5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Manhole Ripped Car Apart!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 08:54 AM

Manhole Ripped Car Apart!

Hey Guys,

I Need To Vent Some Of My Anger Somewhere, My 01 Gle Was Just Ripped From The Underbody By A F#*kin Manhole. I Hate New York Streets, Brooklyn Roads Sux! My Oil Pan Broken, My Transmission Mount Shot, Probably Some Other Stuff Got F'd Up With The Hit. I Got To Wait Til Monday To See The Damage And Look At How Bad It Is. The Only Thing That Is Good Is That Only Motor Oil Was Leaking But I Just Don't Know What Esle Is Going On Under There. Got To Wait Til I Get It Up On The Lift And See And Take Pix Of Everything Under The Car. Tryin To Get The ******* City To Pay For Damages And Repairs On My Car.

N E Way Til Tomorrow I Can't Really Know How Bad The Damage Is.

Lata All.....

Joe
Old 04-10-2005, 09:25 AM

heh-heh....
you said "manhole"...
=)
Old 04-10-2005, 09:26 AM

what road was that, im around bk all the time and the roads are horrible.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was on a highway here in Utah and there were tearing the top part of the road up so they could resurface it. I guess there machine took a little too much off in one spot and when I hit it, it bent both wheels on my left side. I took pics, made notes as to what mile marker I was by, what time, direction, etc and called the DOT and got a check to replace my two wheels and tires. Good Luck.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Donating i30 Owner

... man ive gone across several lanes avoiding holes in the city.. yea where in bk.. i go to school there.. . damm the "manhole"...
Old 04-10-2005, 10:20 AM

damn sorry about your car... was the manhole cover missing? can you let us know what road it is.... ? would like to know not to get caught on it.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:04 PM

I don't see how a manhole could cause that much damage, is the cover missing? Otherwise that's very hard to believe.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:19 PM

Sorry to hear about your car, but good luck getting anything from the city. Two weeks ago i was driving on the belt parkway and they had a pothole that was so huge it caused over 14 cars to either blow out tires or rims and tires. My tire went out called the city and they will send me a complaint form in the mail that i can fill out, delivery takes about two weeks. Its unfortunate what happened and NYC streets suck, good luck with your car.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:47 PM

i heard about the belt parkway thing. a couple weeks ago i was on the BQE and i ran over some kind of pipe and it ripped a hole in my chassis and my fuel tank. my full tank of gas all leaked out in a couple minutes. it also dented my y-pipe and my cat. now the car sounds like crap. let me know how it goes with trying to get the city to pay for the damages.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:29 PM

thanks to all,

well the street is on E.77th St and Glenwood Ave, its a one way street. the entire street is like that. The manhole was cover however there is a nice dip/incline that is rite be4 the manhole and the manhole is out over the surface. These things are bad cuz its not tar/cement its metal against metal and that causes damage. I'll see what happens with the city they might be reluctant to send me the money but I'm not eatin the cost on this ****Z its looking like it might come out to a lot of money. just always go over them with ur tire and never with ur car rite under it. I learn this the hard way. But the fact is that I could of avoid the hole, if the **** in front of me didn't stop short and jam his brakes and sharp turn into his drive way. Thats the reason I hit it dead on cuz I had no choice but to go directly over it and not around the damn thing. But this ****z happens in Brooklyn, so those who live in the carnarise/ralph ave area beware... nah fU$k that just beware of every G-D road out in NYC!!! No matter where you go theres always bad roads.. might move down south for those nice clean/smooth roads/highways!

