5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stock SE Springs with Illumina

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stock SE Springs with Illumina

I've been reading many many posts regarding after market suspension kits for the 5th generation Maxima and i'm very close to buying some shock and/or springs for my 2003 SE with 55k miles. Looks like Illumina adjustable shocks are a very good choice if i want better handling yet comfortable ride. If i buy springs, most likely i'll go with H&R.

I have some questions that i could not find the answers for:

1. Since lowering the car is desired (front mostly) but NOT a requirement, what would happen if i install the Illuminas keeping the stock SE springs? Has anyone done it? What would be the negative effects, if any, other than not being able to lower the car? Would the stock springs handle this change?Should i even think about doing this or its not worth it and kills the whole purpose?

2. If i decide to replace the shocks/springs ... is this something that i can do in my own home garage? I've done a LOT of suspension work on older Audi cars(replaced many pairs of shock, struts, bars but never done springs), but Audi and Nissan are very different, so i need to know if this is a complicated procedure or not. If it's doable, then i am guessing that the only thing i'll need help with is allignement, correct?

3. If i go with Illuminas and H&R the car will be lowered. For those of you who have this setup, do you think i'll have ANY issues running snow chains/cables on the front stock size tires in case i get stuck in snow? This is important.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old 01-07-2005, 03:26 PM

i can only answer your install question. Yes you can do it your self, just be sure to use a GOOD fwd spring compressor. Other than that basic hand tools. And an alignment is a must as your cambers gonna be shot.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:28 PM
retired moderator

I initially planned to put illuminas with my OEM SE struts, but ended up doing Illuminas + Maxspeeds. Couldn't be happier...subtle drop (closed front wheel gap especially) and the ride is actually BETTER than stock overall, as is the handling of the car. Maxspeeds are similar to H&R but alot les $$...!
Old 01-07-2005, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
I initially planned to put illuminas with my OEM SE struts, but ended up doing Illuminas + Maxspeeds. Couldn't be happier...subtle drop (closed front wheel gap especially) and the ride is actually BETTER than stock overall, as is the handling of the car. Maxspeeds are similar to H&R but alot les $$...!
Thanks for the response. With the Maxspeed, by looking at your front wheel clearance, do you think you can install snow cables/chains on your tires without a problem?

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2005, 04:16 PM
retired moderator

I would think so....haven't tried it, but I've seen chains/cables on cars lowered more than mine....there's certainly enough clearance, it's just a little harder to reach around the wheel
Old 01-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by dansmax2003

1. Since lowering the car is desired (front mostly) but NOT a requirement, what would happen if i install the Illuminas keeping the stock SE springs? Has anyone done it? What would be the negative effects, if any, other than not being able to lower the car? Would the stock springs handle this change?Should i even think about doing this or its not worth it and kills the whole purpose?
Basically, you need to call a dealer and ask them if they MUST be used with lowering springs. If they have to, the reason is because the effective travel is shorter and is not designed to be operated with full height springs. The shock will be operating beyond its effective range, which will lead to premature failure. Now, if they dont need lowering springs, slap on the stockers and enjoy the ride.

2. If i decide to replace the shocks/springs ... is this something that i can do in my own home garage? I've done a LOT of suspension work on older Audi cars(replaced many pairs of shock, struts, bars but never done springs), but Audi and Nissan are very different, so i need to know if this is a complicated procedure or not. If it's doable, then i am guessing that the only thing i'll need help with is allignement, correct?
You will need spring compressors, and a good mechanics tool set (craftsman makes many). Air tools are a plus, and greatly speed up the work but arent necessary.

3. If i go with Illuminas and H&R the car will be lowered. For those of you who have this setup, do you think i'll have ANY issues running snow chains/cables on the front stock size tires in case i get stuck in snow? This is important.

I dont think you will have issues due to the fact the wheel well is quite deep. Now this totally depends on how radical the drop is, and the spring rates. If you dont go too low, you will be fine with chains.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:44 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by E55AMG2
Basically, you need to call a dealer and ask them if they MUST be used with lowering springs. If they have to, the reason is because the effective travel is shorter and is not designed to be operated with full height springs. The shock will be operating beyond its effective range, which will lead to premature failure. Now, if they dont need lowering springs, slap on the stockers and enjoy the ride.
The paperwork that comes with the illuminas makes not reference for a need to use them with lowering springs. In fact, they specifically say the warranty is void if you use them with a drop over 2" or something. The way the paperwork reads, there appears to be nothign wrong with using them with stock springs......
Old 01-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Wat

Then its settled, stock springs will do fine.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:13 PM

aren't all aftermarket shocks for our car really meant for stock springs? they're all o.e. replacements but CAN be lowered up to 1.5" if my memory serves me correct
Old 01-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Wat

Not all, some are for lowering springs only
Old 01-08-2005, 08:55 AM

Camber is not adjustable, except with camber plates. Still, I had my camber checked after I lowered my car 1.7" in front with Progress springs. It was still exactly in specs, and lowering springs do nothing to change toe-in; the only adjustable alignment angle on our cars.

So don't worry about your alignment, and you only need camber plates if you are going racing and want negative camber. I got my Progress springs for a good price from Cattman; and the ride is very near stock unless I crank up the Illuminas.

