5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

FIRST LOOK! SSR/SFR Turbo Kit for 5th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 06:05 PM

Any videos/sound files?
Old 09-27-2005, 01:29 AM
Playboycutie69

Updates please. Ur teasing us.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:31 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Playboycutie69
Updates please. Ur teasing us.
OMGHI2U!

If there were any updates, don't you think they'd have posted them?
Old 09-27-2005, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Existing turbo kits that are out for 5th gens are POS kits, every single one of them has something wrong in its design
Every single one? I dont think so....plus i have an auto...plus my blower is clearly showing in the engine bay plus my intercooler is larger than the one SFR is using...need i continue

I asked for my guy to create some more kits about 2.5 years back but he doesnt do that kind of stuff...one-offs only....he also has a custom bike that spits out 300hp..hes insane
Old 09-27-2005, 05:19 AM
drag racing is for wussies

..... plus we need pictures, plus I stand corrected that every KIT you can buy out there for a Maxima is a big POS. Ghetto engineering at its best.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's funny... I was just thinking about this thread yesterday. an update would be nice.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:18 AM

any plans on adding water methanol???
Old 09-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Still Here... IM me for more..

sorry guys...

Been busy at work and busy getting the bugs worked out of the system...

Update:

Dumped the E-Manage blue for the Split Second FTC1. E-Manage had some weird behavior that we couldn't get rid of. Stuff like screwing with my trip computer so that my MPG went to stupid heights like 67 MPG and Distance to Empty 650 Miles.... Also, kept getting random misfire codes, etc., and couldn't get it tuned properly. With the O2's connected, I would also sometimes get a flashing CEL (Misfires) when driving at highways speeds around 2250 RPM. Split Second FTC1 was so much easier to install and tune (rough tune) - no need to tap into injector wires (which I think is what caused the weird trip computer readings) - basically just taps into MAF, Crank and Cam to control Fuel and Timing.

Other strange behavior: The short term fuel trim for each bank of cylinders was off - too off. One bank would go -10% and the other would go +10% and vice versa. Thought it might have been the EM, so we disconnected the front O2 sensors and I drove around like that for a long time. When I switched to the SS, I experienced a "surging" feeling when driving - very subtle, but you could feel the car surge a little, then drop back, then surge, drop back, etc. Checked the fuel trim and the banks were doing the same thing as with the EM. So ended up disconnecting the O2's again and that took care of the surging.

During this time, I was also involved with getting a prototype 3" catback exhaust built for Cattman Performance (you can see my other threads about this).

We also ended up having to replace the Motul scavenge pump - one I got was defective and leaked from the seal that holds the pump together, in the middle. New one doesn't leak.

Attended a Maxima meet here in SoCal and Tony gave some guys a ride in the car.... They all seemed pretty impressed MichaelNyden seemed to have trouble breathing during the ride, I hear... lol...

Last week, I took a trip down to see Tim at SFR because I wanted to move the placements of the O2 sensors from both being behind the turbo, to back into the individual exhaust manifolds. Ended up taking all day to do. Also ended up fixing an oil leak on the cold side of the turbo housing (loose bolts - no Loc-Tite - guy who assembled this piece got canned from SFR already though).

Now, the two cylinder banks seem to be more in synch. More often than not, when one is - the other is - and when one is + the other is +. Still see some - on one and + on the other, but I expect that that's normal. No more surging feeling when driving either. With the O2's behind the turbo, they had no idea what was going on with the trim on each bank, so they were pretty much flying blind and shooting in the dark when trying to control the mixture. When one O2 said to make the mixture richer, the other said Why is it getting Rich? and then tried to lean it out. Hence the fighting between the 2 banks.

AEM WBO2 indicates a fairly stoich mix (remember, there's a very rough tune in the SS right now).

