5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rattle--possibly timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gears & Crosses
Yes, thats what I was referring to. I would comb over your PCV system like a fine tooth comb. Give it a try, those parts should be cheap.

Gears
Did it last weekend. PCV is working fine. I also looked closely at the inside of my intake and didn't see any excessive oil. The G35Frenzy.com guys think they're seeing blow-by as well.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stevay
dont know how i missed this thread but i have the same noise around the same rpm range when cruising or revving it in idle as it reaches those rpm's sounds just like that cold start rattle as stated before. i'm going to take it to the dealer before my warranty runs up for that and my ses light for p0138
Insist on a new engine. Make them do a compression test if that's what it takes. Check your oil before you go in to make sure the level is correct (I bet it's low) because the noise was what led me down this path.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by GBAUER
Insist on a new engine. Make them do a compression test if that's what it takes. Check your oil before you go in to make sure the level is correct (I bet it's low) because the noise was what led me down this path.
what they gave you a new engine? how can I "insist" on a new engine not like they are going to go ok we will give you one. you know how stubborn some dealers can be.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:17 AM

Did it last weekend. PCV is working fine. I also looked closely at the inside of my intake and didn't see any excessive oil. The G35Frenzy.com guys think they're seeing blow-by as well.
Does your car have blue smoke out the exhaust on start up or while running?
Old 07-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gears & Crosses
Does your car have blue smoke out the exhaust on start up or while running?
Occaisionally a small puff when running it hard up to red and it upshifts. Can't get it to smoke any other time. I think the cat's doing it's job.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stevay
what they gave you a new engine? how can I "insist" on a new engine not like they are going to go ok we will give you one. you know how stubborn some dealers can be.
No, they didn't give me a new engine because I'm WAY out of warranty. But, since you still have one, go in and complain about the rattle and, if you're losing it, the loss of oil. Tell them to do a compression test to see if it still meets specs. I'll bet it doesn't.

Puppetmaster and a few others have gotten new blocks out of the deal.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:50 AM

Occaisionally a small puff when running it hard up to red and it upshifts. Can't get it to smoke any other time. I think the cat's doing it's job.
OK, I was just wondering where all that oil was going if it didn't smoke. I seem to remember a similar problem on LS-1(GM) engines. They did something to the PCV system to cure this.

It sounds like you did a compression test on yours. How were the results?

Gears
Old 07-22-2005, 03:18 PM

gbauer, you get a response out of nissan after that email? i had a similar problem except mine sounded like squeeking, checked the oil and it was low (i recently changed over to synthetic as well) topped it off and things seem to be better...this thread is starting to scare me :-\
Old 07-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Its scaring the hell out of me, because i notice my 03 seems to burn a little oil. my 02 would never lose a drop of oil. now i just changed my oil and a week later it was a little low WTF
Old 07-22-2005, 03:44 PM
Wat

Sooner: do you still have your stock precats (IE, no headers)?

boondox: did you purchase the 03 new?
Old 07-23-2005, 01:36 AM

just got my car back from regal nissan today - good news and bad news
good news is my engine is not destroyed (supposedly)
bad news is there was ONE freakin quart of oil in the engine
i use mobil1 5w-30 and changed it myself about 4k miles ago/2 months (i was due for a change)
so my oil is fresh and full and the noise is gone... but i am pissed that my engine burned over 3 quarts of oil in such a short time!

WTF???????
Old 07-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Banned

No response from Nissan yet. I'm going to do Irish's resevour mod, but i don't I'll get all my oil back that way.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:40 PM

I have 37,000 miles on my 03, is the timing chain still covered on warrenty?
Old 09-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by 03maxima1
I have 37,000 miles on my 03, is the timing chain still covered on warrenty?
yes...its part of 60K powertrain warranty
Old 09-08-2005, 12:18 PM

