5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

DDE Problem - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 08:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

DDE Problem - HELP

One of my DDE light rings is not working. Has anyone experienced premature failure of their rings?

My initial problems were that the rings were intermittantly dim. I traced that problem to bad power ballasts which were replaced for free. Immediately upon installation of the new ballasts 3 of the rings work fine but one of the rings is not working at all. I have checked and re-checked all connections and have even switched the ballasts around to confirm the problem is with the ring. I just cannot imagine ring failing so quickly, it was probably only actually on for about 30 minutes.

Thanks...
Old 02-19-2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by CRBWS6
One of my DDE light rings is not working. Has anyone experienced premature failure of their rings?

My initial problems were that the rings were intermittantly dim. I traced that problem to bad power ballasts which were replaced for free. Immediately upon installation of the new ballasts 3 of the rings work fine but one of the rings is not working at all. I have checked and re-checked all connections and have even switched the ballasts around to confirm the problem is with the ring. I just cannot imagine ring failing so quickly, it was probably only actually on for about 30 minutes.

Thanks...
Maybe you cracked the ring somewhere or the connection between the ballast and the ring is not good.

Mine work fine
Old 02-19-2005, 11:27 PM
Bigger than Jesus

Thanks...

This never happened to me but it's probably just a defective ring. You should contact Umintza directly.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:05 AM
I miss the .org!

Yes I have. Make sure the ring is at fault then contact Umnitza DIRECTLY. He will help you out.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Yes I have. Make sure the ring is at fault then contact Umnitza DIRECTLY. He will help you out.
OK, thanks. Anyone else exerience problems with the rings; just trying to get a feel for how common this is.

I hadnt heard of anyone having probs with the actual rings...but it sounds like i am not the only one. It is weird that the things worked fine originally....but only during the very initial test. The thing that sux, is having to bake the headlights again!!!!!!! What a PITA.

Triple8Sol: Did you have any problems removing the ring from the housing, ie due the fact that it was 90-sec epoxied on (i assume)? I hope that it just kind of snaps off. Also, did unnitza take care of the ring at their expense??? So far, they took care of me on the ballasts, so happy there. I want to do the swap during a single baking, rather than bake, remove ring, send ring in, get new ring, bake again....hopefully they work with me.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:37 AM

OK, thanks. Anyone else exerience problems with the rings; just trying to get a feel for how common this is.

I hadnt heard of anyone having probs with the actual rings...but it sounds like i am not the only one. It is weird that the things worked fine originally....but only during the very initial test. The thing that sux, is having to bake the headlights again!!!!!!! What a PITA.

Triple8Sol: Did you have any problems removing the ring from the housing, ie due the fact that it was 90-sec epoxied on (i assume)? I hope that it just kind of snaps off. Also, did unnitza take care of the ring at their expense??? So far, they took care of me on the ballasts, so happy there. I want to do the swap during a single baking, rather than bake, remove ring, send ring in, get new ring, bake again....hopefully they work with me.
Call them, they will send you a new one or 4 like they did for me, and then you can send it back or throw it out. (see what they tell you.)
Old 02-20-2005, 04:25 PM
I miss the .org!

I had a burnt out ring when I 1st got the kit. Now one burnt out a couple months ago. I got the replacement shortly thereafter, but haven't had time to go in and put in the new one. Not sure how difficult that'll be, although I used clear silicone and not epoxy...
Old 02-21-2005, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
I had a burnt out ring when I 1st got the kit. Now one burnt out a couple months ago. I got the replacement shortly thereafter, but haven't had time to go in and put in the new one. Not sure how difficult that'll be, although I used clear silicone and not epoxy...
I used crazyglue.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
I used crazyglue.
I used the 90-sec epoxy by super-glue (which is probably very similar in hold to crazyglue) and i have noticed that one of the rings has already come unglued at the connection point at the bottom of the ring. So, i am hopeful that the top 2 connection points will pop off easily. But, if these rings have a tendency to fail all the time, i dont want to have to be using my oven more for cooking headlights than my wife does for actual food
Old 02-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Pointy Elbows

One of my rings is really dim compared to the others. Sometimes when it warms up a bit, it turns bright again.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by 00MaxSE
One of my rings is really dim compared to the others. Sometimes when it warms up a bit, it turns bright again.
That was my initial problem.....and replacement power ballasts fixed it. I just sent the orig ones back to umnitza returns (see their website) and they sent me new ones free. Man, time wise, these rings have been my most difficult mod
Old 02-21-2005, 04:33 PM

Same problem here...

Hey guys,

You may remember I had the same problem about two months ago when I installed my DDEs. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=367533 I've got pics there. Still haven't had a chance to take the lights back out and check out the problem. (I've been at school.) Hopefully I'll be able to check it out soon and that it's just a problem with the wiring. I REALLY don't want to think about having to remove the ring from the light if it is bad. I'm already pissed enough that I have to reopen the light to clean the marks from condensation, which I didn't think I originally had.

-Brian