Thanks Again

Joe
Old 04-10-2005, 11:39 PM

i think you can sue the city for that.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:02 AM

Definately take some pictures of where it happened, and what it did to your car. Then get at least three different estimates from mechanics. Send in a complaint to the DEPT of Trans, and they should take car of you. I would also take note of any other thing that possibly needs to be replaced under the car and attribute it to the accident.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:48 AM

wow, i didn't know it was that bad with the manhole, now i can see how it can cause damage. Sorry to hear about that, I can't believe the road suck in the east coast. Surprising that the city/state don't even invest money to rehabilate the roads.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:08 AM

probably what coused even more damage that when u slammed the brakes.. the car front of car dipped down so more parts came in contact with the manhole. but all in all i agree with you... gotta do some freakin high *** maintance driving in NYC.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:39 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

man that sucks.

it's so anoying trying to read first post
Old 04-11-2005, 07:31 AM

well looks like i need a new oil pan and a new catalytic converter. when the car dipped low from the breaks, it slamed on the manhole and broke the engine pipe where the catalytic converter is, now the problem with nissan is that they place the oil pans above the catalytic converter and the pipe so its a pain to get to it and change but this will take more labor and a lot more money... all in all its coming out about estimated $800.00 to fix the damage. a new catalytic converter cost about 600 from the dealer, which isn't a pretty number, tryin to find a guy here in ny that has an aftermarket one for cheaper, the oil pan isnt so bad only like $80 bucks new from the dealer which isn't so bad, but that damn converter is the expensive part and the labor on this will run me a pretty penny.

Well i'll keep you guys posted and see how the car is doing after i get out the shop tomorrow hopefully...

thanks again for the advice.. i called the dot and getting the paper work sent out to file a claim with the DOT and i'll have to wait to see what happens next.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:05 AM

You need 3 quotes for the full price of repairs, including parts and labor. Don't do the legwork finding discount parts now - get a settlement from the city for the quoted repairs, then you can do whatever you want with the settlement payment, including finding discount parts and pocketing the difference.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:27 AM

called the DOT and got all the info on the claim form, they will send it out and it should be here in a few days. Only require one estimate, and if you have pics send them, I have over 70 pics of different sides of the street. I got one thing going for me rite now and its that the manhole was marker'd down with the orange stripe indicating that someone from the city was already notifyed about the problem on the street cuz each F&#king manhole had it on the same block and i got pics of that too to show it. I know i'll be waiting around for the money for a while but I'm not going to give up on this claim. this isn't a few bucks its going to cost over 800 to fix atleast so now im out $800 which could of went to something more useful (eg. system, shocks, etc...) G-dDamn NYC!!!
Old 04-12-2005, 07:42 AM
DONE

dude the dealership is killin you for a cat. you can get a high flow cat for like 20-250 bucks.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:58 AM

yea I need the whole new pipe along with it, its expensive becuase its a complex f#$kin piece that can't be welded on.. and its a flex pipe so you don't feel the engine vibration when idle in the car. SUX i no, the dealership will always be expensive, but I might have a place that is going order one for me aftermarket for about 300 or so. Just not sure if they have it in stock might need to order it.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:15 PM

Damn, I feel for you. I really hate this city. We shouldn't have to deal with these obstacle courses we call roads in a city like NY. It's a damn shame. I just blew up a 15" rim (on my Civic) on a mooncrater on Atlantic Ave. a couple of weeks ago - rim is destroyed, tire is destroyed, and I think the axle is cracked, too. I see grease splattered on the inside of the wheel-well and I can smell something burning when I drive. If it had been the MAX, I would've gone postal. Makes me fear putting 18s on the MAX - I know I'm gonna regret it, but I gotta do it. My saving grace is that I live in LI so I spend most of my time out there but I work in Brooklyn, so.................

Good luck getting $$ from the city. Maybe they'll settle, but who knows how long it'll be before you see a penny. Maybe I'll go take some pics of the crater on Atlantic and file a claim for the f--k of it.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Banned

I try to avoid manholes at all costs, in all my years of driving, never dipped in one...lotsa ladies in the back seat tho
Old 04-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Rob01ski

My leads brother works for dot in chicago and they are told to make the roads last 7 to 10 years, its all union bull**** basically drain taxes to pay for the mobs union dues and all that crap, if there was no union the roads would last alot longer, its just a fact that they build all roads the same, and they dont build the ones that get the most traffic stronger,
gawd idiots!!!!!!!!
its all politics basically keeping fat lazy retards working hard, here in chicago they never fix the highways right always working on it, they need to go to Germany and learn from them how to build kick *** roads like the autobahn here that would rule

