5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Acceleration...i have none

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 11:50 PM

Acceleration...i have none

Ive had my max since 9/03...its an 01. When i first got it,it felt much more powerful when accelerating. Its still decent when im doing say 50,and hit the gas...... but when i come from a stop,or rolling stop its not like it used to be. Like, it doesnt push you back into the seat like it used to,when you really punched it. Besides normal wear and tear,is there anything i might want to look into that would cause this? A few months ago,my check engine light was on for 3 weeks,but went off before i got it checked for a code.Around the same time,when i started it cold,the rpms would surge,then drop,and do that a few times until it was really warmed up. This was in january so maybe thats why, but what about my wack acceleration?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:04 AM

yeah!!! the VAIS, or go to the gym that will always make your car faster. but glue your VAIS, search around if you dont know what it is
Old 06-02-2005, 01:12 AM

I used to have no acceleration back when I burned my clutch (flywheel would skip and i would get no rpms), so you might want to check it out if its stick.... If its the problem you should notice this REALLY REALLY burnt smell... I still have paranoya about that one.... =) Hope everything works out fine....
Old 06-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had following symptoms on my 2000:

-Chugging when I hit the accelerator after starting cold.
-progressed to no power on the highway
-sluggish perormance over time

Replacing the MAF sensor solved it. Also reprogrammed the ECU.

Do you have "chugging" when the engine is cold - fiirst 20/30 seconds of driving?
Old 06-02-2005, 05:42 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Needs a MAF sensor and ECU reprogram, common problem with older 3.0L 5th gens on original MAFs.

GLEs only came in AUTO.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by ses_again
I had following symptoms on my 2000:

-Chugging when I hit the accelerator after starting cold.
-progressed to no power on the highway
-sluggish perormance over time

Replacing the MAF sensor solved it. Also reprogrammed the ECU.

Do you have "chugging" when the engine is cold - fiirst 20/30 seconds of driving?
The last two definitely apply to my situation. im not sure what you mean exactly by chugging tho. I never drive it cold,thinking i'll eff it up more,so its always warmed up for a decent amount of time prior to driving. It still drives like its cold tho.
I think it got weak so gradually i didnt notice, but now its at an all time low. Actually i realized how much my performance had dropped,when i drove my moms camry. I remebered when i got the car,it was stronger,quicker than hers. Now..... its like im always driving uphill,struggling to move (slight exageration, but you understand)
Old 06-03-2005, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by instil
The last two definitely apply to my situation. im not sure what you mean exactly by chugging tho. I never drive it cold,thinking i'll eff it up more,so its always warmed up for a decent amount of time prior to driving. It still drives like its cold tho.
I think it got weak so gradually i didnt notice, but now its at an all time low. Actually i realized how much my performance had dropped,when i drove my moms camry. I remebered when i got the car,it was stronger,quicker than hers. Now..... its like im always driving uphill,struggling to move (slight exageration, but you understand)

By chugging, I mean I press the accelerator and it hesitates, accelerates, hesitates, .... for first 20 or 30 seconds of driving. After it's warm, no more chugging, but I had the uphill/struggle to move condition you mentioned.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:31 PM

how do you reprogram the ecu. does nissan have to reprogram it, or is there some way i can reset it?like unhook battery for an hour
Old 06-04-2005, 06:28 PM

I had the dealer re-program it. Not sure if a reset is the same thing or if there is any way to do it yourself. I'd be interested....
Old 06-14-2005, 02:51 PM

Seems to happen to the older 3.5's i agree.