5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

advice underdrive pulleys????

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

advice underdrive pulleys????

have any ideas on how long or hard of a job they are. i mean anything would really help even if someone has a picture of the engine so i could see what the job is going to take see im not with my beloved car right now. even if it means just looking at your car real quick and telling me that it looks like its going to be tuff would be more than i have right now thankyou for any help
Old 02-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've never done it... but you can be the judge:

http://www.greghome.com/Greg%27s%20G...xSE/2K2UDP.htm
Old 02-12-2005, 01:32 PM

Ive done it. It's the hardest install Ive done on my car so far, but it's definitely doable. The pulley is on the passenger side of the engine, you take that wheel off and take out the wheel well lining to access it. The only really hard aspect of it are the belts. You have to take them off, then put them back on and tighen them back down after you get the pulley on. The one belt is easy, but the power steering belt is really tough to loosen and tighten. There are a few UDP how-to's on the org, and I assume that's what puppet's link is to. OM me if you need any more info. BTW, I have a motostorm UDP and I like it. No problems. Oh, and if/when you install a UDP, make sure you replace the oil seal behind it. Get it from the dealership, they might have to order it (I think it was like 7 dollars).
Old 02-12-2005, 03:41 PM

if your using a unorthodox racing pulley you dont need to change ps belt just adjust it,i tryed using the belt numbers they say to use and wasted a hour trying to get it on also its best if you can do it on a lift lying on your back makes it harder then it is.also change crank seal when you install new pully.good luck
Old 02-13-2005, 06:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

oh thankyou thankyou all this is honestly alot more than i thought i was going to get thankyou very much now well last question if you come around to
should i do it, or not this is definitely an opinion question so shoot if choose thankyou again
Old 02-13-2005, 10:56 AM

here you go...

http://www.forums.maxima.org/showthr...ght=pulley+udp

but this is what sold me...

http://www.greghome.com/images/Maxima(2002)/Mods/Performance/UDP/Post-UDP%20Dyno.jpg

mine is in on the way... ordered it last week
Old 02-13-2005, 11:14 AM

Do you really want to do all that for maybe 1 or 2 HP increase (if that)?
Old 02-13-2005, 12:15 PM
$tillenmax2k

Originally Posted by adithius
Do you really want to do all that for maybe 1 or 2 HP increase (if that)?
You don't have an UDP right?

I gained 8whp on the dyno from just the Unorthodox UDP.

Old 02-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Seoul Man

The Unorthodox UDP is my favorite. Actually most of the gains come from the fact that it's lighter than the stock pulley, not the fact that it is smaller. That's good, because it means that you won't have any of the problems normally associated with using an underdrive pulley that's too small (loss of performance to your electrical accessories).

I've helped with Unorthodox installs on a few Sentras and one Civic. It's a job that you should really have 2 people for. I suppose one person could do it, though.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:36 PM
$tillenmax2k

With the right tools, it only takes about 30 minutes, and that's because the wheel and belts need to be removed. The actual pulley is easy to swap, and it would be a good idea to put in a new crankshaft seal while you're there.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by $tillenmax2k
You don't have an UDP right?

I gained 8whp on the dyno from just the Unorthodox UDP.
Got dynos?

What other mods do ya have?
Old 02-13-2005, 09:04 PM

If you have done it a few times before, then maybe you could do it in 30 minutes, but it will take an hour or two for a first-timer if you have all the things you need right there when you start. It's not like an intake or an exhaust where you just remove the old one and bolt on the new one. The extra variable here is belts. Like stillenmax2k said, the actual pulley is easy to swap, but the tough part is those damn belts.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:50 AM

I don't mean to hijack this threat but what UDP do you recommend... I know there are various brands out there and I saw that the one being used here is the Motostorm UDP... I am going to buy it this week... Thanks...
Old 02-14-2005, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by willkim
here you go...

http://www.forums.maxima.org/showthr...ght=pulley+udp

but this is what sold me...

http://www.greghome.com/images/Maxima(2002)/Mods/Performance/UDP/Post-UDP%20Dyno.jpg

mine is in on the way... ordered it last week
can anyone else say that the 99 UDP works with the 02 because they listed as different????
Old 02-14-2005, 01:41 PM
$tillenmax2k

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Got dynos?

What other mods do ya have?
Yes.

Pretty much everything.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:48 PM

Yes.

Pretty much everything.
Care to share then? Or is this all privileged information? The more evidence I see the more I'll be convinced, since the word is that its only with other significant mods you will really feel the difference when adding an UDP... and since ya have "everything", your gains will presumably be higher than when compared to someone else with no other mods but the UDP.... you can PM me if ya want. Thanks...
Old 02-14-2005, 02:34 PM
$tillenmax2k

My dyno results were printed on paper by the shop. I don't know how to get digital files of them to put on my computer.

