5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a High quality polished SS Exhaust system?
I would
68.06%
Maybe
26.39%
Not really
5.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Exhaust System Interest?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 12:59 AM
Horra!!

Any news on this?
Old 04-01-2005, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by SSR Engineering
we could blow that price out of the water
Price has been a major hold up for me, Also I want to retain most of the classiness of my car so if it is raspy, drones a lot, or is annoyingly loud, forget it. I like the tone of the 350z and infinity g35 coupe.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:37 AM

so what is the wait time before we hear anything on the exhaust system and headers???
Old 04-01-2005, 08:38 AM
Maxima Pilot

Since this is an open request for feedback, here goes mine:

The primary reason I have not installed either of the various headers out there is because they are not optimally designed, gas-flow wise: their individual downpipes are too short and collectors too small to make the power and torque that could be gotten from a set of better designed headers.

Now, it may be that space constraints just flat dont allow that to be the case, but per my rough calculations on gas flow speed at 6000 RPMs (about 1300 feet per second) and about 8.3 gas pulses per second per cylinder, a set of headers with roughly four to six inch longer down pipes (the individual pipes that come from each cylinder) along with a collector of about 1.5x the volume of the current designs - which dont do much to actually aid in the smoothing of the gas flows a true collector does by providing a symmetrical joining of the individual down pipes- would yield far more power and tq that the current designs do.

If SSR could look into these designs and calculations and come up with a header that is more optimally designed and addresses the various fitment issues with O2 sensors, etc etc, plus make a matching cat-back for a competitive price, I would bite......
Old 04-01-2005, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Galo
Since this is an open request for feedback, here goes mine:

The primary reason I have not installed either of the various headers out there is because they are not optimally designed, gas-flow wise: their individual downpipes are too short and collectors too small to make the power and torque that could be gotten from a set of better designed headers.

Now, it may be that space constraints just flat dont allow that to be the case, but per my rough calculations on gas flow speed at 6000 RPMs (about 1300 feet per second) and about 8.3 gas pulses per second per cylinder, a set of headers with roughly four to six inch longer down pipes (the individual pipes that come from each cylinder) along with a collector of about 1.5x the volume of the current designs - which dont do much to actually aid in the smoothing of the gas flows a true collector does by providing a symmetrical joining of the individual down pipes- would yield far more power and tq that the current designs do.

If SSR could look into these designs and calculations and come up with a header that is more optimally designed and addresses the various fitment issues with O2 sensors, etc etc, plus make a matching cat-back for a competitive price, I would bite......

x1,000,000,000!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dang i just bought a b-pipe, oh well. If SSR makes good headers i'm in.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:18 AM

What volume of the gas pulse are you using? As the gas expands it fills a volume in the pipe. We need to make sure it does not expand too much and slow the velocity down. I assusme you also do not wish to let the pulses bang into each other and cause more turbulence. So what diameter pipe are you suggesting for the headers?
Old 04-01-2005, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by VQ30GTR
What volume of the gas pulse are you using? As the gas expands it fills a volume in the pipe. We need to make sure it does not expand too much and slow the velocity down. I assusme you also do not wish to let the pulses bang into each other and cause more turbulence. So what diameter pipe are you suggesting for the headers?

Guys listen to this link for a sound clip of our exhaust system on an Altima 3.5SE

Idle
(right click and save as)
http://ssr-engineering.com/AltimaTur...t/MVI_2041.AVI

Revving
(right click and save as)
http://ssr-engineering.com/AltimaTur...t/MVI_2042.AVI
Old 04-01-2005, 10:09 AM

i have the tanabe hyper medalion muffler i found in a shop by my house for 75 bucks and put custom piping for 55 bucks i use 2.5" piping and the car runs great with all the mods i have it sounds like the 350z and it looks like the stock muffler. but alot of people prefer the stock look.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:22 AM

[QUOTE=BlackBIRDVQ]Remus style dual 3" tip muffler would be a hit with the Maxima community. [QUOTE]

This is what I have... 3" tip 2.5 diameter. Like it but I jacked it up a little on a curb.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:27 AM

i love the look of magnaflow style dual oval tips i think some three inch tips would look great especially for that price. how it sounds as god as it looks
Old 04-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by VQ30GTR
Due to latent heat and pressure -and I admit to be using some very old formulas from my college days- I'm using an volume pulse = 1.7x a combustion chamber size halfway between the 3 liter cars and the 3.5 liter cars or roughly 540 ccs, meaning, a system where, per bank, the three downpipes plus collector need to accomodate approximately 1147 ccs of exhaust volume at any given time..

