5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 02:19 PM
XGaSpAcHo

Extended Warranty

My Max is coming up on 36,000 miles soon (I'm at 32,000 approximately right now) and I wanted to look into getting an extended warranty through Nissan. Wanted to know what you guys thought about it. Is it worth it? Where do I go to get it? How much does it cost? Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Old 02-01-2005, 02:47 PM

In my case, it has payed for itself. Alternator, 2 oxygen sensors, Sunroof motor, crank pulley with 2 belts.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so has mine....new transmission, ignition coils, wheel bearing and about 13 days of car rentals.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:04 PM

wow...hassle free, i'm shock....
Old 02-01-2005, 03:08 PM

that Decepticon/transformer logo is spinning too fast for me to concentrate! haha

i got it just cuz of the tranny issues that the car *could* and the little things that i know the car has that could go wrong. after 36K, if any of the toys go bad, you have to pay, so that might be worth considering. i got one for 100K miles, i cant remember what i paid tho.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

piece of mind... my .02
Old 02-01-2005, 05:35 PM
QMaxed03

yes mine also payed for it, i got a few new switches , new down pipe, new cat, o2 sensors about to get a new tranny and might need a headgasket not sure but its paid off, im waitign for my warrenty to end so all hell can break loose and i can start to mod.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:25 PM
XGaSpAcHo

yeah that's what i've been hearing that it's really worth getting it. but how did you guys go about getting it and if you don't mind me asking -- how much did you pay for it? thanks.

Old 02-02-2005, 04:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2nd party warranty

i would look into getting an extended warranty through another company. that way you don't need to go to a nissan dealer for work.
you can go to any ASE certified shop and have the work done there without the hassle. i just recently had my MAF replaced by a non-nissan shop, and he didn't even blink at the fact i put a K&N filter in. a dealer might have hemmed and hawed and refused to cover it because it wasn't stock.
also with a non nissan mechanic, they will overlook things like y-pipes intakes and just fix the problem.
just my opinion, but i've always had better luck going 3rd party warranty.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:50 AM

I purchased the extended at time of purchasing the car, which had just under 32k. Id say just go to any Nissan dealership and they should be able to extend your current warrenty. The price was pretty hefty though,...$1350.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:36 AM

I have 51k miles on my car, can I still buy an extended warranty? And if it's aftermarket, what's a good name in warranties?
Old 02-02-2005, 06:52 AM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by Mizike
I purchased the extended at time of purchasing the car, which had just under 32k. Id say just go to any Nissan dealership and they should be able to extend your current warrenty. The price was pretty hefty though,...$1350.
how long a period did that $1350 cover you for and was it the same bumper to bumper as the first 36,000?

Old 02-02-2005, 06:53 AM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by blu02
i would look into getting an extended warranty through another company. that way you don't need to go to a nissan dealer for work.
you can go to any ASE certified shop and have the work done there without the hassle. i just recently had my MAF replaced by a non-nissan shop, and he didn't even blink at the fact i put a K&N filter in. a dealer might have hemmed and hawed and refused to cover it because it wasn't stock.
also with a non nissan mechanic, they will overlook things like y-pipes intakes and just fix the problem.
just my opinion, but i've always had better luck going 3rd party warranty.
you're probably right but how do i know i can trust a third party to pay for the repairs and not just screw me over. what company did you get your warranty through? what kinda coverage did you get? and if you don't mind me asking -- how much did you pay?

Old 02-02-2005, 06:55 AM

bought mine through Interstate Star Auto.. they are the best...

it has paid it self off, i can goto ANY shop i want (my brothers!!)

no questions asked they just fix it!

mine cost something like $1100 for the "platnum plan" and it covers just about everything other than fluids, brakes and exhaust. with a $50 deductable
Old 02-02-2005, 07:09 AM

Just bought my 02 Max, 50000 miles. Through Nissan is was $1500 to cover to 84000 miles, bumper to bumper with exceptions.

My Credit Union was $1800, had to get a loan thru them to get coverage.

3rd Party, through Warranty Direct was $1800. Guy named Barry keeps calling me, he said that once it hits 60000 miles they wouldn't offer a program, so I need to decide before then.

Every program had two tiers of coverage, with neither tier covering all the stuff. Basically you will need the second tier to cover the MAF, so that's the only one I considered, think it's called Platinum or something.

