5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

VQ30 or VQ35?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 05:17 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by spiromax
. That's like having a nice gun that you're allowed to fire at the firing range or on a hunting trip. You're just not supposed to take it out in public and start shooting people on the sidewalk.
better analogy!
Old 01-29-2005, 05:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by spiromax
Lol. The gun analogy is actually pretty good. Having a modded car is like having a nice, loaded gun. The forum moderators aren't trying to tell you to have a nice car that you can never race. They're saying that you can have a nice car that you should race, just NOT ON THE STREET. That's like having a nice gun that you're allowed to fire at the firing range or on a hunting trip. You're just not supposed to take it out in public and start shooting people on the sidewalk.

I enjoy guns, and I enjoy cars. I just try to be responsible with both.

Nicely put, Spiro...
Old 01-29-2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by mjg
every vette in town, huh?

Damn ricer mentality. Give me a break.I Can turbo my lawnmower and still beat your turbo maxima.

i believe someone on this board is in the process of re-doing his turbo on his 00 GLE and he is looking for roughly 450hp...

the only vette i know of with 500hp has yet to be released....(and thats the new ZO6)

unless you send it to Lingenfelter... and i dont know anyone with one of them... since most sit in garages never used, or rarely see a track.

sorry, i dont have a "ricer mentality", i am currently rebuilding an 82' Trans Am to ORIGINAL condition, i have never worked on or sat in any "ricer car".

and if turbo charging a car is considered "ricey" you might want to talk to Lingenfelter (wait he is dead...) and John Hennesy (both make the fastest cars on the road), and both turbo charge their cars....

by the way, the Lingenfelter tuned cars i believe are not even considered Vettes anymore... Lingenfelter is considered a manufacturer, the same way Saleen Stangs are not considered Ford Mustangs anymore and the same way Henessy's Venoms are not considered Vipers anymore.

if you want we can have a shoot-off, you turbo charge your lawnmower and i will turbo charge my max... we can even get ricey and race for pink-slips( we will have to make one for your lawnmower)
Old 01-29-2005, 07:56 PM
BP
Donating Maxima.org Member

lol...classic 3.0L vs 3.5L thread.

for basic bolt ons the 3.5L is the way to go. period.

for anything more than basic mods (FI, NOS, etc) take your pick, either engine will achieve what the driver is looking for.

for reliability do your own research on the 5th gen forum and you'll see that stock for stock the 3.5L has fewer problems than the 3.0L. once you start modding the car anything can happen. there are some 3.0L guys that will throw scare stories out there about the 3.5L but that's baseless just envy. there are more than a couple high mileage 3.5L with little to no problems. look for yourself.

the large percentage of people maxima enthusiasts will not modify their car beyond the basic bolt ons. if you're part of the 5% that may go beyond basic bolt ons then you have a tougher deciscion. look for lower mileage and get the important TSBs done and you'll be happy with any year 5th gen.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:30 PM
retired moderator

This thread ranks right up there for lameness with the "which is better, leather seats or cloth seats?"

These threads always boil down to everyone talking trash
The VQ30 guys talk about how we have available S/C, T/C
The VQ35 guys brag about 'all motor' and "someday there will be SC for the 3.5 too!"

Well guess what, someday I'll have a transporter beam and I can just zap myself to work and not even bother with driving

The bottom line is this:
WITH ENOUGH MONEY, INGENUITY, MECHANICAL KNOW-HOW, AND RESOURCES YOU CAN DO ANYTHING TO ANY ENGINE. That's right, boys and girls. If you want to invest thousands and thousands of bucks, you can make a turbo 3.5, an all-wheel-drive maxima, or have a f-ing jet engine in your trunk that gives you 2000 horsepower........

but realistically only a small fraction of those here are going to invest the huge amounts of money necessary to put up 350, 400, 500 horsepower so let's just stick with basic discussion of the engine itself, its plusses and minuses, and the availability of basic mods like intake, headers, upd, etc etc etc...
Old 01-29-2005, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
This thread ranks right up there for lameness with the "which is better, leather seats or cloth seats?"

These threads always boil down to everyone talking trash
The VQ30 guys talk about how we have available S/C, T/C
The VQ35 guys brag about 'all motor' and "someday there will be SC for the 3.5 too!"