Before you ask me how I get that, it's the 540ccs of combustion chamber volume x the 1.7 constant x 1.25 pulses per revolution because each cylinder on a bank fires every 270 degrees of crankshaft rotation. Do the math of 540 x 1.7 x 1.25 = 1147 ccs

In other words, the total volume of all three of the downpipes + the collector must be close to that figure of 1147 ccs for there to be optimal flow within the system -because at any given poin in time, there will be 1147 ccs of exhaust volume needing to be accomodated and flowed within th system

A header with downpipes of 1.125" diameter and lengths of 18, 20 and 22 inches for each cylinder provides the following volumes:

18" downpipes: 878 ccs
20" downpipes: 976 ccs
22" downpipes: 1073ccs

If the pipes were 1.25" ID, the same lengths would yield volumes of
18" downpipes: 1089 ccs
20" downpipes: 1210 ccs
22" downpipes: 1331 ccs

So, I would think that headers of 1.25" ID and 20" downpipes (or 20" combined downpipes + collector) would yield much better performance than the current configuration of headers out there.

I would actually love to see what the SSR guys have to say about all this as I'm just spouting theory whereas they have this down to a more realistic science.

Also, I have not personally touched any of the currently-available headers, but I'm pretty sure they dont have individual downpipes+collectors in the 18" to 20" range. In fact, if I look at Stillen's headers pictures, it appears that their total downpipe + collectors lengths are barely a foot long, so...should we have any question as to why the Stealin headers dont really do much for our Maxes?? Hell, look at their own headers for the Sentras and you'll see how much longer their downpipes are -plus it appears that its collector is a big larger as well...

Cattman's headers look much better with substantially longer, more even-length downpipes as well as larger collectors. But still, I bet that headers with four or five inch longer downpipes -if they could be fitted inside the envelope of our cars- would result in better power and a much more melodious exhaust note.

As a last note/edit, take a look at Stillen's headers for the 350z and G35 variants and compare these with the so-called headers they themselves sell for our cars and the differences in relative downpipe lengths should be obvious....this is more proof that our headers need longer downpipes/collectors...
Old 04-01-2005, 01:46 PM
mjg

SSR,

though im all for variety, this really isn't something we needed very bad at this point, please stick to the mods that really will offer us something in power gains, exhausts we have a plenty

Maybe can you get back on the intake manifold project?
Old 04-01-2005, 01:49 PM

I really like Galo's idea... let's push for that, Cattman and Hotshot need some competition...
Old 04-01-2005, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by SSR Engineering
Guys listen to this link for a sound clip of our exhaust system on an Altima 3.5SE
Btw, I love the way that exhaust sounds... and I esp like the sleek single tip look... great work guys...
Old 04-01-2005, 02:58 PM

the exhaust on the altima sounds great, but dont you guys think its just a little too loud?? is it just the catback on their or are there headers and y pipe installed too, im just wonderin because if we get a similiar exhaust likke that then install headers it might just get too loud, i like that way mike's mossy exhaust sound with his hs headers
Old 04-01-2005, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Galo
Due to latent heat and pressure -and I admit to be using some very old formulas from my college days- I'm using an volume pulse = 1.7x a combustion chamber size halfway between the 3 liter cars and the 3.5 liter cars or roughly 540 ccs, meaning, a system where, per bank, the three downpipes plus collector need to accomodate approximately 1147 ccs of exhaust volume at any given time..

Before you ask me how I get that, it's the 540ccs of combustion chamber volume x the 1.7 constant x 1.25 pulses per revolution because each cylinder on a bank fires every 270 degrees of crankshaft rotation. Do the math of 540 x 1.7 x 1.25 = 1147 ccs

In other words, the total volume of all three of the downpipes + the collector must be close to that figure of 1147 ccs for there to be optimal flow within the system -because at any given poin in time, there will be 1147 ccs of exhaust volume needing to be accomodated and flowed within th system

A header with downpipes of 1.125" diameter and lengths of 18, 20 and 22 inches for each cylinder provides the following volumes:

18" downpipes: 878 ccs
20" downpipes: 976 ccs
22" downpipes: 1073ccs

If the pipes were 1.25" ID, the same lengths would yield volumes of
18" downpipes: 1089 ccs
20" downpipes: 1210 ccs
22" downpipes: 1331 ccs

So, I would think that headers of 1.25" ID and 20" downpipes (or 20" combined downpipes + collector) would yield much better performance than the current configuration of headers out there.

I would actually love to see what the SSR guys have to say about all this as I'm just spouting theory whereas they have this down to a more realistic science.

Also, I have not personally touched any of the currently-available headers, but I'm pretty sure they dont have individual downpipes+collectors in the 18" to 20" range. In fact, if I look at Stillen's headers pictures, it appears that their total downpipe + collectors lengths are barely a foot long, so...should we have any question as to why the Stealin headers dont really do much for our Maxes?? Hell, look at their own headers for the Sentras and you'll see how much longer their downpipes are -plus it appears that its collector is a big larger as well...

