5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

hit a pothole.... WTF

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 10:55 AM

hit a pothole.... WTF

i'm on my way to work today and there's a gnarly deep pothole on the road. didn't even see how deep it was until i was right on top of it. must have been at least 8" deep with 90 degree edges. nice crunch when i go over it. then i get to work and check it out in the parking lot. can't tell if anything happened to my new struts, but the driver's side front tire has a nice big bubble in the sidewall now. dangit!!!!
Old 03-27-2005, 11:07 AM

any signs of a bent rim? or bent control arm?
Old 03-27-2005, 11:09 AM

I had that happen the other day, turned out to be nothing. I don't know about the bubble though, you may wanna have that checked out.

Anyway, on an off topic, being that I am unable to start a new thread due to the new rule, would somebody please be able to post on my behalf:
I have a 2000 GLE Max, and I have noticed a very lagging acceleration, even when I floor it. It seems that at a light or something, every other car accelerates faster than my car, even old mini-vans. I have 42000 miles on the car that I bought pre-owned with 31000. I have always seemed to have this problem, its just been bugging me recently. Thanks to anybody that can help out.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Leviathan
I had that happen the other day, turned out to be nothing. I don't know about the bubble though, you may wanna have that checked out.

Anyway, on an off topic, being that I am unable to start a new thread due to the new rule, would somebody please be able to post on my behalf:
I have a 2000 GLE Max, and I have noticed a very lagging acceleration, even when I floor it. It seems that at a light or something, every other car accelerates faster than my car, even old mini-vans. I have 42000 miles on the car that I bought pre-owned with 31000. I have always seemed to have this problem, its just been bugging me recently. Thanks to anybody that can help out.
What new rule are you referring to?
Old 03-27-2005, 11:32 AM

I would def change that tire because under hight speeds the tires heat up and it can pop.

what new rule??
Old 03-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What new rule?
Old 03-27-2005, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
I would def change that tire because under hight speeds the tires heat up and it can pop.

what new rule??
I would change it too. Right now it's an A J Maypop.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:36 AM

OK, new rule is if you have less than 15 posts you can't make a new thread... I guess that's for guys who come in here for 1 time advice and never return. You can reply and get over the 15...an hour later you can make a new thread.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:02 PM

Replace the tire now. Once you have a bubble on the side wall it means that the tire could blow at any minute. The bands within the tire were disrupted by the pot hole allow air to get under the bands a push the rubber of the side wall out.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:06 PM

plan on changing it tomorrow when the tire shops open. plan on changing both fronts since i hate just changing one at a time. friggin waste of money. man if bent a control arm, i will be SOOOO upset. i just finished pouring 600 into the max for just 'general maintenance' to replace blown struts, rotations, alignment.......

bent control arm? what am i supposed to do with that? how do i even tell if the a control arm is bent? since it hit this ginormous chasm head on, i could very well have damage on both sides. gotta get it on a lift now to check the insides of the tires as well as the suspension components. what a headache.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:09 PM

one cool and unexpected development. bsetiawan just let me know that since this happened on a public road, i can actually file a claim with Caltrans for the damage. gotta take some pics now and start documenting.... hope this all works out. strapped for cash.

thanks bsetiawan, another orger comes thru again.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Z

Originally Posted by Leviathan

Your MAF sensor is shot. You need a new one. It costs between 80-150, depends where you buy. Do not buy it from Nissan, they will charge $400.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:22 PM

How will I know for sure if it is the MAF sensor? I have made an appointment with NISSAN for that free 100 point checklist. The car runs fine otherwise, and on highways it is a breeze. The only problem is that like I said earlier, it does not really have that pickup.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:43 PM

i'd have the tire replaced for sure. have your mechanic check out your car and make an estimate for all the repairs it might need, including the tire. then go to the city office and get a check for the repairs. my friend had this same thing happen but it screwed up both the tire and rim on the passenger wheels. they had to pay to have them replaced because they didn't maintain the road properly.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by ThunderMaxi
OK, new rule is if you have less than 15 posts you can't make a new thread... I guess that's for guys who come in here for 1 time advice and never return. You can reply and get over the 15...an hour later you can make a new thread.
Yup... here it is:

http://forums.maxima.org/announcement.php?f=10
Old 03-27-2005, 07:50 PM
retired moderator

I just did the same thing, on my brand-new tires dammit....a little bubble on one sidewall...no other damage to rims or tires. The bubble is very small and not even noticeable, except that I was looking REALLY close...

Anyhow, I'm not replacing a brand-new tire (no road hazard since it was internet-bought)...so I just put it in the back and rotated my other one up front...if a back tire blows for some reason...well....I'll deal with that if it ever happens....
Old 03-27-2005, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
I just did the same thing, on my brand-new tires dammit....a little bubble on one sidewall...no other damage to rims or tires. The bubble is very small and not even noticeable, except that I was looking REALLY close...

