5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Spent so much on gas :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 07:23 AM

Spent so much on gas :(

Im so sad.. Spent $72.50 on gas in 2 days.. drove 380miles on one tank..ARG our gas milage sucks.. only 23mpg?!?! I wish it was more

i cant afford to drive alot anymore.. i hate weekends liek this when i do alot of driving.

Fileld up 15.1 gallons on Friday for 34.75
Filled up 16.4 gallons This morning for 37.75

All in all drove 381.5 miles (90%) Highway with a couple time goin redline and crusing at 75mph...

My baby likes to be driven
Old 05-22-2005, 07:25 AM

Since OCt 2002 I've driven my baby 62k miles... wow and this year i've cut down on driving too since i lived int he city this year..

2003 and 2004 i put close to 26k Miles a year
Old 05-22-2005, 07:26 AM

It's costing me $37 to fill up every time. I fill up once a week or once every week and a half.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by RoRLegion
It's costing me $37 to fill up every time. I fill up once a week or once every week and a half.

YEa but this is in 2 days.. 72bucks puts the dent into an already shriveled up wallet hahah

but i do love driving my car..

i usually fill up every week or 1.5 weeks..

i have a BAD habit of driving until the yellow light comes on.. and then every drivign alittle further then i should..

Like this morning.. i was in Brokton,Ma when my yellow light came on.. i managed to get to malden,ma and drive 75mph safely haha (its a good 30 minute drive without traffic).. that was kinda exciting
Old 05-22-2005, 07:53 AM

idk if you have put an intake in your car at all, i have noticed a drastic increase in hwy mpg after i have installed my injen intake, am i the only one who has noticed this? (100th POST!!!)
Old 05-22-2005, 08:02 AM

Yeah I agree the gas mileage on the Maxima is not that good. I am seriously thiking about going Hybrid the next car I buy esecialy nowadays there are a lot more hybrids to choose from other than the Honda Inshight or Toyota Prius.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes Yes Yes, mileage sucks and gas prices in mass. suck............Right now i am driving a rental volvo s60 so i've been saving a ton of money on gas...5 cylinder that gets pretty good gas mileage, but car is slow as$ hell......can't understand how people spend 30 grand plus on these things....must be all the safety equipment that comes standard
Old 05-22-2005, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by MaxedOut
Im so sad.. Spent $72.50 on gas in 2 days.. drove 380miles on one tank..ARG our gas milage sucks.. only 23mpg?!?! I wish it was more

i cant afford to drive alot anymore.. i hate weekends liek this when i do alot of driving.

All in all drove 381.5 miles (90%) Highway with a couple time goin redline and crusing at 75mph...

Dude i get 280 how in the hell do you get 380!!!!!
Old 05-22-2005, 10:35 AM

It was 90% highway.. usually i get ~300... well barely 300 if i drive mostly city..

I do have an intake.. but i dunno.. im sick of paying out the as$ for gas.. i really need to get over my dislike for public transportation
Old 05-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Kevlo for President

Drive like a granny.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

gas mileage from the sticker price is not truly accurate. Like you say, it costs a lot on gas. I moved closer to work so that I didn't have to drive all but 7 miles one way. I was on the road a lot this week filled up twice for 62 bucks. I get about 22-24 a gallon mixed between highway and city.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by MaxedOut

380 miles and your sad? I get 350 if I am lucky. Come on out to Cali.

Gas prices average 2.60-2.70 for 91 (two weeks ago I was paying 2.79)
No 93
Traffic everywhere even on weekends and on the streets
Old 05-22-2005, 11:49 AM

Save Gas...get an R6

I fill up my bike with $6 and make about 150-200 miles.

I fill up my car with $32 and make about 280-300 miles.
(going to Florida I made 440 miles to the tank, that's going 90-100 the whole time.)

I hate to fill up the car so I do most of my driving now with my bike.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

Originally Posted by SixxOne
380 miles and your sad? I get 350 if I am lucky. Come on out to Cali.

Gas prices average 2.60-2.70 for 91 (two weeks ago I was paying 2.79)
No 93
Traffic everywhere even on weekends and on the streets

haha i feel your pain......i really only get lucky when i hit 300 a tank.... plus irvine gas prices are almost at the $3 range....which i only think it will be long to get there given summer time is comin up.....oh well that's the economy for ya. BOO on the war and bush!
Old 05-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Looking for a few good Maximas

Originally Posted by bugbite77
idk if you have put an intake in your car at all, i have noticed a drastic increase in hwy mpg after i have installed my injen intake, am i the only one who has noticed this? (100th POST!!!)
You're not the only one. I put a Jim Wolf POP Charger on both the 2k and 2k3 and it made a difference in gas mileage as you stated. The car breathes better, I guess.

As far as gas prices, the average cost to fill up the Max will probably be between $32 and $38. Get used to it. We will be paying between $1.80 and $2.20 a gallon from now on... with the regular surges throughout the summertime and around major holidays like Memorial Day and Labor Day (and July 4th) when people do LOTS of driving.