Cattman's headers look much better with substantially longer, more even-length downpipes as well as larger collectors. But still, I bet that headers with four or five inch longer downpipes -if they could be fitted inside the envelope of our cars- would result in better power and a much more melodious exhaust note.

As a last note/edit, take a look at Stillen's headers for the 350z and G35 variants and compare these with the so-called headers they themselves sell for our cars and the differences in relative downpipe lengths should be obvious....this is more proof that our headers need longer downpipes/collectors...
I hope that thinking like this brings us some really high quality products such as the ones in question. I hope that the developers take the time to do it perfectly, although I am looking to purchase some headers and pipes in about 6 months. I hope it can be done!
Old 04-01-2005, 06:16 PM

im giving it another year to see whats out
Old 04-02-2005, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by MaxSE-R
the exhaust on the altima sounds great, but dont you guys think its just a little too loud?? is it just the catback on their or are there headers and y pipe installed too, im just wonderin because if we get a similiar exhaust likke that then install headers it might just get too loud, i like that way mike's mossy exhaust sound with his hs headers
Manifolds, Turbo, 3'' downpipe, no cat
Old 04-02-2005, 08:53 AM

that would explain it now wouldn't it
Old 04-03-2005, 11:10 AM

Performance

Aesthetic value is important but not 1st.

1. SS
2. Performance
3. Weight
4. Price
5. Looks

In that order; no compromises.

IMO, I think the whole system should be R&Ded together at the same time.
This way the entire fitment is not problematic and the most HP/TQ can be squeezed out from IM-Headers-CC-CatB. Besides, for SSR, it would mean more quailty products=more loyal customers=more $$=more R&D and the cycle continues.

Just my 2cents.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
9000 exhausts sold ? Man those have to be the nastiest sounding Maximas out there. I see more Greddy exhausts on Maximas than some cheap **** CM puts out. I don't think we even have 9000 members here on the forum, and if we did- not everyone has their exhaust. CM products suck, the only good thing they sell is the resonated test pipe. And once again I don't drive a Pontiac GTP or whatever they sell that has 4 exhaust tips.
OHHH my god, and here I thought nissan sold quad tips on their 2k4 and 2k5 maxima's...silly me. I dont like the look of the 6th gen really and do not really think I want quad tips, but the 10 hp gain of the dual exhaust and the look is really quite nice and brings it more of an upscale look than the old coffee can does.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:03 AM

SSR , I know it's a little OT but, you have a manifold for 350z/g35 why can't you modify the TB part of it so it can be used on Atimas and Maximas? WE need it BAD!!!
Old 04-06-2005, 12:17 PM

anything to beef up our second gen vq35de.....
Old 04-06-2005, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by ighettoboyi
anything to beef up our second gen vq35de.....

was that a question or a comment?
Old 04-06-2005, 02:12 PM

a comment to Tac M's statement
Old 04-06-2005, 02:15 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Tac_M
SSR , I know it's a little OT but, you have a manifold for 350z/g35 why can't you modify the TB part of it so it can be used on Atimas and Maximas? WE need it BAD!!!
Old 04-06-2005, 02:31 PM

Thanks Galo, That is what I assumed about some of the headers out there. I am not an expert but I have done some reading of their design and some look to be done just to be done.

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-19-2005, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by SixxOne
If it sounded close to a G35 I would buy.
I love that sound!!
Old 04-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Rob01ski

Dual tips all the way, single tip would look retarded on on 5th gens, unless you did it like the 01 stock muffler with the dual tips incased in one rectangular piece i always liked that look

Old 04-19-2005, 10:35 PM

thanks for reviving a nearly dead thread. it's worthless unless they announce they want a donor car for a header design or something
Old 04-20-2005, 12:47 PM

I wonder how long this will take if SSR intends to go with this, since i was considering the frankencar rear section, maybe even the full cattback. But knowing the SSR may be cheaper makes it even more appealing. BUT so far i like the frankencars classy look over the rest of the competition and including it's sound. Though i was interested in removing it's resonator and putting a straight pipe in it's place, though i appreciate it's quiet sound i wouldn't mind something which will stand out without popping and and annoying people like the greddy. no offense to anyone who has the greddy on there 5th gens ;p but i heard it up close and couldn't buy it for my car.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:30 PM

my 2 cents....Sleek Stock style...all the way...I agree with the majority, not rice sounding, quieter, not tinney, a little rumble at higher RPM's.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Out of Order . . .

I would like one with a slightly more aggressive look and sound than the stock exhaust. I Don't want to be too flashy and I like to keep exhaust to a low growl!! LOL
Old 04-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Seoul Man

No updates from SSR. I wonder what's up.