5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

P0455- how do I fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

P0455- how do I fix this?

Hi. My 2002 maxima gle has 33000 miles on it, but it passed the warranty last September. Now service engine light is one and I got the DTC P0455, which is EVAP Control System Gross Leak. Should I go to a nissan dealer immediately?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Need A Light?

no...try resetting the ecu....usually this 0455 is a ghost code...i've gotten it a few times before....just tighten the gas cap real tight....reset the ecu and see if it comes back....it most likely won't but if it does, then your out of luck n must have the dealers check it out for u....
Old 01-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks. I had Pep Boys look at it and they said the same thing and they tightened the gas cap. But when I started the car, the check engine light was on again. Seems I am out of luck.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by econfan
Thanks. I had Pep Boys look at it and they said the same thing and they tightened the gas cap. But when I started the car, the check engine light was on again. Seems I am out of luck.
Unless you reset the ecu the code will persist for a while. I think it takes about 5 trips to disappear if it is really a ghost code.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I went out for another run. At the beginning the light was still on. But after five minutes or so it went off. I hope it will not return.

BTW, I hit one of those high "bumps" in a garage in downtown Minneapolis. It is not really a bump, but it is badly designed to be position right after a turn. It is about 1 foot high. So it hit the right side of the underbody. I took a look carefully and did not see any damage. But this time the code P0455 made me nervous, since last time I could have damaged one of those hoses and it gave me a leak in the EVAP system.

What do you guys think? Are those hoses located in the right side of underbody?

Thanks for the comments from steve88 and jkayca.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:55 PM
Need A Light?

econfan - so your code is gone as of right now right? thats good let your car run like that for a few weeks and see if it comes back....and you let pepboys use the OBDII scanner right? and u told them to reset the ecu right? just checking cuz alot of workers at those chain stores (pepboys, autozone) are very stupid n don't know crap....

you know what....i had exactly the same problem as u when my 0455 came on....i was on the freeway and hit a bumpy area and that made my car jump up pretty high....when i landed the SES light came on....so i pulled over and did the self diagnosis test (i memorized the procedure)....and i just resetted the ecu manually and poof...the SES light went away....oh yeah before i resetted the ecu i pulled the blinks and it counted 0455 as well...it seems as tho this is a very common "ghost code"....
Old 01-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi Steve88. I went there and one of pepboy boys helped me and he is pretty nice. I did not see the process but he said he tightened the gas cap and now the light was off. So I paid $20.95 and went home. But the light was on again pretty soon. Now after driving for a while on highway, it went off again. I just tried and it is not on. So I hope it will not come back again. But I do not know how to reset the ecu and I am not sure whether pepboys have done that for me. Do I need a reset tool for that?
Old 01-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Need A Light?

econfan - you don't need a tool to reset the ecu...u just have to do this process...

ECU Resetting Procedures

Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON.
A stop watch or an analog clock with a second’s needle will be useful.

Operations Procedures

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 second.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.

If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.

i thought this procedure was a PITA to do.....since i use to own a 4th gen maxima and all u had to do was go under and turn the screws...none of that timing is critical stuff....but yeah u might not get it the first few times...it actually took me many tries until i finally got it....and today it is second nature to me....i memorized all the steps and don't even have to use a stop watch anymore.....
Old 01-31-2005, 09:54 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

You probably need to replace the Purge Control Solenoid:

Here's where it's located:

If you're any good with a multimeter, I can give you a few checks to see if it's the harness or the solenoid.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:14 AM
Wat

Its a ghost code, ive gotten it at least 15 times. I had it checked the first few times, and the solenoid replaced....no difference. It really only shows up when its very cold, or ive been at a track day (or both ).
Old 01-31-2005, 10:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks a lot, guys. It's really helpful. SES light has not been on again.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:45 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Looks like your gas cap could be the cause also.

You might try getting a new one or at least make sure your current one isn't cracked or not seated properly.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:57 AM

I know this thread is very old, but I have the same code, just days after I hit a bump too... I think it may have torn a hose/valve... My mechanic checked it out yesterday and thought it could have been the solenoid or w/e, who knows. Other than that, he said the underbody looked fine! And I know it's not the gas cap becuase I always click it like 5 times, and its OEM. So it has to be the gross leak, in the evap.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:44 PM

my mechanic told me he thinks its the solenoid but is going to ask a nissan mechanic to make sure... anyone else know anything about this?