5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: So which looks better?
Stock - Drop looks ghetto or unnatural
10.61%
Drop - More aggressive and even
86.32%
Dunno. They look the same to me.
3.07%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Drop vs. Stock - A decision in pictures. New pics posted...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by tothemax319

The sterling mist Max on the left looks like it has "Shift on the fly 4wd" capabilities.

..Go low
The stock ride looks like its floating, ready to haul azz. Where as the lowered car looks like it is ready just to go cruising or perhaps race on a track where there are not imperfections on the road to worry about. So "let it shift on the fly" and not worry about the things someone with a lowered ride as to worry about all the time while driving. DONT GET ME WRONG, it looks better but for functionality my vote is stock.

EXCELLENT THREAD!
Old 03-23-2005, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by My_first_maxima
Granted you have a nice looking MAX, very nice in fact. BUT......there are many associated problems and things you have to look out for when you lower your car like yours. Railroads for instance, im sure you almost get to stop before you pass over one, you probably avoid "known bumps" in the road too, and you know if you pull to far up in a parking spot you may damage your front bumper. One added disadvantage as well is if you need your car towed, most definately you will get damage from the tow truck trying to get it up on the flat bed or on the rear for being so low. Yes it looks awesome but I wouldn't sacrifice the stock ride for all those extra headaches in which there may be other headaches as well. Oh i would love your ride but only if I have another one with the regular height for long distance rides and out of town trips.

Looks awesome, great job but my vote is for the stock ride!

Thank you for the comments, granted there are alot of headaches associated with being as low as my car, which is why i chose coilovers. If i get sick of it i just raise it up
Old 03-23-2005, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by chris'smax
Thank you for the comments, granted there are alot of headaches associated with being as low as my car, which is why i chose coilovers. If i get sick of it i just raise it up
Call me dumb but is that what coil-overs allow you to do? How much can you raise it from the lowered look you have right now? What set up do you have and how much was it?
THANKS
JIM

Now you got me thinking about it.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Need A Light?

Chris, what are toser coilovers? Never heard of them....where did you get them and how is the ride on those? does it have seperate height adjustment?

all I have to say is...daamn your **** is slammed!
Old 03-23-2005, 07:32 PM

I've got h_tech's and found it to be an awsome balance between looks and comfort
Old 03-23-2005, 08:30 PM

the drop looks sweet. on a side note, steven88, what kind of suspension setup do u have on your car. looks pretty low.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:39 PM
kickazzthug

DROP IT LIKE ITS HOT

I love the eliminated wheel gap. even though i just lowered my ride i cant stop looking at it the difference is very noticable

Old 03-24-2005, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by steven88
Chris, what are toser coilovers? Never heard of them....where did you get them and how is the ride on those? does it have seperate height adjustment?

all I have to say is...daamn your **** is slammed!

To be honest i wish i could tell you what the company was. I think 3 guys(including myself) were able to swipe these up off of ebay for $700. I could be wrong but i think we are the only ones in the U.S. with them . They are designed exactly like the JIC's and D2's and are 16 way adjustable. They are JDM and made for the cefiro. The box and directions were nothing but japaneese writing which made for a fun install. I have tried to gather info on them and from what i gather the company must have went under. They ride very good even on these rough a$$ louisiana roads. My only complaint is they have a high spring rate.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by My_first_maxima
Call me dumb but is that what coil-overs allow you to do? How much can you raise it from the lowered look you have right now? What set up do you have and how much was it?
THANKS
JIM

Now you got me thinking about it.

Basically it is a strut and spring combo where the spring rest on a collar. This collar is screwed up and down a shaft via a wrench and this in turn allows the car to be raised and lowered. The struts are also adjustable for softness settings. If i wanted i could raise the car all the way to stock height, but i would never do that
Old 03-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I do like the lowered Max as it looks more aggressive. I do have a question to anyone out there... I recently lowered my 2000 Max SE with Eibach springs and GR2s with Progress RSB... I love the ride; however, I've noticed that the driver side is a tad bit lower than the passenger side. Is this my imagination? Or is this common to some and what have you done to correct this.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RY2KMax
I do like the lowered Max as it looks more aggressive. I do have a question to anyone out there... I recently lowered my 2000 Max SE with Eibach springs and GR2s with Progress RSB... I love the ride; however, I've noticed that the driver side is a tad bit lower than the passenger side. Is this my imagination? Or is this common to some and what have you done to correct this.
I'd suggest losing weight. j/k I'm sure someone here can answer that.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Uneven side to side ride height is a pretty common problem which was documented in a separate thread. Many found their stock Maximas were this way. It's likely attributed to the springs slightly different positions on the perch and variance in spring stiffness as part of the manufacturing process. My stock front springs are clearly stiffer than others since my front end is around .5" higher than average. I'd say nothing to worry about.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:28 PM
vsamoylov

my drivers side got higher when i swapped from auto to stickshift.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:40 PM

housecor, what struts are you on? i'm assuming its not stock
Old 03-24-2005, 04:36 PM
drag racing is for wussies

With JIC FTLA2s you can raise the car so high that it looks like a friggn Audi ALL ROAD, I messed with it the other day :P I dropped the car so low that I might just raise it up a little bit once I put on my SSR Type C 18s.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by nyautostyle
housecor, what struts are you on? i'm assuming its not stock
In the photos above I was on Illuminas with Progress. I'm now rolling with H&R's on the front only with stock struts. There's a recent thread on this setup.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:17 AM
Bandwagon Lover

