5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stillen Hi-flow Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2001, 05:17 AM

Anyone have any opinions on this mod? Would like to go a bit further in my mods and install a Stillen Hi Flow intake. Yes or no.
Old 05-18-2001, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by RACEFACE
Anyone have any opinions on this mod? Would like to go a bit further in my mods and install a Stillen Hi Flow intake. Yes or no.
Do a search and/or read stickies...there's a whole wealth of information already available.
Old 05-18-2001, 07:18 AM

My personal opinion would be to install OSCAI or PR CAI. If you REALLY want a cone intake rather than the above two, go for a JWT popcharger since they are the same thing except less expensive and not made by Stealin.

If you don't know what any of the above acronyms are, use the search feature
Old 05-18-2001, 07:30 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by punkdork
My personal opinion would be to install OSCAI or PR CAI. If you REALLY want a cone intake rather than the above two, go for a JWT popcharger since they are the same thing except less expensive and not made by Stealin.

ditto
Old 05-18-2001, 11:49 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by punkdork

The filters are different. I ordered the JWT POP because it was cheaper and the design was the same. Once I recieved the JWT I felt the filter was not good quality. It just looked cheap and there were several areas of imperfections with needle-pin size holes. Mine might have been just a "bad apple", but I returned it and had Avalon send me a Stillen POP instead. Now I have seen both up close and I feel the K&N on the Stillen is a much better filter. The quality appeared better than the JWT. Just my opinion, but the filter is all that stands between my engine and the $hit load of dirt out here in the AZ desert.

RACEFACE, the directions from the Stillen suck! Use the search to find some additional help, before you try the install to save you some frustration.
Old 05-18-2001, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

The filters are different. I ordered the JWT POP because it was cheaper and the design was the same. Once I recieved the JWT I felt the filter was not good quality. It just looked cheap and there were several areas of imperfections with needle-pin size holes. Mine might have been just a "bad apple", but I returned it and had Avalon send me a Stillen POP instead. Now I have seen both up close and I feel the K&N on the Stillen is a much better filter. The quality appeared better than the JWT. Just my opinion, but the filter is all that stands between my engine and the $hit load of dirt out here in the AZ desert.

RACEFACE, the directions from the Stillen suck! Use the search to find some additional help, before you try the install to save you some frustration.
Oh, Jeez... now you got me wanting to run out to my garage and pull the filter to inspect it. Anyway, you say the filters are different. Different in quality alone or are there physical differences re: size, etc? The reason I ask this is would it be worth it (if it's even possible) to get a K&N cone and replace the generic?

Hmmm... ever have one of those days where you re-read your post and can't even figure out what YOU'RE trying to say? Looking back on this, I hope you can figure out what I'm asking.

L8R.
Old 05-18-2001, 01:31 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by RcticMax

Oh, Jeez... now you got me wanting to run out to my garage and pull the filter to inspect it. Anyway, you say the filters are different. Different in quality alone or are there physical differences re: size, etc? The reason I ask this is would it be worth it (if it's even possible) to get a K&N cone and replace the generic?

Hmmm... ever have one of those days where you re-read your post and can't even figure out what YOU'RE trying to say? Looking back on this, I hope you can figure out what I'm asking.

L8R.
The dimensions/size of the filter didn't seem different, just the media material(filter element). To the best that I can describe the K&N looked like multiple layers of overlayed guaze, while the JWT looked like melted plastic which was thicker in some areas. They both appeared to have visible holes, but the JWT had areas of LOTS of larger holes. I'm not sure if it would be worth changing the filter, but they make K&N filters in tons of configuration so you might be able to pick one up.

Another difference between the two was the MAF "venturi" machined piece. I'm not sure which is better, but I suspect that shape will affect both sound and I know it will affect air velocity. The shape differences may be why some people have more or less of a whistle especially between the Stillen and JWT.