5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

problem while car is cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 12:03 AM

problem while car is cold

Recently i've had this problem with my 2001 GLE (auto)... When i start it up, and drive it before its completely warmed up, its really jerky. For example, i put it in drive and start to press on the gas pedal, but im still just rolling forward as if i wasnt pressing the gas at all... and then suddenly it will lurch forward as drive engages. As it warms up the problem goes away and it drives normally. Any idea whats going on here?
Old 03-31-2005, 01:23 AM

I had the same problem man and my MAF was bad since I bougth the car. I got the MAF fixed and have not noticed any jerking when cold, it was getting really irritating. I dont know if that was what was wrong but after I got the MAF fixed its like a new engine. Totally more powerful and smooth all threw the ranges.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:45 AM
PTP

Originally Posted by Darius
Recently i've had this problem with my 2001 GLE (auto)... When i start it up, and drive it before its completely warmed up, its really jerky. For example, i put it in drive and start to press on the gas pedal, but im still just rolling forward as if i wasnt pressing the gas at all... and then suddenly it will lurch forward as drive engages. As it warms up the problem goes away and it drives normally. Any idea whats going on here?
I dont think its your MAF or you would see problems even after its warmed up. There are several things you can explore:
It could be a dirtly throttle body, check this out if you want to clean it up: http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/517
It could be the gas you use. In the winter seasons the gas in many areas is oxygenated for emission reasons. This is known to cause problems with Maximas(and other cars) with cold start ups. If this is the cause of your problems it should go away in warmer weather.
It could also be your battery. In cold weather a weak battery can give you lower crank power than needed causing the RPMs to dip and the car to hesitiate.
There are other possibilities as well like some the the sensors.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Assuming your 2001 has an electronic drive-by-wire throttle like in the 2002s and up, it may be a dirty solenoid or cable. I have never heard of this problem in Maximas, but it is well known in other makes. In the cold, dirt and grease around the solenoid (or cable) gets thick and sticky, making for the delayed and jerky response you described. As the engine warms up and the grease thins out, the problem disappears. A dirty throttle body may cause the same problems, but would likely affect idle and power smoothness as well.

Of course if you press the gas and your revs go up, but your car doesn’t move, then the problem may be your torque converter. If your car was originally sold in the South, but then you moved up North, the old transmission fluid may not be appropriate for your new climate. But since you said your car rolls forward without pressing the gas, I doubt this is your problem.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by PTP
I dont think its your MAF or you would see problems even after its warmed up. There are several things you can explore:
It could be a dirtly throttle body, check this out if you want to clean it up: http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/517
It could be the gas you use. In the winter seasons the gas in many areas is oxygenated for emission reasons. This is known to cause problems with Maximas(and other cars) with cold start ups. If this is the cause of your problems it should go away in warmer weather.
It could also be your battery. In cold weather a weak battery can give you lower crank power than needed causing the RPMs to dip and the car to hesitiate.
There are other possibilities as well like some the the sensors.
Well its not really the weather because it will have this problem any time the car is cold, even if its warm outside. Maybe it is my battery... it died when i went to the snow in december, jumped it and never had a problem since. But the weather is warm here now...
Old 03-31-2005, 01:50 PM

This happened with my accord as well. I think if you already changed the transmission fluid, then try checking the torque converter...perhaps it's got worn down already....depending on how many miles you have on this car
Old 03-31-2005, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by tsk808
This happened with my accord as well. I think if you already changed the transmission fluid, then try checking the torque converter...perhaps it's got worn down already....depending on how many miles you have on this car
about 42,000
Old 03-31-2005, 02:14 PM

jerking max

I have about 78k on mine and have tried all mentioned options except trans fluid changed. Need to have this done bought used. Live i Ohio and am dealing with oxygen in fuel never noticed when purchased during warmer weather. Just my .02