5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: progress springs or tein h-tech's
progress spings
41.56%
tein h-tech
58.44%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

progress springs or tein h-tech's

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 09:58 AM

progress springs or tein h-tech's

I am trying to decide on which set of springs to get. I posted earlier but I did not get enough feedback to make a decision. I just want to see what you guys on the .org think is a better springs overall, looks and ride/comfortability. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:56 AM

Hey,
check out this thread, it might help you out.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=384076

Check this out too:
http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/sp..._decision.html

and this:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=368622
Old 03-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Interesting.... a repost of your own thread... which was a repost too... what additional information do ya expect to gain from starting a new thread? Are ya really gonna go with the springs that have more votes?

Suspension opinions are so subjective... its all based on personal opinions... I honestly think the best way to decide is to set aside some time to try to meet up with some local .Org fellas and check out their set-ups... I'm sure people will be more than willing to have a mini-meet. I really don't think that starting another thread is gonna help ya much more than the other one....
Old 03-01-2005, 11:39 AM

i'm just trying to get as much feedback as possible before i buy a set of springs. that's all
Old 03-01-2005, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by maximillus
i'm just trying to get as much feedback as possible before i buy a set of springs. that's all
I know that... feedback can help ya to a certain point, but the information that you gather has limits, because much of it is based on personal preference and feel..... wouldn't ya think that actually reviewing suspension set-ups in person would help? It was just a suggestion anyways... its your money and your decision.... if ya feel that other people's feedback is enough to make a decision, that's fine with me....
Old 03-01-2005, 11:48 AM

i think your suggestion of meeting up with people is the best way to go but right now i have no time so i just decided to see what other .org members feel on the 2 sets of springs.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:53 AM

i think your suggestion of meeting up with people is the best way to go but right now i have no time so i just decided to see what other .org members feel on the 2 sets of springs.
Gotcha... shoulda said that the first time... all the best with the selection... like I posted in your other thread, those would be my top 2 choices overall anyways, so either one is good... just slightly in favor of Progress cuz its what I have now...
Old 03-01-2005, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Gotcha... shoulda said that the first time... all the best with the selection... like I posted in your other thread, those would be my top 2 choices overall anyways, so either one is good... just slightly in favor of Progress cuz its what I have now...
how is the ride, especially over bumps?
Old 03-01-2005, 07:10 PM

I have h-tech right now...from what I heard from others, progress is more bouncy and H-tech offers better handling. Honestly, progress looks more even...my h-tech setup is not low enough in the rear.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:09 PM

how is the ride, especially over bumps?
On a scale of 1 to 10 with stock being 10... I'd say my Progress/HP set-up is 7.5. Its good for normal driving and highway cruising. It really depends on the roads you travel on... it does get harsh on the larger bumps though, but that may be because I didn't cut my bumpstops.... remember, if ya get Illuminas, you could probably adjust the stiffness settings too. I think the struts just as much, if not more, than the springs....
Old 03-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Kevlo for President

Progress all the way. Nice drop, great ride.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:01 PM

On a scale of 1 to 10 with stock being 10... I'd say my Progress/HP set-up is 7.5. Its good for normal driving and highway cruising. It really depends on the roads you travel on... it does get harsh on the larger bumps though, but that may be because I didn't cut my bumpstops.... remember, if ya get Illuminas, you could probably adjust the stiffness settings too. I think the struts just as much, if not more, than the springs....
I agree, i have progress and illuminas, but i keep the illuminas at the highest setting (5) because i can honestly say i make good use of the stiffness. it can be harsh on some bad roads, but the performance just kills that downfall, feels beautiful on nice roads, and of course if you want to lose some of that stiffness for a better ride say in the winter because of the crappier roads, just tone it down. but i was in your situation for a while and i found progress most satisfying in the sense of ride and ride height, suppose to be the most even, and i'd agree.

-deX
Old 03-02-2005, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Shogunsc4
from what I heard from others, progress is more bouncy and H-tech offers better handling.
puppet and dex, do you guys agree with the bouncyness of the progress springs?
Old 03-02-2005, 02:15 PM

I'd have to disagree, i'm sure the struts definitely come into play too, but whenever it hit bumps my car stays pretty stiff. When i drive around with friends and i'm behind them, they see how my car reacts to the road and you may know what i'm talking about with other lowered cars...how it bounces only a little bit, my friends can see the stiffness just from looking in the rear view mirror. if you know what i'm talking about i love how that looks, and it means i got that performing ride i was looking for.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by dextterity
I'd have to disagree, i'm sure the struts definitely come into play too, but whenever it hit bumps my car stays pretty stiff. When i drive around with friends and i'm behind them, they see how my car reacts to the road and you may know what i'm talking about with other lowered cars...how it bounces only a little bit, my friends can see the stiffness just from looking in the rear view mirror. if you know what i'm talking about i love how that looks, and it means i got that performing ride i was looking for.

aite thanx a lot. i think i'ma go with the progress's
Old 03-02-2005, 02:22 PM

aite thanx a lot. i think i'ma go with the progress's
Sounds good man, enjoy them. just so you know if i were to ever go back and do this all again i wouldn't change a thing
Old 03-02-2005, 08:29 PM

Shogun's comment about Progress springs was overly general... but he's right to a certain degree (unless he meant "harsh" and not "bouncy", and I think the Progress are harsher than the H-Techs), it is slightly bouncy when ya go over say large speed bumps and low speeds... but at normal driving speeds and highway speeds... it feels pretty firm, and this is even with plain vanilla Tokico HPs for me... I'm sure the guys with Illuminas have it tighter and firmer....