Well guess what, someday I'll have a transporter beam and I can just zap myself to work and not even bother with driving

The bottom line is this:
WITH ENOUGH MONEY, INGENUITY, MECHANICAL KNOW-HOW, AND RESOURCES YOU CAN DO ANYTHING TO ANY ENGINE. That's right, boys and girls. If you want to invest thousands and thousands of bucks, you can make a turbo 3.5, an all-wheel-drive maxima, or have a f-ing jet engine in your trunk that gives you 2000 horsepower........

but realistically only a small fraction of those here are going to invest the huge amounts of money necessary to put up 350, 400, 500 horsepower so let's just stick with basic discussion of the engine itself, its plusses and minuses, and the availability of basic mods like intake, headers, upd, etc etc etc...
Finally, I's startin to miss da preachin...
Old 01-29-2005, 08:45 PM

i would have naver mantioned force induction... however the guy that started the thread mentioned a S/C... soooo he is obviously interested in it.

i dont want him to think that just because he buys a 5.5 gen that he cannot attach some boost to it...
Old 01-30-2005, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Never liked the 4th gen, sorry. I was going from a 00 Audi S4 that I had (and blew up) to a Maxima, and performance wise the Maxima was faster on the highway than the S4. I could never live with the 4th gen interior/dash layout. Opinions are like azz holes, every one has one.

3.0 5th gen maxima faster than an s4???
Old 01-30-2005, 08:38 AM
drag racing is for wussies

Curb weight of 3600lbs 250HP 6spd with AWD drive train that saps alot of power... I didn't say Max is faster off the line, but try racing a S4 from 70MPH on and you will see what I mean. I tried to make a video with my friends S4 vs my Max and he don't wanna see his car online getting whopped by a Max. S4s only dyno 190-205 at the wheels and don't have the top end power Maxima has. Now chipped, exhaust and K04 turbos is a diff story, stock for stock Maxima is faster from a roll.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:41 AM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

Originally Posted by Kevin
3.0 5th gen maxima faster than an s4???
He's talking about HIS 3.0 5th gen max. I'm assuming you don't know Mike very well.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:51 AM

Curb weight of 3600lbs 250HP 6spd with AWD drive train that saps alot of power... I didn't say Max is faster off the line, but try racing a S4 from 70MPH on and you will see what I mean. I tried to make a video with my friends S4 vs my Max and he don't wanna see his car online getting whopped by a Max. S4s only dyno 190-205 at the wheels and don't have the top end power Maxima has. Now chipped, exhaust and K04 turbos is a diff story, stock for stock Maxima is faster from a roll.
an integra is faster than a wrx from a roll, but the rex is still considered the faster car. not talkin ****, you owned one, i've only driven my friend's sister's bf's s4 6spd ONCE. it was crazy though i liked it a lot, took the onramps like nothing. 190-205 is quite a disappointment though, but i guess they do have mad drivetrain loss
Old 01-30-2005, 12:24 PM

if waht you say is true, not bad , considering the price points of both cars. I'd definately love to see a vid of our pal getting blasted. I'd have to see it to beleive it. please post when if you ever get it
Old 01-30-2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by aliti19
He's talking about HIS 3.0 5th gen max. I'm assuming you don't know Mike very well.
his repsonse to me said "stock for stock"
Old 01-30-2005, 12:27 PM

with all this said, can a 3.0L 5th gen max take on a WRX from a roll? and i hope that's a GSR or type R integra, otherwise i'm dissapointed in WRX.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:31 PM

i forgot to say ITR sorry, i don't think a gs-r could beat it, i'm sure it could keep up no problem though
Old 01-30-2005, 12:56 PM
drag racing is for wussies

automatic 3.0L will not beat a WRX, 5spd on the other hand will whopp on a WRX, and even auto 3.5Ls will NOT beat a 5spd DE-K.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Banned

besides the "my exhaust pipe is bigger than your's" discussions: I can vouch for both the 3.5 and the 3.0 in durability. Back in the day I owned an '87 max w/ the 3.0 that had 250k on it when the front end met a deer. It would probably still be running today if my mom hadn't been driving it! On my '03 SE, I just rolled over a 100k and still have no problems. Both are good, tough engines, however, stock, the numbers don't lie. 255 hp vs 227 (AE). You do the math.