5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Are Eibach springs a lot stiffer than H&R?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005 | 09:37 PM

Are Eibach springs a lot stiffer than H&R?

Hey guys, for the 02 max, are the eibachs a lot stiffer than the h&r springs?
I currently have tokico hp's. If eibachs are stiffer than by how much and is the ride harsh?
Old 06-16-2005 | 09:47 PM
importuner

check their spring rates. call h&r and eibach for that information. by knowing the spring rates you'll get the exact answer to your question.
Old 06-16-2005 | 09:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the eibachs are supposedly the 'harsh' ones, while the H&Rs offer the best ride...between the two, i would think it would be no contest, but because of the price difference, a lot go with the eibachs...the reason i like the H&Rs compared to the eibachs is because they are both mild drops, but the H&Rs offer an OEM-like ride, and they are some of the best handling springs available for our maxes, while the eibachs offer somewhat of a harsh ride (not unbearable from what i hear) but still retain the good handling characteristics...

EDIT: but there is no way to tell you which ones you should go with (trust me, i took a REALLY long time deciding on my h-techs) unless you have been in a car with both the eibachs and H&Rs to compare them for yourself...the reason being is that it all depends on personal preference...some people say s-techs aren't harsh while others say they are really harsh...it just depends on what your personal preferences are....
go here: http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/sp..._decision.html for further help on this issue..
Old 06-16-2005 | 09:56 PM

on the spring rate numbers when the number is higher does that mean its stiffer or softer? and what do you guys think of tein h.tech springs, how are they for ride quality?
Old 06-16-2005 | 09:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by AKOGAN
on the spring rate numbers when the number is higher does that mean its stiffer or softer? and what do you guys think of tein h.tech springs, how are they for ride quality?
i'm not too familiar with the spring rate differences, and i'm not gonna feed you with information that i know is not 100% true, so i'll wait for someone else to chime in on that one....
as for the h-techs: those are what i went with (haven't installed them yet, however) because i hear the ride isn't bad like the s-techs/eibachs and they offer an even drop and good handling characteristics...again though, this all has to do with personal preference and not one person can tell you how the ride is with the h-techs...only you can determine that for yourself

see my edited post above...maybe that will help out
Old 06-16-2005 | 10:07 PM

cool, thanks.
Old 06-17-2005 | 05:40 AM

I've had both (on my KYB AGX Struts) and I can tell you that the Eibachs are were noticeably far more jarring than the H&R's. The Eibachs were definitely much stiffer.
Old 06-17-2005 | 06:12 AM
BP
Donating Maxima.org Member

i have eibachs on the front only and while i only have the stock to compare it to, they are fairly harsh. and the SE was a fairly harsh ride to begin with anyway but the eibachs do not soak up any road imperfections at all and can be jarring. that said, even though they're harsh it's not bouncy at all and they're very predictable and settle well.

your tire size, pressure, and sidewall stiffness also contribute to the perceived ride quality or harshness.
Old 06-17-2005 | 09:25 AM
mjg

eibachs are a much stiffer ride...

Yet, to me, they handle much better. They have great synergy with KYB AGX. Some people that i know to have illuminas and H&R setup were quite impressed with my car's handling.

I did suspension for strictly handling, i don't care as much about the ride quality or drop quality. So that's my take.
Old 06-17-2005 | 01:09 PM
Maxima Pilot

Ahhh...sorry, but.....neither Eibach nor H&R will disclose spring rates. I tried several times, even calling Germany and no can do, they wont disclose them. Maybe someone with a sping or shock dyno has the data but....no numbers out there that I know of

And yes, H&Rs are noticeably softer....been there, done that...I had Eibachs and switched to H&Rs to soften up the ride a bit as these cars are not meant to be harsh, slammed sports cars
Old 06-17-2005 | 01:32 PM

If anyone is looking for a set of H&R's, I have a set for sale. Asking $150 shipped in the continental US FIRM.
let me know,
Lam
Old 06-17-2005 | 07:55 PM
Bigger than Jesus

Yes Eibachs are stiff. I had them for awhile and the ride is pretty harsh. I switched to h techs and they are softer than the eibachs but can still be harsh at times.
Old 06-17-2005 | 11:06 PM

eibachs are really stiff, and at times my ride can be harsh. but i love em, and i never really notice how stiff they are cause im too busy swerving to avoid potholes (without my car leaning, of course)

muahahaha
Old 06-21-2005 | 07:19 PM

From what I hear, Eibachs are rough. I went with H&R's and I LOVE them. Not too rough, and handle like a dream.
Old 06-21-2005 | 07:37 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by importuner
check their spring rates. call h&r and eibach for that information. by knowing the spring rates you'll get the exact answer to your question.
SHUT UP!
Old 06-22-2005 | 04:32 PM

The Eibach/ illumina set-up is amazing. It definately aint the cushy, bouncy stock ride, but I dont think they are too bad. Dont get me wrong, they are definately a stiff spring, but only on REALLY sh!tty surfaces does it ever bother me.

I chose the eibachs because I wanted what I heard were the best handling springs... I am now a believer. I will go out of my way to find a nice road with fast sweeping curves. This boat corners like it's on rails.

Furthermore, I always thought I would have to deal with complaints from passengers about the stiff ride (not that I really care )... Comments are quite to the contrary though. I always hear about how SMOOTH and controled the car feels (yes, I said smooth). I believe this is because the car doesn't bounce around like most cars do when they hit a dip. You do have to watch for craters, sharp dips, and speed bumps, but hey, I dont drive like a madman around town anyway so it's not a problem. BTW, I have the shocks on the stiffest setting and have since day one.

Bottom line, If you are just looking for a drop and improved handling, while retaining a close to stock ride, go with the H&Rs or H-Techs. If you are looking for a nice drop with an emphasis on great performance and can handle a relatively stiff ride, It's the eibachs all the way.
Old 06-23-2005 | 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Blk2kMAXSE
If anyone is looking for a set of H&R's, I have a set for sale. Asking $150 shipped in the continental US FIRM.
let me know,
Lam
I just emailed you. Let me know what it would cost if I picked them up.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 07-05-2005 | 11:29 AM

yes they are.