But I can do a lot of repairs on my own for $1500.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:12 AM
XGaSpAcHo

and do i need to go to my dealership or is there a number i need to call in order to get the extended warranty through nissan?

Old 02-02-2005, 08:01 AM

EMRP or majorguard were the two companies that my wife told me about. (she is a manager for a used car lot) i'll find out more info tonight.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:12 AM
XGaSpAcHo

EMRP or majorguard were the two companies that my wife told me about. (she is a manager for a used car lot) i'll find out more info tonight.
sweet! thanks dude. i think in the end i'll probably end up going with nissan though since i'd trust them more than any of these other companies whose names i'm hearing for the first time. unless i see a lot of praise for a specific one or they give me a much better deal than nissan.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:47 AM

Nissan warranties are a B***h. you have to goto the dealer, they never want to replace anything.... the dealer does not even want to deal with Nissan... because if nissan decides the part was ok, the dealer has to eat the cost, so they are hesitant to do the work. Interstate Star Auto is great, as long as a mechanic says its bad... replace it!
Old 02-02-2005, 09:02 AM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Nissan warranties are a B***h. you have to goto the dealer, they never want to replace anything.... the dealer does not even want to deal with Nissan... because if nissan decides the part was ok, the dealer has to eat the cost, so they are hesitant to do the work. Interstate Star Auto is great, as long as a mechanic says its bad... replace it!
do these people have a website or a phone number i can reach them at?

Old 02-02-2005, 09:08 AM

yeah, almost forgot, i had 2 trannies replaced on my last max, the first one went through nissan, it was an all around cluster f&*k. they gave me a reconditioned tranny that sucked. within a month i needed another one, so i found out with the 3rd party warranty i could go anywhere. i got a NEW tranny put on without any of the BS that i went through with nissan. avoid the dealer warranty, i don't know about you, but all the dealers around here suck. they all want to screw you when it comes to fixing their own product.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:11 AM
XGaSpAcHo

yeah, almost forgot, i had 2 trannies replaced on my last max, the first one went through nissan, it was an all around cluster f&*k. they gave me a reconditioned tranny that sucked. within a month i needed another one, so i found out with the 3rd party warranty i could go anywhere. i got a NEW tranny put on without any of the BS that i went through with nissan. avoid the dealer warranty, i don't know about you, but all the dealers around here suck. they all want to screw you when it comes to fixing their own product.
and what third party was that?

also, do you have to take your car in so they can check it out before they give you the warranty?

Old 02-02-2005, 10:11 AM

Heres what I was told when I purchased the extended warrenty. The original bumper to bumper warrenty (100% coverage) is valid for 3yr/36k. Then the powertrain warrenty (60%) is valid for 5yr/60k. Both from original purchase date. An extended warrenty, depending on which one you choose would return the coverage back to 100% valid up to 100k miles. I was told that I could only extend my warrenty throught Nissan as long as I was under 35k or 1 month prior to the expiration of the original warrenty. I thought about purchasing an a 3rd party warrenty, but with my luck, I was thinking that it would have been more of a hassle than I wanted. At any rate, seeing how much a few of you all paid for the 3rd party warrenty, I really didnt pay much more for my Nissan warrenty. Oh yeah, I have a $50 deductible, which seems reasonable, along with rentals when my car is in the shop. Hope this helps...
Old 02-02-2005, 10:23 AM
is invisible

Is the Nissan warranty you're looking to purchase powertrain or comprehensive?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:28 AM

I have an EW up to 100k/6 yrs... got it when I got the car brand new... never used it...

After all the mods I've done.... it'll be a pain if I have to take it in for any such repairs...
Old 02-02-2005, 11:01 AM

I have an EW as well. As I learned later the sale of the EW was just another dealer add on to make money. I cannot remember how much extra it was, I believe 1600+. It's 100,000/7yr through CNA National. This company I believe only works THROUGH dealers.

Already used it for a pulley, and half the parts were covered so i was thrilled, belts werent. After the repair, I got a comment card in the mail, asking how the service was. I would highly recommend it. Although it is for "peice of mind", cars can and do fail, and these are there for when they do.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:23 AM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by CoolMax
Is the Nissan warranty you're looking to purchase powertrain or comprehensive?
i honestly couldn't tell you since i havent looked that far into it. what's comprehensive?