I have about 67K, but have not checked the oil lately. I never considered that this would be an issue, I guess I better keep watch on the dipstick.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
yes...its part of 60K powertrain warranty
Thanks, I'll have to get it looked at then.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:48 AM

i've been hearing a rattle going up hill at around 2000k-2300k... and last time i got a oil change they told me that my oil was pretty low and really dark.... it was the first time i used mobil 1 syn.... i'm gonna be checking my oil level alot this time around... god damn this is scaring the crap out of me.... shouldn't the oil light come on if the oil is low????
Old 09-09-2005, 08:58 AM

it seems a lot of us are suffering from this!
Old 09-09-2005, 10:26 AM

Dammit, I also noticed a low rattle at about 2k rpm, but I attributed it to putting regular gas in my car and getting an engine knock. Been running super again for 2 tanks now and I thought I heard the rattle again the other day.

Is this mainly for 6 spd's or auto's as well. I'll have to listen more carefully now to see if I can hear it again.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by zmax26
Dammit, I also noticed a low rattle at about 2k rpm, but I attributed it to putting regular gas in my car and getting an engine knock. Been running super again for 2 tanks now and I thought I heard the rattle again the other day.

Is this mainly for 6 spd's or auto's as well. I'll have to listen more carefully now to see if I can hear it again.
auto's as well.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would like to contribute as well..

I have the same sounds.

Been reported to my dealer since April 2005. Apparently my dealer has a 2k4 in with the same problem.. Finally the 2k4's got its engine approved for replacement. My service manager told me, mine should be coming but the engine replacement approval from NNA takes FOREVER!!!!... The 2k4 approval took nearly 6 months or so.

I think my oil burning is WAY WORSE THAN ALL YOU GUYS!!.. In 600kms, i was able to burn from FULL mark on the dip to LOW mark. That is 1 weeks worth of driving. I am tired of NISSAN, and the VQ35DE is a piece of $hit. This issue isnt just wiht hte maxima. I scanned the g35driver.com board as well as the 350z and GUESS WHAT!! They have the same damn issues too with excessive oil loss.

This is my 3rd nissan maxima. 1999 max se, 2002 max se, and finally my 2003 max se. My mom drives the 99 and even with 180K the VQ30 in her car is NO PROBLEMS!! still runs stronger than mine. My 2k2 was smashed up. And my 2k3 with only 77,000kms is already exhibiting the brinks of serious engine failure. I fill up a liter ever 1 to 1.5 weeks. My fuel economy is shot to $hit especially with the expensive gas these days. And i am FREAKIN PISSED OFF with nissan's overall reliability. Never will i buy another nissan again. I thought my dad's mercedes was bad, well at least his engine lasted till 120,000kms before needing replacement.

But then again, what car out htere is really all that reliable anyways? Stupid VQ35's.. I like my car but these issues is not minor. If i decide never ot add oil over the next few weeks, I am sure my motor will be dead. Perhaps I will choose this approach, cuz i am sick and tired of waiting for those guys at NNA to do something.

I mean they told my dealer to mess around with my PCV valve and some gaskets.. PROBLEM STILL REMAINS. If i grenade my motor with no oil, maybe i can let them keep my crapima and have ASP pay for my RENTAL CAR until they replace it.. I am sick of this $hit.

BTW.. its not my dealers fault. they have been amazing to me, and half the toronto maxima club goes to this one dealer!! Kudo's for their hard work.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MiniRX7
I would like to contribute as well..
Have them flush the engine and check the catalytic converter. Regardless, if the engine is replaced, insist that they change the cat because all the oil you're burning is combusted there and will eventually clog it up. The engine flush won't stop the oil burn, but may will slow the rattle. However, in your case, I bet the rattle is form a lack of oil, not a clog so the flush may not do anything.

Oh, and one other thing, please, for the love of God get your dyslexia taken care of! Reading through your post gave me a headache!
Old 09-11-2005, 09:17 PM

Have them flush the engine and check the catalytic converter. Regardless, if the engine is replaced, insist that they change the cat because all the oil you're burning is combusted there and will eventually clog it up. The engine flush won't stop the oil burn, but may will slow the rattle. However, in your case, I bet the rattle is form a lack of oil, not a clog so the flush may not do anything.

