5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need help, what is a good replacement muffler for 03 Max?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 09:27 PM

Need help, what is a good replacement muffler for 03 Max?

Hey guys,
I was looking at my exhaust today and I noticed that the muffler is rusting out already. What would be a good replacement for it? I was thinking of just cutting out everything from the cat back, eliminating the B pipe, custom bending the pipe and just adding a flowmaster or something similiar in a stanless model. I do not want something high in sound, but I do not mind a little growl. Something you dont really hear until you go WOT.

Any suggestions please?

Cliffs: Need a muffler, no rice, not loud but a little bark at WOT.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2005, 09:35 AM

Help a brother out
Old 03-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

there are about 800+ threads on this, just look around....
Old 03-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Seoul Man

1. You want to replace everything rear of the cat.
2. You don't want it to be very loud.
3. You want a nice growl and a good sound at WOT.
4. You don't want the total setup to be affordable.
5. You want quality parts and workmanship.

Have you considered the Frankencar catback exhaust? It's one of the quieter aftermarket exhausts available for our cars, and it costs $450 if you order it new from Frankencar. The Cattman exhaust is also nice, but it's not AS quiet, and it costs more. The Greddy Evo exhaust is also fairly expensive, and it is louder than the Frankencar.

http://www.frankencar.com/products/5...aust/index.htm

You might be able to put together a custom catback for less than the $450 cost of the Frankencar, but a quality name brand aftermarket muffler usually costs $150-200, and then there's the cost of the rest of the piping and the labor to put it all together. The Frankencar catback can't cost MUCH more than that.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:11 AM

if its that you can do a 2in all the way back, I guess thatll work
Old 03-19-2005, 12:52 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=368622

And I have a Frankencar... love it... looks great, sounds great, fits perfectly...
Old 03-19-2005, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by spiromax
1. You want to replace everything rear of the cat.
2. You don't want it to be very loud.
3. You want a nice growl and a good sound at WOT.
4. You don't want the total setup to be affordable.
5. You want quality parts and workmanship.

Have you considered the Frankencar catback exhaust? It's one of the quieter aftermarket exhausts available for our cars, and it costs $450 if you order it new from Frankencar. The Cattman exhaust is also nice, but it's not AS quiet, and it costs more. The Greddy Evo exhaust is also fairly expensive, and it is louder than the Frankencar.

http://www.frankencar.com/products/5...aust/index.htm

You might be able to put together a custom catback for less than the $450 cost of the Frankencar, but a quality name brand aftermarket muffler usually costs $150-200, and then there's the cost of the rest of the piping and the labor to put it all together. The Frankencar catback can't cost MUCH more than that.
Well I got a guy who works weekends just doing custom exhaust so I do not want to spend the money on a bolt on cat back. I just need to buy the muffler and he will custom bend everything else. In trade I will detail his work truck. Rather spend $200 on a muffler and a some nice exhaust tips than $450 for a bolt on. But I appreciate the effort.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:44 PM

i did the same thing as u want to. i have a megnaflow muffler looks similar to ours stock. its was a little loud with out the b pipe no i have a b pipe sounds great.but i think its cause i have headers and y pipe. so i would suggest this muffler for a cat back i think u would like it.

here it is.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=756

sorry forgot how to add it so u just click. check it out i think its what youre looking for also online its like 2 or 300$ i got it for 150 at my muffler guy so see if youre buddy can get it cheeper as a mechanic.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:49 PM

Looks nice... very classy... got any sound clips, Kid?
Old 03-19-2005, 03:56 PM

Yeah thanks kid!
Old 03-19-2005, 03:59 PM

Oh man that sucker is way expensive.
I was thinking about this one:
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/cg...ml?id=SfAfsmKg
Old 03-19-2005, 05:51 PM

