5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

AE Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

AE Headlights

Does anyone know where the site is to get these for a cheap price. I remember seeing it on a previous thread but when I searched for it, I couldn't find anything useful. If anyone has this site it hand it would be greatful. I'm deciding to either get these or the 2k2 lights from ebay. Not sure if I should get the 2k2 headlights because I go to school in the Philly area....

Thanx!
Old 12-30-2004, 09:15 AM

whatever you do DO NOT buy AE headlights from 1001headlights.com

-Anthony
Old 12-30-2004, 11:31 AM

there is a link in the "LINKS" tab on the main maxima.org page, chexk there i saw them at the Wholesale Headlight link.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:52 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

http://www.autolightwarehouse.com/maxima00-01.html

$99 each. The guy who runs the site is SUPER friendly and runs a water-tight buisness. I purchased mine from them and nothing but positive things to say about them.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I say save your money...I got help from the org and made my own for free.

Here's what they look like...

drop me a PM if you want to know more on how to do it.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:28 PM

does the one done yourself look better than the stock AE's?

On the link site... the pictures of the AE headlights doesn't look as dark as I would like them to be.. :-/
Old 12-30-2004, 04:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't have pictures of the actually process but here are the instructions:

Also, thanks go to those orgers who helped me out when I did this

FYI - you won’t need anything for this, not even paint, the chrome on the housing just rubs off and leaves a high gloss black finish(not the bronze look of the OEM AE Headlights, but the pictures I posted on the org do the talking)

1. First, take off the headlights, when you open the hood, you see two bolts, take those out. Now, there's a clip underneath the headlight and will unfasten when you pull the headlight out. Once you start pulling you notice, there's something behind the blinker holding the headlight in, just kind of jiggle the headlight and it should come out. Also don't forget to unplug the signals before you do this.

2. Now once you have the headlight unit out, bring it inside out of the cold. Now take out all the screws you see on the back of the unit, including the post that is next to the signal.

3. Next comes the scariest and most difficult part...Preheat your oven to about 250 degrees. I recommend putting a soaking wet in the oven with the headlight. Try put something under the headlight so it doesn't melt anything because the oven shelves tend to get really hot. Leave it in there for about 10 minutes. This will loosen up the glue that holds the unit together. When the time is up, take the headlight out, IT WILL BE HOT.

4. This part is pretty messy, you'll notice the tabs around the whole headlight, holding the front and back parts together, get a flat head screw driver or similar tool, and slowly and patiently pry open the plastic is these points. It will take some time but you'll start to feel the headlight casing open up. You will also get the silicon glue all over the place. You might also have to put the headlight back into the oven to loosen up the glue if you can't get it open.

5. Once you have the front and back pieces apart, you see some screws to take the chrome part off of the clear front lens. Now pull the chrome piece out.

6. Now get another towel, and soak it in warm/hot water, wring it out, and start rubbing the chrome, you'll see after a few rubs the chrome easily comes off. Do this for the whole piece except by the signals, take a look at the pics in this post. I did mine this way because that's how there are done on the OEM AE Healights. If you want you can do the whole things, it's just a matter of preference.

7. Once you're done, put the chrome piece back into the lens, screw it down, and put the front and back pieces back into the oven so that you loosen up the glue again.

8. Once you get them out of the oven carefully put them back together, making sure to press the tabs down into the holes they were in. This will ensure a sealed headlight. I thought I would see moisture in my headlight but did not because I made sure each tabs was properly seated.

Hope this helps...I also had a practice headlight which i'll sell to someone who just wants to practice opening the headlight however I won't be able to ship it until mid-January
Old 12-30-2004, 11:25 PM

i'm thinking about getting 2k2 headlights but i dunno.. would I have to spend more money to wire correctly and so on... i need some knowledge of fitting the 2k2 headlights on my 2k... well hopefully someone can help!

Thanx!
Old 12-31-2004, 03:00 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by MaximaVQ97
whatever you do DO NOT buy AE headlights from 1001headlights.com

-Anthony
why not? i bought mine from there and have had no problems in almost a year.

real AE headlights are a bronze color..not black like the home made ones

Old 12-31-2004, 05:41 PM

........................y do they look like that?????
Old 01-01-2005, 09:19 AM

Real "AE" lights look SLIGHTLY bronze becasue they have a bronze tint on them, ive seen the 1001headlights.com AE version and ive seen nissans OEM "AE" headlights and they are totally different.

-Anthony
Old 01-01-2005, 01:19 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

instead of rudding the crhome off why don't you jusdt paint it with high heat paint? that was you can get the color you want....
Old 01-01-2005, 02:01 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by soonerfan
why not? i bought mine from there and have had no problems in almost a year.

real AE headlights are a bronze color..not black like the home made ones

I thought you said one of yours was leaking, Jason....
Old 01-01-2005, 04:45 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by MaximaVQ97
Real "AE" lights look SLIGHTLY bronze becasue they have a bronze tint on them, ive seen the 1001headlights.com AE version and ive seen nissans OEM "AE" headlights and they are totally different.

-Anthony
well mine are from 1001headlights and they are bronze like the "real" AE ones...so how are they diffirent from the OEM "bronze ones"?

tell me how mine are diffirent...see close up pic above