5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Highflow cat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 10:00 AM

Highflow cat?

should i buy a high flow cat with the cattman exhust?

also where can i buy a high flow cat? any name brands?

i have cattman headers installed right now. how much more HP will i get from adding the mods listed above?
Old 02-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Wat

yes, warpspeed metal substrate....headers are ~25-30whp
Old 02-21-2005, 10:50 AM

yes i know headers give me 20 30 hp.

but what about the highflow cat/cattman catback exhaust

how much hp will i get out of that?

does warpspeed have a site? if so send me the link
Old 02-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Wat

www.warpspeedperformance.com

the catback...~5-8hp
Old 02-21-2005, 11:19 AM

so does the hiflow cat even give any hp gains?

why should i get the hiflow cat if it does nothing for me
Old 02-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cattman have a new hiflow cat out. I bought one. It's not installed but the quality looks great. Chromed, it's a shame it's under the car He said it gives about 15whp. E-mail him or PM him, I think his username is simply "Cattman".
Old 02-21-2005, 11:23 AM

nice i was gonna ask if cattman made a high flow cat but i havnt seen anyone mention it on the board
Old 02-21-2005, 01:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JClaw
Cattman have a new hiflow cat out. I bought one. It's not installed but the quality looks great. Chromed, it's a shame it's under the car He said it gives about 15whp. E-mail him or PM him, I think his username is simply "Cattman".
A high flow cat alone gives 15 whp???

Is it just me? Or does everyone think this is possible? I hafta call unless I see a good explanation or some dynos or something.... I can't (and this may be due to my lack of knowledge) see how a high flow cat can free up 15 whp... even straight/test pipes don't get gains like that....
Old 02-21-2005, 01:51 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

i could see it if the cat was clogged with a towel then dynoed against a high flow cat. i hope i sense some sarcasm from jclaw. if it did give 15hp and was as simple to replace as a cat is, dont you think it would cost a lot more. 15hp @ the wheels is more than y pipe will put on a manual cali spec. more reasonable assumption would be 2-3 in upper rpms if the rest of the exhaust was opened up and more gains if boost was involved.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Cletus

it will not give me 15whp...5 max. but does have a nice sound (see sig)
Old 02-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Wat

I dynoed before and after...it was about 10whp.....but my cat was fuct. My best guess, it is prob about 3-5 across the board when combined with headers. Otherwise maybe 1
Old 02-21-2005, 03:35 PM

i have cattman headers already...

how much more HP will i get from a highflow cat and cattman cat-back exhauset?

about 10 additional HP... does that sound right?
Old 02-21-2005, 03:39 PM
southernrednik

i wouldnt waste ur $$. nissan cats are very free flowing

Old 02-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by southernrednik
i wouldnt waste ur $$. nissan cats are very free flowing

Not enough for headers, also they melt at the exhaust temps these generate.

Deltron: i know that.... I already said maybe 5-8hp
Old 02-21-2005, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
A high flow cat alone gives 15 whp???

Is it just me? Or does everyone think this is possible? I hafta call unless I see a good explanation or some dynos or something.... I can't (and this may be due to my lack of knowledge) see how a high flow cat can free up 15 whp... even straight/test pipes don't get gains like that....
I doubt you will get 5WHP out of that. DON'T buy into the high flow cat BS. Besides the fact you are breaking a federal law by swapping out a perfectly good cat before 80K miles (if it applies) you will be wasting your money. For the LAST TIME STOCK CATS FLOW AS GOOD AS AFTERMARKET CATS. WE ARE NOT STILL IN THE 80s people. I expect in the next 10 years the catback will be obsolete also because stock catbacks are flowing almost as good at aftermarket ones now. Buy headers and ECU. Those are biggest 2 gains for the max. All other mods will nickel and dime you to death for very little results.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:34 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

i should have been more clear. my remarks were aimed at high flow cats but the numbers i was stating was geared towards a testpipe. i realize our stock cat flow well unless they have a problem but it is not going to flow as well as a testpipe. i wanted all restrictions from my exhaust aside from the stock muffler. i got a warpspeed testpipe for 40 shipped and have been pretty happy with it. it takes all of 15 minutes to swap it out for the real cat and pass emissions that i have once a year.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by mdloops
I doubt you will get 5WHP out of that. DON'T buy into the high flow cat BS. Besides the fact you are breaking a federal law by swapping out a perfectly good cat before 80K miles (if it applies) you will be wasting your money. For the LAST TIME STOCK CATS FLOW AS GOOD AS AFTERMARKET CATS. WE ARE NOT STILL IN THE 80s people. I expect in the next 10 years the catback will be obsolete also because stock catbacks are flowing almost as good at aftermarket ones now. Buy headers and ECU. Those are biggest 2 gains for the max. All other mods will nickel and dime you to death for very little results.
actually no.....the stock cat will flow almost as much as the high flow, that is until it melts. Im so sick of people who havent done any testing or research just spewing information that they know nothing about. his stock cat will work fine for ~3 weeks, then watch the power fall off as it melts.

