5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Slow Window Syndrome...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 12:42 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Slow Window Syndrome...

so i know many of us have that slow window syndrome. they roll up like they have no power and take forever. i had done most of the necessary tasks, silicone on the rubber moldings, and clean the window tray. but then it dawned on me. the window itself rubs against the molding can cause friction in itself.

well it so happens that we're gettin some rainy weather in NYC so i went ahead and did the rain-X treatment on all the windows. as expected, when i roll them up and down, they go with the quickness. much much faster, noticably quicker.

so, for those with SWS, some rain-x to give those windows the slippery treatment isn't such a bad thing at all. dont' forget to spray up the sides of the windows with some silicone spray to soften up the rubber.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:23 PM
maximized2

Thanks I'll try it later today, after the Sixers whip up on the Pistons!!!!

Old 04-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i'm glad i dont have this problem..i roll down my windows whenever I get a chance, and they go FAST....i mean REALLY fast, sometimes i find myself holding the rear ones down a lot longer than i actually need to because i dont even realize they are down because they go so quick...i do use rain-x on all my windows though, so that may be why they're still moving so quick....
Old 04-23-2005, 02:52 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by PoLo
so i know many of us have that slow window syndrome. they roll up like they have no power and take forever. i had done most of the necessary tasks, silicone on the rubber moldings, and clean the window tray. but then it dawned on me. the window itself rubs against the molding can cause friction in itself.

well it so happens that we're gettin some rainy weather in NYC so i went ahead and did the rain-X treatment on all the windows. as expected, when i roll them up and down, they go with the quickness. much much faster, noticably quicker.

so, for those with SWS, some rain-x to give those windows the slippery treatment isn't such a bad thing at all. dont' forget to spray up the sides of the windows with some silicone spray to soften up the rubber.
God.. what Rain X treatment... just the regular one.. bottle...???
Old 04-23-2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lontar1
are you asking what kind of rain-x to get?? that is the actual brand...rain-x and they ususally are seen in a small yellow box that says rain-x treatment on it, and have a small bottle of the stuff...
Old 04-23-2005, 02:54 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by Lontar1
yeah. just the bottle. i call it the "treatment" cuase of the job it did in fixing the slow windows. it was just buggin me how slow they were then it dawned on me that dirty windows would cause friction. the only thing left now is the tint paper prolly causes friction so i want to look for some glass cleaner or tint cleaner that'll leave the other side smooth. once that's fixed, it should speed up the windows even more.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:18 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

yeah. just the bottle. i call it the "treatment" cuase of the job it did in fixing the slow windows. it was just buggin me how slow they were then it dawned on me that dirty windows would cause friction. the only thing left now is the tint paper prolly causes friction so i want to look for some glass cleaner or tint cleaner that'll leave the other side smooth. once that's fixed, it should speed up the windows even more.
ok .. thanks.. I thought there was a treatment....I will get one...
Old 04-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Very very clever lol. Ive been having this problem ever since winter ended
Old 04-25-2005, 04:25 AM

So let me get this straight, you only use this stuff on the outside part of the window...i mean i got tints(20%) so i don`t want to damage the film...
Old 04-25-2005, 06:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey maximized2 did you use rain-x or your tears after witnessing what Detroit did to the Sixers? Go Bulls
Old 04-25-2005, 06:36 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by Melaza
So let me get this straight, you only use this stuff on the outside part of the window...i mean i got tints(20%) so i don`t want to damage the film...
nothing on the inside. although, i would like to do someting to the inside by the film as well, as that can obviously get dirty and would require some sort of cleaner to smooth it out.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:35 PM
2-Wheelin it...

i'm bumping this up. i posted this last year and it solved my window issue. i just gave it another Rain-X treatment today and my windows are back to normal speed. this may help some new members out.

and no, i still haven't figured out what to use on the inside windows with tint, although i've used nothing more than regular tint-safe window cleaner.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:56 PM

I'll have to try this. What are some tint safe window cleaners? I just got my windows tinted and I here your not supposed to use any ammonia based products.

Is it safe to use ammonia based products such as windex or glass cleaner on the outside of the windows or will it still have the same effect as using them in the inside of the windows on the tint itself
Old 04-16-2006, 01:44 AM
I'm watching you, boy...

I've freakin' got to try this on my right-front window! It rolls up so slow... I know one tint-safe window cleaner is Armor-All. Basically, anything without ammonia is safe and won't destroy the film. I used Armor-All on my windows in my Camry for years and they never had a problem. Their glass wipes are ammonia-free also; I keep a can in the trunk.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:22 AM

can anyone post up a link to that diagram on where to put the lubricants? My dads friends has I30 and thought he needed a new motor but his window is fine and it rolls up REALLY slow. I told him I just need to get some lubricant and put it in there and he'll be fine, but since this thread is right here can someone point that out for me?
Old 04-16-2006, 07:53 AM
I C U

The Silicone Spray trick he mentioned definately makes a big difference. I had the same slow window problem on when I used to drive my Acura Legend. And rain X works wonders in... well... the Rain.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:21 AM

how long the rainx last on windows?
Old 04-16-2006, 09:27 AM
I C U

I found that the wipes actually last longer than the liquid. On my car it lasted at least 2 weeks or so. Others may have different results.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:23 PM

What kind of silicone spray did you guys use?
Old 04-16-2006, 12:48 PM
2-Wheelin it...

mine is called silicone lubricant by GUNK.