5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: So which looks better?
Stock - Drop looks ghetto or unnatural
10.61%
Drop - More aggressive and even
86.32%
Dunno. They look the same to me.
3.07%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Drop vs. Stock - A decision in pictures. New pics posted...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Out of Order . . .

Man, anyone who argues that they don't want to lose the "ride quality" of the stock suspension has never driven the car any harder than down a straight road. The car rolls like a boat on the ocean!! Besides, Maximas look awesome with just a lil' bit of drop!! My .02
Old 12-28-2005, 10:58 PM

i agree that max's look so much better lowered than stock, and yes there could be problems like clearance issues, but i think the stock gap is horrendous. i'm waiting for my h-techs to come in. imo, max's dropped as low as possible do have a ricey appearance but whatever you wanna do it's your car and money. i think the progress drop is perfect! hopefully the h-techs come out as good as those did
Old 12-29-2005, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by housecor
Uneven side to side ride height is a pretty common problem which was documented in a separate thread. Many found their stock Maximas were this way. It's likely attributed to the springs slightly different positions on the perch and variance in spring stiffness as part of the manufacturing process. My stock front springs are clearly stiffer than others since my front end is around .5" higher than average. I'd say nothing to worry about.
I think it's the same way with aftermarket springs as well...My H&Rs definitely are lower on the driver side and my friend's maxima with Eibachs are the same way...

Also...

My H&R are not as low in the front as some other people I have seen with the same spring/strut combo

My H&R are lower in the rear than some other people I have seen with a system of similar weight in the trunk

These are all variables that I guess are inevitable when you get a certain spring, which obviously doesn't have a consistent production...I'm crossing my fingers that the H-Techs I bought to install in the front only in the spring are going to decide to be on the lower side and not the higher side like my H&Rs turned out in comparison to other 5th gen Maxima applications.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Kruppa
I think it's the same way with aftermarket springs as well...My H&Rs definitely are lower on the driver side and my friend's maxima with Eibachs are the same way...

Also...

My H&R are not as low in the front as some other people I have seen with the same spring/strut combo

My H&R are lower in the rear than some other people I have seen with a system of similar weight in the trunk

These are all variables that I guess are inevitable when you get a certain spring, which obviously doesn't have a consistent production...I'm crossing my fingers that the H-Techs I bought to install in the front only in the spring are going to decide to be on the lower side and not the higher side like my H&Rs turned out in comparison to other 5th gen Maxima applications.
the cure: coilovers, mine are nice and even...

But with unadjustable springs there will be slight variances between them, not to mention the weight of the maxima is not split right down the middle. The tranny is on the drivers side, and you have a driver to weigh it down even more...
Old 12-29-2005, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
The tranny is on the drivers side, and you have a driver to weigh it down even more...

Tell me about it... it is noticeable to me and it kinda irritates me. Can't wait for my coilovers to come in.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:22 AM

the cure: coilovers, mine are nice and even...

But with unadjustable springs there will be slight variances between them, not to mention the weight of the maxima is not split right down the middle. The tranny is on the drivers side, and you have a driver to weigh it down even more...
The right way to do it is coilovers and then adjust them over scales so the sum of the corner weights (cris cross) add to the same ballpark.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nissan2k2specV
it's a tad stiff early in the morning
Hey man that's a little too personal...
Old 12-29-2005, 03:29 PM

Max's definately need a drop (well at least the front does!). My only hang up is that after new struts/shocks and springs you are looking at least $500. I would rather use that money elsewhere right now (think home audio).

If my suspension needs replacing down the road, I'll definately go S-tech or Progress.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:10 AM

Like the drop, got to get rid of the horrible tire gap.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:43 AM

Ok who was it??

Ok who voted that they look the same???
Old 12-30-2005, 10:46 AM

Lowering Springs eat stock struts for breakfast!