The world population isn't decreasing, it's increasing. As is the number of cars... China used to be a country with many bikes and few cars. That is changing. They are developing at an alarming rate... and affecting the world market as they go... raw crude, scrap metal, iron ore, concrete, the works. The price index in many industries is up, and is going to stay up, as China (and others) start to buy more and more materials.

My step dad worked on an iron ore mine a long time ago in Northern Minnesota. The mine closed down years ago when Japanese steel affected the US steel industry. Workers lost their jobs, whole towns were affected. Now those same mines are up and running again... new jobs, new growth. Wonder why? The Chinese bought out the mines and need the raw ore.

I know a guy who works in the metals industry. He said years ago countries would come to the table for bids... the US, the EU, China, etc. The US and EU had stellar reps and would get their bids, China and others would get squat since they had low reps and little money. Now a lot of things are made in China... and now they have a lot of money, and they are spending it - developing their country with rapid growth. Now the US is losing out bids to China because the dollar is weak. This isn't a "empire is ending" thing - times are changing, and the world economy is for real.

But don't fret on jobs lost... yeah, factories move to China, Mexico, etc... heck, walk into a Crate & Barrel store and LOOK at the bottom sticker for the items in the store... last time I visited I counted at LEAST 10 countries - Mexico, China, Indonesia, Thailand, Taiwan, the list goes on. The tech sector took a hit with India... but remember, cheaper labor means more $$$ for the US companies, which means more research and development here in the US, which means more high-end (higher paid) tech jobs in the US. So let the other countries have their blue collar factories... we'll have more white collar jobs to spend more $$$ on Maxima mods.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Maxima Pilot

Drove to Seattle and back yesterday....376 miles on 15.1 gallons or 24.9 MPG with five people in the car at an average (including a rest stop each way) speed of 62 mph.....normal cruise was 74-79 mph
Old 05-22-2005, 12:40 PM

:O i dunno bout yall but going from 7 mpg too 23 now with the max......im happier than a pig in **** ...i once spent a good 150 bucks in a weekend on that sucker... damn v8s
Old 05-22-2005, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by seventy5impala
:O i dunno bout yall but going from 7 mpg too 23 now with the max......im happier than a pig in **** ...i once spent a good 150 bucks in a weekend on that sucker... damn v8s
I guess you had a 75' Impala...? lol
Old 05-22-2005, 03:00 PM

drive the speed limit on the freeway. Lower constant rev means lower gas consumption.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by ChromeSE5
drive the speed limit on the freeway. Lower constant rev means lower gas consumption.
Not to mention less aerodynamic drag(aka wind resistance).

Aw heck; just do 5 miles above the speed limit; that way the state troopers won't bother you unless they're totally bored.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
Save Gas...get an R6

(going to Florida I made 440 miles to the tank, that's going 90-100 the whole time.)

Funny You should mention a bike.. In a couple days i will have the pleasure of lookin at a 2003 limited edition Black w/ red flame Yamaha R6 in my garage..

its not mine.. but ill be drooling every day lookign at it.. im gonna learn to ride next year..
Old 05-22-2005, 11:01 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I fill up my Maxima every 2 days- I only fill up 10 gallons worth of gasoline every fill up - Keeps the car weight down for better acceleration. I manage to get 260 miles with ALOT of redlines, alot of quick bursts of speed on the highway. When I get out on the open road its where the Maxi shines I plan on going camping this weekend its bout 500 mile drive back n forth with little bit of driving there- I plan on doing this on ONE tank of 93 octane Mobil gasoline 70-80MPH crusing speeds on the interstate and country roads.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:44 AM

I just came back from a big weekend road trip too. I was driving about 80-85mph on the highway and getting about 26-27mpg. I have the K&N panel filter and my timing advanced. I think it helps alot, plus the added benefit of more power when passing people.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
Save Gas...get an R6

85% of the people I know that ride have crashed there bike at least once. Plus I love AC and my music.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
I fill up my Maxima every 2 days- I only fill up 10 gallons worth of gasoline every fill up - Keeps the car weight down for better acceleration.

Keeping the car weight down by not filling up? You are not going to notice any difference in acceleration from a full tank to a 1/4 tank.

I would expect a comment like that from someone who drives a Civic.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:22 AM

Sorry OT

Sorry to knock you off your soap box, but I work in the technology field. Out sourcing is not helping the US economy at all. I don't know where you got that idea from. I am web designer and I have to work a regular 9-5 and do contracted work on the weekend to pay for school because I am under payed. I know you may be thinking that I am only 19, so what could I know, but bare with me. I used to work for a large web programming and design firm when I graduated from high school. We had clients ranging from import car magazines to mall clothing companies. They started laying people off, starting with the experienced and higher paid employees. Why? Because, younger and experienced were willing to work for less. Then all of us young people started getting laid off. Come to find out the company began outsourcing to India and more difficult programming to Germany. I would say roughly 50-60 programmers and designers were laid off within 6 months. I think this is BS because it is putting so many people out of work and under paying HIGHLY qualified workers.