Anyhow, I'm not replacing a brand-new tire (no road hazard since it was internet-bought)...so I just put it in the back and rotated my other one up front...if a back tire blows for some reason...well....I'll deal with that if it ever happens....
What??? You just put those pimp G35 wheels on...that you were patiently waiting to put on. That sucks. This is an interesting thread since Friday night there was something on the road, I hit it and both left rims are RIP. Got new rims and tires. Gonna take pix. Looks like we are all busting up our rims... and somehow my spoiler got smashed, so I need a new one of those....
Old 03-27-2005, 08:10 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by ThunderMaxi
What??? You just put those pimp G35 wheels on...that you were patiently waiting to put on. That sucks. This is an interesting thread since Friday night there was something on the road, I hit it and both left rims are RIP. Got new rims and tires. Gonna take pix. Looks like we are all busting up our rims... and somehow my spoiler got smashed, so I need a new one of those....
well...luckily nothing happened to my rims....just one bubble on one tire......

anyhow, I am using different rims/tires for auto-x......
Old 03-27-2005, 09:58 PM

will post some pics of the bubble in my sidewall later. this thing is big. like half of a plum big. from some angles, looks like something's inside the wheel actually pushing a stick into the inside of the tire. i'll have to take a better look at the wheel and suspension at the tire shop. will prolly have to the check the rears as well.

i'm running gle springs with brand new illuminas. any chance the struts are gone already????? i'm really hoping they're ok. someone tell me the illuminas are bomber.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by serin
plan on changing it tomorrow when the tire shops open. plan on changing both fronts since i hate just changing one at a time. friggin waste of money. man if bent a control arm, i will be SOOOO upset. i just finished pouring 600 into the max for just 'general maintenance' to replace blown struts, rotations, alignment.......

bent control arm? what am i supposed to do with that? how do i even tell if the a control arm is bent? since it hit this ginormous chasm head on, i could very well have damage on both sides. gotta get it on a lift now to check the insides of the tires as well as the suspension components. what a headache.

Do what I did when I hit a gaping friggin hole in the street REPORT that bad boy to county claims and take pics of the hole if you can and take pics of your rim and the bubble, my case is pending right now and they should refund me for both my wheels on my right side and the work to repair my wheel bearing.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:01 AM

I was going about 50mph through an area where the street had a peak/dip every 10 feet and on the last dip there was a pothole I hit hard enough to drop my speed 30 mph ... I looked at the tire and rim and cannot find any damage. Is there anything in particular I should look for aside from a bubble in the sidewall of the tire or is there a way to get this checked out professionally?
Old 03-28-2005, 11:07 AM

you can report it and hope to be compensated. if the city approves it expect the money to take a while to reach you. the govn't works sloooooooow
Old 03-28-2005, 11:10 AM

you can get that covered some how by the state my buddy bent a rim and had some other damage made a claim to the state and got money back...it took somehting like 8 months but he got it...
Old 03-28-2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sizzo718
you can report it and hope to be compensated. if the city approves it expect the money to take a while to reach you. the govn't works sloooooooow
It's called red tape AKA bureaucracy.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:37 PM

I was told roughly 6 months wait
Old 03-29-2005, 04:49 PM

guys where do I go to claim this? I live in NY. Thanks. Im taking pics now.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:21 PM
† ErV †

The bubble will grow and grow and eventually puncture. You have to file with the city, and prove that the city roads did this. Usually unless the tire blows on the spot the wheel isn't damaged as there is nothing to put sufficient pressure on the rim.

In reality, good luck getting anything.

Old 03-29-2005, 08:26 PM

I just spent over 800 on four brand new michelin tires, and got a bubble the size of a baseball thanks to NYC potholes, going to go on friday to get 1 tire replaced for 180. F*ckin sucks and i doubt city will give me anything.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:01 PM

pics of bubble
i already changed the offending tire and had the shop check the other three. other than a slight cut in one, nothing to report there. wish i had a way of knowing if any suspension damage was done.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:38 AM

god damn thats nasty
Old 03-30-2005, 08:17 AM

I have seen much worst
Old 03-30-2005, 09:03 AM

dude, that sucks...it looks like that tire had ALOT of meat left on it...hope you got another one for free with the insurance.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:04 AM

I hate bad pavement.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by zgrm100
guys where do I go to claim this? I live in NY. Thanks. Im taking pics now.
Dial 311 and request the number for the Better Business Bureau or check out http://www.newyork.bbb.org/ - they can help you with this.

F*)@(#* potholes here in NY are getting out of hand. Every expressway or pwky, from the cross island to the grand central, are getting worse every day with these mosterous sized potholes. I call 311 everyday to report potholes to have them repaird, however, they don't even fix it properly. These ding bats pour a bunch of tar into the hole, but don't use a steam roller to smooth it over, and they don't use liquid tar to conceal around the damaged area. These potholes would drive anyone insane
Old 03-31-2005, 10:07 AM

Yes, that bubble is probably a belt that broke inside the tire. Like everyone said, just get that one replaced with one that has similar tread life....I'm not sure if you want to pay for all 4 new ones . ..safety comes first!