Last time I dynoed, was when Shawn Church (Church Automotive Testing) was trying to tune the EM. We pulled 357 hp at the wheel hubs on the Dyna Pack Chasis Dyno. Take away 15 hp, to compensate for not having wheels on and that leaves 342 fwhp - about 400 at the crank taking 15% drivetrain loss... All of this on 8.5 PSI. We went up to 9.5, but didn't make any better numbers, probably because of the fact that my 3" downpipe merges with my 2.5" cat and catback exhaust. Big choke there. I expect to gain between 20-30 more whp with a full 3" cat and catback system. Then, turn up the boost to 9.5 and let's see what it'll do

In 1st gear, the boost kicks in and the car will smoke all the way to red line.
In 2nd gear, the boost kicks in at about 3K RPM and rips the tires free and will smoke them to red line. Have to feather the throttle to keep traction and move forward.
In 3rd and 4th, it's all boost and all acceleration... Have to modulate the throttle to keep the car from going too rich and bogging - remember, this is a rough tune - just enough to keep the car running safely.

Cars is still getting P0300 (Random/Multi-Cylinder Misfires) code at idle/low speed/throttle. However now there are no longer any misfire codes or blinking CELs when driving. At idle, you can hear the pops/burps in the exhaust - don't know if this is just because of the large injectors (48LBS/550cc) or because of some other problem. We've already replaced 2 coils whose resistance was a little out of range. We also replaced the MAF with a 2K/2K1 one (with the thermosistor swap). We've also tried stock platinum plugs and 1-step colder iridiums. Stock gap and smaller gap. No difference. Right now, I'm running the Irridiums at about 0.035 gap, which I don't know if it is small enough. The "bogging" sensation I get in 3/4 gears could either be mixture too rich or the spark blowing out.

Anyone have any ideas on the P0300 at idle, toss 'em out for us.

Next steps:

1. Hardwire my passport 8500
2. Change gap to 0.028 - anyone have any better gap size?
3. Dyno tune for a good tune on the SS.
4. Possibly sending out the injectors to RC for flow testing/cleaning/blueprinting to see if maybe an injector is causing the misfires at idle.
5. Possibly replacing remaining 4 coils.
6. Installing a 3" Cattman cat and catback system.
7. Smokin' all yo' azzes!
Old 09-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
Any videos/sound files?
No.

..... plus we need pictures, plus I stand corrected that every KIT you can buy out there for a Maxima is a big POS. Ghetto engineering at its best.
You can see pics throughout this thread. As for it being a POS kit or ghetto engineered, again, see the pics and you can see this is not the case. 400CHP at 8.5 PSI... let's see some POS/Ghetto kit do this...

Existing turbo kits that are out for 5th gens are POS kits, every single one of them has something wrong in its design
Edit: Also, any car that isn't specifically manufactured with a turbo is going to have compromises in their design. Nothing new about that, and no matter how good an aftermarket kit is, there are still compromises.

Originally Posted by danger300z
any plans on adding water methanol???
No. Was thinking about adding my NX NO2 kit, but I figure once I hit 400 whp, there's not really any need...
Old 09-27-2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by HNDA ETR
Attended a Maxima meet here in SoCal and Tony gave some guys a ride in the car.... They all seemed pretty impressed
6 flags magic mountain doesn't feel like nothing anymore...
Old 09-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Thinks he is fast

You should put the NOS back in there and use it to cool the intercooler. I always thought that was a great way of making power, decreasing the temp of the intake charge and we all know how hot compressed turbo air can get. I saw something online about a cryogenic kit that does the same thing but for less they debuted at SEMA a few years back, great idea. Good luck on this I went to their website and it certainly looks like they have their **** together. The kits on their other cars look so clean I wish I could afford to add some boost.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maxspeedse02
You should put the NOS back in there and use it to cool the intercooler. I always thought that was a great way of making power, decreasing the temp of the intake charge and we all know how hot compressed turbo air can get. I saw something online about a cryogenic kit that does the same thing but for less they debuted at SEMA a few years back, great idea. Good luck on this I went to their website and it certainly looks like they have their **** together. The kits on their other cars look so clean I wish I could afford to add some boost.

SHHHH!!! Don't tell anyone about that! It's my idea, damnit!