Oh, and one other thing, please, for the love of God get your dyslexia taken care of! Reading through your post gave me a headache!
Why are you banned?
Old 09-12-2005, 09:44 AM

Hey guys, I have the exact same problem. I have about 56k miles on my 2k2. I took my car to the dealership last week. They said that it was due to low oil pressure b/c the oil filter that was on it (FRAM) did not have a control valve that Nissan filter's have. He said this was causing the low oil pressure. I've been driving it a couple of days now and have still noticed the rattling. I'm going to be taking it back shortly.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:47 PM
ABS

Folks -

I have an '02 and the good news is that it is not yet burning any oil. I have been running Mobil One since my first oil change around 500 miles. I do have some ideas as to what is happening here though:

1. Is it possible that the two pre-cats over-heated due to very spirited driving and/or a rich fuel mixture and little pieces of the cat got sucked into the engine? David B. was telling me that this is a big issue on 2.5 Alti's and that he's already seen a couple of Max's with the issue. Of note, David's comment was that both engines use the same pre-cats and that they are located very close to the exhaust valves. I think the compression test would be a good indicator for this.

If it turns out this is the problem then it would seem that the real culprit is the ECM program and/or faulty sensors.

Has everyone with the problem had the recalls for the cam/crank position sensors and the MAF/ECM code performed?

2. Is it possible that the main cat got clogged up? I think I remember seeing someone (was it GBAUER?) who had this problem. Replacing the rear cat resolved a number of performance issues he was having including excessive oil consumption.

If we do determine that indeed the problem is with the cats, are there cheap replacements available aftermarket?

Just food for thought.

Andrew
Old 09-12-2005, 03:45 PM

the best way to tell an exhaust restriction short of unbolting at the ex. manifold is with a vacuum gauge.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by BewstAdd1ct
the best way to tell an exhaust restriction short of unbolting at the ex. manifold is with a vacuum gauge.
Is this gauge really that helpful in terms of troubleshooting exhaust issues?
Old 09-13-2005, 12:27 PM

hi, could you expand on why a clogged cat would cause oil consumption? i think i am issing something here...

Originally Posted by ABS
Folks -

I have an '02 and the good news is that it is not yet burning any oil. I have been running Mobil One since my first oil change around 500 miles. I do have some ideas as to what is happening here though:

1. Is it possible that the two pre-cats over-heated due to very spirited driving and/or a rich fuel mixture and little pieces of the cat got sucked into the engine? David B. was telling me that this is a big issue on 2.5 Alti's and that he's already seen a couple of Max's with the issue. Of note, David's comment was that both engines use the same pre-cats and that they are located very close to the exhaust valves. I think the compression test would be a good indicator for this.

If it turns out this is the problem then it would seem that the real culprit is the ECM program and/or faulty sensors.

Has everyone with the problem had the recalls for the cam/crank position sensors and the MAF/ECM code performed?

2. Is it possible that the main cat got clogged up? I think I remember seeing someone (was it GBAUER?) who had this problem. Replacing the rear cat resolved a number of performance issues he was having including excessive oil consumption.

If we do determine that indeed the problem is with the cats, are there cheap replacements available aftermarket?

Just food for thought.

Andrew
Old 09-13-2005, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MiniRX7
hi, could you expand on why a clogged cat would cause oil consumption? i think i am issing something here...
If there's too much back pressure it has to go somewhere. The way it was explained to me the back pressure was leaked into the crank-case via the rings. This increased the pressure in the crankcase and the oil was vented out the intake where it entered the combustion chamber and got burned. However, I'm still puffin' a little oil even after the cat was replaced.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by 03maxima1
Is this gauge really that helpful in terms of troubleshooting exhaust issues?

absolutely, you can tell many things about the way a car is running with a vacuum gauge...

basically, a no load, raised RPM (2500ish) will provide more flow than the cat can deal with... if the engine cant push the gas out, it cant bring a gas in, which causes a decrease in vacuum.

normally, holding at 2500 would give 18-22" or so... maybe a little lower. a restricted exhaust that figure will drop slowly, usually down to below 10", depending on how bad it is...
Old 09-13-2005, 05:56 PM

