5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 11:04 AM

ride quality

i want my car to have a nicer, more responsive ride than my current stock 2001 I30t ride. i don't like how my car is so harsh over any bumps.

please tell me what i need, where i should buy the parts? i know i probably want the H&R springs, and the tokico illumina (adjustable ) struts... but how many do i need for the front or back? i really don't even care if my car is dropped that much, i just want a GOOD ride with less harshness....

also can i just buy the parts, go to my mechanic and have him install it?
Old 02-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

your really looking in the wrong direction man. Less harsh and more responsive are somewhat of an oxy moron. If you go with aftermarket springs and struts, the ride is going to be much harsher with more response. I really dont know what you would do for a softer ride. I cant think of anything aftermarket that will help smooth out the bumps. sorry i cant be of more assistance
Old 02-11-2005, 11:10 AM

If your main complaint is the harsh ride over bumps, there isn't much you can do to smooth that out. You have the same solid rear axle design as the Maximas. That's why your car feels like it hops all over the place when going over bumps. That was the biggest thing I had to get used to when I first got the car.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:47 AM

My recommendation would be to improve the rigidity/structure integrity of the car to absorb the bump or road impact better. This way, when you hit a bump...the frame will absorb the vibration and dissipate/minimize the impact from reaching to your seat. Most so called "Luxury sport sedan" nowaday have a very rigid platform. In addition, they use a combo of softer springs and more stiffer struts setting. This setup allow better ride quality yet allow the driver with better steering response.

As to how that can be done for the A33 model...get the following items:
-SFC (subframe connector)
-Tokico Blue shocks
-FSB/RSB/RSTB
-Keep the stock springs (change it to an aftermarket H&R springs if the stock setup is too soft for your taste)

-Good luck!
Old 02-11-2005, 11:52 AM

man i thought it was just my maxima that was bumpy, going over rail roads tracks is crazy.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by rLx77
i want my car to have a nicer, more responsive ride than my current stock 2001 I30t ride. i don't like how my car is so harsh over any bumps.
I concurr with what others here have written about you looking for things that are mutually exclusive/conflicting, that said, the OEM struts are pretty bad in that they are somewhat harsh over small, sharp bumps (stiction and poor valving design) so you could replace them with units that are not sport-oriented (like the Tokico Blues or KYB GR2s) but with Monroe struts -they are really cushy.

Also, if you are riding on the OEM tires, there are far better options out there for ride quality such as the Firestone LH30 and the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H's...both will probably dramatically improve responsiveness and ride comfort....
Old 02-11-2005, 11:59 AM

One thing I noticed is when I went from the original OEM Potenza's that came with the car new, to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's, it seemed much more forgiving on any bumps I hit. Seems to smooth things out a bit. Took some of the Max's harshness away, which I liked.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by Y2KSilvahSE
One thing I noticed is when I went from the original OEM Potenza's that came with the car new, to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's, it seemed much more forgiving on any bumps I hit. Seems to smooth things out a bit. Took some of the Max's harshness away, which I liked.
If you liked the Pilots, you would die for the Turanza LS-Vs....i took Pilots with 6k miles off my car because I could not stand their noise levels and harshness.....compared to the Pilots, the Turanzas are much softer and quieter and give up very little in handlingw
Old 02-11-2005, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by bigsherv
man i thought it was just my maxima that was bumpy, going over rail roads tracks is crazy.
yeah i thought it was just mine as well and i really hate to say it but i had a 96 6 cyc camry before my max. while my max's style and aggressiveness far outreaches my old camry, the camry ride was 100 times nicer,both in taking bumps and the ease at which you could turn the stearing wheel in parking lots and such. as far as speed,i never raced either but they feel pretty close. i ended up giving the camry to my mom at 120,000 and with over 200,000 miles on it now it really drives just as smooth as when i first got it! every time i have to use it, it buggs me out that it's still so smooth and still going strong but as far as style, there is no comparison my max eats up the camry.
i can only hope the max will live as long.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:51 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

nothing you can do about stock ride being harsh. Anything aftermarket will make your ride harsher. How many miles on your car? I replaced my shocks on my other cars after many many years of driving and that improved a little bit.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:53 PM

my car has 45,000... so someone said that Monroe Struts would make it very cushy? ok, sorry about the conflicting words... i want a nice comfortable ride, and i don't really care about handling/responsiveness as much... i drive in the city often, and also in places where there are lots of bumps.. i'd kill for just a softer/less harsh ride.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:58 PM

Extra smooth rides are for SUV's and travel cars, not cars with speed and racing in mind.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:02 PM

If you do get a smooth suspension your car won't operate the same around corners or over short quick hills.