Another big problem, is call center. I order a dell laptop and I wanted to call to get information about when it was going to be shipped and when it was to arrive (we all know how wonderful UPS can be). So I call and a person with a heavy accent answer the phone and only can answer three questions in barely feasible English. So I wasted 30 minutes of my day waiting to get an answer.

All I am saying is stop being a greedy and self centered person and realize the world isn't revolving around you.

Originally Posted by Army of Maxima
You're not the only one. I put a Jim Wolf POP Charger on both the 2k and 2k3 and it made a difference in gas mileage as you stated. The car breathes better, I guess.

As far as gas prices, the average cost to fill up the Max will probably be between $32 and $38. Get used to it. We will be paying between $1.80 and $2.20 a gallon from now on... with the regular surges throughout the summertime and around major holidays like Memorial Day and Labor Day (and July 4th) when people do LOTS of driving.

The world population isn't decreasing, it's increasing. As is the number of cars... China used to be a country with many bikes and few cars. That is changing. They are developing at an alarming rate... and affecting the world market as they go... raw crude, scrap metal, iron ore, concrete, the works. The price index in many industries is up, and is going to stay up, as China (and others) start to buy more and more materials.

My step dad worked on an iron ore mine a long time ago in Northern Minnesota. The mine closed down years ago when Japanese steel affected the US steel industry. Workers lost their jobs, whole towns were affected. Now those same mines are up and running again... new jobs, new growth. Wonder why? The Chinese bought out the mines and need the raw ore.

I know a guy who works in the metals industry. He said years ago countries would come to the table for bids... the US, the EU, China, etc. The US and EU had stellar reps and would get their bids, China and others would get squat since they had low reps and little money. Now a lot of things are made in China... and now they have a lot of money, and they are spending it - developing their country with rapid growth. Now the US is losing out bids to China because the dollar is weak. This isn't a "empire is ending" thing - times are changing, and the world economy is for real.

But don't fret on jobs lost... yeah, factories move to China, Mexico, etc... heck, walk into a Crate & Barrel store and LOOK at the bottom sticker for the items in the store... last time I visited I counted at LEAST 10 countries - Mexico, China, Indonesia, Thailand, Taiwan, the list goes on. The tech sector took a hit with India... but remember, cheaper labor means more $$$ for the US companies, which means more research and development here in the US, which means more high-end (higher paid) tech jobs in the US. So let the other countries have their blue collar factories... we'll have more white collar jobs to spend more $$$ on Maxima mods.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:23 AM

I drove to dallas and back at about 77-80 mph with a few runs up to 100-120 with my A/C on high and I averaged about 25 mpg. I was able to go about 450-500 miles on each fill up and my car is an auto with stock intake and all. I was quite surprised to say the least.....
Old 05-23-2005, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bones45
Keeping the car weight down by not filling up? You are not going to notice any difference in acceleration from a full tank to a 1/4 tank.

I would expect a comment like that from someone who drives a Civic.
To be honest, I do notice the difference in term of acceleration between before and after fill up and my car is in perfect condition. Let a big guy sit behind you then you know what I mean. The difference just not as prominent as one driving a Civic, but there it is.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:32 AM

Sorry OT

Sorry to knock you off your soap box, but I work in the technology field. Out sourcing is not helping the US economy at all. I don't know where you got that idea from. I am web designer and I have to work a regular 9-5 and do contracted work on the weekend to pay for school because I am under payed. I know you may be thinking that I am only 19, so what could I know, but bare with me. I used to work for a large web programming and design firm when I graduated from high school. We had clients ranging from import car magazines to mall clothing companies. They started laying people off, starting with the experienced and higher paid employees. Why? Because, younger and experienced were willing to work for less. Then all of us young people started getting laid off. Come to find out the company began outsourcing to India and more difficult programming to Germany. I would say roughly 50-60 programmers and designers were laid off within 6 months. I think this is BS because it is putting so many people out of work and under paying HIGHLY qualified workers.

Another big problem, is call center. I order a dell laptop and I wanted to call to get information about when it was going to be shipped and when it was to arrive (we all know how wonderful UPS can be). So I call and a person with a heavy accent answer the phone and only can answer three questions in barely feasible English. So I wasted 30 minutes of my day waiting to get an answer.

All I am saying is stop being a greedy and self centered person and realize the world isn't revolving around you.

Old 05-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Looking for a few good Maximas

SixxOne

Since when did I say the world was revolving around me?
Old 05-23-2005, 10:48 AM

...but remember, cheaper labor means more $$$ for the US companies, which means more research and development here in the US, which means more high-end (higher paid) tech jobs in the US. So let the other countries have their blue collar factories... we'll have more white collar jobs to spend more $$$ on Maxima mods.
To me, this says it all. Sorry, I was a little mad about this. I am done with this topic on the board. If you wanna chat about this you can pm me, email, etc. I not looking to argue or anything. Sorry again, didn't mean to come off as a d!ckhead.