5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Only when listening to cds? Anyone else get this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 09:37 AM

Only when listening to cds? Anyone else get this?

'02 max gle,

For about the last 6 months (on/off) I have been getting no music out of the left (Driver Side) speakers when listening to CD's

Radio is perfect. So i dont think it is the known (tsb) bose head unit problem (or am i wrong?). I thought the bose problem was losing passenger side speakers not driver? And wasnt it for all music (radio and cd?)

Alot of times If I hit a hard bump or the momentum of the car is high (fast/sharp turn) the left side will go out. This makes me think something is loose, but like I said the radio is perfect. If I am listening to the cd and lose the left side, and switch back to radio it comes back immediatly. Sometimes when I go back to cd after this it works normally, sometimes it doesnt.

When it goes out, If i put the tuner to play all left side speakers it is a quiet static noise while you still vagely hear the right. Switch to radio and it is fine

It comes and it goes, but it seems to be alot worse lately. Any ideas? Anyone have this?
Old 06-16-2005, 09:44 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=315484

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=368622
Old 06-16-2005, 09:53 AM

So I am f'ed if im out of warrenty?
Old 06-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I sure one of our fellow .ORGers will sell you one for cheap.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:52 AM

I have the same problem... so does almost everyone else... easiest fix is to go aftermarket...
Old 06-16-2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by psu711
So I am f'ed if im out of warrenty?

You should be covered under the TSB for this. I've had the same problem as had many many other 5.5th owners. Dealer replaced mine under the TSB and haven't had a problem since.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:01 AM

Wrong Its Tsb Had Same Problem 6th Time Finally Fixed
Old 06-16-2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
You should be covered under the TSB for this. I've had the same problem as had many many other 5.5th owners. Dealer replaced mine under the TSB and haven't had a problem since.
Lucky you... I'm on my 3rd HU, the left side still gets "bumped" out when driving (the sound does come back later, randomly), and I don't give a crap anymore... just gonna suck it up until I either sell the car or find an aftermarket HU that I like...
Old 06-16-2005, 11:04 AM

TXT-1, not sure if I understand. When there is a tsb Nissan will fix the problem (on their dime) regardless of warranty status?

Can someone clarify please. Thanks *confused*
Old 06-16-2005, 11:25 AM

that is not true, they will fix it under warranty
Old 06-16-2005, 11:30 AM

If you are out of your 36K warranty, I think you're out of luck. I happen to have a Nissan extended warranty so they fixed it even though I was past 36K. I think the TSB serves as a guideline for the techs to help them diagnose the problem, it doesn't serve as a voucher for free service if you are out of warranty. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:32 AM

All I know is My dealer told me to go express inapprpriate carnal actions with myself.

For $240 canadian (about 200 us I suppose) my dealer will order in another one. It is important that th HU was MADE after jan of 2003 or something like that, otherwise you just get someones old unit with the loose connection pushed back together, which will pull apart again sometime soon.

If you keep digging there will be a thread that gives the exact info. I can't seem to find the thread that includes instructions on the cable to replace if you want to fix it yourself (properly) though
Old 06-16-2005, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Lucky you... I'm on my 3rd HU, the left side still gets "bumped" out when driving (the sound does come back later, randomly), and I don't give a crap anymore... just gonna suck it up until I either sell the car or find an aftermarket HU that I like...
I am planning on getting the BOSE unit replaced soon as well even though it is working fine for now. So within the next couple months if someone wants a OEM BOSE unit for cheap, let me know.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:35 AM

I think the TSB serves as a guideline for the techs to help them diagnose the problem, it doesn't serve as a voucher for free service if you are out of warranty. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Sounds about right... its just a general fix for a common problem... just makes it easier for techs... its different from a recall...

Then again, I've already messed up twice today, so don't take my word for it...
Old 06-16-2005, 11:55 AM

Very interested in the free aka do it yourself fix guide. If you could find the thread that shows how to fix it I would really appreciate it.

Gotta love premium sound in a "luxury sedan"............
Old 06-16-2005, 03:41 PM
HOOSIER Daddy?

suggest checking out aftermarket
Old 06-16-2005, 03:49 PM

yeah, i'm on my 3rd HU....i'm just gonna give up caring after this one goes (haven't driven 100 miles on the new one..) but i just don't have enough $$$ to go AM, so i'm screwed when it happens....
Old 06-16-2005, 08:12 PM

Anyone have any luck finding a guide to fix it ourselves???

I drive alot for work and just cant get used to it....Hate to spend $$$$ on a-m when we all paid so much for the bose(clarion) name........
Old 06-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Seoul Man

I had the same problem as you. Left side cuts out ONLY when playing CDs. It is the same problem described in the TSB. My car is on its second radio right now. The previous owner of the vehicle had it fixed under warranty. I bought the vehicle with only 1,000 miles left on the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. Now my car is out of warranty and the problem has come back. I have called Nissan North America, and they say that even if the car is out of warranty, the radio replacement is covered for a year. Well, my luck sucks A LOT. It has been 14 months since the previous owner had the radio replaced.

A representative from Nissan North America has called my local dealership and spoken with my service advisor. They may end up giving me a new Bose/Clarion head unit even though it's been over a year since my last replacement. I'm tired of this crap, though. I went ahead and ordered a Panasonic head unit from Crutchfield along with all of the adapters and stuff that I need to make it work with my stock Bose amp and speakers. If Nissan does end up giving me a new head unit, I'm willing to send it to you. I'll PM you if they give me a new one.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:45 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

I have the same problem... so does almost everyone else... easiest fix is to go aftermarket...
Hey hows it going? I wonder how long before this gets locked. Stupid non-searching noobs
Old 06-17-2005, 04:40 AM

spiromax, thanks for the post. I would be happy to work something out with you if/when nissan sends you a h/u. Let me know, thanks!