Actually the underdrive pulley was installed by a local maxima tuner, which is why he did it so quickly. It was my second mod after an intake, and it was the only thing i changed between dyno sessions.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:41 PM

My dyno results were printed on paper by the shop. I don't know how to get digital files of them to put on my computer.

Actually the underdrive pulley was installed by a local maxima tuner, which is why he did it so quickly. It was my second mod after an intake, and it was the only thing i changed between dyno sessions.
Hmmm... guess the only way would be for ya to scan em... don't worry about it then, thanks anyway...

So an intake and a UDP netted ya 8whp huh? That's impressive... contrary to what I've heard... but impressive nevertheless... I guess I'm doing it either way... got an intake/y/cat-back now and probably will get headers down the road... guess its a matter of time before I get an UDP....
Old 02-14-2005, 02:55 PM
I miss the .org!

It's not difficult, just a PITA to loosen those tensioner pulleys.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:58 PM
$tillenmax2k

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
So an intake and a UDP netted ya 8whp huh? That's impressive... contrary to what I've heard... but impressive nevertheless... I guess I'm doing it either way... got an intake/y/cat-back now and probably will get headers down the road... guess its a matter of time before I get an UDP....
No, i gained 8whp with just the UDP. Intake was already on before that.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:09 PM

I see you are a GLE....meaning automatic transmission. Unless you have an impact wrench, forget it. You cannot break the pulley belt loose because the crankshaft just turns. I tried the instruction of pulling a small plate off the tranmission and using a pry bar on the flywheel teeth but gave up quickly with fear of breaking off a flywheel tooth. So, if you don't have an air compressor...forget it. I went to a small/self owned repair shop and they charged me $65 for the install. Took him less than an hour and he *****ed about reaching the bolts for the belts but it much easier that DIY. I have Unorthodox and feel a difference but no dyno testing. I have a sun roof and have to rev the engine a little to close it.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:20 PM

Well, there is a really easy way to get the bolt off. Get a breaker bar and a socket (cant remember the size), put it on the crank bolt and rotate the entire thing as far as you can clockwise. The breaker bar will touch part of the suspension. Now, get in the car and turn the key to start for a split second. You may have to do it a couple times, but the starter will turn the crank and the breaker bar will be pressed against the suspension, and the bolt will start to unscrew. You can then take the pulley off. I know it sounds like a bad idea, but it didn't damage my car.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:20 PM

because of the loss of power? i run so much **** in my car, i dont know that i could live without all my power..

im running a few lights inside
Radiator fans- (on with switch mod)
windows rolling up and down, with sunroof
2 subs
1 amp
HID headlights

is it really a good idea to go to a smaller pully with all that?
Old 02-14-2005, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by I30swimmer
because of the loss of power? i run so much **** in my car, i dont know that i could live without all my power..

2 subs
1 amp
HID headlights

no it's not a good idea to run a udp with that.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:28 AM
Seoul Man

2 subs
1 amp
HID headlights

I wouldn't run an underdrive (smaller) pulley with all those accessories, but if you can find a lightened pulley that is the same size as stock, you might want to try that.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Charliejag
BTW, I have a motostorm UDP and I like it. No problems. Oh, and if/when you install a UDP, make sure you replace the oil seal behind it. Get it from the dealership, they might have to order it (I think it was like 7 dollars).
How many miles have ya had the Motostorm on? No problems yet I assume? I'm trying to get feedback on it since I'm in that GD for it....

Anyone else with Motostorm UDP feedback?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:58 AM

Hmmm... I did find this... http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....=motostorm+UDP
Old 02-23-2005, 10:09 AM

Ive got about 7000 on mine.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Charliejag
Ive got about 7000 on mine.
Thanks... and thanks for the PM too... I appreciate the feedback...
Old 02-23-2005, 10:31 AM

2 subs
1 amp
HID headlights

i thought HID's used less power?

PS- in the group buy section motorstorm is selling the udp for $70 shipped.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:04 AM

I bought the Unorthodox, The Install took about 30min-1hour because one of the belts wasnt the right size. It was pretty easy, i would suggest 2 people. I thought it was a great performance mod, Take offf is much lighter and faster, and rpms rev quicker. The Directions on the Unorthodox was simple, but i dunoo about the other Brands... Basically, Put your car on a hoist. take off the front passenger wheel, take the plastic shiled tire well off(only 2 bolts). loosen the Crank bolt, Loosen the tensionior, Take off the belt, Put the Udp crank back on, put the new belt on then tighten the tensioner. The Fisrt time you take it offf, You do it in the reverse order to put it back on... Pretty Simple, If not take it to your nearest mechanic!!!!