5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ABS bypass possible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 12:29 PM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

ABS bypass possible?

Ok...before everyone jumps in and says doing that is unsafe blah blah blah... i am going to make a disclaimer...this is not safe. now, anyone know how to do it without messing up the braking system. i am tired of my abs goin off and not being able to downshift. snow covered roads are slippery enough with out having something else trying to control my brakes...anyone believe the abs helps you STOP better in snow...try yankin the ebrake and see how much faster you stop. abs is great to allow you to have control while braking and turning, but i have never been a fan nor will i be, so someone please help me with this!
Old 01-29-2005, 12:30 PM
It's chrome alright...

Ibtl.

____________-
Old 01-29-2005, 01:34 PM
I Miss My Maxima

Disconnecting the wheel speed sensors might be a good place to start.

..and why would this post be locked, it seems like a legit question to me? If he goes out and kills himself, it's not on any of us.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by IWNTMORHP!!
Ok...before everyone jumps in and says doing that is unsafe blah blah blah... i am going to make a disclaimer...this is not safe. now, anyone know how to do it without messing up the braking system. i am tired of my abs goin off and not being able to downshift. snow covered roads are slippery enough with out having something else trying to control my brakes...anyone believe the abs helps you STOP better in snow...try yankin the ebrake and see how much faster you stop. abs is great to allow you to have control while braking and turning, but i have never been a fan nor will i be, so someone please help me with this!
i know EXACTLY what you are talking about. In have had a number of instances where i almost got killed my my car BECAUSE OF ABS. I too wish maxima came without ABS or at least a switch similar to traction control. some people like tractions control but other hate it, well in this case, hate ABS. If there's a way to turn it off, i'd do it in a sec. Also, would removing an ABS fuse help?
Old 01-29-2005, 02:32 PM

ABS is designed to compensate for human error. If you are having problems stopping in the snow, you are probably driving faster than you should be. I grew up driving cars without ABS and had very few problems driving in snow in Chicago and even Moscow, Russia. You have to learn the limitations of your car, tires and yourself and you will be able to live with ABS.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:41 PM

i had a similiar issue with my old subaru rs. the abs would activate to early and cause you to slide longer. this is typicle on some cars due to them being sensitve and also lowered cars seem to have this problem more. i installed a switch from the fuse box (abs). what i did was i put a blown fuse then i soldered 2 wires from each of the top test portins of the fuse and added another fuse with a switch. when there was snow i would flick the switch and the abs light would come on. no more abs. when it was nice i went back to abs. the abs is great in the dry or rain. but in snow and ice sometimes it hurts. also i turned it off when i auto-xed the car. i did that cause when i dug the car into a tight corner the abs would kick on when i squeezed the binders to swing the car. i hated that. hope this helps and defintely dont ride like this all the time. if your to lazy to do a switch just pull the fuse or pull a sensor from any wheel that will turn it off.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:01 PM
drag racing is for wussies

you might be able to remove the fuse and deactivate the ABS system, problem with that is- speedo gets its signals from the ABS system. Your speedo might not work when you remove the ABS fuse out of the fuse panel. Try it and see what happens. I find ABS great in my car, especially with good tires like Blizzaks it stops like a **** in the snow.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:10 PM

very true. i just know about my subaru doing that. was kinda scary at times. agin test it out and see what happens
Old 01-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Can't believe it took 5 replies til someone finally gave him the right answer. Good job Mike.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:41 PM

One of the ABS sensor is f*cked up on my max, so the ABS no longer kick-in and I really like the way it is now, so I have no intention to fix it. Disconnect one of the sensor but you'll have the ABS, TCS and SLIP Lights on all the time.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:28 PM

as stated earlier try pulling the ABS fuse and see if that works. that what i did on my 4th gen.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:21 AM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

thanks guys...i know most ppl will disagree about the abs thing...i don't deny that on dry/wet roads its a great safety feature, but on snow and ice...particularly comming to a stop sign on a down slope, it is not my favorite feature. also as mentioned, autocrossing-i have done it a few times, and know the situation. i have been driving in snow since i was 12...i lived on a lake growing up, and would take our family cars out once the lake had substantial ice thickness. most of you have never had the opportunity to learn a car's performance envelope on ice, without the danger of crashing...some have. my wife thinks it is stupid to "play" in a parking lot or out on the lake, when in reality, i am learning how the car reacts in certain situations. you think collin mccray was born that good? no he practiced in all different situations. i make it a point to practice my reaction/driving skills in large open parking lots, or if i am back in wisconsin, frozen lakes. now, there are some cases when abs kicks in that it is warranted, but almost every day when i leave my house, i have an issue with the abs on the snowy departure down the street...at any speed. the only thing that stops me is pulling the ebrake. so, this is why i am looking for an override solution. thank you again to those that answered my question. that is why we're all here right? to learn about our cars and share ideas? i will try these ideas and let everyone know what worked. off to experiment!