5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Opinion on catback or rear-section

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 03:52 PM

Opinion on catback or rear-section

The added power from the headers is adequate enough for me, I thought of getting a cheaper rear-section from frankencar just for looks. Would it be worth paying the extra and just getting an entire cat-back exhaust?
Old 01-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Your choices for rear sections are FrankenCar, Cattman, and HKS. All three are dual tips.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:52 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by MyownNismo
Your choices for rear sections are FrankenCar, Cattman, and HKS. All three are dual tips.
HKS being the loudest of them all
Old 01-20-2005, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the input guys, i'm familiar with these manufactuers, but let me reiterate my question. I'd like to know whether installing a cat-back system going to provide enough additional power to make it worth my money to spend? I ask this because from i've gathered on the .org, the 5.5 gen exhaust is already less restrictive, therefore if I already have headers installed it will be unecessary to add a cat-back system. However, if the cat-back system will amplify the extracted power from the headers, then I will consider buying the entire cat-back instead of just a rear section for aesthetic purposes.

As much as I would love to fork out dough for an appealing set of cattman headers and cat-back exhaust I'm just being thrify (stingy, cheap or frugal if you want to be a d!ck about it ) with purchases.

FYI i've tried searching for this subject but didn't find any useful material so whatever opinions you have to offer is good for me
Old 01-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Wat

Yes, it does add power, but moreso on the top end of the HP curve. It also adds something called NOISE. The best bet for you is to get a resonnated B pipe and stick with a stock muffler. That makes a decent amount of noise, but nothing like an aftermarked muffler (magnaflow, HKS, Greddy, etc..). There are members who I know have this setup, and their car performs very well and is quiet to boot.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:43 PM

noise isnt a big concern for me, although if i'm setting of car alarms with every passing in a parking lot then i'd will be a problem. anyways i saw this video http://www.vqpower.com/v2/downloads-file-147.html of an 02 max w/hs headers, budget something or other and a cattman rear section, the sound wasn't all that loud. unless of course the sound was dimished in the recording process.

regardless, i'm looking into a rear-section and should the cat-back turn out to be worthwhile then probably that.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NoMotive
regardless, i'm looking into a rear-section and should the cat-back turn out to be worthwhile then probably that.
I've been pretty impressed with my recently installed Frankencar cat-back... its 2.5" stainless piping and a nice non-droning muffler... I have a y-pipe on it and there's a nice rumble to it, although not overly obnoxious, but enough for people to know you're there... for the price, its def cheaper than the Cattman and maybe cheaper than getting just a b-pipe and custom piping to the stock muffler. I don't think the Frankencar muffler is a true "straight through" muffler like the GReddy, but I doubt that really makes more than 1-2hp difference... someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.... anyways, whatever it is... I like the Frankencar.... good quality and good price...

(I know, shameless shameless plug for em here... )
Old 01-20-2005, 08:59 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

How much was your Frankencar catback?
Old 01-21-2005, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ammi
How much was your Frankencar catback?
$440 shipped.... not sure how much it is now, but Steve was talking about a Frankencar GD in the near future.... don't quote me on that though, I just remember him posting that somewhere recently.... maybe in the General Discussions....
Old 01-21-2005, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I've been pretty impressed with my recently installed Frankencar cat-back... its 2.5" stainless piping and a nice non-droning muffler... I have a y-pipe on it and there's a nice rumble to it, although not overly obnoxious, but enough for people to know you're there... for the price, its def cheaper than the Cattman and maybe cheaper than getting just a b-pipe and custom piping to the stock muffler. I don't think the Frankencar muffler is a true "straight through" muffler like the GReddy, but I doubt that really makes more than 1-2hp difference... someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.... anyways, whatever it is... I like the Frankencar.... good quality and good price...

(I know, shameless shameless plug for em here... )

Frankencar is the quietest, stealthiest catback available!
Old 01-21-2005, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by 03blk6mt

Frankencar is the quietest, stealthiest catback available!
Seriosly... even with my y-pipe... you can barely tell... its great...
Old 01-21-2005, 06:03 AM

I cant stress to you enough, keep the stock muffler and just add some magnaflow tips.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by chris'smax
I cant stress to you enough, keep the stock muffler and just add some magnaflow tips.