Old 04-12-2005, 09:05 PM

sorry to hear that...I bent one of my 19's
Old 04-13-2005, 06:07 AM

yea city sent out the forms already but they asking for a lot of dumb Sh*t from me, I have pics of everything from the manhole, to the street, to the damage under the car, to every piece that was hurt and needs to be replaced. But they want notorized letter, they want the messurements of the depth, hight, and length of damn hole. I'm go do whatever they ask for, so they can't come back saying that I'm missing something and denie my claim.. I'm going to try and get money from them, I mean why give up, just try to fight them out.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:08 AM

to all who don't know drive very very slow and with caution when in NYC, these streets are killers out there.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by JoE'sMaX01
yea city sent out the forms already but they asking for a lot of dumb Sh*t from me, I have pics of everything from the manhole, to the street, to the damage under the car, to every piece that was hurt and needs to be replaced. But they want notorized letter, they want the messurements of the depth, hight, and length of damn hole. I'm go do whatever they ask for, so they can't come back saying that I'm missing something and denie my claim.. I'm going to try and get money from them, I mean why give up, just try to fight them out.
Goodluck and Good fight. The city purposely makes it as hard and as frustrating as possible to make a claim, and when you actually do make an appeal they will look for any reason to deny it. I hope everything works out, but knowing how the city is its going to be hard to get them to pay for absolutely everything.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:58 AM

Thanks RIP, I figed that its going to be a long fight, but hey I got the time, and what do I have to lose. It states if the claim isn't settled in 1 year then I can sue in court, I really hope that it don't take that damn long cuz rite now this money is coming out of pocket which hurts the most....I'll keep fightin to see atleast a lil something from the city...
Old 04-13-2005, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by JoE'sMaX01
Thanks RIP, I figed that its going to be a long fight, but hey I got the time, and what do I have to lose. It states if the claim isn't settled in 1 year then I can sue in court, I really hope that it don't take that damn long cuz rite now this money is coming out of pocket which hurts the most....I'll keep fightin to see atleast a lil something from the city...
Im glad you have not givin up yet, when my brand new tire popped because the city didnt fix a huge pothole, i couldnt get them to cover the cost. But the sad thing is that the pothole was in the newspaper and over 14 cars suffered from it. Two days later pothole was fixed and almost three weeks and i still didnt get my complaint papers. Make a long story short i wish you the best of luck and i hope you stick it to the city, rape them like they rape us daily.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by R.I.P. Grandma
Im glad you have not givin up yet, when my brand new tire popped because the city didnt fix a huge pothole, i couldnt get them to cover the cost. But the sad thing is that the pothole was in the newspaper and over 14 cars suffered from it. Two days later pothole was fixed and almost three weeks and i still didnt get my complaint papers. Make a long story short i wish you the best of luck and i hope you stick it to the city, rape them like they rape us daily.

I think I know which pothole your talkin about on Atlantic Ave next to Penn Ave ( I think) But I got them papers fast like a day after I spoke to the control center claim processing place for the city, the lady hooked me up cuz I did 2 claim forms one over the automated system and one over the phone with an acutal lady who sent them out next day (nice lady) but now I need to get all the paperwork in order and get this sent out ASAP. I'm not waitin a second for these bastards I intend on getting my money back for my repairs.

Thanks for the support and I'll make sure to let everyone know if I every get a dime from the F*#kin city, on another note the Max is getting out tomorrow, I hope she drives the same
Old 07-16-2005, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by SR20RACER
I was on a highway here in Utah and there were tearing the top part of the road up so they could resurface it. I guess there machine took a little too much off in one spot and when I hit it, it bent both wheels on my left side. I took pics, made notes as to what mile marker I was by, what time, direction, etc and called the DOT and got a check to replace my two wheels and tires. Good Luck.
Lucky bastard, same thing happened to me a few years ago with my car by Newark Airport. I had two blowouts on the right side and went after NJ, Newark, the contractor doing the work, everyone. No one owned up to responsibility and the tow, replacement tires (2), replacement wheels (2), alignment, & balance came to around $1100. NJ wouldn't pay so I wound up claiming a deduction that slipped through