I had the recall done for the Cam/Crank sensor, but not the MAF/ECM reprogram though...
Old 09-14-2005, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by BewstAdd1ct
absolutely, you can tell many things about the way a car is running with a vacuum gauge...

basically, a no load, raised RPM (2500ish) will provide more flow than the cat can deal with... if the engine cant push the gas out, it cant bring a gas in, which causes a decrease in vacuum.

normally, holding at 2500 would give 18-22" or so... maybe a little lower. a restricted exhaust that figure will drop slowly, usually down to below 10", depending on how bad it is...
I would get the Autometer C2 style. Is this the gauge your referring to:
Full Sweep Electric
Boost/Vacuum - 30 In Hg.-Vac./30 PSI
I would not have any use for the boost option but the gauge has both options and is not separate.
Thanks
Old 09-14-2005, 05:06 PM

no, this is what im talking about:

Old 09-14-2005, 05:18 PM

After having my shortblock replaced about 1 1/2 months ago due to oil burning issue. My car started to make a rattling noise under decceleration around 2-2.5k. I took the car in last friday morning, after calling on friday afternoon, saturday afternoon and monday and tuesday, today I finally got a concrete answer.

They ordered parts for my car, apparently some type of gasket or two. Also, I've been told that the guy who moves the cars hit a jack or something and messed up my door.
The service advisor told me the part will be on monday or so, and car should be ready from bodyshop on wednesday. I am going there tomorrow morning to switch rentals, so I'll definitely check it out and maybe take some pictures.

About the bodyshop situation:

What should I ask? I already told the service advisor about a small nick i have in my rear fender and she said it would be no problem to fix that as well. I know they don't have their own bodyshop too, which just might be better than if they did.

I'm tired of not having my car already.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GuZo
After having my shortblock replaced about 1 1/2 months ago due to oil burning issue. My car started to make a rattling noise under decceleration around 2-2.5k. I took the car in last friday morning, after calling on friday afternoon, saturday afternoon and monday and tuesday, today I finally got a concrete answer.

They ordered parts for my car, apparently some type of gasket or two. Also, I've been told that the guy who moves the cars hit a jack or something and messed up my door.
The service advisor told me the part will be on monday or so, and car should be ready from bodyshop on wednesday. I am going there tomorrow morning to switch rentals, so I'll definitely check it out and maybe take some pictures.

About the bodyshop situation:

What should I ask? I already told the service advisor about a small nick i have in my rear fender and she said it would be no problem to fix that as well. I know they don't have their own bodyshop too, which just might be better than if they did.

I'm tired of not having my car already.
First off, get the grill and engine cover painted to match the car while it's in the shop. See my sig. You'll love it when it's done!

Secondly, please post what gaskets/parts they are replacing. We want to hear what's the scoop.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:06 AM

First off, get the grill and engine cover painted to match the car while it's in the shop. See my sig. You'll love it when it's done!

Secondly, please post what gaskets/parts they are replacing. We want to hear what's the scoop.

Dealer already did this GASKET thing on my car.. Did not help at all..

Spoke to two dealers and service managers, they are FULLY aware about the VQ35DE burning oil problems... N
Old 09-16-2005, 02:05 PM
ABS

For those of you burning oil, at what mileage did you first notice the problem and do you have any other drivability problems related to the issue such as a loss of power, etc.?
Old 09-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ABS
For those of you burning oil, at what mileage did you first notice the problem and do you have any other drivability problems related to the issue such as a loss of power, etc.?
Mileage: around 80k. Other problems: didn't notice them at first, but it eventually killed my cat.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:40 AM

Mine was early at about 65,000kms. I am now at nearly 80,000kms, and been burning oil for nearly 15,000kms. I think even if hte leak was repaired, as a result of the multiple times the oil level dropped, I think my engine is already damaged.

I have symptoms of poor fuel economy and loss of power.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:43 AM

Found out today Nissan is replacing my engine due to the oil consumption
issue.

Quick Reply: Rattle--possibly timing chain