since yours is standard equip does a little light come on in your dash "SLIP" when you turn on the car.. mine doesnt. i would imagine it doesnt until you actually "slip"
Old 12-20-2004, 06:36 AM

I have LSD and there is no slip light at all, and the LSD is an option, not standard on 6 speeds. I got the only one at the dealership with it, in fact, so I think they are somewhat rare. As far as the wheel hop goes, Phxblue is right, get some new motor mounts, and/or just lauch easier. Your going nowhere while they're hopping anyway, so you will run a faster 60' easing into it more.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:46 AM

Nope, no light. Its not going to tell you when it "activates" because its always "activated." Its mechanical and in the transmission itself and not anything electronic like traction control. You don't have to hit a switch to turn it on nor pull a lever to turn it off.

And I didn't say it was standard. I was speculating that it may have had to come with HLSD (an automatic option) but didn't know. Sorry if my wording was messed up. Assuming sooner is right and going with my window sticker, not every 6-speed comes with HLSD. It seems like a good number did but most that did get them were probably more "enthusiasts" than the average driver... which has led them to the org and given the org a skewed perspective on the ratios of all Maximas.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:28 AM

Are you lowered at all? I got awful wheel hop on the stock tires until I lowered the car. Since then, even with the same tires I don't get any hop, just wheel spin.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Need A Light?

your 6spd is running totally fine.....we have so much tq....and our fwd drivetrain doesn't help much either....but here are somethings to help cure it....

1. stiffer motor mounts = either place racing for $270 shipped from Cattman....or Energy Suspension inserts for $79 intro sale going on right now.....both motor mounts do its job correctly but I heard energy suspension's is softer at idle becuz of their patented design....

2. aftermarket suspension = struts will help big time when it comes to wheel hop....or if you have the dough, just get the full coilover setup....I am running D2 racing coilovers and absolutely love it....nice and firm and helped reduce wheel hop greatly....

3. aftermarket rims/tires = the stock potenzas and stock 17x7 rim ain't gonna cut it....your going to wanna run wider more lower profile tires to get maximum grip....and to help reduce wheel hop.....i suggest 17x9 all four corners with 255/45/17....
Old 12-20-2004, 01:23 PM
mjg

an OEM hlsd can be purchased from dave b. There is a few months turn around, but i got mine, and it's going in tommorow ; ).

Yet i will warn, from what i understand, HLSD will not help wheel hop one bit, yet place racing motor mounts, or energy suspension bushinigs to fit into stock motor mounts will.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:49 PM

the slip light is for traction control...6spd maxes dont have traction control
Old 12-20-2004, 02:28 PM
Need A Light?

stevay....that max looks like a Tungsen Blue in that picture.....but its really sterling mist rite?
Old 12-20-2004, 03:08 PM

I have an auto with just an intake and I have massive amount of wheel hop till I hit about 3500 rpm after launch then it is a guessing game if it will hook or spin. I sugest getting wither a set of BF Goodrich T/A's or Falkin azenus. buddy of mine has them on his ride and when cold they mak for getat burnouts but as soon as they get hot sticky sticky sticky. Struts help too cant comment about the motor mounts

Keep in mind that the lower you go the less suspension play you have hence less wheel hop.

The crap that is oem is truely BLOWTENZA'S