5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ground points

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 11:10 AM

ground points

this is the umteenth time this month that hyper ground wires have come up, but i need some help. i bought a hyper ground kit off ebay and im not too sure what to do now. the "instructions" are a bit vague. it came with a main connection plate that all the wires got bolted on to. this plate is then connected to the negative terminal. but one of my questions is, where does the original negative clamp go now? i def need some help. thanks
Old 02-08-2005, 11:17 AM

Which one did you get, I saw one but I did not know what gage wire it was using.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:20 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

the main negative terminal is the neg on the battery, from there it spiders out to the neg on the key points around the engine bay....
Old 02-08-2005, 11:20 AM

Not exactly sure what you're asking but here goes: once the plate is bolted to the negative terminal of the battery, you bolt each of the wires to major engine components, such as the engine and tranny. Check these sites out.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/442543/16

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/313259/10
Old 02-08-2005, 01:00 PM

i bought this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

see how there's that round connector plate that all the wires are connected to? where do i connect that? it says to take off the negative wire and connect the plate on to the negative terminal. i understand that much, but what do i do with the negative wire that i just disconnected?
Old 02-08-2005, 01:54 PM

somehow you are going to have to find a way to connect that to the rounded plate. I just finished making my own kit. I have 20 pictures and all the instructions and material parts list but I am having problems creating a cardomain site. But if you want to see what i did drop me an email address.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by smoon629
i bought this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

see how there's that round connector plate that all the wires are connected to? where do i connect that? it says to take off the negative wire and connect the plate on to the negative terminal. i understand that much, but what do i do with the negative wire that i just disconnected?
there is an aluminum terminal that goes on top of the negative post, an aluminum post with a hole, and the round brass thingie that goes on top of it. The negative battery terminal goes on the aluminum post.

ow, and irish44j: your home made kit sucks ***
Old 02-09-2005, 04:53 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by nailz420
ow, and irish44j: your home made kit sucks ***
i hope you are kidding...cause it does the exact same thing as the "fancy" kits everyone else is selling
Old 02-09-2005, 05:00 AM

I bought my kit from matt. check out the link. he hads grounding points on this page too.

mattblehm
Old 02-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
i hope you are kidding...
Thats what the smiley is for. Irish plugs his kit in every grounding thread, so I thought he might see this

Originally Posted by soonerfan
cause it does the exact same thing as the "fancy" kits everyone else is selling
Not exactly. It may do the same thing but how well? There is a good article on tprmag.com http://www.tprmag.com/issue/8/8_elec_stab.shtml

here's a quote from page 2:
"The common ground point should NOT be just a bolt where lugs from each device are stacked in top of each other. The contact patches between the lugs create their own resistance and ground problems. The very best way is to bolt a short piece of copper bar near the battery to the frame. Connect the copper bar to the battery with a heavy duty ground strap. Drill and tap the bar for each ground return."

This is the same as the round brass thingie that collects all the ground returns on my "fancy" ebay kit. Apparently its not just a gimmik. Besides that your kit is probably the same as any other one, for the exception materials used (bigger wire guage, purity of the copper in wires, contacts' material, shielding, etc.). Btw, you gotta put your grounds UNDER the stock grounds.

Here's another quote from the same page: "So if the ignition system is adequately grounded no amount of more grounding can do any good.". That I DO NOT agree with
Old 02-09-2005, 09:03 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by nailz420
Thats what the smiley is for. Irish plugs his kit in every grounding thread, so I thought he might see this

Not exactly. It may do the same thing but how well? There is a good article on tprmag.com http://www.tprmag.com/issue/8/8_elec_stab.shtml

here's a quote from page 2:
"The common ground point should NOT be just a bolt where lugs from each device are stacked in top of each other. The contact patches between the lugs create their own resistance and ground problems. The very best way is to bolt a short piece of copper bar near the battery to the frame. Connect the copper bar to the battery with a heavy duty ground strap. Drill and tap the bar for each ground return."

This is the same as the round brass thingie that collects all the ground returns on my "fancy" ebay kit. Apparently its not just a gimmik. Besides that your kit is probably the same as any other one, for the exception materials used (bigger wire guage, purity of the copper in wires, contacts' material, shielding, etc.). Btw, you gotta put your grounds UNDER the stock grounds.

Here's another quote from the same page: "So if the ignition system is adequately grounded no amount of more grounding can do any good.". That I DO NOT agree with
my kit grounds THE EXACT SAME way your does and im not going to beat this argument to death again