yes i know they are expencive online but if u go to a muffler guy or a shop were they can get parts you should be able to pick it up for 200$ or less. my muffler guy who at the time didnt know me very well got it for me for 150$ he doesnt add to much to what he gets it for so i guess i made out there. but like i said check around u should be able to pick it up for about 200$ or less. i will try to get a sound clip asap but my car is in the shop for a new tranny (not my falt lol) so u guys can here it hopefully next week. i will promise this tho if u get it u will not be disapointed and i think u will love it to death. but if u dont want it its ok that makes me rare with one lol good luck.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by The Kid
yes i know they are expencive online but if u go to a muffler guy or a shop were they can get parts you should be able to pick it up for 200$ or less. my muffler guy who at the time didnt know me very well got it for me for 150$ he doesnt add to much to what he gets it for so i guess i made out there. but like i said check around u should be able to pick it up for about 200$ or less. i will try to get a sound clip asap but my car is in the shop for a new tranny (not my falt lol) so u guys can here it hopefully next week. i will promise this tho if u get it u will not be disapointed and i think u will love it to death. but if u dont want it its ok that makes me rare with one lol good luck.
Is this the one that you have? This I can see paying for.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33636
So it doesnt sound ricey? How loud compared to OEM? How much gains in power are you getting? Do you have a B pipe or did you get rid of it?
Thanks Kid.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Kid
i did the same thing as u want to. i have a megnaflow muffler looks similar to ours stock. its was a little loud with out the b pipe no i have a b pipe sounds great.but i think its cause i have headers and y pipe. so i would suggest this muffler for a cat back i think u would like it.

here it is.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=756

sorry forgot how to add it so u just click. check it out i think its what youre looking for also online its like 2 or 300$ i got it for 150 at my muffler guy so see if youre buddy can get it cheeper as a mechanic.
HP B pipe or stock?
Old 03-19-2005, 11:10 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Cattman
Old 03-20-2005, 07:33 AM

Kid where you at!
Old 03-20-2005, 12:28 PM

yes thats the one go for it great price. well like i said i have headers and y pipe with the main cat. so mines louder i didnt have a b pipe at first and yes little rice but now i have a b pipe from my muffler guy cheep 18 doller one works like a charm. its loud (growl) at wot but normal driving nice growl especially at start up and idal sounds great ull love it. now how load will it be with stock stuff on it probably a little loader then stock with b pipe. with out i d k but i dought it will sound ricy with stock headers and y pipe hope this helps i will send a sound clip next weekend when i get the car back good luck.
any thing else pm me or ill keep checking the tred all day
Old 03-20-2005, 12:45 PM

ok i know u may think iam wrong but i can get u close. go to the magnaflow site http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/04sport.asp and with my computer sound the closest i can say it sounds like is the g35 coupe on there.now the g35 doesnt have the same muffler so its not exact but its kinda close. mines a deeper sound but go check it out and tell me what u think. if u want email me or pm me and i will give u my number and on friday i should have my car u can give me a call and ill start it up i must say sounds great ive had tons of complaments and it was just by phone so if u want i can do that good luck.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:08 PM

i just wanted to mension that the muffler is totaly freeflow so its gunna breath better plus both tips will have exhaust unlike the stock were we have to wait till 2000 rpms lol good luck.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:37 PM

Hey thanks for the info! My man concern is noise as I am 29 and a business man. I take clients in my car occiasionally and cannot have it sound like a little kids car. I am willing to sacrafice a little noise for some performance. I think that I will keep the stock B pipe unless there is something else like a high performance B pipe that will not increase sound. I will PM you my # later this week. Thanks again Kid.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:31 PM

See I just listened and it still sounds kida ricey on the G35. The 350z sounds a bit better.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:11 PM

see i thought the 350 z sounded more ricy then the g35 but it could be my comp i was just trying to give an example. mine has a deep sound that sounds good yes mines proplable a little load for youre taste but i have headers and y pipe. in the car sounds great. now for u i would say keep the stock b pipe but get some thicker pipeing i have 2 1/4 and its perfect there are now bends like u would see on ours stock especially by the b pipe theres a huge crip in the pipe that definitly need to be cut and a thicker pipe needs to be on there for performance. i have to say i think with new pipeing and the stock b pipe u really wont be load maybe on wot but thats it nice rumble. also if u havent (only if u run 90 or higher octane) get youre timming to 17 when i did that it quieted the car down evan more pluse some nice power i can feel well there u have it anything else let me know. also when just ideling with the car warm u would think my exhaust is stock and i have all those mods on it so ull be fine.