5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Do the GLEs have a softer ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 08:00 AM

Do the GLEs have a softer ride?

I'm thinking of trading my SE in for a GLE if the ride is any better? Not looking for great handling. If I was I wouldn't own a Maxima. This car has given me nothing but problems since the day I bought it and I'm banking on the the chance that its just a lemon. I like the engine too much to scrap the car all together. Can someone who has driven both models tell me their impressions? Also, what about the 3.5 Altima SE's ride? Thanks.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i cant speak for the altima, but the SE ive driven just seems a little more firm in corners and a little less floaty over bumps. not much difference, but you will notice it. i wouldnt call it better, i prefer the stiffer ride, but it IS softer.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:43 AM

I test drove both SE's and GLE's when looking for my Max. a couple months back, and ended up going w/a GLE 'cause of the softer ride. The SE's do ride harder, from what I remember. The GLE seems to have a "floatier" ride, if that makes any sense. I've had my GLE for 2.5 months now, and I'm happy w/it.

I agree w/you on the handling thing. I went from a Mazda Miata- one of the most well balanced, exceptional handling cars on the road- to the Maxima. I wasn't willing to have the firm ride of the SE when it didn't handle nearly was well as the Miata, and that's why I chose a GLE. (Plus the leather and other options it came with.)
Old 04-15-2005, 08:49 AM
Maxima Pilot

GLE and GXEs are indeed softer-riding as they have different (stiffer) spings and struts as well as 55-series tires (215/55/17's) versus the SEs lower-profile 225/50/17's

The Altima has far better rear suspension dynamics than our Max, but it's not that huge a difference unless you are driving on really sheety roads.

Now, all this said, here's the dilemma: you car is at it's worst moment in it's life for trade-in or sale in terms of depreciation. Unless you get another Max of the same year or newer, you might get raped so.......do your shopping carefully and consider that you can install GXE/GLE springs and Tokico Blue shocks for under 600 bucks installed. U can get the springs used from someone here on the Board who has lowered his/her GXE/GLE and the shocks from Shox.com. BTW, the Tokico Blues's nice damping will completely eliminate the 'floaty' feeling of the stock GLE/GXE

If your tires need replacing now, instead of the shock & spring swap, you can work on the tires first by installing a quality, soft-riding 215/55/17 tire like the Avon Tech 550 (if you need winter traction capability) or the Avon Tech 500 is you live in a 'no snow' area. You can prolly get these tires for $550-600 installed as they are a screaming buy -and very highly rated for ride comfort on the Tirerack surveys.

Either way, do the math....it might be cheaper over time to 'convert' your SE to GLE specs than to trade it in but that could change if get a screaming deal on a trade. The point it that's it definitely possible to soften up your Max A LOT, it all depends on the economics of this versus a trade....

Good luck
Old 04-15-2005, 08:54 AM

i've been in a 2k2 GLE (my mom almost bought one in 2k2) and the ride was definitely softer than than my 2k2 SE...although my SE's ride isn't what i call 'harsh' it is definitely more so than the GLE is...but IMO, that is not a very good reason to go through the trouble of trading your car in...the ride on the SE isnt THAT bad...just my .02
Old 04-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Z

Galo: 215/55-16, not 17.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:09 AM

Thanks for all the great replies. I'm not trading it in just for the ride as you'll see in my orig post. If it wasn't for the VQ35, I'd dump the car altogether. I'm just looking for a little better ride. I guess I'll just have to drive one myself.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
Galo: 215/55-16, not 17.
wrong...galo was right...the 2k2+ GLEs have 17s...with a tire size of 215/55/17
Old 04-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Z

Oh, he's talking about the 5.5s. I figured his car is a 5th gen, but I didn't realize thread starter's car is a 2k2.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
Oh, he's talking about the 5.5s. I figured his car is a 5th gen, but I didn't realize thread starter's car is a 2k2.
it's all good...i misread stuff all the time...as a matter of fact, i did it in this thread as well...sorry bout that CT...that would definitely make me want to trade my car in (for a GLE if you really would rather the better ride)
Old 04-15-2005, 09:22 AM
Play with my balls

What makes the SE stiffer is because of the higher rear spring rate. The other difference is the thicker front stabilizer bar. Although this might not affect the bumpiness of the ride, it surely makes it tighter and a tad bit more responsive. Therefore, it's tighter in turns. If you're looking for a floaty more luxurious ride, then the GLE would be right for you.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:26 AM
Maxima Pilot

SE's front spring rate is also higher.....
Old 04-15-2005, 09:30 AM

My TL Type S has a sport suspension and it rides a million times smoother than the GLE. I dread road humps and speed pumps with people in the car. Oh and worse than that is old rail road tracks.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:37 AM

Interesting, when I was looking the sales rep told me they all had the same suspension, That the trim levels were just that - for spoiler, wheels, trim color etc.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:39 AM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by bigsherv
My TL Type S has a sport suspension and it rides a million times smoother than the GLE. I dread road humps and speed pumps with people in the car. Oh and worse than that is old rail road tracks.
And the point is.......he should trade his SE for a TL type S? I guess you just skimmed over the first post instead of reading it carefully with the intent to contribute something positive because the thread starter's post clearly says he likes the engine enough to warrant 'not scrapping the car altogether'.

