5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 08:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Electrical Problem

This is what happened. I get my HIDs (retrofitted projectors) back yesterday and I ran home and installed them. Everything went fine they are just plug and play. Then I ran to school and came home. It wasn't dark yet, so I wanted until about 10pm to go out and aim them. I aim them correctly and then jump in the car to take it for a test spin. Then I notice my gauges, door locks, windows switches, and non of my (manual) A/C controls are light up. My miles and trip gauges was lit up and my map, clock, and dome lights were working. Then I checked all the fuses and they looked fine. I don't know what happened! Thanks for the help!

Also, my halos are not working either
Old 06-10-2005, 10:26 AM
importuner

did you check "all" your fuses? there are three different locations that have fuses. two under the hood and one by the hood release latch. it sounds like you blew more than one fuse. i would check them all again with a 12v probe. good luck!!!

Old 06-10-2005, 10:31 PM

Well my post did say I checked all. I did not see any that were blown.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:03 PM

I'm not sure if I followed you correctly, did you actually have HID as original factory when you had the car, or you installed the HID. Cuz there are numbers of things that can go wrong, with ballast, to bulb to voltage regulator.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:23 AM

I reinstalled my retofit
Old 06-11-2005, 12:05 PM

What about the dome light **** that turns. Yours may be turned to the position where all the gauges and climate control are off.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:51 PM

Try what importuner said. Take a probe or voltmeter and measure the contacts by the headlight, just to prove there is voltage there or not. If there isn't then it's back to searching for what's blown.(hope it's only a fuse)

Is it possible you forgot to properly secure a gnd point that's common to those circuits you mentioned?
Old 06-12-2005, 02:43 PM

doesnt sound like a fuse, gauge, climate, locks ect are on the same circuit as the clock illumination. But it does narrow it down some - the clock, gauges, climate, radio, locks all share a common positve lead, but the clock, ashtray,glovebx,rear locks have their own ground, where as ground is distributed to all of the lights that are out through the dimmer switch to the left of the steering column. test the 3 leads that run to the switch. if you are looking at the plug to from the terminal side w/ the locking lever (<>) up and the wires running away from you, it should look somthing like this
___<>___
[1 | 2 |3]

-terminal 1 is a switched positive
-terminal 2 i distributes ground to the lights
-terminal 3 is ground

with lights off:
1. open circuit
2. open circuit
3. ground
there should be continuity between 1 & 2

with lights on
1. +14V
2. <+14V
3. ground
Old 06-12-2005, 04:33 PM

this sounds like a dimmer switch problem.

1. make sure its on
2. test the switch (potentiometer sp?)
3. get some help from someone who knows about this stuff better than me
Old 06-12-2005, 05:20 PM
I Miss My Maxima

If your other lights operate normally when the headlights are off then it is a dimmer switch problem as stated above -- that is, if all the lights inside quit working only if you turn on the headlights...
Old 06-12-2005, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Trance Artur
What about the dome light **** that turns. Yours may be turned to the position where all the gauges and climate control are off.
Ok, I am not a retard. Don't you think if i checked my fuses, I would mess with that ****.

thanks roy
Old 06-12-2005, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by SixxOne
Ok, I am not a retard. Don't you think if i checked my fuses, I would mess with that ****.

thanks roy
jeez, cool it...it was a simple suggestion that describes a simple, and sometimes over looked mistake...but i would listen to Dr. Roy on this one, because he knows what he's talking about...