5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Police: It finally happened

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

Police: It finally happened

In a fitting end to my siesta in Oklahoma I went out tonight, the day before I leave this bible-belt hell hole, and was quickly pulled over for following too closely and improper equipment. The improper equipment was having just the fogs on. Now I know it may be illegal in some states but I have never ever heard of anyone getting pulled over for that.
Some yanko in front of me saw the cop sitting under an overpass and slowed from 72 to 60 mph, so naturally I got closer to him. But the posted speed was 70. Who slows to 10 under? Anyway, I just got a written warning and a thank you for wearing my sealtbelt. However, this is the first recorded time I have seen someone get hassled for fogs.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah, ive never really heard of anyone getting **** for that either, but i guess the right cop at the right time, ya know. good thing you got off with a warning tho, i know youd be pissed if u got an actual ticket for that.

on a smilar note, i was actually told by an officer that my hyper white polar g bulbs in my euro clear corners on my accord were "impersonating an officer" because they lit up blue. when i corrected him and said but sir, see, they flash white, he got me out of my car, asked me what color the bulb was, i said blue. then he pointed to his flashers, asked me the color of those. when i said blue, he said "exactly, come through here again, and we will impound the car"

this was in Tewksbury NJ, right under the route 78 overpass. i found another way to my girls house after that.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:43 PM

oh don't feel bad i once got pulled over for having fog lights on , it was a suburb right outside of chicago,il --- orland park,il- cop had nothing better to do than to just harass an innocent driver! he was searching around outside the whole car to see what else he can find! lame *** cops! at that time i had a lug nut missing too and i even asked him out of curiousity will i get a ticket for missing a lug nut? cause if so he can lug my nuts on over to the police station and we can go over everything there! it's only cause my cousin is a cook county sherrif from il and i give his business cards to the smartass cops that try to pull people over for nothin, absolutely nothin! so just be careful with the fogs cause yes there are roody pooh candy *** cops who have nothing better to do than pull someone over for foglights!
Old 02-01-2005, 04:45 PM

my freinds has an IS300 and he has figured out how to run with his fogs only also. well he got pulled over for making a right on red after 4 pm.. Yes down here we have time limits when we can turn. but he also got written up for having his fogs only
Old 02-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Epacy
bible-belt hell hole
be careful..thats a big area and a bunch of people to offend. "bible belt" had nothing to do with you getting pulled over. and if its such a "hell hole" then why were you there?
stay out of my state
Old 02-01-2005, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
be careful..thats a big area and a bunch of people to offend. "bible belt" had nothing to do with you getting pulled over. and if its such a "hell hole" then why were you there?
stay out of my state

I know "bible-belt" had nothing to do with me getting pulled over. I didn't even hint towards that. That is something you came up with.
I lived in Oklahoma for about 15 years. My dad is there. So that is why I was there. Hope that quelches your misguided fire.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Bigger than Jesus

I just got pulled over for the same thing on Saturday night. Who would've thought it's illegal to use the lights on your car? I also got a warning for the fogs but got nailed for illegal tint to the tune of $237.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:52 PM

usually its okay to have the fogs on before sunset... I dont know why they would pull you over... I dont think bible belt should offend anyone, im from there and I am not offended...
Old 02-01-2005, 06:50 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by KCMC582
on a smilar note, i was actually told by an officer that my hyper white polar g bulbs in my euro clear corners on my accord were "impersonating an officer" because they lit up blue. when i corrected him and said but sir, see, they flash white, he got me out of my car, asked me what color the bulb was, i said blue. then he pointed to his flashers, asked me the color of those. when i said blue, he said "exactly, come through here again, and we will impound the car"

this was in Tewksbury NJ, right under the route 78 overpass. i found another way to my girls house after that.
It's not just where you live. Only cops can have blue lights.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:52 PM
retired moderator

