5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Manual Trans owners, quick question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 09:22 AM

Manual Trans owners, quick question

Hey guys, I just recently bought a pre-owned 2000 Maxima with 30k on it,

My buddy, who also owns a 2000 maxima got to drive it, and he feels that my clutch engages with the pedal too low to the floor of the car (this is my first manual after 3 years of driving automatic so I'm still readjusting and havent noticed anything) but it doesnt hurt to ask. So my question to you is, approximately where (pedal position) does your clutch engage?
Old 01-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Its has offly low miles. I have 98k now, and my catches more then half way from the floor. But as far a I remember, when the car was new, thats about right where it was. I think u can also adjust the clutch, where it catches.
Nick
Old 01-03-2005, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the reply, I havent noticed anything yet, but like i said in the first post, never hurts to ask, I'm gonna take it in for an oil change this week anyway, I'll have my Mech look at it while its there.

Any other opinions?
Old 01-03-2005, 10:09 AM

I think that a worn clutch would cause your clutch to engage while the pedal is almost out, and not close to the floor. That, coupled with the low miles on your car, I don't think you have to worry about a worn clutch. like nicks said, I do believe you can adjust it, however, I do not know how.

It sounds like you are in good shape and you don't need to worry about it. Just remember, take care of your car, and it will take care of you. Also, keep in mind that you will probably have to replace your ignition coils (if they haven't been replaced already), and the mass air-flow sensor. Those two things are what the 2000 maxima's are known for as parts that will eventually go bad prematurely.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:11 AM

Each car is different. My 2003 catches before my 1997... Although I am comparing two different years, both clutches were/are fine.. I think worries should come if your clutch is slipping or not enguaging properly... If it drives without incident i wouldnt worry about it too much...
Old 01-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Ben

EdgeX,
The clutch travel is in fact adjustable. Personally, I altered mine to grab almost as soon as I lift the pedal from the floor. Some Orgers will tell you that this will damage the clutch. However, I have done this on every car I have owned without problems.
There is a possible danger, if the clutch does not completely disengage when you push the pedal down, this will damage the clutch! You can test this quite simply:
Put the car in 1st. With the pedal depressed, give the car some gas. If the car moves at all, you MUST adjust the pedal travel. Slowly lift the pedal until you begin to feel the clutch grab. There should be a "cushion" between the point where it grabs and where YOU depress the pedal when you shift.
Many people do not completely depress the clutch pedal when they shift. If you are one of those, no worries, just adjust your clutch pedal to your driving.

Enjoy your max. I love my 2k.

PS...Get a rear sway bar. You will love it.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the tips guys,

to Ben,

Yea, I've already started looking at sway bars, strut bars, intakes and all the fun mod stuff, but since i just bought the car, i am, obviously low on cash, however I have ordered some stuff for my new baby

first thing ordered where the chrome door sills and the AE shift ****, right now just simple inexpensive mods that will make the car pop.

However, I am a little uncertain what to do with my tail lights, right now the car is super black with the red housing tail lights, I was thinking of purchasing the black ones...I wanna do a whole dark theme with the car, hence I am also looking into buying (when i have the cash) the Motegi FF7 black with chrome trim wheels, I think that would make my new max really shine.

in addition I'm lookin to buy the R34 Front end bumper from Visracing.com and if possible combining it with some simple lip kits (if it looks ok) since I dont really like any of the side skirts and rear bumper kits out there....

I'll have pics up as soon as I get my cousin's digi cam...

again thanks for all the help...

Love the org
Old 01-06-2005, 06:25 PM

Check yer VIAS. If it ain't broken yet, it will be soon. There is a very weak link in it, that fails quickly but is easily repaired for big top end gains. You can't tell whether it's broken without dissassembly.

Better yet, enjoy your car for a few weeks with the broken VIAS, then fix it and fall in love all over again.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by EdgeX
Hey guys, I just recently bought a pre-owned 2000 Maxima with 30k on it,

My buddy, who also owns a 2000 maxima got to drive it, and he feels that my clutch engages with the pedal too low to the floor of the car (this is my first manual after 3 years of driving automatic so I'm still readjusting and havent noticed anything) but it doesnt hurt to ask. So my question to you is, approximately where (pedal position) does your clutch engage?
When i drive manual cars (valet) I like the ones that engage early....for some reason they feel the easiest to drive to me.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:21 PM

mine catches probably more than half way up from the floor..its been like that since i bought it (30k miles) but i thought that this would be more normal than it catching too early. this is because my friends 92 honda accord's clutch with 225k on it catches maybe 3 inches off the floor. that is the car i learned how to drive standard on and when i got my car, i didnt really notice how high off the floor the clutch was until i drove that car again, and its like night and day...so from this i figured the more worn a clutch would get the further in it would go..but i guess im wrong considering some of the things people are saying. i guess you learn something new every day
Old 01-06-2005, 11:28 PM
Bigger than Jesus

My clutch engages pretty high up too. I wish it was lower then I could shift quicker.