I agree, I have a Cattman exhaust, and although much quietrer then Greddy and HKS, it still creates noise in the car that I don't want anymore. it was cool at first, but now is just old. even with a full catback, the performance isn't really THAT noticeable. I wish I didn't throw away my stock exhaust :-(
Old 01-21-2005, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
$440 shipped.... not sure how much it is now, but Steve was talking about a Frankencar GD in the near future.... don't quote me on that though, I just remember him posting that somewhere recently.... maybe in the General Discussions....
checked the website and the price for a catback has gone up to 490 with shipping. i would very much like to see a GD.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:55 AM
scopium

if i were u guys.. i would just get a b pipe and just get my stock mufferl polished some where and put on chrome tips...

Old 01-21-2005, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by scopium
if i were u guys.. i would just get a b pipe and just get my stock mufferl polished some where and put on chrome tips...
man, if only the stock muffler didn't look so beat up. also, how are the tips installed, are there screws to hold them in?
Old 01-21-2005, 01:18 PM

I got the Stillen Rear Section, Looks good< sounds Great with the y-Pipe but now i wish i had a full catback Instead( i'm thinking about getting the Greddy Evo 2 Now)
Old 01-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I also have the Stillen rear section and y-pipe, but yesterday I installed the racing street pipe from Custom Maxima. I love the sound of my car, even though the engine is much louder than the exhaust (SC'd).
Old 01-21-2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by chris'smax
+1

If you get rid of the expensive stock muffler for an overpriced $hitty aftermarket muffler you are a fool. You will no gain one single HP. IF anything you will lose power. The stock muffler is about the best you can buy.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:53 PM
Bigger than Jesus

Originally Posted by mdloops
+1

If you get rid of the expensive stock muffler for an overpriced $hitty aftermarket muffler you are a fool. You will no gain one single HP. IF anything you will lose power. The stock muffler is about the best you can buy.

I have to disgree with this statement. If you want to keep an OE look, Frankencar and Cattman aren't "overpriced $hitty" alternatives. Cattman is a little more $$ than Frankencar but it is by no means "$hitty". I had my Frankencar muffler put on yesterday and it looks and sounds great. Just as quiet as stock. I do agree with you about not gaining any hp from a muffler.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:59 PM

Hmm... this calls for some dyno evidence. Anyways I doubt anyone has graphs of just an aftermarket rear-section.

So from it sounds like even with a set of headers, having an aftermarket rear-section will make no additional power over the oem muffler.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:04 PM

Since the stock muffler is free flowing, you won't get any additional hp freed up by changing the muffler. However, if you change the piping from the Catback you will have in increase in hp because of better air flow.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Wat

Stock B and cat are free flowing....to a point
Stock muffler is free flowing.....to a point

The point that everyone seems to be missing here is that; sure stock is good, but aftermarket is better. However, this is only true if you have a FULLY modified exhaust (headers, high flow cat, B and rear section). Its all about exhaust velocity. Exhaust velocity = cylinder scavenging. Cyl scavenging = more air in/out = more power and tq.

If you change one but leave the others stock, the air will:

In a stock system with aftermarket rear section:

Flow perfectly until it reaches said mod and has room to expand and slow down. This, causing the air coming behind it to hit a "wall" of slower air and create pressure in the exhaust system. It makes no additional power.

Add a Y pipe to a stock system (3.5l only)

You gain exhaust velocity coming out of the precats only for it to slow down again once it hits the stock cat and Crimped B pipe. Minimal gains, at best.

Add a B pipe to a stock system

You gain exhaust velocity coming out of the stock Y for it to slow down again once it hits the stock rear section and maintains that velocity out the stock muffler. Again Minimal gains, at best.

Add both Y and B, but leave stock rear section and Cat (3.5 only)

You gain exhaust velocity coming out of the precats only for it to slow down again once it hits the stock cat. Then it will compress and spit out into the aftermarket B, and slow down again at the stock rear section and maintain that velocity out the stock muffler. Moderate gains

Same as above but with a high flow cat:

The difference is it wont slow down thru the cat, and will keep a decent velocity until it hits the stock rear section. Slightly better moderate gains.

Add both Y and B, aftermarket rear section and high flow Cat (3.5 only)

You gain exhaust velocity coming out of the precats and it will maintain that velocity until it exits the rear section and muffler. Substantial gains

Headers, High flow Cat, B and Aftermarket (larger diam) rear section and High flow muffler:

The exhaust will gain substantial amounts of velocity from the time it exits the head until it reaches the end of the primary. From there, the velocity will remain the same until it exits the new larger rear section and muffler. VERY Substantial gains in BOTH whp and wtq.

Now, as you can see; the more you add to the exhaust, the better the exhaust velocity, the more power it makes.