5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Auto windows

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 03:52 PM

Auto windows

OK, I love the auto up and down of the driver's window on my max. I hate it that I dont have it on the other windows (mostly the front right). BMWs have had this on at least the front two since the early 90s. I want to put auto up and down on the other window. My question is: what needs to be changed for this to work. I am hoping that it is all in the switch, but I seriously doubt that is the case. I have a feeling that there are sensors in the window so the motor knows when to stop reeling it up or down. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:56 PM
2-Wheelin it...

check the audio forum. there was someone mentioning this that there is a component that is placed in between the motor and the harness. it tricks the ecu into thinking that the key is in the hole and you have it held. in other words, it will go all the way up as if you had the key and turned.
now, if you have an aftermarket alarm, you can simply add a window control module to each pair of windows. i currently have this setup so all 4 windows go down with channel 5 and they go up when i arm.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:05 PM

OK I'm not talking about remote. I just mean on the actual door, where the window switches are.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:10 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by Charliejag
OK I'm not talking about remote. I just mean on the actual door, where the window switches are.
also an added feature. by the way the aftermarket window module is designed, all 4 windows, front and rear, are also auto up and auto done on all 4 switches. actually, there is no way to stop it. the only way is to tap it, auto up or down will engage, and tap it again to stop. passengers may get confused, but you would get used to it within the day.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Charliejag-

Not sure if you know this, but 5.5 gens have Auto on both driver and passenger front windows from the factory. So I guess if you could get a hold of whatever it is that makes it work in the passenger door on a 5.5, that might not be too expensive.

-Brian
Old 02-27-2005, 05:40 PM

Polo, I'm not sure what you are talking about. Can you please explain? What exactly does that module do and how does it modify the switches in the car?

Brian, thanks that is good to know. I just need to figure out what I would need. Like I said, I hope its just the switch but I don't see how that is possible.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:29 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Polo, I'm not sure what you are talking about. Can you please explain? What exactly does that module do and how does it modify the switches in the car?

Brian, thanks that is good to know. I just need to figure out what I would need. Like I said, I hope its just the switch but I don't see how that is possible.
it doesn't do any modification...it just happens to be that when the module gets placed, it controls window automation via the alarm. BUT, since it is powered even when alarm is not in use (normal driving) then any normal signals it receives, it will still function. in our case, the window becomes auto up/down to the touch. each module handles 2 windows, so you need 2 modules for all 4 windows. it works from all doors. complete up/down to the touch. again, the only annoyance is that the only way to stop the window is to tap again. in essence that's just a pulse that's being sent.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:35 PM

2000-2001 I30's have auto up on the passenger side to...
Old 02-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Cletus

its all in the switch...you can feel the click when the auto feature engages. you just need those swtiches for the other windows
Old 02-27-2005, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
its all in the switch...you can feel the click when the auto feature engages. you just need those swtiches for the other windows
but im confused...even if the switch did this, how would the window know to keep going?? that would be kinda cool to have auto rear windows too but i can already roll all the windows down at once as well as the sunroof, cuz i got auto front windows and auto moonroof, so all i need a hand for after that is my rears
Old 02-27-2005, 06:59 PM

i'm not so sure that it's all in the switch.

If, for example, my passenger window is rolled all the way up and I hit "auto up" on the passenger window button on my driver's door, the window will not go anywhere obviously since it's already up, but I will hear a click in the passenger door and then a high pitched electronicy noise for about a second or two and then another small click...almost like a relay is trying to change the window but it's already up. I don't know if this makes any sense, but you get my point.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDu
i'm not so sure that it's all in the switch.

If, for example, my passenger window is rolled all the way up and I hit "auto up" on the passenger window button on my driver's door, the window will not go anywhere obviously since it's already up, but I will hear a click in the passenger door and then a high pitched electronicy noise for about a second or two and then another small click...almost like a relay is trying to change the window but it's already up. I don't know if this makes any sense, but you get my point.
that's a new one
Old 02-27-2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by maxilvr06
that's a new one
Haha, yeah, I was at a loss for words of how to explain that one. That and I'm sitting here trying to get some dynamics homework done at 10:06pm and i'm not making much progress what with the addicting forum and all.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by maxilvr06
but im confused...even if the switch did this, how would the window know to keep going?? that would be kinda cool to have auto rear windows too but i can already roll all the windows down at once as well as the sunroof, cuz i got auto front windows and auto moonroof, so all i need a hand for after that is my rears
thats what im saying...you feel the click which engages the switch which continues to give power to the window motor. it turns back off after the window stops moving and the motor shuts off.

i lower all my windows at the same time too...which is why im developing a way to control all with one switch. im also doing one switch for all interior lights.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:04 PM

thats what im saying...you feel the click which engages the switch which continues to give power to the window motor. it turns back off after the window stops moving and the motor shuts off.

i lower all my windows at the same time too...which is why im developing a way to control all with one switch. im also doing one switch for all interior lights.
All the interior lights? Including lamp? So it would be like an American car where you turn the dimmer up all the way and the lights all go on in the car? That would be awesome, make sure you post about that if you figure it out.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:05 PM

now im gettin it i didnt know thats what the switches did that would be really cool to have all the interior lights come on at once
Old 02-27-2005, 07:15 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by TheBigDu
All the interior lights? Including lamp? So it would be like an American car where you turn the dimmer up all the way and the lights all go on in the car? That would be awesome, make sure you post about that if you figure it out.
yup..dome and both map lights
it always bugs me when im trying to find something and i have to use three switches to see.
its already figured out...in the development stage now. i will post it
Old 02-27-2005, 07:34 PM

If you want it to be like the factory

I think that you have to buy new switches like the one for the passenger side door so that you can put them in the back seat and replace the two switches for the drivers door back seat contols. The front windows are 2 stage click buttons while the rear are only one click. That's why when you press the front window button lightly until it clicks once, auto is not turn on and the window stops going down when you lift off the button. If you push the button all the way down, past the first click, it goes all the way down, even when you let go. The same 2 click thing when going up. The back windows are one click so there is physically nothing to ingage the auto.