Yeah Stardust, I would much rather read post after post of people asking how their rims look and what type of aftermarket door handles they can add to their mod list.

Its a message forum, and It is nice to read how others, since so many have had the problem, have dealt with nissan, and dealt with fixing it.

I see you are a donater...If you would like to pay for my membership, I will gladly search everypost before I ever post again. The current search functionality is worthless. I scroll 3-4 pages and If I dont see a title I make a post. Sorry for this unbelievable mistake.

Also, thanks for adding something constructive to the thread.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

After reading trough all this replay, I'm not sure about my issues are the same as you are working throug, I'm lossing sound on my subwoofer, trying to fix it my self, found what I think is the crossover circuit, a circuit board with capacitors and a plastic cubic black piece, I just found something really amazing, every time I press this cubic piece I can hear a click and then I get the subwoofer back, if I release the press the I lost the sound again, I tryed to wrap with tape to keep it press, but doens't work, any clue where can I get this spare?, this circuit board goes from the amplifier to the subwoofer.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:51 PM

i had to pay $250 for my H/U to get refurbished, but once it's done you get a 12 month warranty through clarion so when it happens again(when, not if) it should be covered. my stereo was good for about 6 months after the first time i sent it in, before the same problem started happeneing again. i'm on my 2nd refurbishing and as of now there's a big hole in the dash where my H/U used to be. if it happens again i'm just gonna get a DVD player, if i still have the car.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:44 PM

I am planning on getting the BOSE unit replaced soon as well even though it is working fine for now. So within the next couple months if someone wants a OEM BOSE unit for cheap, let me know.
Let me know how much you want. If I got a spare unit around, I would take it apart and find the offending connection and re-create a fix for this. I simply don't want to take mine out right now (at least I have radio) as I am looking at possibly putting in DVD & Screen.

IF I had a bose to swap out I would not do the DVD
Old 06-17-2005, 04:25 PM

I did some digging for you, I was mistaken, there is no fix instructions.
you can refer to this thread for good info
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=189182
This thread points to a company that knows how to fix it, but at $250US, Id rather spend $240 can for a new unit or try and fix one myslelf (see below)
http://www.carstereohelp.com/nissanBoseMax.htm
Old 06-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Seoul Man

WOW! Nobody should ever pay $250 to get the stock "premium" unit fixed. I paid a TOTAL of $252 dollars on Crutchfield.com for my new Panasonic unit (CQ-C5110U with motorized face) and all of the necessary adapters to make it work with my stock amp, speakers, antenna, and steering wheel audio controls. They also throw in a free dash kit (the stock unit is double DIN and most aftermarkets are single DIN) if you tell them what kind of car you have. The only drawback to this aftermarket head unit is that it is a single CD unit rather than a 6 CD changer. It is superior to my stock Clarion unit in every other way.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Seoul Man

Sorry... forgot to post the link to the head unit I bought to replace my Clarion/Bose.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-l3PWQGa...nfo&i=133C5110
Old 06-17-2005, 06:14 PM

on my 3rd HU and still have the same thing. I just bang my fist on top of the center vents and it comes back on. Some days it takes 2 or 3 hits. It must look funny to other people next to me who think I am about to go "falling down" or something.

I also noticed it almost always does it with CDs that I have burned and not my "industry" CDs. I wonder if it has to do with how they are burned....
Old 06-17-2005, 06:19 PM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by dblrr900
on my 3rd HU and still have the same thing. I just bang my fist on top of the center vents and it comes back on. Some days it takes 2 or 3 hits. It must look funny to other people next to me who think I am about to go "falling down" or something.

I also noticed it almost always does it with CDs that I have burned and not my "industry" CDs. I wonder if it has to do with how they are burned....
Mine doesn't care if the CDs are burned or bought. It does it with all CDs.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:57 PM

I've had these problems as well, and eventually just replaced the whole system, but I did take the Bose head apart several times to tighten up the connections. I was never able to figure out which connection is was that comes loose (since it's a pain to have the thing apart and still connected to the car to test), but there is a ribbon cable that connects the upper (cd changer) section to the lower (tuner) section which I somewhat suspected was the problem. It's not difficult to take apart (the hardest part is getting that stupid upper vent plastic out to pull the head). If you are at all mechanically inclined I would suggest trying to tighten it up yourself rather than spend any money to have someone "fix" it. If you're going to put money into it, you might as well just replace it.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by psu711
The current search functionality is worthless. I scroll 3-4 pages and If I dont see a title I make a post. Sorry for this unbelievable mistake.
You could just donate the $20 so that you'd have access to the search function...
Old 06-19-2005, 08:08 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

You could just donate the $20 so that you'd have access to the search function...
Maybe you could post some hyperlinks for him.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:07 AM

FYI, I have perfected the "Falling Down" Method that was mentioned earlier in the posts.

For all of you having the problem the solution is a fast closed fist right between the vent on your dash.

Actually beneathe the vents, right in between the two ***** that change the direction that the vents blow air. Its right above the tape button.

You have to give it a solid closed fist hit with the bottom of your fist (dont punch it). It seems to work for about 2-3 days before you have to go "falling down" on it again.

Dont be afraid to hit it hard, tapping it wont fix it.

How sad is all of this?

Anywho, hope it helps some of you, I know it annoyed me so much I wouldnt listen to cds anymore.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:24 AM

i find the best way to get sound back is to bang your fist to the left of the climate control unit, but in reality it's probably just loosening the connection that much more, increasing the frequency of the occurrence.

i just think it's retarded that the higher level sound system is plagued with issues and that we actually have to pay to fix it temporarily. if i had known it was gonna be like this i would have opted for the "lesser quality" stereo and worked my way up from there.