I just gotta wait for my turbo install first...
Old 09-27-2005, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by HNDA ETR
No.

You can see pics throughout this thread. As for it being a POS kit or ghetto engineered, again, see the pics and you can see this is not the case. 400CHP at 8.5 PSI... let's see some POS/Ghetto kit do this...
Well I wasn't reffering to the SFR kit, that kit looks VERY nice. Its not ghetto. I am talking bout the kits that you can buy through turbokits.com for Maximas. As for the comment bout cars that didn't come with a OEM turbo compromising stuff, I dont know some of the 350Z kits look very nice, even home grown turbo kits for VH45DEs look better than the kits I mentioned you can buy from turbokits.com.

I really like the way the kit looks on your car, and it has state of the art welds plus parts used to complete it unlike some other kits I seen- including the SC kit for the 3L.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:21 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

I really like the way the kit looks on your car, and it has state of the art welds plus parts used to complete it unlike some other kits I seen- including the SC kit for the 3L.
**** you. my welds are nice.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:35 PM

Yeah but what bout allllll those belt problems ? Thats what I'm getting at NA is good enough for me, if I want more speed I got a Q45 that I'm gonna try to twin turbo. 4.5L of V8 RWD power in a total sleeper sedan.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:40 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

The one belt prob that I had sucked, but I will not ***** his thread with my drivel.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:31 PM
RR5

Wow what a ride, read through all 13 pages. I can only dream of getting a kit for my 2002 auto. I'd even consider donating my maxima for the project. I've always thought anything a manual can do, an automatic can match. (Within limits of $$$ and work)

-Any updates or did this go stale for 2-3 months?
Old 03-11-2006, 02:35 PM

just checking in on this modification.

CHecked SSR website no updates.

what is going on
Old 03-11-2006, 05:57 PM

That is true. Why don't they advertise what they do for maximas?
Old 03-11-2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by rchun08
just checking in on this modification.

CHecked SSR website no updates.

what is going on
Roy's car runs, last I heard... and to date, I've yet to see SSR come through with anything for us.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:36 PM

Wow I wonder how I totally missed this thread? Man I hope all is well with this project. I would like to get a Super charger or a turbo in the near future. So I hope this works out.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:48 PM
still brewin'

no project status updates from 9/05 till present!
Hope the project hasn't turned into: Start -> <- Finish.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:21 PM
Hoooper

tell ssr to stop the turbo project and just design a supercharger kit for us. seems like a much easier install and doesnt need some emanage to make it run right

Old 03-12-2006, 08:33 PM

spoke with ssr-engineering and they told me they do not plan on making any mass production of kits for our car because the demand is nowhere near any profitable margin. hndaeater car did not allow them to jig the setup so they cant even copy it...

they just do custom stuff now...except for those ones that are in high demand..

i will ask them about supercharger stuff
Old 03-13-2006, 11:07 PM

Everyone i know that has run or tried to run the emanage has had issues..

Interesting to see that you got the turbo kit working. Have you looked into the Haltech e6k? I heard lots of good things.

I am suprised the heat is not an issue at 8.5psi. Have u upgraded to a oil cooler kit? If not i would suggest it b/c the extra heat generated by the turbo can cause your heads to leak oil.

About the poping noise at idle..you are probly running to rich..i expereiced that same probelm when tuning a Mazda protege turbo. We were using the SMT-6. Larger injectors will need leaning out during idle..

Good luck with the turbo kit..
Old 03-14-2006, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by rchun08
spoke with ssr-engineering and they told me they do not plan on making any mass production of kits for our car because the demand is nowhere near any profitable margin. hndaeater car did not allow them to jig the setup so they cant even copy it...

they just do custom stuff now...except for those ones that are in high demand..

i will ask them about supercharger stuff
Maybe if there price was not 7,000 it might be in high demand.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:31 PM

So I take it that this thread is slowly dying now that ssr is not really making this kit unless we go and ask for a custom job..?? and what would that run.. Cause in that case i'll go to speed n sound in yonkers and ask my man angel to figure out a turbo setup for me..