I don't have experience with the stock Maxima struts, but on 2 previous cars (Honda Prelude and Subaru WRX) lowering springs will destroy the stock struts very quickly (<10k miles). Unless you enjoy disassembling the spring/ struts more than once or simply do not have the green to do the whole upgrade at once, I definitely recommend upgrading struts and lowering springs at the same time.

p.s. Had Progress springs on the WRX and H&R on the Prelude. Both were great springs.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:26 AM

I Appoligize in advance for thread jacking:

does anyone have stock 2k3 rear springs they are willing to part with. I'm looking to do a maxspeed drop in the front and stock in the rear. The stock 00 GLE springs sit much higher in the rear then 2k3's do so that is why I am asking......Again, sorry for thread jacking
Old 01-01-2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by max929
I Appoligize in advance for thread jacking:

does anyone have stock 2k3 rear springs they are willing to part with. I'm looking to do a maxspeed drop in the front and stock in the rear. The stock 00 GLE springs sit much higher in the rear then 2k3's do so that is why I am asking......Again, sorry for thread jacking
I have 00' SE springs... I am not sure if they can help you. let me know.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:54 PM

i've driven a lot of lowered cars over the years, i just bought my max and im still on the fence about lowerin it...i hate wheel gap just as much as anyone else but the ride is so much better than in my old car, i almost dont want to sacrifice the comfort...
Old 01-02-2006, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by lexusviper84
i've driven a lot of lowered cars over the years, i just bought my max and im still on the fence about lowerin it...i hate wheel gap just as much as anyone else but the ride is so much better than in my old car, i almost dont want to sacrifice the comfort...
If you just want to even out the stance and improve handling a bit, you might consider H&R's on the front only. I've been running this setup for over a year on stock struts with no issues. It rides virtually identical to stock and the car feel much crisper and responsive on turns than stock. A great compromise IMHO.

Otherwise, H-techs have gotten great reviews around here of late.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:16 AM

I like the idea of just lowering the front but when price shopping for H&R's or Maxspeeds I'm only seeing them in sets of 4. Could someone point me in the direction of a source to buy just the front springs?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:03 AM

I have 00' SE springs... I am not sure if they can help you. let me know.
I think those will work....What will it cost me??????(I can throw u back my GLE rear springs on top of $) Thanks upstate!!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 09:39 AM
The Visionary...

I think lowering the car looks good for show but the stock car just looks more agressive. Like said earlier when its lower it looks like it should be going slow or parked in a lot showing off...not day to day driving.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Split Level
I think lowering the car looks good for show but the stock car just looks more agressive. Like said earlier when its lower it looks like it should be going slow or parked in a lot showing off...not day to day driving.

more agressive? if by agressive you mean ready to tackly a rocky mountain trail. the wheel gap is disgusting. the car just looks better dropped, most people will agree.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by MxdOut97
more agressive? if by agressive you mean ready to tackly a rocky mountain trail. the wheel gap is disgusting. the car just looks better dropped, most people will agree.
i was just thinking how much MORE aggressive my car looks now...

tell me that doesn't look aggressive:

Old 01-02-2006, 03:58 PM

Thanks Maray. Glad it's been helpful! I blew an Illumina after only 4 months while running Progress springs. Now whether that had anything to do with the springs is anybody's guess. It could have been caused a faulty strut as well. No one else has blown in Illumina to my knowledge in such a short time. But to just to be safe, and to get more suspension travel for potholes, I went with an H&R front only setup. This evened out the stance and enhanced handling.
Nice look Housecor! I have Progress front and back with AGX adj. and it hits like a rock. Did you leave the Progress in the rear? If so this might be the solution for me.

Thanks,
Bill

email me: BillPict@concentric.net
Old 01-02-2006, 03:59 PM

Re:

I like the drop, but since I like "sleepers" I'll keep mine stock.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX

tell me that doesn't look aggressive:
that doesnt look agressive JK

OT: whered you get that license plate frame?
Old 01-02-2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by MxdOut97
that doesnt look agressive JK

OT: whered you get that license plate frame?
Tx DMV

j/k ebay
Old 01-02-2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by naxray
I like the idea of just lowering the front but when price shopping for H&R's or Maxspeeds I'm only seeing them in sets of 4. Could someone point me in the direction of a source to buy just the front springs?

