5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

KYB vs TOKICO

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 10:42 PM
bustanutz123

KYB vs TOKICO

I am not lowering my car....just need something to replace my oem struts.....anyone know which is a better brand??? please let me know the models u have and how does it compare to the oems......if anyone know where I can get it for a good price except for EBAY.......if anyone has any other brands they suggest please also post reply.....also, can a tokico illumina use with my oem suspension components......thanks

Old 02-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Seoul Man

There are lots of threads about this. The KYB GR2 struts are not adjustable. The Tokico HP struts (sometimes called Tokico Blues) are not adjustable. These two options would both be considered decent replacements for your stock struts, but the Tokicos seem to perform better in the cold. Some people report that the KYB struts get more harsh in the cold.

The Tokico Illuminas are adjustable (stiffness is adjustable, not height), and so are the KYB AGX struts. Both of these will also work as replacements for your stock struts, but once again, the Illuminas seem to be more popular. KYB is a great brand, but people around here seem to prefer Tokico.

If you maybe plan on modding your suspension even more later on, you should probably go with one of the adjustable options (the Illuminas or the AGXs). That way you can make them softer now while you're using your stock springs and then you can stiffen them up later if you want to fine tune your setup.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:37 AM
mjg

the AGX, unless something has changed, has to be modified from a 4th gen set. That's what mine are. Illuminas will directly fit. It's just the front pair that needs to be dremeled to make the hole bigger, and they have to cut the strut tops so u can have the dials come throm so u can adjust them through the hood.

I've driven in cars with both setups. I like both, but also illuminas were not available when i did my struts. So perhaps i mighta gone with them nowadays since it's easier.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:16 AM

aroudn what setting would the tokico blues be set at if u compared them to the illumina's?
Old 02-09-2005, 08:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maximillus
aroudn what setting would the tokico blues be set at if u compared them to the illumina's?
I think 3s, last I heard on here. Anyone?
Old 02-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Seoul Man

I've heard people say that the Tokico Blues are equivalent to Illuminas set at setting 2, and some say 3. It's definitely stiffer than stock, and it's not as stiff as the Illuminas pumped up to 4 or 5.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:25 AM

get the tokico's - either blues if you are not lowering your car too much in the future or illumina's if you are planning a drastic drop! - i have the kyb gr2's and notice that it is true , when they are colder the kyb's give a much harsher ride - i myself am actually thinkin of gettin a set of the tokico illuminas - before i forget to mention though i am on tein s.techs, so i probably should have made my first strut choice the tokico illuminas- my bad
Old 02-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Wat

OEM struts = tockico blue rejects

Tokico blues = stock ride/handling, however they blow less easily
Old 02-09-2005, 12:27 PM

Tokico Are Stock On Se So If The Factory Uses Them Thats What I Would Use
Old 02-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Z

2Front/3Rear
Old 02-10-2005, 06:50 AM

I think I might have a set of new GR2's lying around.... If youre interested PM me.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:24 AM
bustanutz123

I prob will get tokicos

Old 02-10-2005, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by juniper9803
Tokico Are Stock On Se So If The Factory Uses Them Thats What I Would Use
Sorry, but I don't agree with that reasoning... just because Nissan uses a manufacturer to supply the stock parts doesn't mean that they're good.... Tokico seems to be good so far in terms of the HPs and Illuminas, but that cannot be a general rule of thumb... look at the Bose system we have... that's a good example of a stock item that sucks.... the "factory" uses them, but I would never put another Bose audio system into my car until they've proven they can do it right....

Btw.. I have Tokico HPs and they've been good so far...
Old 02-10-2005, 08:39 AM

Nissan gave us the Crapenzas. Nuff said.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max
Nissan gave us the Crapenzas. Nuff said.
Exactly...
Old 07-25-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Sorry, but I don't agree with that reasoning... just because Nissan uses a manufacturer to supply the stock parts doesn't mean that they're good.... Tokico seems to be good so far in terms of the HPs and Illuminas, but that cannot be a general rule of thumb... look at the Bose system we have... that's a good example of a stock item that sucks.... the "factory" uses them, but I would never put another Bose audio system into my car until they've proven they can do it right....

Btw.. I have Tokico HPs and they've been good so far...