Also, the law is 50k before you can remove the cat (unless its damaged).
Old 02-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by sloppymax
i should have been more clear. my remarks were aimed at high flow cats but the numbers i was stating was geared towards a testpipe. i realize our stock cat flow well unless they have a problem but it is not going to flow as well as a testpipe. i wanted all restrictions from my exhaust aside from the stock muffler. i got a warpspeed testpipe for 40 shipped and have been pretty happy with it. it takes all of 15 minutes to swap it out for the real cat and pass emissions that i have once a year.

you two are talking about two COMPLETELY different things. He has an 02/03 and you have an 01. The parts are very different, as are the exhaust systems....so the effects from mods will affect each system differently.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:31 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by E55AMG2
you two are talking about two COMPLETELY different things. He has an 02/03 and you have an 01. The parts are very different, as are the exhaust systems....so the effects from mods will affect each system differently.
i realize we are talking about two different parts but what i am saying the test pipe is a better way to go. how would having a 02 with headers and an 01 with headers affect the cat any differently? the 3.5 doesnt create some additional magical heat that causes cats to fail any faster than it would if it was an 01. you dont see any many 01 cats fail due to this because hardly any 00/01 have headers and the ones that do typically have test pipes. the only reason i replaced my cat is because it was hitting against my exhaust tunnel when i turned hard since my headers moved it slightly towards the passenger side compard to when i just had a y pipe. i was pretty happy with the slight gain i got in upper rpms for $40.
my point is if you want the best flowing piece then get a test pipe. it is cheaper, can be replaced by stock cat in a matter of minutes and has no pieces that can fail (RT cat) or melt (stock cat).
Old 02-21-2005, 05:35 PM

I agree with sloppymax. I feel the difference after installing race cat (similar to test pipe but with resonator). I feel a better acceleration at high RPM.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Wat

i realize we are talking about two different parts but what i am saying the test pipe is a better way to go.
No, its not

how would having a 02 with headers and an 01 with headers affect the cat any differently? the 3.5 doesnt create some additional magical heat that causes cats to fail any faster than it would if it was an 01.
The main difference is that the 02/03 cat convertors are a DIFFERENT part, with DIFFERENT specs. Now, what you are asking yourself is "so what". The answer to that is that the 02/03 convertor is a higher flowing unit, but without any improvement in heat resistance to the elements inside. They simply melt after a short while with the headers. Hell, i melted mine all stock.

my point is if you want the best flowing piece then get a test pipe. it is cheaper, can be replaced by stock cat in a matter of minutes and has no pieces that can fail (RT cat) or melt (stock cat).

WSP metal sub cats dont fail, and test pipes throw off the air/fuel ratios beyond correctable measure. So, in this case, the additional flow would be offset by the power loss due to incorrect air fuel mixtures.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:51 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by E55AMG2
No, its not

The main difference is that the 02/03 cat convertors are a DIFFERENT part, with DIFFERENT specs. Now, what you are asking yourself is "so what". The answer to that is that the 02/03 convertor is a higher flowing unit, but without any improvement in heat resistance to the elements inside. They simply melt after a short while with the headers. Hell, i melted mine all stock.

WSP metal sub cats dont fail, and test pipes throw off the air/fuel ratios beyond correctable measure. So, in this case, the additional flow would be offset by the power loss due to incorrect air fuel mixtures.
how do you figure the test pipe throws off a/f when the 2 o2 sensors monitoring it are upstream? the only other part of the equation is the maf and dont tell me the test pipe influences that as well. when you are WOT, a/f is determined only by the maf. at any other given time, it is a a combo of the 2 primary o2 sensors and the maf.
if you melted yours all stock then why is everyone else on the board not having the same issue? you may have had an defective unit but you cannot tell me everyone with a 2k2/2k3 is going to melt their cat simply because it flows better with no improvements to heat resistance whether it is stock or not. i should be dynoing soon as well as tuning and i will post results of the a/f change from headers on an 01. if you want, ill do one with my stock cat and testpipe.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:16 PM
Wat

how do you figure the test pipe throws off a/f when the 2 o2 sensors monitoring it are upstream?
because the precats are missing with headers.......

if you melted yours all stock then why is everyone else on the board not having the same issue? you may have had an defective unit but you cannot tell me everyone with a 2k2/2k3 is going to melt their cat simply because it flows better with no improvements to heat resistance whether it is stock or not. i should be dynoing soon as well as tuning and i will post results of the a/f change from headers on an 01. if you want, ill do one with my stock cat and testpipe.
Ive melted 3....drive as hard and as much as I do and you will too
Old 02-21-2005, 09:15 PM

Is it me, or has this turned into a really nasty argument?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:17 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by RacertilTheEnd
Is it me, or has this turned into a really nasty argument?
no, now shush
Old 02-21-2005, 10:06 PM
DONE

why spend the money on the test pipe, why not just gut your own cat, it takes one hour and will give the same gains and not cost you a damn thing