Thanks in advance.
You'll have to buy all 4. However, springs aren't a bad investment since you can sell the complete set of 4 for near what you paid when you sell your car sometime down the road. If you buy a used set, they'll likely hold near all their value. In general, people aren't too worried about high mile springs since most quality brands are "lifetime warranted" anyway and sag over time generally isn't an issue.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:15 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Stock suspension sucks, it sucks so bad that I hate driving my car- I can't wait for spring till I can put my JICs back on. Right now that 03 M45 with 15k miles in black looks VERY appealing.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:50 PM

im dropped way lower than most 5th gens here, not trying to toot my own horn, mearly making a point(hoefully). i kid u not while leaving my tire change place for my routine 2-3month rebalance. and the guys who worked on my car askd if my car was lowered cause my alignment was off. they didnt even notice by the looks. imo even sammed maximas dont look all that low, weve got such huge looking wheel wells.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:35 PM

i keep my JICs on all year round, i love the slammed look

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Stock suspension sucks, it sucks so bad that I hate driving my car- I can't wait for spring till I can put my JICs back on. Right now that 03 M45 with 15k miles in black looks VERY appealing.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:58 PM

i don't think anyone can disagree the drop looks so much better but at what cost? i had a sorry camry before my max. and while my max blows the doors off my camry in both speed, power and aggessive looks my camry gave so much of a better ride!! i know one is luxury and one is sport but to keep it real my max rides like **it. you feel every rock and bump on the road. i put rims on her and while she sure does look even more aggresive now she rides even worse. i can't imagine what it would feel like with a drop, unbearable i would imagine. and aside from people on this site , don't think the ave. or even car enthusiast would notice. i put 245/45/18's on which filled the wheel well out very good but made the car rise so i then put the entire stillen kit on her which gave the illusion that it was 2-3 inches lower due to the fact it's closer to the ground. if you really want to see a diff, put the stillen kit on. that makes it look like a totally diff car imo. love the drops all you guys have though but i don't know how you deal with the ride???
Old 01-18-2006, 09:35 PM

about $500 for springs and struts with labor extra and Maxima is still not leveled <
About $800 for coilovers with labor extra and Maxima looks even and rides perfect not to talk of the adjustability LOL
Id rather save my money and not eat extra BK so I could get the coilovers.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:33 AM

I love my S-Techs and Illuminas. I think its the best drop and not to low, never had scrapping issues at all. Its good especially when going with 19" this year.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:59 AM

I snapped some drop vs. stock comparison shots a long while back when I saw a 2K3 nearly identical to mine sitting lonely in a parking lot, but I never got around to posting them. To see how much of a difference a drop makes in a side by side comparison, the shots are now up here:
http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/2004_5_29.html

Progress springs are on the silver Max in these shots.

Here's one:

And just for kicks, I threw in a poll. I'm sure there are some who prefer the look of stock - I'm just curious how many of us zealots feel that way.
Your drop looks nice and all, but I don't think ANY 5th gen comes close to mines.....here is my proof, on the left is my car with my JIC coilover drop, and on the right is my brothers 2002 stock BOAT look....you guys be the judge.....
Old 01-19-2006, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
im dropped way lower than most 5th gens here, not trying to toot my own horn, mearly making a point(hoefully). i kid u not while leaving my tire change place for my routine 2-3month rebalance. and the guys who worked on my car askd if my car was lowered cause my alignment was off. they didnt even notice by the looks. imo even sammed maximas dont look all that low, weve got such huge looking wheel wells.
Check out my pic above and say that slammed maxima's don't look that low....
Old 01-20-2006, 12:12 AM

That pic doesn't really show much of a difference, but I am definitely a advocate of lowering. It is the best investment I have made on my Infiniti yet.

The ride is more harsh, but the handeling more that makes up for it. BTW, I'm on Eibachs and Illuminas.

If you dont want a harsh ride go with H&R's with the Illuminas. You wont be dissapointed.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:06 PM

Starchild2K2SE are your coilover on stock struts?

damn your max's is slammed.......
Old 02-12-2006, 08:32 AM
The Boy Wonder

It's nice but how in the hell can u drive that around in NYC?
Old 02-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by Icondapython
Starchild2K2SE are your coilover on stock struts?

damn your max's is slammed.......
He has the JIC's. They don't use factory struts. The struts and springs are together in one assembly.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:38 PM

I have had progress springs with stock shocks and still riding great.... Go for the drop... def more aggressive
Old 02-12-2006, 06:11 PM

thanks for the slap, i needed it.........and thanks for answering since i asked YOU the question.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Pointy Elbows

Sure thing, anytime.

Quick Reply: Drop vs. Stock - A decision in pictures. New pics posted...