I don't have H-Techs and have never ridden in a Maxima with em so I'm not saying anything except I've heard only good things about em too...

There is really no way anyone can comment on the differences between the 2 springs in terms of ride quality and handling, unless they have comparable experiences; ie. ridden in the same/similar car with the 2 different spring set-ups with the exact same struts. Even if so, not many of us have the ability or means to provide an accurate comparison just by taking a couple turns.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:30 PM

I have h-tech right now...from what I heard from others, progress is more bouncy and H-tech offers better handling. Honestly, progress looks more even...my h-tech setup is not low enough in the rear.
Btw Shogun, not sure if I've said this before, I probably have, but I really love your rims...
Old 03-02-2005, 08:54 PM

Every spring is by its very nature, "bouncy". However, if the ride with a given spring is bouncy it's because the strut isn't properly matched to the springs rate. I ran Progress w/ Illuminas on 2/2 and the springs were well controlled. When I dropped the settings to 1/1, the ride became bouncy because the strut had insufficient rebound/damping settings (it was too soft) to control the movement of the spring. It's all about the match, which is why adjustable struts are the safest bet so you can assure the strut's rebound/damping is the proper match for your springs.

Wanna see bouncy on a stock suspension? Go watch Uncle Buck. Why? Fat 'ol John Candy's struts are blown and they can't control the spring's up/down movement.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:13 PM

Btw Shogun, not sure if I've said this before, I probably have, but I really love your rims...
Thanks man.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by housecor
Every spring is by its very nature, "bouncy". However, if the ride with a given spring is bouncy it's because the strut isn't properly matched to the springs rate. I ran Progress w/ Illuminas on 2/2 and the springs were well controlled. When I dropped the settings to 1/1, the ride became bouncy because the strut had insufficient rebound/damping settings (it was too soft) to control the movement of the spring. It's all about the match, which is why adjustable struts are the safest bet so you can assure the strut's rebound/damping is the proper match for your springs.

Wanna see bouncy on a stock suspension? Go watch Uncle Buck. Why? Fat 'ol John Candy's struts are blown and they can't control the spring's up/down movement.
thanks for the comment housecor. i was thinking about just getting the hp's and saving some money but now i'm definilty going to purchase the illumina's
Old 03-17-2005, 07:51 PM

im chiming in kinda late here, and im sorry for somewhat hijacking the thread, but i have to say that shogun, your H-tech's look really good! (as does the rest of your car).

I think that this summer im gonna go with the h-techs on illuminas because of the ride, as well as the handling advantages over many of the other suspension combos out there...cant wait!!
Old 03-17-2005, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by maxilvr06
im chiming in kinda late here, and im sorry for somewhat hijacking the thread, but i have to say that shogun, your H-tech's look really good! (as does the rest of your car).

I think that this summer im gonna go with the h-techs on illuminas because of the ride, as well as the handling advantages over many of the other suspension combos out there...cant wait!!
Thanks for the compliment. Pretty sure you will like the H-tech
Old 05-10-2005, 08:39 AM

OH boy, and I've been waiting from over a month for my H-tech's from the GD. I might just go with Progress if there not here by the end of this week, and hope it not too bouncy.

BTW, how's the body roll on the Progress and H-tech???
Old 05-10-2005, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ghase
OH boy, and I've been waiting from over a month for my H-tech's from the GD. I might just go with Progress if there not here by the end of this week, and hope it not too bouncy.

BTW, how's the body roll on the Progress and H-tech???
Hey Jason... the Progress are a tad bouncy on HPs, and I believe its because they don't damper the springs enough... once I get my Illuminas on I'll let ya know. I'm sure those will be much better and will reduce the bounciness a bit.

As for body roll, even with the HPs, the Progress have nice (ie very little) body roll when cornering.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:01 AM
"tse-tse fly"

Hey Jason... the Progress are a tad bouncy on HPs, and I believe its because they don't damper the springs enough... once I get my Illuminas on I'll let ya know. I'm sure those will be much better and will reduce the bounciness a bit.

As for body roll, even with the HPs, the Progress have nice (ie very little) body roll when cornering.
I agree the progress are a bit bouncy with the Hp's..(my setup) my friend has the s-techs and KYB GTR's and the ride is smooth and not bouncy at all just a lil food for thought...
Old 05-10-2005, 09:16 AM

Housecor said it best in post #19:

Originally Posted by housecor
Old 05-10-2005, 09:18 AM

Joel who is Jason??? LOL LOL I think you mean James or (AKA) Jay. But let me know how that works out for you. And BTW the Headers should be on this weekend.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:21 AM

How well do the Progress take bumps with people in the car, especially the rear???
Old 05-10-2005, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ghase
Joel who is Jason??? LOL LOL I think you mean James or (AKA) Jay. But let me know how that works out for you. And BTW the Headers should be on this weekend.
Sorry man... I knew that... its just automatic that I type Jason these days since there's so many of em around here...