Also,
I think I saw read some where that the law requires auto car makers that use the auto up down features have to include the auto reverse sensor (which is probly what the module is inside the door) that senses something in the way when the window is going up in auto mode, and make it go down walf way. The sunroofs that are one touch have to have the auto reverse also.

So you have to buy four new switches and two of electronic to go in the back doors for the auto reverse. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Allenz
I think that you have to buy new switches like the one for the passenger side door so that you can put them in the back seat and replace the two switches for the drivers door back seat contols. The front windows are 2 stage click buttons while the rear are only one click. That's why when you press the front window button lightly until it clicks once, auto is not turn on and the window stops going down when you lift off the button. If you push the button all the way down, past the first click, it goes all the way down, even when you let go. The same 2 click thing when going up. The back windows are one click so there is physically nothing to ingage the auto.

Also,
I think I saw read some where that the law requires auto car makers that use the auto up down features have to include the auto reverse sensor (which is probly what the module is inside the door) that senses something in the way when the window is going up in auto mode, and make it go down walf way. The sunroofs that are one touch have to have the auto reverse also.

So you have to buy four new switches and two of electronic to go in the back doors for the auto reverse. Correct me if I'm wrong.
i was thinking this as well....im sure you would need to buy something besides just the switch for the rears, and you would have to buy two new switches for the drivers door and two for the rear doors..
Old 02-27-2005, 09:21 PM

Dude, you're 16.
Did I miss something here?
Old 02-27-2005, 09:24 PM

I knew it. Does anybody know a Nissan tech (or master tech) that can tell us what part numbers we need? Also whether we would need switches AND modules or just switches.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:33 PM

I knew it. Does anybody know a Nissan tech (or master tech) that can tell us what part numbers we need? Also whether we would need switches AND modules or just switches.
Just get the alarm with modules. I have experience with Clifford and I would recommend it to everyone. All windows are auto with just a tap. If you don't want auto you do it just like normal except there is a slight delay as the module tries to determine what you're doing. To passengers it is as if the windows aren't working because they think the delay means the window lock is on or something. I would just hate to have you buy the new switches and they don't work.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:40 PM

See I don't want an aftermarket alarm. Don't worry, I'm not going to do anything unless I know it will work.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:26 PM

Boy this post is pointless and going from one subject to the alarm remote. But I get what your original question, since I want the same thing done on mine with the passenger side to have auto, that would be really spiffy. I believe it's all in the switches, but let me check with Nissan tech to get the schematics on that.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:43 PM

That would be great, thank you.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:36 PM

Slightly off topic, but is there a way to make the lock-out button only lock out the other switches and not the driver's? On most other cars I've been in the lock out only locks out all the passenger's window controls but the driver's still work. I have to lock the windows when my dog is in the car so she doesn't open the back windows all the way by stepping on the switch, but I would still like the ability to open my own window without first unlocking all the others.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
Boy this post is pointless and going from one subject to the alarm remote. But I get what your original question, since I want the same thing done on mine with the passenger side to have auto, that would be really spiffy. I believe it's all in the switches, but let me check with Nissan tech to get the schematics on that.
It's not all in the switches. The window motor for the factory-installed auto windows includes an encoder and a microprocessor to detect window motion and to implement the auto up/down/reverse logic. The non-auto windows have just a motor.

If you have a burglar alarm that offers the functionality, you would not need the special motors. I'm guessing that the burglar alarm probably has a relay in parallel with the switch, and a timer, to effectively hold the switch closed for long enough to raise or lower the window. Maybe they detect the motor current to avoid holding the motor at stall. This would be more reliable and less stress on the motors, but more costly. Either way it would work with the standard motors and switches.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:30 PM

OK, thanks for everybody's help. I think I'll price those motors out and see if this is at all worth it, which I doubt.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:35 PM

OK, they are 200 bucks each for the motors. It seems the only decent way to do this would be the alarm after all.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:41 PM

I don't know about the Max, but I know on the Lexus GSs it's NOT just the switch that controls the auto up/down feature. You need a different motor that has some different features. I know this is a vague post, but I don't have a GS so I didn't pay much attention. All I know is that in some cars it's more than just the switch. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more to it. Check the part numbers of the drivers and pass side motors to see if they match up. If they don't, you have your answer

EDIT: Nevermind, I see some people have already given an answer. I'll read to the end of the thread next time
Old 02-28-2005, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by PoLo
check the audio forum. there was someone mentioning this that there is a component that is placed in between the motor and the harness. it tricks the ecu into thinking that the key is in the hole and you have it held. in other words, it will go all the way up as if you had the key and turned.
now, if you have an aftermarket alarm, you can simply add a window control module to each pair of windows. i currently have this setup so all 4 windows go down with channel 5 and they go up when i arm.
Wait the windows can go down with the key outside of the car???????
Old 02-28-2005, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by NOCturnalI30
Wait the windows can go down with the key outside of the car???????
I believe that was added on the 2001 models, actually. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but on 2001+ you can raise and lower the front windows from the driver's door lock (with the key). You can also JUST lower the windows from the key fob.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Banned

i believe its only on 2002+ not 01
Old 02-28-2005, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonSE
i believe its only on 2002+ not 01
Sorry, must be thinking of the steering wheel audio controls or something.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

back in '95 you could roll down driver and passenger widow with the keyless remote.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:56 AM

how hard is it to roll down the widows two at a time???