BTW, be very careful installing the illuminas, and do NOT torque over spec. I twisted the top off one with over enthusiastic wrenching, and had to buy a new one.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Don't bother spending the extra money on the illuminas if you're not going to get some different springs. The springs are what affect the stiffness of the ride the most. Just get the Tokico Blues if you are going to stick with stock springs. If you plan on getting new springs in the near future, then go with the illuminas.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by E55AMG2
Not all, some are for lowering springs only
like...........
Old 01-08-2005, 11:49 AM

between the maxspeed and h&r's & progress springs, is there a big difference between the 3 comfort levels?
Old 01-08-2005, 12:04 PM

i think the ride on stock springs would be awesome. i would have stayed with stock springs but i got 19" rims and the wheel gap was terrible. i'm on H&R's now with illumina's and the ride and handling is great. i have the front struts at 3 and the rear at 4 plus i have a fstb. i get compliments all the time on how well the car handles. my friend was in the car a few days after the install and she still complimented on how smooth the ride was. I notice it's a bit bumpier than stock but losing that stock body roll is a fair trade-off IMO.

the install is relatively easy too. i used housecor's how to. did all 4 sides, springs and struts, in one afternoon with a buddies help.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:59 AM

I use Illuminas on stock SE springs. They're wonderful. The stock struts are crap. Ride quality is the main improvement with using Illuminas on stock springs. So yeah, the Illuminas are definitely compatible with stock SE springs. I installed them myself last March.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by spirilis
I use Illuminas on stock SE springs. They're wonderful. The stock struts are crap. Ride quality is the main improvement with using Illuminas on stock springs. So yeah, the Illuminas are definitely compatible with stock SE springs. I installed them myself last March.
could you expound on the "ride quality" improvement with stock springs? in what ways would you say it is better? thanks.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:01 AM

^^ i have no experience but from the year or so i've been on the boards and the testimonials i've read, when using aftermarket shocks with stock springs you have an improvement in the "jitteriness" of the stock struts AND handling (less body roll/car stays flatter out of turns). so not only does your handling improve without compromising the smoothness, you have a more stable ride (the ride may be firmer but by no means rough/harsh). correct me if i'm wrong! this is why i'm buying illuminas myself
Old 01-11-2005, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by spirilis
how about a little more info on ride quality for those who want to do this?
Old 01-11-2005, 04:10 PM

I definately want this. The entire reason I did not go aftermarket suspension is all the problems with aftermarket springs. I would still love to have better quality struts that absorb bumps better and make the car actually feel solid.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by PTNR
how about a little more info on ride quality for those who want to do this?
It's been a while (got them in late last March, I drive almost 45K miles in a year), but I recall my stock struts were a little too "wishy-washy" when it came to major suspension movements... i.e. after doing a corner, the car would maintain traction, but the car would feel like it still wanted to rock side-to-side a tad. It recovered, just not as crisp.
After installing the Illuminas, that stabilized. The vehicle recovers from body roll a little quicker. How quickly it does is influenced by the setting--Illuminas are adjustable with 5 settings.
Going over bumps, I'd hear a lot of noise... with the Illuminas, it was a little better.
Part of this might have to do with the fact that one of my rear struts was apparently damaged, in such that the piston compressed all the way but wouldn't come back out on its own. That probably influenced a lot of it. Beyond that though, I remember reading a lot of people have trouble with the stock struts (and might not even know it, since it's sometimes difficult to pinpoint strut problems).
Old 01-12-2005, 12:52 PM

do you have any other suspesion mods other than the struts?
Old 01-12-2005, 02:20 PM

Not at the moment.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:45 PM

I am not sure if it is the struts or not but I stopped driving my car in spirited mode. If there was a dead straight road that was flat I may press it. My car is unstable at best around small bends on the highway if I even have the gas half way down. The car does not recover from left to right movements and I know when I am spirited I would have no control at all in any type of emergency maneuver. I know this would be fixed with springs and new struts and I have just decided not to spend another dime on performance until I could get this somewhat under control. This will probably never happen and after driving my brother's audi I would never consider another nissan. The Audi handles like a dream and I love it.

For now I drive like a grandma and it feels good because I have FULL control over my car at all times. I NEVER will romp on the gas at all on the highway. The stock suspension is unstable at BEST.

I am not sure if illuminas would solve my problem.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by mdloops
I am not sure if it is the struts or not but I stopped driving my car in spirited mode. If there was a dead straight road that was flat I may press it. My car is unstable at best around small bends on the highway if I even have the gas half way down. The car does not recover from left to right movements and I know when I am spirited I would have no control at all in any type of emergency maneuver. I know this would be fixed with springs and new struts and I have just decided not to spend another dime on performance until I could get this somewhat under control. This will probably never happen and after driving my brother's audi I would never consider another nissan. The Audi handles like a dream and I love it.

For now I drive like a grandma and it feels good because I have FULL control over my car at all times. I NEVER will romp on the gas at all on the highway. The stock suspension is unstable at BEST.

I am not sure if illuminas would solve my problem.
It really sounds like your stock struts are hosed to me... your struts are supposed to stabilize the vehicle, so the exact phenomenon you're describing doesn't happen. I personally think the stock struts suck.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:49 PM

I think it is a mixture between poor struts and weak springs. This causes severe underdampening. If I had not already spent money on intake / exhaust I would have dropped it and added the illuminas. The power adders are actually useless with stock suspension (IMO). The car already has too much power for the dampening the suspension provides.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:36 AM

I just swapped in a set of Illumina struts on stock springs and WOW what a difference. It was almost dangerous on curves if there was a bump mid turn with too much travel. Now it's planted and flat even on the soft setting. I run it on 3, because 4 was too firm with the family in the car and 2 was too soft, but 3 was just right. I'm craving porridge now.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:48 AM

Wow,It's alive!!! Nice way to bring the dead back. I must say it's helpful.... got me thinking about this setup. THANKS!
Old 11-24-2008, 05:43 PM