5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

RSB Installed! Finally... (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2001, 07:35 AM

Well I finally got my RSB installed last saturday. When I first got my rsb, I didn't have jack stands, so I tried to put it on while keeping the tires on, bad idea, it's nearly impossible. Then while putting my wheels back of after figuring out I couldn't do it, I broke my lock lug nut. And then I had to wait an additional two weeks b/c it took me a while to get to the dealership. I then bought jack stands and used the stock jack on both sides, put the stand underneath, as close to the stock jack as possible and lowered it down. After taking both wheels off, I tightened the rsb on the passenger side. Then I fastened the rsb on the drivers side. One thing I didn't realize is that it takes a little muscle to get the rsb to fit in, that you sort of have to compress it to get the screws through. I used the brackets as sort of levers to compress the rsb and pull it up so I could fit the screws through. Overall, the installation wasn't hard. I'm not that experienced with cars, so it took me a while to figure out how to jack it up.

Okay, the test drive:

I didn't hear any clanking or knocks, so I presumed I put it on tight enough. The ride is much flatter, I drove on some curvy roads that I usually feel out of control on. I was driving much faster than normal and the max handled much better. The best way I can describe it is like a huge hand is pushing down the inside rear corner of the car, preventing it from rolling.

I think a combo of the RSB and FSTB are very effective together in improving the handling of the max and I recommend them to every maxima owner (no, I don't work for stillen).

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their help and advice, BC

PS: Whats next: OSCAI maybe?
Old 04-30-2001, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by bcannon
(no, I don't work for stillen).

Congrats! Just curious, is there any specific reason you went with the Stillen over the Addco? Wondering what your thought process was.

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2001, 07:47 AM

I was thinking that the brackets would be better than the bushings, although it probably doesn't matter. Stillen stuff also seems well built, I didn't want to get something that would break easily...
Old 04-30-2001, 07:56 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Going to get springs soon?
Old 04-30-2001, 07:57 AM

Congrats Thanks for the insight on the installation. I am planning on getting one this summer and installing it myself also. I guess that I will also have to buy a jackstand too. It's good to know that everybody who gets one has a positive opinion of it.
Old 04-30-2001, 07:59 AM

I'll wait until I have a lot more miles and when I start to get bored with my car...

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Going to get springs soon?
Old 04-30-2001, 08:00 AM
Got Bent?

nice job...glad you like it
Old 04-30-2001, 01:53 PM

Good to know that it's doable. Enjoy the drive.
Old 04-30-2001, 03:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by RcticMax

Congrats! Just curious, is there any specific reason you went with the Stillen over the Addco? Wondering what your thought process was.

Thanks.
Well I chose to purchase the Stillen over the others because it is adjustable.
Old 04-30-2001, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by BottleFedMax

Well I chose to purchase the Stillen over the others because it is adjustable.
Hmmm... I thought the Addco was adjustable, too? According to Avalon's website www.avalonracing.net/maxima.htm it reads the following re: the Addco Rear Sway Bar:

"One of the most effective basic performance modifications. All benefit without negative side effects. Easy to install, adjustable, comes standard with ADDCO's "optional" urethane bushings."

What the heck do I know anyway?
Old 04-30-2001, 10:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The Addco one is adjustable. But they never said it was an easy adjustment. Basically, you would have to move the bushing up or down the arms to make the ride stiffer or looser. I didn't adjust mine cause, honestly, it's just too much work.

Hmmm... I thought the Addco was adjustable, too? According to Avalon's website www.avalonracing.net/maxima.htm it reads the following re: the Addco Rear Sway Bar:

"One of the most effective basic performance modifications. All benefit without negative side effects. Easy to install, adjustable, comes standard with ADDCO's "optional" urethane bushings."
Old 04-30-2001, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by clee130
The Addco one is adjustable. But they never said it was an easy adjustment. Basically, you would have to move the bushing up or down the arms to make the ride stiffer or looser. I didn't adjust mine cause, honestly, it's just too much work.

