5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Whining sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 06:35 AM
It's business time.

Whining sound

Mainly in 1st and I can faintly hear it in 2nd, I could probably hear it more if it weren't for the intake but it sounds like a winding up sound when accelerating in gear. You know that sound it makes when reversing, it's sort of like that except quieter. There is no performance difference or anything, just the sound. I'm thinking maybe the tranny or the VLSD?
Old 06-03-2005, 06:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Air going through the butterfly valve?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....utterfly+valve

Old 06-03-2005, 06:54 AM
It's business time.

No, I've had the intake on for more than a year and it never made this sound until yesterday. I know the "whistling" sound the butterfly valve makes, this isn't it. Besides, it makes the sound at zero throttle (valve closed). It isn't engine related.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Progress
No, I've had the intake on for more than a year and it never made this sound until yesterday. I know the "whistling" sound the butterfly valve makes, this isn't it. Besides, it makes the sound at zero throttle (valve closed). It isn't engine related.
Gotcha, just thought I'd give it a shot... not sure what it could be then....
Old 06-03-2005, 07:19 AM

Do you hear it in the cabin of the car? If so do you have a sound system?
Old 06-03-2005, 07:40 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by mrmj1218
Do you hear it in the cabin of the car? If so do you have a sound system?
I hear it while driving so yes I'm in the cabin. I have a aftermarket HU, but it isn't related to that at all (on and off). It sounds like it is coming from beyond the firewall.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:18 AM

i ask because i only have an aftermarket headunit and even with the system off i still hear alternator whine sometimes, just a thought
Old 06-03-2005, 08:58 AM
It's business time.

Thanks guys, I still am unsure, will check later.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:12 AM

I've had the same sound for a long time now. It sounds like a supercharger.... wouldn't that be nice.... I'ts been around here a few times but there has been no firm answer that I'm aware of. I think it sounds kind of cool... until my engine falls out or blows up.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:58 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by kcowden
I've had the same sound for a long time now. It sounds like a supercharger.... wouldn't that be nice.... I'ts been around here a few times but there has been no firm answer that I'm aware of. I think it sounds kind of cool... until my engine falls out or blows up.
Mine has gotten louder, more raspier and it is sort of clicking. The lower the gear, the louder the noise. Has yours done this or stayed the same? I think I might call the dealer.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:51 AM

I'm going to throw out the obvious here: transmission? Sometimes I get faint gear whine from my transmission when I first start driving, but it goes away once the oil has gotten a chance to warm up and lube the gears. It never sounds as bad as straight cut reverse gears though and has never done any clicking. Only thing I can think of is if a support bearing developed some play and is causing improper meshing of your gears and/or unusual wear. That's my best guess anyway. Sorry couldn't be of more help. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:34 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by bigEL
I'm going to throw out the obvious here: transmission? Sometimes I get faint gear whine from my transmission when I first start driving, but it goes away once the oil has gotten a chance to warm up and lube the gears. It never sounds as bad as straight cut reverse gears though and has never done any clicking. Only thing I can think of is if a support bearing developed some play and is causing improper meshing of your gears and/or unusual wear. That's my best guess anyway. Sorry couldn't be of more help. Good luck.
Thanks. I changed the gear lube a few 10k miles ago to Amsoil so I'm hoping it isn't that. Could the differential be considered part of the tranny?
Old 06-15-2005, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Progress
Mine has gotten louder, more raspier and it is sort of clicking. The lower the gear, the louder the noise. Has yours done this or stayed the same? I think I might call the dealer.
With the weather being hotter than he11 lately, I've had the windows up. From what I can recall the noise doesn't seem to be getting louder or changing any. If it is making those kinds of sounds I'd take it to the dealer and see what's up. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Hind

I know what your talking about cuz iv'e posted this before. my brother had it on his 95 max and it was louder on his. its just for a little bit in the lower rpms when u kinda get on the gas alil. i wanted to find out what it was to make it louder cuz it sounded kinda cool. What i figure it to be is the tranny, i dont know exactly what in there but im sure its from that. if u ever see like actual "race" cars, their trannys are super loud., i kinda think cuz nissan may not have as much expirence with 5sped trannies as say bmw, maybe sound insolation isnt perfect. or we may have semi-racing trannys.. which is possible cuz our 2nd gears redline at 70mph, which my bro's auto did the same. lol, idk just my 2 cent.

Old 06-15-2005, 10:31 PM

my car does the exact same thing...i was coasting in neutral (as in, not in any gear) down a hill in my school parking lot, and had no radio on and i wasn't pressing on the brakes or the throttle, but i heard this really weird whining sound just like your describing, and i thought it may have been my tires...the faster i got the louder it got....i opened my window and didn't hear it because it was pretty faint, so i just kinda gave up...i don't think it's anything bad though...
Old 06-17-2005, 02:04 PM
It's business time.

AAMCO says its definitely the transmission so they are having me take it in next week. The manager said that most likely my extended warranty will cover the cost of the repair. He also recommended that I replace the clutch while I'm at it. He mentioned something about instead of getting an OEM clutch because they are typically expensive, to get a "Luke" clutches or something? I don't know this is going to be a PITA.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:32 PM
It's business time.

OK, so I watched the mechanic take the tranny apart. No shavings, which was a good sign, forks and gears were looking good so that left the obvious; bearings. The axle bearing was really scratched up. They're going to replace the bearings and the seals. The manager said I should replace the clutch too but he was going to give me the choice of replacing the the "hydrolics" also with the clutch. I guess it will all come down to how much money I want to spend...now. The mechanic said it was good I brought the car in now because the bearings could have caused the axle to blow throught the casing...wheww!