- Q: What is the difference between OEM TOKICOs and TOKICO High Performance aftermarket shocks?
A: Specifications for TOKICO original equipment shocks are determined by the vehicle manufacturer, with mass production in mind. Specs for TOKICO High Performance Shocks are designed by our Engineers. TOKICO High Performance shocks have unique valving and internal characteristics, and are designed with performance in mind.

I hope that helps.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:34 PM

Tokico Illuminas all day
Old 07-26-2010, 06:44 PM

For the money, I have no complaints with the GR2's. Stiffer than stock, but not so much as to take away ride quality. Haven't driven them through a full winter yet, though.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:37 AM

While this thread is up.....

I am going to be replacing shocks soon. I have had the blues for ~60k now and have been pretty happy with them but they are getting a bit sloppy over bumps. The only complaint that I have is that they have been a bit soft in the rear, which has been described by quite a few on here.

I am planning on putting H&R springs in the front and keeping stock springs in the rear. I was thinking about getting blues again in the front to keep as much comfort with the H&R's, but using the GR-2's in the rear since the consensus is that they are a bit stiffer.

Does that sound like a good combo? or should I use the GR-2's in the front as well because their stiffness may be a better match for the slightly stiffer H&R springs?

Any advice would be appreciated as always.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by kgallerie
While this thread is up.....

I am going to be replacing shocks soon. I have had the blues for ~60k now and have been pretty happy with them but they are getting a bit sloppy over bumps. The only complaint that I have is that they have been a bit soft in the rear, which has been described by quite a few on here.

I am planning on putting H&R springs in the front and keeping stock springs in the rear. I was thinking about getting blues again in the front to keep as much comfort with the H&R's, but using the GR-2's in the rear since the consensus is that they are a bit stiffer.

Does that sound like a good combo? or should I use the GR-2's in the front as well because their stiffness may be a better match for the slightly stiffer H&R springs?

Any advice would be appreciated as always.
Was the main reason I got rid of my blues. The rears sucked. Way too soft in the rear. The front was great but I couldnt get pass the soft rears. Ended up replacing with brand new OE shocks/struts and I love it.........
Old 07-27-2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
Was the main reason I got rid of my blues. The rears sucked. Way too soft in the rear. The front was great but I couldnt get pass the soft rears. Ended up replacing with brand new OE shocks/struts and I love it.........
Is that on stock springs?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:53 PM

Dont know about KYB's but went with the Tokico Blues w/ Eibach Springs!!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:10 AM

Just installed KYB GR2's on my '02 GLE

I'm quite pleased with the ride and handling, much better than the stock struts. They do ride a little stiff on rough roads but do a good job of keeping the tires on the pavement. On the highway the car has a nice firm (but not too harsh) ride and tracks really nice.

I bought my set of struts from The Shock Warehouse (www.shockwarehouse.com) for about $425. I also bought the KYB strut mounts and boots there too. I didn't care for the KYB boots and went with the OEM boots even though it was more money. The KYB boots just looked a little too cheesy for me and they didn't seem to fit over the strut correctly. I ended up keeping the original strut mounts for the front, they were in like-new condition and had a better build quality compared to the KYB mounts.

The only real snag during the installation was getting one of the rear struts off the car. I ended up using a hacksaw to cut the bolt where the strut mounts to the rear axle. A huge PITA! I had the rear springs replaced several years back per a Nissan recall and my guess is the mechanic got a little frisky with the impact gun. I broke 2 1/2 inch Craftsmen ratchets and a socket trying to get the strut off the car. It was way beyond the torque specs.

Last edited by slo-ryde; 08-26-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Are tokico coilovers only for the back and not the front? Since coilovers are coils over shocks, is there something for coil over struts for the front?

I am looking to lower the '02 6MT SE a little and improve the handling and overall driving.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by earnold07
Are tokico coilovers only for the back and not the front? Since coilovers are coils over shocks, is there something for coil over struts for the front?

I am looking to lower the '02 6MT SE a little and improve the handling and overall driving.
SEE:djfrestyls-definitive-i-have-suspension-question-thread.html
Old 04-26-2012, 08:31 AM

Tokico doesn't make coilovers for our cars.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks guys I appreciate it
Old 04-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Suspension Yoda