5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

rear sway bar questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 10:22 PM

rear sway bar questions

Does the SE come with a rear strut or sway bar already and what is the difference between the sway and sturt bars? I didn't think it did but someone told me they do? So would there be a rear sway bar and strut bar along with a front strut bar and sway bar? Would it be ok to have a front strut bar without having anything else? I am a newb when it comes to suspenstion issues and this forum doesn't have a suspension forum for me to browse. thanks.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Bigger than Jesus

I have the Stillen RSB/FSTB on my car. A strut bar connects either the 2 front or 2 rear struts together making the car have tighter handling. You could have just an FSTB but will notice a bigger difference in handling if you get an RSB. I went with the Stillen RSB b/c it was much easier for me to install than the Progress RSB.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:03 PM

where does the RSB install at and how hard is it to do? Is there such a thing as a frong or rear sway bar or are they talking about the same thing?
Old 01-02-2005, 02:04 AM

The RSB installs underneath the rear axle and connects to rear beam. It's not that hard to do if you have a jack and stands. Yes, the Maxima has a front sway bar already, and front and rear sway bars are not the same. One is in the front, one is in the rear.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:33 AM

Strut braces do just that - they brace te tops of the strut towers. The Max benefits particularly from a front strut brace, the improvement from a rear brace is much less noticeable (my 2k se came with stiffening brackets on the rear strut towers from the factory - a cross brace would only add a little stiffness). A decent front brace can be had for under $50.
Swaybars, or properly Anti-swaybars decrease the amount of lean in a car by acting as a torsion bar between the two sides of the car. The Max comes with front and rear bars, the front is huge and nobody makes an aftermarket replacement - more front bar would give more (undesirable) understeer. The stock rear bar is welded into the rear twist beam and not changeable. The aftermarket bars mount to the twist beam/trailing arms and add to the stock bar. They are great bang for the buck in terms of feel since the Max is heavily biased towards understeer in stock form. Progress and Stillen both work well - Stillen is much more expensive and prettier.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:24 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

This is a write-up for a RSB installation (which was found in the HOW-TO STICKY) When you purchase one new, you will get instructions included. Please for future install questions, please browse through the HOW-TO & FAQ STICKY.

I have an ebay FSTB and the Progress RSB and other than lowering the car, these two simple mods improve the handling the most.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

again

the very reason why the search needs to be turned ON
Old 01-02-2005, 10:41 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

theres no sway bar for the front. here is a pic of a front strut bar:

this is a rear strut bar in the trunk:

this is a sway bar under the solid axel you have in the rear:

none are hard to install.........
Old 01-02-2005, 11:31 AM
Bandwagon Lover

Originally Posted by ighettoboyi
again

the very reason why the search needs to be turned ON
No reason for search when it is in the FAQ...
Old 01-02-2005, 11:40 AM

So basically a rear swaybar is a lot more effective than a rear strut bar when combined with a FSTB? Is the rear strut bar worth the money, or will improvements be minimal when compared to the two other mods?
Old 01-02-2005, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by sublimer
So basically a rear swaybar is a lot more effective than a rear strut bar when combined with a FSTB? Is the rear strut bar worth the money, or will improvements be minimal when compared to the two other mods?
the two have diffrent rolls. sway bar cuts down on body roll. and the strut bar in my opinion they held the car together better. like the body felt more stiff, and made the wheels more aligned, didn't pull to the sides, more control basicly. when all put on its just more control hands down.

I got a otto fstb from ebay. the rear stb was a knock off cheap one from ebay. and the stillen sway bar...
Old 01-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Bandwagon Lover

Sway bar limits body roll. Strut tower braces limit body flex during hard cornering. Since there is tons of metal bracing in the back of the car (as compared to the front), a rear brace does not offer much help at all in comparison to a front brace.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by crispykid717
I have the Stillen RSB/FSTB on my car. A strut bar connects either the 2 front or 2 rear struts together making the car have tighter handling. You could have just an FSTB but will notice a bigger difference in handling if you get an RSB. I went with the Stillen RSB b/c it was much easier for me to install than the Progress RSB.
why was the install on the Stillen easier?
Old 01-02-2005, 02:34 PM

Do i have to go to brand name manufacturer and spend $100+ on an FSTB? Or will a budget one serve the same purpose?
Old 01-02-2005, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by sublimer
Do i have to go to brand name manufacturer and spend $100+ on an FSTB? Or will a budget one serve the same purpose?
no you don't. go to ebay OTTO RACING has one that looks like the stillen for way less. theres a pic of it on this thread if you scroll down you will see my install on my 02 maxima..
Old 01-02-2005, 02:46 PM

but the durability and installation is all the same, no problems?
Old 01-02-2005, 03:33 PM

thanks for everyones reply this was really helpful... I understand this to be that our max has a rear and front sway bar stock and that a front sturt bar will help out more then the rear correct? I am going to just get the ebay otto one for the front and I should be in good shape for now...
Old 01-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Bigger than Jesus

Originally Posted by PO-POMAX2K
why was the install on the Stillen easier?
The Stillen was easier for me b/c it does not have the brackets that go over the axle. Those brackets were a pita for me trying to install the bar with no help. The Stillen bar just has two brackets that attach to each arm so it was easier for me to install with no one else's help.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:38 PM

anyone ever wonder why we have the Best sedan nissan offers.

yet we have the Worst Message board in the whole nissan community?

i'd be Ticked if i donated because...

a) it's always down

and

b) search dont work(i know unless you pay....see a))

this community has helped me a ton in alot of ways it's just difficult when you
come from b15sentra.net or altimas.net(now nissanclub) and their boards run so well. I think we need to donate a maxima to one of those guys who runs their boards so they can get this one up to speed.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Bandwagon Lover

The board has only been down once in the last few month other than the maintenance that went on once we had the new Administration. People don't read the FAQ, what makes you think they would use search?
Old 01-02-2005, 07:44 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Nissan2k2specV
anyone ever wonder why we have the Best sedan nissan offers.

yet we have the Worst Message board in the whole nissan community?

i'd be Ticked if i donated because...

a) it's always down

and

b) search dont work(i know unless you pay....see a))

this community has helped me a ton in alot of ways it's just difficult when you
come from b15sentra.net or altimas.net(now nissanclub) and their boards run so well. I think we need to donate a maxima to one of those guys who runs their boards so they can get this one up to speed.
hmm...I never have trouble with the search, and the org hasn't been down (to my knowledge) since mid-summer, when they upgraded the server

the grass is always greener......

as to the subject at hand,
IMO, the best suspesion setup for ride and handling is:
-Springs (H&R or Maxspeed)
-Struts (Illuminas)
-RSB (any)
-LTB (Blehmco is the only one still made, I think)
-FSTB.

The LTB is the often-forgotten "key" to great handling!!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2005, 11:15 PM

it's funny i got the this page is currently unnavailable just after i posted and tryed to return to the replies.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:46 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by irish44j
hmm...I never have trouble with the search, and the org hasn't been down (to my knowledge) since mid-summer, when they upgraded the server
- I haven't had any issues as well. Search works for me every single time.