Old 02-02-2005, 11:42 AM

it is a great idea to get the ext warranty - i purchased my ext warranty when i had 56k on my ae max- but before the warranty the only 2 repairs i had done were the rear o2 sensors and the maf meter(not the actual sensor) - and this just happened recently around 55k - it was not covered under under my 5yr/60k so i had to pay out of pocket for the repairs and then a week later i bought the warranty (stupid mistake on my part for waiting to purchase warranty, i figured damn this car has not given me any problems is it worth the warranty, but hell yeah it is) imo get the warranty - and if the dealer attempts to give you a problem that they are not covering under warranty for whatever repairs you bring it in for - just call nissan consumer affairs to verify or report them if you have to 1-800-nissan1 good luck
Old 02-02-2005, 11:47 AM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by BLUEMAX01SE
it is a great idea to get the ext warranty - i purchased my ext warranty when i had 56k on my ae max- but before the warranty the only 2 repairs i had done were the rear o2 sensors and the maf meter(not the actual sensor) - and this just happened recently around 55k - it was not covered under under my 5yr/60k so i had to pay out of pocket for the repairs and then a week later i bought the warranty (stupid mistake on my part for waiting to purchase warranty, i figured damn this car has not given me any problems is it worth the warranty, but hell yeah it is) imo get the warranty - and if the dealer attempts to give you a problem that they are not covering under warranty for whatever repairs you bring it in for - just call nissan consumer affairs to verify or report them if you have to 1-800-nissan1 good luck
hey thanks for the number dude. i got something i need to talk to those nice folks over at nissan about. i'm definitely getting the warrantly i'm just trying to figure out who to go through. so far it looks like 3rd party is the way to go.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:11 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by XGaSpAcHo
i honestly couldn't tell you since i havent looked that far into it. what's comprehensive?
Bumper-to-bumper.

Comparison tool
Old 02-02-2005, 12:19 PM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by CoolMax
Bumper-to-bumper.

Comparison tool
that's pretty interesting. so i guess they do check your car out before they give it to you and honda's extended warranty kills nissan's. but i'm probably gonna go with a third party now. i'd like to get comprehensive so long as it's not too much more than powertrain.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by BLUEMAX01SE
What are the terms, what's the company, and how much did it cost you? (if you don't mind me asking)
Old 02-02-2005, 04:24 PM

Hi The BigDu et al, i am also interested in getting an extended warranty...let me know what you come up with...i have a 2002 SE with 45K, and would want to get it before 50K.

best - Noela
Old 02-02-2005, 04:50 PM

I paid 1400$ (Canadian) for a 6/160KM, bumper to bumper.

I have not hear good things about 3rd party warranties, but there might be better one out there.

I have the Nissan warranty, bout it with the car so it's financed, costs more in the long run, but no one time pay out.

I have a great dealer (not the one that I bought the car from), and have no problems getting work done. Hell, I was in there recently for a check engine. In at 8:00 (that's their starting time). They call me back at 8:30, while I was having breakfast across the street, "Sir your car is ready, we changed the O2 sensor under warranty." They did the same thing for my alternator.

With all the gagdets, do-dads, thing-a-ma-bobs and do-hickeys they put in cars today I would never buy a new car without a warranty, unless it was a stripper. Why do you think they "give" us all this stuff for "free". They know that 1 in 50 will be back in 3-5 years for 1000$ of work, guaranteed revenue.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:02 AM

Interstate Star Auto's # is ... 1-800-942-0400

if i remeber correctly thier webpage is mostly useless unless you have a warranty... you can log on and see what has been done to your car and all that stuff, great company.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:40 AM
XGaSpAcHo

Interstate Star Auto's # is ... 1-800-942-0400

if i remeber correctly thier webpage is mostly useless unless you have a warranty... you can log on and see what has been done to your car and all that stuff, great company.
thanks dude. do you remember what the URL for the site was anyway? i'd like to check it out.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:56 AM

Inter State Webpage
Old 02-03-2005, 07:59 AM

opps, i have the "diamond" coverage
Old 02-03-2005, 08:05 AM
XGaSpAcHo

thanks.

so if lets say i need to have something replaced. i need to first have them approve it then go have the repairs done and send them the receipt so that they can reimburse me. do i have that right?

Old 02-03-2005, 08:12 AM

no, the repair shop calls them, tells them what is going on and and they say... yes or no. they have never said no, as long as the repair shop says it is broken they say ok.

then you pay the repair shop your $50 deductable and the repair shop bills Interstate the remaining balance.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty