5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

FIRST LOOK! SSR/SFR Turbo Kit for 5th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 06:16 PM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
I'd run 315cc-->504cc, since different injectors probably behave somewhat different according to fuel pressure.

I'd go from 270cc-->504cc to 290cc-->504cc first. Then try 300cc and 315cc and see what works best. Just MAKE SURE you check your AFR once you start playing at WOT.
Will Do! Thanks!
Old 04-13-2005, 11:10 PM
drag racing is for wussies

SSR- how much for just the feed pipes and the downpipe ? I'm using a HKS GT30R for a turbo, with the GT style 4 bolt exhaust housing. I have my own WG and everything else I can source from diff places. I know I need the manifolds with the setup so I will be ditchin my HS headers. Let me know as I am very interested in just the piping.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:31 AM
I R The Law

wats the hp produced by this turbo??
Old 04-14-2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by 03MaXiMa_RiDa
wats the hp produced by this turbo??
Guess you didn't bother actually READING the posts in this thread did you...?

The HP rating (for now) has been posted already.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:16 PM

Enough HP to blow your AT tranny up. Alot of people in this tread are like "yeah I'ma buy this", but it will turn out like the last SSR turbo thread where people where like ehh 6K dollars for a turbo kit ? I am DEFF interested in the piping if the price is resonable.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Rob01ski

Turbo talk is crazy stuff, its like a hole nother language ehh

Old 04-16-2005, 12:38 AM

Still waiting for updates? did you tune the e-manage, whats your budget so far?
Old 04-16-2005, 08:33 AM

Jez, you know your stuff man, but this thing isn't getting into the 120's at all. 400whp just isnt enough in a 3300 lb FWD car to get that high. Somewhere in the 113-117 mph range is probably more like it. Anyway, sick kit. Good luck on getting it completed.

Fernando

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Stillen SCs eat their belts quite alot, how many threads have I seen in years bout a belt being shreaded etc. Stillen SC is a good product but it doesn't have the midrange punch of the turbo kit, nor will it ever make the TQ that a good turbo kit will.

Car should run 11s without a doubt, with traction at around 125-130MPH.

Roy is that a GT35R in the picture ?

As for tuning a 10K dollar Turbo project GS-R in the early 90s.... well in the early 90s there where no good biggy back ECUs and there where no good stand alones. Everything was JUST starting to develop for imports- I remember RS Akimoto intake DC headers and Greddy exhaust was DA shizznit on Hondas, now you can buy everything cheap on Ebay, its all copied cheap **** that some manufacturer came up with years ago and all the low lifes are trying to copy. These days you can turbocharge ANYTHING, in the early 90s not many good turboed cars existed. If you look at the industry, a 350HP Talon 10 years ago was something to be proud of, forward to 2005 and a 350HP Talon is not all that, especially when you have 500-600HP ones rolling around doing 9s and 10s in the 1/4 mile with stock unibodies.

Industry has changed, technology has improved, the whole scene got divided into the ricers who are just into intakes, exhausts and body kits, to people who make SICK cars, it don't matter if its a 400HP Hyundai Excel or a 1000WHP Supra- still a sick car that deserves more props than a 20" bladed ugly *** body kited Maxima.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey don't count that out....there was that 5.5 gen 6spd that ran a 12.8 recently with only bolt-ons..he trapped 108 I believe and lightened the car to 3150 lbs and that was with him in it and on MT slicks...he says he didn't take that much out...but I would think he did...I am guessing roy would spend some time lightening the car some in the future if he ever went to the strip...
Old 04-16-2005, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
hey don't count that out....there was that 5.5 gen 6spd that ran a 12.8 recently with only bolt-ons..he trapped 108 I believe and lightened the car to 3150 lbs and that was with him in it and on MT slicks...he says he didn't take that much out...but I would think he did...I am guessing roy would spend some time lightening the car some in the future if he ever went to the strip...
you can make a lot happen with a good set of rubber and gears. i was actually talking about how this thing will trap out in the mid teens. pretty nasty nonetheless...
Old 04-16-2005, 08:32 PM

well I meant the NA maxima trapped a 108...he hasn't even done all the bolt-ons...so imagine roys car if perfectly tuned...
Old 04-16-2005, 11:29 PM

I don't know bout 10 second Maximas just yet, but I think with enough boost and right fuel and ignition management it could happen on a stock engine with a 5spd tranny. I don't see why 130+MPH traps are not possible. Still waiting for info on the piping so I can get my project off and going. I would like to put my retired Blitz boost gauge back into action by this summer
Old 04-17-2005, 01:01 PM
jjj

cool parts
i like
Old 04-25-2005, 11:00 AM

bump....whats the update guys.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:21 PM

update or they just forgot about the thread
Old 05-06-2005, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by siren001
update or they just forgot about the thread
Sorry guys, been busy drivin' it and trying to get the bugs out of it...

First off, I was having all kinds of problems getting the e-Manage to work properly... sometimes it would run right, sometimes it ran like ****... After talking to Greddy USA and trying something they suggested we figured out it was a problem with the firmware version of the e-Manage and the firmware version of the Profec e-01 boost controller/e-Manage programmer ... Once I disconnected the e-01 from the e-Manage, the e-Manage kept it's programming and start to play nice.

Right now, I've got the AFR set pretty rich across the whole board... I wanted to have it be safe to drive daily until I could get it tuned again... I'm scheduled now to dyno tune with Shawn Church (Church Automotive Testing) on Sat. the 14th. As I posted before, the car dynoed at 340hp on Shawn's Dynapack dyno... this equates to about 325 hp at the front wheels... I believe torque peaked around 290-300 ft/lbs . Last time I was at the dyno, Shawn tuned it and IIRC, he got 50 ft/lbs more torque... Of course then the e-Manage started screwing up, so we reverted back to an earlier tune and left it...

I'm hoping that next Saturday, Shawn can tune it properly now that the problem with the e-Manage is worked out... I'm hoping we hit 340-350 hp and 325+ ft/lbs tq. Remember, this is with my 3" downpipe bolted up to my 2.5" catalytic converter and 2.5" catback exhaust... Tim @ SFR and Shawn both say that I should be able to gain another 25-30 fwhp with a full 3" exhaust...

I've got something in the works for the 3" cat and catback exhaust - but I'll keep that quiet until it's actually in progress I will say this though, if it happens, and there's no reason why it shouldn't, this 3" catback exhaust is gonna kick major ****!

Anyways, now on to the not so good news...

I'm still receiving a CEL every once in a while for Multiple Cylinder Misfire (P0300). I've also gotten the code for cylinder 4 misfire and also a non-descriptive O2 sensor CEL - can't rememer the code...

Tony and I replaced the spark plugs last weekend and that seemed to reduce the number of CELs, but it didn't completely make them go away. I got 1 step colder NGK iridiums and had them delivered to SFR for them to install. They set the gap at about 0.03, which I think was a little to small. I gapped the new plugs to 0.04 (as opposed to the stock 0.044) and I'm still running 1-step colder NGK iridiums. I can't imagine that the problem could be caused by running the 1 step colders... people do it all the time...

As for the CEL for the O2 sensor(s)... Not sure about that one yet... gonna wait and see if it happens again... Plan is to start replacing O2 sensors if we can pinpoint which one is having the problem...

I'm also thinking about buying new coils if the misfires don't stop after getting it tuned on the 14th...

I'm running out of ideas on why the car is getting the multi cylinder misfires, so if you guys have any ideas lemme know!! I have a feeling that the misfires happen the majority of the time when the car is idling - it seems like most of the times the CEL comes on, the car has been sitting idling for 5+ minutes... Maybe they're getting fuel fouled at idle?

I ended up buying a new 2K/2K1 MAF thinking that maybe the MAF was the cause of the car running so badly (before figuring out that the e-Manage was that cause of it all) but it seems like the stock 2K2 MAF is holding up... Tony had to clean it off a few days after getting it back from SFR... seems that there was a bunch of particles coating the MAF... probably leftover residue from the sand blasting done on the intake piping... I don't know that if the stock MAF was going bad, whether or not it would be causing the misfire problems...

Anyways, as you can see in the pics, the downpipe hangs pretty low... and yes, we've already put a nice little flat spot on the downpipe from going over a bump or through a dip, too quickly... Now I go reaaaallll slow over anything...

right now the boost peaks at about 8.7 psi and kicks in around 3000 RPM. In fact, when driving in 2nd gear and accelerating, at about 30 miles per hour the boost kicks in... when it kicks in and if I keep my foot in it, the car will start spinning the wheels all the way to redline... I also think that when I get the 3" exhaust, the boost should kick in around 2500 RPM, instead of 3000...

Future plans include buying the diodes I need, and then wiring up the ignition harness on the e-Manage.

As you can see, I'm still short of the 400 whp that SFR thought we could hit, but then again, when I dynoed it before the turbo, I did 242 whp... The turbo kit has added over 100+ total hp and about 90whp... Add another 25-30 on top of that with the 3" exhaust, and we'll be able to say that the SFR kit added ~130 hp to the wheels...

And if I don't hit the 400 whp I'm looking for with the turbo... I still have my NX Wet Kit sitting in Tony's garage
Old 05-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Rob01ski

Im newbie but i was wondering if you maybe advanced the timeing would that help the misfires? Just throwing out idea

Old 05-06-2005, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rob01ski
Im newbie but i was wondering if you maybe advanced the timeing would that help the misfires? Just throwing out idea
Ummmm... No. Thanks though.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Hope you get all the bugs worked out.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:29 PM

hope you get the bugs figured out, interested in the kit though when the stuff gets straightened out, whats your total cost so far?
Old 05-07-2005, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by siren001
hope you get the bugs figured out, interested in the kit though when the stuff gets straightened out, whats your total cost so far?
My cost isn't going to be an indicator of what the final cost will be... I got a better price for a couple of reasons:

1) I was the donor/prototype car - basically I got a deal.
2) I also had some of my own parts - injectors, e-manage, boost controller...

if you're serious about the kit, give Tim a call at the number posted throughout this thread.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:53 PM
LithiuMax

The gains don't seem to be worth the price of admission.

Old 05-07-2005, 02:57 PM

I'm probably going to sound like an idiot here but I got the same CEL codes from my Stillen headers. I just replaced the Stealin box with a universal 02 simulator and haven't had a problem since. I have no idea what headers you have but maybe you should try an 02 sim?
Old 05-07-2005, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by LithiuMax
The gains don't seem to be worth the price of admission.
Well, if you're looking for a way of getting ~125+ horsepower, how do you propose to go about it?

Even for the 2K/2K1's, the Stillen supercharger kit costs ~4000 new for only about ~90-100 hp and the PFI turbo kit is between ~3400 and ~4500...

So how you gonna get that extra 100 hp?

If you're satisfied with your oem ~250 bhp than yeah, this isn't for you...
Old 05-07-2005, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by madmxx
I'm probably going to sound like an idiot here but I got the same CEL codes from my Stillen headers. I just replaced the Stealin box with a universal 02 simulator and haven't had a problem since. I have no idea what headers you have but maybe you should try an 02 sim?
You got the CEL because you're not using all 4 of the O2 sensors that your car should be using.

The O2 simulators that you're using are a poor man's way of bypassing the CEL.

What you should do, is take your car in to a shop where they can weld in a couple of O2 bungs, behind your catalytic converter, then extend your rear O2 sensor harnesses and get rid of the sims...

I ran with the Cattman headers in my 2K and in this one, before the turbo kit, never once got the CEL for O2 sensors...

Oh, and the O2 sensors wouldn't be causing the misfires, so the sim wouldn't help... good idea though...
Old 05-07-2005, 10:15 PM

Update: No CEL's for the past 3 days now... Also, Tony and I installed the BlehmCo grounding kit today... the biggest difference we could see, with them installed, is that the car is idling much nicer... Can't wait to dyno tune it next saturday....
Old 05-08-2005, 03:30 AM

I noticed absolutely no difference from the grounding kit from matt blehm...and that was with sanding down and cleaning my old grounds as well in various other places in my engine bay just for fun at the time of the installation...
Old 05-08-2005, 12:41 PM
mjk
Head shot!!!

so what's the price tag on the 3.0L kit?
Old 05-08-2005, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by HNDA ETR
You got the CEL because you're not using all 4 of the O2 sensors that your car should be using.

The O2 simulators that you're using are a poor man's way of bypassing the CEL.

What you should do, is take your car in to a shop where they can weld in a couple of O2 bungs, behind your catalytic converter, then extend your rear O2 sensor harnesses and get rid of the sims...

I ran with the Cattman headers in my 2K and in this one, before the turbo kit, never once got the CEL for O2 sensors...

Oh, and the O2 sensors wouldn't be causing the misfires, so the sim wouldn't help... good idea though...
I am a poor man
I was getting misfire codes due to the Stillen box even though my cylinders weren't misfiring - the o2 sim got rid of those. Doesn't make much sense but that's what happened...lol
Old 05-09-2005, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by madmxx
I was getting misfire codes due to the Stillen box even though my cylinders weren't misfiring
Hmmm... no that's interesting.. I'll have to keep that in mind... thanks for the info!
Old 05-09-2005, 10:39 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Update: No CEL's for the past 3 days now... Also, Tony and I installed the BlehmCo grounding kit today... the biggest difference we could see, with them installed, is that the car is idling much nicer... Can't wait to dyno tune it next saturday....
roy, you going to r&d dyno?
Old 05-09-2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Larrio
roy, you going to r&d dyno?
Hey larry...

I'm going to Shawn Church because he's pretty familiar with tuning the e-Manage. In fact, when I talked with Kenji at Greddy USA, he said Shawn is probably the most knowledgable e-Manage tuner in LA...

Does R&D know the e-Manage?
Old 05-09-2005, 05:14 PM
The Definitive AE Master

i'm not sure if many honda guys run e-manage, since thats where r&d's specialty lies.

reason i asked is because they have a dynojet vs. the chassis dynos at church which don't really simulate hp/tq numbers well nor does it compensate for real time load. However since shawn is familiar with e-manage, I guess he can get it close enough.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Larrio
i'm not sure if many honda guys run e-manage, since thats where r&d's specialty lies.

reason i asked is because they have a dynojet vs. the chassis dynos at church which don't really simulate hp/tq numbers well nor does it compensate for real time load. However since shawn is familiar with e-manage, I guess he can get it close enough.
I asked Shawn about the Dynapack being able to tune for partial load/partial throttle and he told me the Dynapacks are the best... I'm guessing it's because they are hydrauliclly operated and you can vary the load placed on the car in any increment you want...

BTW, 357hp at the wheel hubs - about 342hp at the wheels... 3" exhaust should bring me up to ~370+whp add to that a 35 shot from the NX kit I have and I'm >400!
Old 05-15-2005, 12:43 PM

Very nice BE carefull
Old 05-15-2005, 01:21 PM
Banned

Sounds like my idea of a good time. If only my max wasn't a daily driver that does 50k a year on the highway...
Old 05-15-2005, 06:56 PM
mjk
Head shot!!!

I asked Shawn about the Dynapack being able to tune for partial load/partial throttle and he told me the Dynapacks are the best... I'm guessing it's because they are hydrauliclly operated and you can vary the load placed on the car in any increment you want...

BTW, 357hp at the wheel hubs - about 342hp at the wheels... 3" exhaust should bring me up to ~370+whp add to that a 35 shot from the NX kit I have and I'm >400!
Good luck man, I hope it doesn't blow..
Old 05-16-2005, 12:24 AM

Good job, Did you ever get the e-manage figured out? Whats the stats on that?
Old 05-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Show me the numbers...dyno and price. You will have me sold. I got some money to play with! keep me posted! Thanks!
Old 07-03-2005, 12:49 AM

bump... what's the latest with this project?

Quick Reply: FIRST LOOK! SSR/SFR Turbo Kit for 5th Gen