Eibach comparison:

Old 03-25-2005, 07:16 AM

can someon clarify something for me?

housecor has maxspeeds listed as a 1.4 drop in the front, the FAQ has it listed as 1.7 drop in the front? What is correct???
Old 03-25-2005, 07:40 AM
is invisible

The drop makes the car look smaller.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
housecor has maxspeeds listed as a 1.4 drop in the front, the FAQ has it listed as 1.7 drop in the front? What is correct???
I am.

http://www.matrixracing.com/BI5422Details.htm
Old 03-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by housecor
Uneven side to side ride height is a pretty common problem which was documented in a separate thread. Many found their stock Maximas were this way. It's likely attributed to the springs slightly different positions on the perch and variance in spring stiffness as part of the manufacturing process. My stock front springs are clearly stiffer than others since my front end is around .5" higher than average. I'd say nothing to worry about.
I do appreciate the information... Actually, when I was on my way home from work, I stopped off and parked my car in a lot to grab a bite to eat and when I returned to my Max, as it was sitting there by itself, it looked even. I guess it matters where it sits, but I swear it looks tad bit lower more often on the drivers side.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:50 PM

In the photos above I was on Illuminas with Progress. I'm now rolling with H&R's on the front only with stock struts. There's a recent thread on this setup.
so you have stock all around with H&R's
Old 03-25-2005, 04:22 PM

Gotta Chop The Cars Height
Old 03-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Sports Button FTW

drop looks better

btw there are a lot of people that got Titanium maxima's :wow:
Old 03-26-2005, 08:24 PM
Pointy Elbows

I love my Progress springs. They're Grrrrreat!
Old 04-03-2005, 09:17 PM

love the lower look, not slammed but just over the tire is always a plus. i just installed s-techs and hp's on factory 17's. i love the ride even though boston street sucks. one complain i do have is that ive noticed a slight lower drop in the rear, very slight unless you stare at it youll notice it. is that natural, i was in the impression the front would set lower.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:35 PM

Front usually is lower on S-techs. I assume you have some heavy equipment in your trunk?
Old 04-03-2005, 09:51 PM
vsamoylov

i like having my front end lower. gives a car a different stance.

Old 04-04-2005, 03:04 PM

Housecor's page was influential in me choosing Progress springs on my 2k2. The drop was the most even looking, and even now that I've had them on a while with Illumina shocks set at 2F/2R, things still look great, and not TOO aggressive. They will make you feel bumps in the road, though... if I can't negotiate around a pothole or some other deformity in the road, the CRUNCHCLUNK sound makes me cringe sometimes.

Other than that, though, I support Progress springs. Great look, good even drop.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:15 PM

Front usually is lower on S-techs. I assume you have some heavy equipment in your trunk?
my trunk is empty for the moment. i was under the impression my front would drop lower that way my box wouldnt make my ride look like its sagging. they been on a lil less than a week so im gonna give it time and see what happens.
any similiar situations?
Old 04-04-2005, 04:09 PM

yo..im from queens new york....and i see opinions here and there..but i wanna know with heavy audio system in the trunk, what springs is great with the stock struts? also, im gettin the evo 5 body kit so i just wanna drop the car just right. thanks 4 the future info.........
Old 04-04-2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by spencediggy
yo..im from queens new york....and i see opinions here and there..but i wanna know with heavy audio system in the trunk, what springs is great with the stock struts? also, im gettin the evo 5 body kit so i just wanna drop the car just right. thanks 4 the future info.........
I have the progress springs with illumina shocks as stated above. I've had my backseat loaded with people and no problems bottoming out, though I will say that with a couple hundred additional pounds in the back things become a bit on the rough side, but not dangerous.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:16 PM

illuminas r bout 3 to 4 hundred dollars? correct?! money i don't really have accessible when doin the audio system n body kit. can i be safe using the factory SE struts?
Old 04-04-2005, 05:31 PM

I find it hard to believe that ANYONE would vote that it looks the same to them. It most definitely doesn't ever look the same. DROP IS THE WAY TO GO!!
Old 04-05-2005, 07:17 AM

im on maxpseeds with gr2's. it's a tad stiff early in the morning (cold out) after that, it drives like stock SE maybe a lil stiffer. Im pretty happy with my choice on suspension. this cars on rails!

Old 04-05-2005, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Nissan2k2specV
im on maxpseeds with gr2's. it's a tad stiff early in the morning (cold out) after that, it drives like stock SE maybe a lil stiffer. Im pretty happy with my choice on suspension. this cars on rails!
Man, that's an awesome looking Max. The 350 rims look excellent. I really like the offset because they actually fill the wheel well. I checked out your site and both cars are impressive. Great work!
Old 04-05-2005, 11:22 AM

thanks bro, i been slaving for these cars over the last year. Im getting close to done on both. then i dont know what im gonna do
Old 04-05-2005, 09:06 PM
I miss the .org!

Even dropped with S.Tech's on 19's, the back STILL look way too high
Old 04-06-2005, 12:04 PM

I like the dropped look. It gives the max a more aggressive look and stance on the road. I‘ll be looking into lowering my max in the next couple of months.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:03 AM

i like that picture because it gives me a better idea of what my car looks like next to a sheer silver...i didn't realize sterling was so dull. my pics of my car look a lil lighter, more like the sheer silver

Quick Reply: Drop vs. Stock - A decision in pictures. New pics posted...