If you have nothing technical or of value to contribute to this thread, kindly stay away. And dont get me wrong...I love the TL, have recommended it to many people and if my Max were to be totalled tomorrow, I would get a TL, but that's not the point of this thread....
Old 04-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Z

Originally Posted by bigsherv
I <3 the TL Type-S. It was *the* 4-door sports car of the last generation of cars. So sexy. It was originally the car we were gonna' get before we got the Maxipad. :P
Old 04-15-2005, 11:04 AM

Just a couple of thoughts - After 3 SE's, bought a 2K3 GLE (bony butt isn't getting any younger and after test driving both liked the ride and the std equipment). Mostly because of the harsh effects of Nissan cheapening the rear suspension in 1995 for gen 4's, I was never as happy with the ride and handling of my 98 as with the 93. By adding the factory spolier and 17" alloys as options and then installing a FSTB and RSB, I have a sporty looking version with good roll control and a little softer and less busy ride. Having the 17"s, I can always go to a wider lower profile tire if I felt the need. All-in-all, I'm pleased with the trade-off.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:13 AM

My point is the GLE has a rough ride too, rougher than the Type S which is supose to have a rougher ride than most cars. I did not say to get a type S I was saying was you will experience a rough ride no matter what with the Maxima.

Originally Posted by Galo
And the point is.......he should trade his SE for a TL type S? I guess you just skimmed over the first post instead of reading it carefully with the intent to contribute something positive because the thread starter's post clearly says he likes the engine enough to warrant 'not scrapping the car altogether'.

If you have nothing technical or of value to contribute to this thread, kindly stay away. And dont get me wrong...I love the TL, have recommended it to many people and if my Max were to be totalled tomorrow, I would get a TL, but that's not the point of this thread....
Old 04-15-2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by go-max
Interesting, when I was looking the sales rep told me they all had the same suspension, That the trim levels were just that - for spoiler, wheels, trim color etc.
They are idiots. All of them. I have yet to find one who got into the biz because they like cars or know anything about them. They all have the "get rich quick with no effort because I'm an undiscovered superstar and deserve it" mentality. Not surprisingly, most lost their old jobs and couldn't find or qualify for anythinge else.

When I went to check out the new Max last summer, the rep looked at me and goes, "I don't think they make those anymore." When I pointed out the whole row out front and the one in the showroom he goes, "Hmm. I never noticed those before. So these are the new ones, huh?" He looks at my 5th gen and goes, "Are you sure yours is older? It looks newer to me." So after we settled that, I ask to test drive a stick. He goes, "Nissan is a luxury brand now. We don't make those stick kind of shifters that go in cheap cars anymore." Oh, brother! So now he is suddenly an expert on a car he didn't even know existed 5-minutes ago?! I think not!

Once I called a Mazda dealer and asked if they had any 5-speeds available. The guy assured me he did. When I got there, he showed me a 4-speed auto. I ask if he made a mistake. With a straight face he goes, "These are 5-speeds; 4 for forward and 1 for reverse." I wanted to tell him, "Reverse is a direction, not a speed!"

Last but not least, I took a Camry on an exit ramp at maybe 30mph once and commented on the body lean. The rep next to me rudely shouts, "You don't know how to drive! I take customers on that at 65mph all the time! I did it just today!" I pull over and tell him if he can do that, I would buy the car right there in cash. He starts sweating bullets and declines. Then I say if he won't do it, I'm going to try it, but he suddenly has to get back to his office.

I could go on and on. But my point is that although you expect sales reps to be car people knowledgeable about their own products, they are not. Even if you just read a magazine article before you went in, you would already know a lot more than they do. At least you would know the car exists...
Old 04-15-2005, 12:22 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Ehh no, a bone stock Maxima GXE with 16" wheels rides very soft compared to a TL-S, I work at a Acura dealer and I know. NON Type S TL is comparable to a GXE/GLE Maxima in terms of ride- both with 16" wheels. I can't belive someone is sayin the stock ride is too stiff, I think you would probably hurdle and vomit in my JIC FLTA2 suspended Maxi.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:30 PM
drag racing is for wussies

bigEL- you need to stop shopping at Nissan, Mazda, Toyota- and walk into a Acura, Lexus or Infiniti dealership where the people who work there actually know their product well. I almost got a remaining 04 M45 for 12K dollars off the sticker price, I worked the salesman down so hard on the price at the Chicago Autoshow, if I only had the $$$ to pay cash I woulda given it to the guy- he was very knowledgable, understanding, and friendly. Seemed like a car nut himself. I HATE car salesmen- they are all friggn coke heads if you ask me, and every dealership has those kinds of people working there. But I find less dumbphucks working at the higher car line stores than your Nissan, Chevy, Ford, Honda stores. If I walked into Nissan and asked the salesman what engine code the Titan or 350Z has and they dont know I would walk out or ask for a diff salesman.