And yeah, my Progress/HPs are bouncy over speed bumps and such, even with people in the back. They're fine on the highway though... really nice actually... its the small to mid-sized bumps at low speeds that are a pain...
Old 05-10-2005, 10:12 AM

You're going to have some kind of "bouncy" problem with any aftermarket spring aren't you? I have progress spring with tokico illuminas set at it's highest setting 5 in the front and rear. This calls for somewhat of a bumpy ride, but mainly on roads which are simply crappy. Otherwise it's nice. Just recently i bought 18x8 wheels with 235/40 geforce tires at 42psi and i can say with people in the car it is very bumpy compared to what it was like with my stock 16s. The thing is though, i was told by several people before i bought the springs that they aren't as stiff/rough of a ride as h&r and eibach. I'm considering dropping my psi to 40, i started with 35 and it wasn't that bad, but the tread on the side was going to wear faster than the top of the tire.

Anyway that's kind of getting too far. Honestly overall I love my progress springs, very even drop (front and rear are the same small gap) and about body roll. About a week ago i was driving with a friend, he was behind me with his slk 230 and saw me going down a ramp that was a big circle. I was taking it pretty hard trying out my new sticky tires. And my other friend who was a passanger in the slk told me over a 2way radio that i had no body roll at all and i looked sick going around the corner. Made me happy heh.

well good luck on whoever is still trying to decide on what they want, I was reading up all over the place before i bought my struts/springs

-deX
Old 06-15-2005, 01:04 PM

isn't 40 too high.....i thought it's supposed to be low 30s....

i WOULD go progress but i feel like my 150lbs of junk in the trunk will eventually make my rear perched a little lower than the front (which is the exact opposite of what i want). I figure with the htech stance, it gives me some breathing room, especially cuz I plan on moving up to 12's
Old 06-16-2005, 09:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I agree..I would go with the Progressive springs....they feel great but like some of the other guys have said with any aftermarket springs your car is gonna be a little more bouncy than stock so be sure that you understand that before buying them. With Tokico Illumia's, the car feels amazing unless your driving on ****y roads
Old 02-16-2006, 07:06 PM

I am trying to decide on which set of springs to get. I posted earlier but I did not get enough feedback to make a decision. I just want to see what you guys on the .org think is a better springs overall, looks and ride/comfortability. Thanks!
Be carefully with whatever set-up you use for lowering your car because the roads in philly suck. Not to get off topic but, they have the worse pot holes that I know. Be careful.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Sports Button FTW

h tech has a pretty good ride, especially sitting on illumina's at stiffest settings. When i first put it on it looked good but i wasnt completely happy cause i didnt feel it was low enough. AFter settling, the look got a lot better. Atfirst i wish i got progress instead but now i'm very happy with my h tech. I dont know if there is really a big difference between the two in handling but i think the biggest difference comes in looks. If you want to have a more even drop or just REALLY look like u r dropped, get progress. If you are concerned with the roads in your area and want a nice drop, go with h tech. I went for h tech cause of my concern with the roads in my area. But either way is a good choice...
Old 07-10-2006, 02:21 PM
retired moderator

Progess = too bouncy
H-techs = too soft
Eibachs = just right.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
Progess = too bouncy
H-techs = too soft
Eibachs = just right.
Sounds like the beds of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears"! Hey I just read that story to my kid last night. Don't forget Vogtlands
Old 07-10-2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
Progess = too bouncy
H-techs = too soft
Eibachs = just right.
If progress springs were too bouncy i'd hate to go to anything harder, i have illuminas with progress springs and there is no bounce, I'd be curious to feel the diff between my progress and eibachs with illuminas, but i definitely like hte look of progress better anything lower than progress is no good IMO.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:59 AM
REXXX

I just switched out my H-techs for some Progress springs this past weekend.. I felt that the H-techs were a comfy ride (even in nyc), but I felt they could be stiffer.. I didnt cut my bumpstops at all and teh front would bottom out every so often.. Overall, I was happy with how they handled with my illuminas set to 3F,3R however I felt that the stance was too unbalanced for my eye and that was constantly buggin me (drop = 1.6F, 1.0R).. So when i recently threw the progress on, the drop not only looked much better, but the the ride was indeed stiffer and more controlled.. but not to the point where I would call it harsh. I now have my illuminas set to 3F,4R with all bumpstops cut ~1/3" and the max handles like a beast.. By the way, I'm rollin on 245/35/19 around NYC and I'm good.. Belt Pkwy, Jackie Rob Pkwy, FDR Drive, West Side Hwy, Hutchinson, Major Deegan Expwy, Cross Bronx (etc.) ALL DAY
Old 11-09-2006, 09:25 PM

I agree also, im riding on Progress and illuminas and its the most comfy ride, especially handling wise. who cares about other set ups

Quick Reply: progress springs or tein h-tech's