So I'm assuming from your post that you have the Addco RSB. If that's correct, and assuming the Stillen RSB IS easily adjustable, then would it be reasonable to say that the extra $$$ for the Stillen RSB is worth it for this "feature" alone?

Jeez, I'm gonna need a pit crew pretty soon to do all these adjustments!
Old 04-30-2001, 11:04 PM

Yeah, I have the Addco one. But honestly, how often would you really need to adjust the RSB? I know I haven't touched mine and even if I had the Stillen RSB, I doubt I would be adjusting the RSB at all.

And one major reason for getting the Addco RSB was because I got a really sweet deal on it. Price couldn't be beat.

So I'm assuming from your post that you have the Addco RSB. If that's correct, and assuming the Stillen RSB IS easily adjustable, then would it be reasonable to say that the extra $$$ for the Stillen RSB is worth it for this "feature" alone?

Jeez, I'm gonna need a pit crew pretty soon to do all these adjustments!
Old 04-30-2001, 11:19 PM

Yeah, I have the Addco one. But honestly, how often would you really need to adjust the RSB? I know I haven't touched mine and even if I had the Stillen RSB, I doubt I would be adjusting the RSB at all.

And one major reason for getting the Addco RSB was because I got a really sweet deal on it. Price couldn't be beat.

Ok, my curiosity is piqued. How much did you wind up paying and where did you get it?

Here's what I've been able to find so far:

Addco -
Cattman: $145 Gold Zinc/$165 Black Powder Coat
Courtesy: $175.50 (although they only show this for up to '99 Max's so not sure if the price will be different for 2k1)

Stillen -
GR Racing: $239.00
Stillen: $263.32

Of course, add S/H on top of all this at about $20.00. Dang, that's some coin for a piece of twisted metal.
Old 05-01-2001, 10:30 AM

Well... the Addco RSB can be bought from http://www.shox.com for $110 plus shipping I believe. It's originally $120 but I think that if you mention Max.org you get $10 off.

But I got mine from someone who had an extra set. Brand spankin new for $100. Like I said, a sweet deal that couldn't be beat.

Ok, my curiosity is piqued. How much did you wind up paying and where did you get it?

Here's what I've been able to find so far:

Addco -
Cattman: $145 Gold Zinc/$165 Black Powder Coat
Courtesy: $175.50 (although they only show this for up to '99 Max's so not sure if the price will be different for 2k1)

Stillen -
GR Racing: $239.00
Stillen: $263.32

Of course, add S/H on top of all this at about $20.00. Dang, that's some coin for a piece of twisted metal.
Old 05-01-2001, 11:27 AM

Well... the Addco RSB can be bought from http://www.shox.com for $110 plus shipping I believe. It's originally $120 but I think that if you mention Max.org you get $10 off.

But I got mine from someone who had an extra set. Brand spankin new for $100. Like I said, a sweet deal that couldn't be beat.

Yep, I agree, good deal you got. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-01-2001, 01:54 PM

Stupid question but...

please clear this up for me! (this is not on the FAQ list)

What's the difference b/w a rear stabilizer bar and a rear sway bar? Seems like some ppl are using these terms interchangably. I'm only asking cuz I know that front and rear stabilizer bars comes stock on the Max...

Old 05-01-2001, 01:59 PM

Stupid question but...

What's the difference b/w a rear stabilizer bar and a rear sway bar? Seems like some ppl are using these terms interchangably. I'm only asking cuz I know that front and rear stabilizer bars comes stock on the Max...

Old 05-01-2001, 02:09 PM
Got Bent?

Re: Stupid question but...

Originally posted by MaxinMD

a rear stabilizer(RSTB) bar is different from a rear sway bar (RSB). A RSTB goes on top of the strut towers in the trunk. It is not very useful, as many people have said. A RSB hooks up near the rear axle under the car and improves handling significantly. I think the Maxima does come with some sort of sway bars stock. Not sure though....