Just out of curiosity...why are you guys rolling on the highway at night with just fogs? Our fogs provide absolutely NO candlepower to speak of, and don't light up ****....I know its fashionable to roll to a meet or whatever with just the fogs, but when you're on the highway at night (esp. in the middle of nowhere like Oklahoma - do they even have streetlights there Jason?)....wouldn't you want maximum visibility for you and other drivers, or is looking cool more important than safety?
Old 02-01-2005, 07:05 PM

looking cool!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 07:09 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by I30swimmer
looking cool!!!!!!
for some reason, I bet that will be the more popular response here to that rhetorical question
Old 02-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by irish44j
Just out of curiosity...why are you guys rolling on the highway at night with just fogs? Our fogs provide absolutely NO candlepower to speak of, and don't light up ****....I know its fashionable to roll to a meet or whatever with just the fogs, but when you're on the highway at night (esp. in the middle of nowhere like Oklahoma - do they even have streetlights there Jason?)....wouldn't you want maximum visibility for you and other drivers, or is looking cool more important than safety?
Old 02-01-2005, 07:24 PM

i drive like that all the time and when im not most people think i have my highbeems on and flash me cuz of the hid's
Old 02-01-2005, 07:24 PM

Well here is another answer to your rhetorical question.

It wasn't pitch black, and I doubt I could see with just these fogs at night. It was late afternoon and overcast.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:25 PM

those fogs put out absolutely NO light, and they stand out to other drivers...the only time i do this is in cloudy conditions (only cloudy, no rain or fog, etc.) or just in broad daylight...looking cool is definitely not as important as our safety...
Old 02-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Cletus

do they even have streetlights there Jason?
they just started installing those.
you know what they have had for a long time...parking meters. they were invented and used for the first time in Oklahoma City
Old 02-01-2005, 07:49 PM
retired moderator

Well here is another answer to your rhetorical question.

It wasn't pitch black, and I doubt I could see with just these fogs at night. It was late afternoon and overcast.
you said
I went out tonight
tonight /= late afternoon

your original post inferred you were driving in the dark.....hence my question.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by KCMC582
yeah, ive never really heard of anyone getting **** for that either, but i guess the right cop at the right time, ya know. good thing you got off with a warning tho, i know youd be pissed if u got an actual ticket for that.

Yeah, it sucks that cops give you **** about the color of your lights even if they light up a color thats legal. Honestly, they could just pull over the guy that's speeding excessively or tailgating...sucks that cops tend to pull over people in modded cars...
Old 02-01-2005, 08:32 PM
retired moderator

although I think we all need to face that fact that most of us have something illegal on our cars

y-pipe (illegal emissions)
clear corners (or smoked corners)
test pipes
illegal suspension
illegal tint
etc
etc

so I guess we shouln't be surprised when we get pulled over....I know I won't be surprised if I ever get pulled for the smoked corners (though I did fail state inspection becuase of them)...
Old 02-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Reported

dont draw attention to the clear corners (which are illegal by themselves) by having bulbs other than orange up front and red in the back. it may be "cool" to have bright white polargs but it is asking for trouble.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by I30swimmer
my freinds has an IS300 and he has figured out how to run with his fogs only also. well he got pulled over for making a right on red after 4 pm.. Yes down here we have time limits when we can turn. but he also got written up for having his fogs only

huh???? is there something i don't know about??? or is it a tampa thing??? i make turns on reds all day!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:05 PM

Aren't fogs considered driving lights (day time running lights) when not on with the headlights before dusk?
Old 02-01-2005, 09:21 PM

Not sure about that Polak. The cop did mention something interesting. He said I could not follow anyone with just my fogs on. He said it in passing as he was heading back to his car. I hadn't heard that before.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:41 PM

i got pulled over going "90" and jerking into the next lane without signaling and for no reason and got off with a warning might have failed a breathalizer to boot. lesson learned, legal limit is about 1 beer, especially when you're 5'5" 130.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:25 PM

wow that is harsh...would he have given a ticket if you had both your headlights and foglights on during the night(pitch black)????
Old 02-02-2005, 03:42 AM

Here in Germany it's illegal to drive with your fogs on at all unless its foggy out.
I've been flashed by other drivers many times, because I drive with both headlights and foglights on sometimes at night.